Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 03:01   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
Hi Boniver,
I read you own a Suzuki max 100. I’m in the process of restoring by dad’s 1986 Ind Suzuki. I’m in need of some parts and finding it difficult to source it in Pune. Can you please help me source it? I’m in Bangalore currently on a business trip & plan to leave on coming Saturday.
I moved from Bangalore to Gurgaon last month, otherwise i would've loved to catch up and join you in your parts hunt.

You can try to find some AX100 parts at the following shops in Commercial Street. You may give them a call before visiting them:

1. AB Auto Parts: 9845092599
2. Balaji Auto Parts: 8025586678

All the best!

Last edited by boniver : 11th August 2022 at 03:03.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 08:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I moved from Bangalore to Gurgaon last month, otherwise i would've loved to catch up and join you in your parts hunt.

You can try to find some AX100 parts at the following shops in Commercial Street. You may give them a call before visiting them:

1. AB Auto Parts: 9845092599
2. Balaji Auto Parts: 8025586678

All the best!
Thanks buddy! Will call them & try to get the parts today only. Here are some pics of the restoration process. It’s been a long and tedious process & going on since Jan 2021, hope it comes to life in Aug 2022.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-63c4c97559ce41d8a9868220b73d4dc1.jpeg  

My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-83d4da94e4f445cf8e69be0cf879b99c.jpeg  

My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-eb3650c817fa4468a9cbd0858bbb8b32.jpeg  

My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-5a7eec001d654bce928eb5c577b5bee1.jpeg  

My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-7de90eb075be400cb618200f33cb9bfe.jpeg  

knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 19:27   #18
BHPian

Ind- Suzuki Update:

Guys I have finally revived by dad’s 1985 AX100. It’s far from what it use to look originally. The performance however is amazing. The sound and smoke from the silencer instantly transforms me back to my childhood days. I’ve some amazing memories with this bike and I learned to drive on this one. I’ve named it ‘FireBlade’ (I name all my automobiles).
Restoring this bike was a gruelling task. It took me 4 years and multiple mechanics to get in the shape it is. I’ll write a detailed review of this soon. After taking the bike from the mechanic who finally got it running went for 50 kms drive and it was amazing.
There are some more parts pending which I’ll complete once I get my hands on original or very close it. The parts mainly pending are:
1. Front crash guard.
2. Saree guard.
3. Rear seat ring.

Will post regular updates since I plan to use it as my daily commute now.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-d28cf812147f4cb4a3cb0ca228f434fe.jpeg  

knightfurry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 22:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Ind- Suzuki Update:

Guys I have finally revived by dad’s 1985 AX100. It’s far from what it use to look originally. The performance however is amazing. The sound and smoke from the silencer instantly transforms me back to my childhood days. I’ve some amazing memories with this bike and I learned to drive on this one. I’ve named it ‘FireBlade’ (I name all my automobiles).
Restoring this bike was a gruelling task. It took me 4 years and multiple mechanics to get in the shape it is. I’ll write a detailed review of this soon. After taking the bike from the mechanic who finally got it running went for 50 kms drive and it was amazing.
There are some more parts pending which I’ll complete once I get my hands on original or very close it. The parts mainly pending are:
1. Front crash guard.
2. Saree guard.
3. Rear seat ring.

The final outcome is great! You can find the seat ring with Balaji, I got one piece for myself a couple of months ago. You can find his contact details in my previous post. Your bike is also missing the chain cover, and the tvs sticker in front of the meter is looking odd, you can get that changed to suzuki or Ind suzuki at any sticker place. The lower chrome half of the meter and the Ind Suzuki tank monograms are available with various Facebook sellers too, even though you’ve stickered the suzuki branding on the tank, wouldn’t hurt to keep a set of original monograms for the future.

All the best, and I’m glad to see another 2 stroke come alive!
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 22:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
The final outcome is great! You can find the seat ring with Balaji, I got one piece for myself a couple of months ago. You can find his contact details in my previous post. Your bike is also missing the chain cover, and the tvs sticker in front of the meter is looking odd, you can get that changed to suzuki or Ind suzuki at any sticker place. The lower chrome half of the meter and the Ind Suzuki tank monograms are available with various Facebook sellers too, even though you’ve stickered the suzuki branding on the tank, wouldn’t hurt to keep a set of original monograms for the future.

All the best, and I’m glad to see another 2 stroke come alive!
Thanks dude. You have keen eye! Yes I plan to do those upgrades now. My primary goal was to get it running and next on my list is making it road legal.
I had got the Ind Suzuki monogram from one of the sellers on Facebook and it turned out to be of cheap quality, I’ve lost faith in those guys. Please do share any FB links of trusted spare parts dealer. I’ll visit Balaji next time I’m in Bangalore
Old 10th March 2023, 13:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Almost every RX100 from Bangalore had these 2 mods:
- Bigger round headlamp (probably from a Yezdi)
- 16" rear wheel (also from a Yezdi)

I never understood the logic behind these mods. One thing was sure though, both mods ruined the look of the RX100.
Old 10th March 2023, 14:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Almost every RX100 from Bangalore had these 2 mods:
- Bigger round headlamp (probably from a Yezdi)
- 16" rear wheel (also from a Yezdi)

I never understood the logic behind these mods. One thing was sure though, both mods ruined the look of the RX100.
The first one didn't help much in terms of lighting, but the common logic was "bigger headlamp, better lighting". The second one made the bike quite stable while on the move, while compromising a bit on the acceleration and top speed.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:37   #23
BHPian

'Kala Ghoda' - How I became the owner of an RX 100

The Beginnings
I have been a petrol head since my childhood (my parents tell me that my first word was Car) and have had a keen interest in anything with an internal combustion engine and wheels. Therefore, it came as no surprise that after I turned 18, I said that I wanted a bike, "Which one?" I was asked to which I replied RX.
The RX bug bit me young, as my grandmother's driver had a maroon 1988 model RX 100 with all the original fittings, and everything from the look to the sound and smell of burning 2T oil had me smitten. Incidentally, he taught me how to ride a bike on it as well when I was 16.

The Search
I was given a budget of 45000 for the bike with an additional 15000 to be given later for any mechanical doing up required. Armed with this, I first started asking around in Pune (where I am in college) and received rather eye watering prices for decent vehicles and some outrageous ones for absolute junkers (upon asking, I was invariably told "Japanese aahe"). Thus, Pune was shelved as a prospective location. The search then shifted to Mhow, MP, where my father was posted. Having some acquaintances and known mechanics there, I put word out that i was looking for an RX, which prompted a barrage of 135s and RX-Zs at which point I had to specify that I was looking for a 100, with clear papers, something of a rarity in rural areas. Again many prospects were shown, promising but dismissed due to expired registration. Finally one day my mechanic called and said that there was a decent model for sale, and the buyer was asking for 33000. I asked him to send photos of the bike and the RC as well as a video of it in idle to listen to the firing.
Photos showed a rather grubby and dusty bike in the end series black paint with diagonal red and white stripes. The owner had also plated the head and block for looks, but the firing was smooth and regular. The RC showed that it was registered till 2024, so that wasn't an issue.
On my next visit to Mhow, I saw the bike and it had been washed and was looking quite smart as a result. Rode around on it and I was sold. Handed over the money and took the bike to a dedicated RX mech for servicing and changing the headlight (reflector was rusted). The seat was a bit hard so I had the foam re applied (the seat base was the original metal one). Also got the gear oil changed more for the peace of mind that knowing when the oil was changed gives. The front tyre was also changed to a CEAT Secura 27.5x18, as the bike was wearing a TVS 2.50x18 which looked a bit too skinny for my taste.
My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-img_20221025_124911.jpg
The bike in an opened up state as the mechanic.
After the bike was done at the mechanic, I took it for some sticker work (Yamaha on the shocker forks and clutch/magneto covers) and getting the rear numberplate made, as it didn't have one. I also changed the front numberplate which was in the original configuration on a plate under the front monogram. I had it made as a square sticker on the front mudguard.
My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-img_20221028_153519min.jpg
After being closed up.
My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-rx1.jpg

My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-rx3.jpg
Looking good.
The next step was to move the bike to Pune, which was done through a courier service.
Once it reached Pune, I set about getting a new oil pump and some other cosmetic items like a larger leg guard (original type from Swastik) and a carrier. Fiem mirrors were also got.
My 1986 Yamaha RX 100 | Ownership Review-img_20230121_1615112min.jpg

I have been happily using the bike ever since, and have also got enough people asking whether I want to sell, but that will never happen, as this I intend to keep.
I plan further changes, one being changing the paint scheme to Silver with blue tank stripes and removing the plating on the parts and getting them buffed instead. 6-Hole silencer, Mikuni Carb and Japanese block are also on the cards
Vaastav is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: 'Kala Ghoda' - How I became the owner of an RX 100

What a lovely quick and clear write up! Well done on your find and the clean up job!

I love those Yamaha RX100’s. Their look, their growly sound, the smell of petrol and 2T oil, all of these things fill me with much nostalgia,

These bikes were a part of my late school days and college years and early working years. The icon we aspired to when growing up.

The only thing I ll suggest is try and leave the vehicle bone stock. Thats what will please you most in the long run.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 20:43   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

It always feels nice to see a thread on some old bikes - and more so if it is an RX100. Congrats Vaastav, your RX looks amazing. I have always loved this stickering on the RX because it looks very distinct and sets it apart from all the other RX variants. 33k is a good deal actually - people are quoting for 44+ for such bikes in Mumbai in worse condition.

With regards to changing the color, I would suggest either not to change or wait until your passing is done. Your fitness / passing will be rejected if the color does not match the RC.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 16:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
It always feels nice to see a thread on some old bikes - and more so if it is an RX100. Congrats Vaastav, your RX looks amazing. I have always loved this stickering on the RX because it looks very distinct and sets it apart from all the other RX variants. 33k is a good deal actually - people are quoting for 44+ for such bikes in Mumbai in worse condition.

With regards to changing the color, I would suggest either not to change or wait until your passing is done. Your fitness / passing will be rejected if the color does not match the RC.
Thank you for the kind words.
With regard to the colour, the RC says colour as 'Not Specified' which means I can paint it any shade (and any time)
Old 12th April 2023, 15:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Ind- Suzuki Update:
Guys I have finally revived by dad’s 1985 AX100. It’s far from what it use to look originally. The performance however is amazing. The sound and smoke from the silencer instantly transforms me back to my childhood days.
I never paid interest on Suzuki two strokes and was always into two strokes Yamaha till a friend of mine bought a max 100 R and I tried it out. It was a revelation Suzuki's Two Strokes are buttery smooth and good in terms of power am in love with it and am drooling over these classic beauties whenever I see one. You are one lucky guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaastav View Post
I plan further changes, one being changing the paint scheme to Silver with blue tank stripes and removing the plating on the parts and getting them buffed instead. 6-Hole silencer, Mikuni Carb and Japanese block are also on the cards
Congratulations, it's a beautiful bike. I would recommend checking the ignition system and making sure it's running the original CDI, Magnet, and Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Babu View Post
A great bike, pampered as it deserves to be and a proud owner Couldn't resist the temptation to repost the image of my priced possession for more than past 3 decades and another pic with his latest pal to share the stable, only to share the joy on seeing yet another well maintained '86 Rx 100
Hello, I would love to check out your beautiful bike of yours, It's very very rare to see a bike in long-time ownership. where are you located in Trivandrum, I am from the same city and some of my close circles are also Yamaha two-stroke fanatics.Looking forward to meet you in person
justin.das is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 16:18   #28
BHPian

Beautiful bike and nice write up !!
Incidentally my first motorcycle 'IS' my father's 87 RX100
I've ridden in Since 2012
Learnt a lot about bikes, parts, mechanics and maintenance on this one.
Sadly I recently discovered we went for a sleeved bore when we restored the bike in 2010 and an in the look out for a G1/G2 bore kit
Any leads with a fair price (read max 6-7K) would be highly appreciated
tc89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 16:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
Congratulations, it's a beautiful bike. I would recommend checking the ignition system and making sure it's running the original CDI, Magnet and Coil
Thank you for the kind words
The first thing I looked at was the electricals.
The parts you mention are all from an RX 135 because the previous owner had converted it to 12 volt. So overall, the electricals are quite good.
Minor mods in the form of blue LEDs on the chassis runners and an 18 function magic horn was fitted, as my daily riding takes me onto a highway as well and the original horn is useless when trying to convince ST buses to give some side. LEDs purely for how they look when riding at night.
Old 13th April 2023, 02:27   #30
BHPian

Congratulations Vaastav and welcome to Pune. Hope to catch up with you soon since I’m also based in Pune. I’m not using the AX100 so regularly now as front shocks have again given up. Hunting for some original springs now. Once it’s up and running let’s take our two beauties for a short spin.

I’m also looking to buy a RX, please let know if you come across anything Saasta, Sundar, Tikau.

Last edited by knightfurry : 13th April 2023 at 02:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks