Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 23:23   #1

Bought a demo bike | Engine seized | Update: Just a fuel flow problem

Hi Everyone,

I own June 2019 Gixxer SF 250 BS4. It was a test ride vehicle and after the BS6 release, I bought it in Mar 2021. it was only 1000km on the odometer when I bought it. I have been riding it for 1 year and 5 months and I have completed 26000km. today suddenly bike stopped in between the road without any noise or jittering. I took it to the nearest mechanic shop. It is a Bosch 2-wheeler service center in Bangalore. After diagnosing they said that there is no compression in the engine.

Can anyone help what could be the reason for this?

They are saying the valve could be bent but I didn't hear any harsh or loud noise from the engine.

What are the damages I could be having?

When I bought the bike they said that bike has 5 years extended warranty but I am afraid they can reject the warranty because the bike was serviced only once when it was a test-ride vehicle. after I bought the bike I got it serviced only at the authorised Suzuki centre and every time before completing the service interval.

Can they reject the warranty just based on the bike not getting serviced even when it was only 1000km driven in the first 1 year and 8-9 months and it was under Suzuki dealer ownership?

I bought the bike from Rohtak, Haryana and it was in the name of a premium Suzuki dealer in Rohtak and now I am in Bangalore. I will be getting it repaired from the Ninestar Suzuki HSR layout.

MOD NOTE : Please capitalize wherever required. Also, please go through Posting Etiquettes thread.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th September 2022 at 10:30. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
phoenix.rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 16:01   #2
BHPian

re: Bought a demo bike | Engine seized | Update: Just a fuel flow problem

How can we comment unless the service center in Bangalore has had a look and given their opinion?

Either ways your bike's warranty should be honored as long as you have carried out every service once it came under your possession. What happened or didn't happen when it was a TR bike isn't your responsibility. Or wise Suzuki shouldn't have greenlit your extended warranty while selling it to you.
TROOPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 16:23   #3
BHPian

When Suzuki itself has provided the warranty after it sold the TR bike to you, it has no grounds to reject it. Hope you have the documentation for the warranty though.

Give the bike some rest, make sure there's adequate fuel, and try to start it again tomorrow. If it doesn't fire up even after a few attempts, take it to the SVC.

Even if they reject the warranty, replacing a bent valve is not likely to cost too much. It could also be something as minor as a worn valve seal or head gasket.
drt_rdr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 21:44   #4

Update on this.

The next day I took the bike to the authorised service centre by loading it in a truck. First, they tried to start the bike and it didn't. After a few attempts, they called another mechanic from the shop. He also tried but the bike didn't start. Then he opened the fuel lid and closed it. Just by doing this bike started on the next attempt.

It was really strange. The service centre mechanic was saying that there is some battery issue. I am going to get my battery checked.
phoenix.rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 22:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix.rider View Post
Update on this.

The next day I took the bike to the authorised service centre by loading it in a truck. First, they tried to start the bike and it didn't. After a few attempts, they called another mechanic from the shop. He also tried but the bike didn't start. Then he opened the fuel lid and closed it. Just by doing this bike started on the next attempt.

It was really strange. The service centre mechanic was saying that there is some battery issue. I am going to get my battery checked.
If the fuel lid opening and closing did the trick then how can it be a battery issue.
The issue is that the breather line for your fuel tank is choked, either with dirt or rust. Vaccum was generated with petrol consumption, which stopped flow into your fuel pump, hence no start.

The main question is, did you not open your fuel tank even once to physically check if there was enough petrol in the tank? Because doing so would have automatically broken the vacuum and your bike would have started immediately. (assuming no other repairs were carried out on the bike from the time the bike reached the service station and the bike starting after the fuel tank lid was opened)
kosjam is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 22:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was really strange. The service centre mechanic was saying that there is some battery issue.
Strange it is but the analysis seems stranger IMO.

- If its a low battery issue shouldn't it get worse with each crank?
I had an Activa which used to sometimes start after 5-6 cranks and the issue was initially passed off as battery related by the ASC, turned out to be a faulty relay. My argument was that if the battery is low then it shouldn't start at a later crank as the battery would be worse than what it was at the first crank.
Do check that as well.

- If the issue was fixed after the tank was open and shut shouldn't it be more fueling/carburettor related rather than battery ?

- Maybe the mechanic was talking about two different problems? He happened to notice a battery issue while he was attending to your starting issue ?

Keep us posted.

Last edited by shancz : 11th September 2022 at 22:35. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 23:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
If the fuel lid opening and closing did the trick then how can it be a battery issue.
The issue is that the breather line for your fuel tank is choked, either with dirt or rust. Vacuum was generated with petrol consumption, which stopped flow into your fuel pump, hence no start.

The main question is, did you not open your fuel tank even once to physically check if there was enough petrol in the tank? Because doing so would have automatically broken the vacuum and your bike would have started immediately. (assuming no other repairs were carried out on the bike from the time the bike reached the service station and the bike starting after the fuel tank lid was opened)
I did not open the lid because I refuelled it to full a few days back and fuel indicator was just one bar less out of 6. I will check my fuel breather line. Need to find where it is located in my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Strange it is but the analysis seems stranger IMO.

- If its a low battery issue shouldn't it get worse with each crank?
I had an Activa which used to sometimes start after 5-6 cranks and the issue was initially passed off as battery related by the ASC, turned out to be a faulty relay. My argument was that if the battery is low then it shouldn't start at a later crank as the battery would be worse than what it was at the first crank.
Do check that as well.

- If the issue was fixed after the tank was open and shut shouldn't it be more fueling/carburettor related rather than battery ?

- Maybe the mechanic was talking about two different problems? He happened to notice a battery issue while he was attending to your starting issue ?

Keep us posted.
I think the battery is fine because I checked the voltage as well when I was diagnosing and it was around 12.9V. Even with so many cranks before the battery started the bike in one go after opening the lid.

I think the issue might be the breather line being choked as pointed out by kosjam.

I will check it and keep you posted.

It's a very good learning for me.
Rather than thinking engine seized, value bent maybe I should look for simpler issues first.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th September 2022 at 00:09. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
phoenix.rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 07:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I did not open the lid because I refuelled it to full a few days back and fuel indicator was just one bar less out of 6.
One piece of advice unrelated to this specific problem but should be used as a general guidance principle is "NEVER TRUST THE ELECTRONICS".

Any issue you face with the engine, always cross check fuel level, oil level, and if water cooled, water level physically, be it via dip stick, level gauge or opening the tank itself.
Its the non computer version of "switch it off and turn it on again"

kosjam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 08:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the battery is fine
I think the issue might be the breather line being choked as pointed out by kosjam.
Rather than thinking engine seized, value bent maybe I should look for simpler issues first.
So is the engine working now? Or it the diagnosis still being reported as seized? And since you haven't brought it up, I'm guessing the warranty isn't an issue irrespective of it being a demo bike.

If it is so, the thread heading needs to be corrected; given the current situation.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Hello,

An engine seizure happens with a lot of symptoms before it actually seizes.

Following are a few of them:

1. Heating above normal, could be indicated by the temp gauge or can be felt around the legs.
2. Coarse sounding engine.
3. Partial loss of power or reduced power.
4. Abnormal cyclical or continuous noise (low to medium intensity).
5. A loud thud and complete loss of power.

Surprisingly how a Bosch service center diagnosed loss of compression.

Total loss of power in an engine will happen only with zero fuel supply to engine, in all other cases there will be partial loss of power or the bike will start and stop intermittently.

A seized engine will never be able to turn, and in an exceptional case even if you can turn it with battery, the motor will either trip or burn out due to overload.
Brumby is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:40   #11

Re: Bought a demo bike | Engine seized | Update: Just a fuel flow problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So is the engine working now? Or it the diagnosis still being reported as seized? And since you haven't brought it up, I'm guessing the warranty isn't an issue irrespective of it being a demo bike.

If it is so, the thread heading needs to be corrected; given the current situation.
No, now it is not reported as seized. The Bosch Service centre guy must have made a prejudice with the diagnosis they performed. Now the engine is working fine but this might arise again. So to avoid that I am just going to check the breather line.

I checked with the Bangalore authorised service centre and they confirmed that the bike has a 5 yr extended warranty. The situation didn't arrive for me to available the warranty benefit so can't comment if they can still reject with the previous history or not.
phoenix.rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:13   #12
BHPian

About the extended warranty. Since you bought the vehicle 2nd hand, a service center can look at service history and deny warranty (I think).

Though its strange the dealership did not perform routine maintenance while the bike was a test vehicle. They would ideally want to keep the vehicle in top condition, and all expenses of the free service would be charged to the company anyway.

I would suggest you should explain the situation to OEM customer service and get the warranty validated in an email.
You should not be both charged for extended warranty AND denied a claim due to negligence at the dealership.
Old 12th September 2022, 13:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I own June 2019 Gixxer SF 250 BS4. It was a test ride vehicle and after the BS6 release, I bought it in Mar 2021. it was only 1000km on the odometer when I bought it.
My brother has Gixxer and he had similar fate. Dealer workshop did not do it for some strange reason. He shelled out a big amount to fix this in a private garage. He simply stopped going to dealer w.s. from then onwards and he never supported me choosing a Suzuki bike at all. He says there is an inherent quality issue with Suzuki engines. I do not have any first hand experience. I do not remember the odo when this happened but surely not in the 20s but around 5k to 10k max. It was around 2 to 3 years old then, when this happened. Bike never came back to the original state but he is still living with it as he does not have any option.

Last edited by sgmuser : 12th September 2022 at 13:58. Reason: typo
Old 13th September 2022, 01:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

While you're at it. Make sure your tank breather hoses are routed correctly. A pinched hose can result in a similar issue. Also make sure you don't overfill the fuel tank, as fuel can enter the canister instead of vapor. This can cause a vapor lock and the fuel pump to starve or hard start after a stop, especially under sun for while.

I'd strongly recommend you do a leakdown/compression check, with you in person making sure there aren't any sinister issues overlooked owing purely for peace of mind. If it requires you to remove the fuel tank, it'd be a good idea to clean/replace the fuel filter, whichever warrants in your case. Get all your electrical components/connectors checked to satisfaction, especially your charging circuitry and doubly make sure your battery is tested with a proper battery LOAD tester, which will let you know the life of the battery.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 20:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
It's a very good learning for me.

Relieved to know that it was a minor issue. While it is understandable that you may not have knowledge about mechanicals and electricals of a bike.

But, what is surprising is that Bosch Two wheeler service centre mechanics (who are supposed to be professionals) missed checking the basics i.e. fuel supply, current supply and spark plug..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks