Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 01:21   #1
BHPian

Good Ol Dad Wants A Bullet !!!!

Well .......... here's the story , dad's first bike was a java , now he's retired and wants a bike to move around rather than using the car for petty things . and at 65 he wants a bullet (not just the 350 , but the 500!!) reasoning that its stable at low speeds when stuck in traffic and he just loves its heart beat.

im hoping for some suggestions for a stable bike at low speeds and also something that would suit my dad ( or any older person infact ) . he aint interested in scooters btw coz he still feels 21. enough said , think ill let ur comments do the talkin and hope it helps this cause .
Old 25th June 2007, 06:17   #2
BHPian

That is a youthful dad you have got. Lucky you.
Old 25th June 2007, 11:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

If the old man wants, go get it!!

manson.
Old 25th June 2007, 19:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Which 500 does he like? If he likes the thump of the Bull then the new AVL 500 could be a bit of a disappointment. If the sound is important then i suggest that your dad go for the older cast iron 500. An electric starter would help in quick starts if the bike stalls in traffic.
Old 25th June 2007, 19:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

The lovely 500 std is the order of the day. No the machismo as the machismo lacks the punch.

500 std has seft start ( you wouldnt want your dad to experiencing the legendary 'Return' kick of the bull), also the brakes and gear are on the RIGHT side.
Old 25th June 2007, 20:00   #6

i agree with sankar, legendary thump is only with the cast iron engine. be careful of the kick-back, which may cause problems but once he gets the hang of it i dont think it will be that much of a prob. a well maintained bullet will not have any stalling problems in traffic- the problem is in maintaining it!
Old 25th June 2007, 21:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Remember one things the 500 doesnot have the thumping sound of the 350.
Old 5th July 2007, 11:55   #8
BHPian

dont think i been wee bit clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Well .......... here's the story , dad's first bike was a java , now he's retired and wants a!5{nd rather than using the car for petty things . and at 65 he wants a bullet (not just the 350 , but the 500!!) reasoning that its stable at low speeds when stuck in traffic and he just loves its heart beat.

im hoping for some suggestions for a stable bike at low speeds and also something that would suit my dad ( or any older person infact ) . he aint interested in scooters btw coz he still feels 21. enough said , think ill let ur comments do the talkin and hope it helps this cause .

i was looking for suggestions for alternatives guys , the beast is perfectly fine for me but its not maintenance free , ill only find him sitting by the mechanic having umpteen chai cups around him . was thinkin id sugggest the avenger 200 thats gonna be out coz thats look wheelbased as well n im guessing a stable bike at low speeds and not a sporty nimble featherweight . if its the bullet n there are no alternatives ..... then am i living in history by assuming it still has those gastly oil leakage problems n stuff .

much appreciate ur comments , keep them coming .
here's the clincher ----- ur helping an old man !!!! lol
Old 5th July 2007, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Hey Ask the young old man to join teambhp also.... we would like to read the story and the love for the bull from his words too...LOLS.

Dont know about the avenger coming up with 200, yeah but for the bull ...there are a lot of 350 and 500 lovers here... and i am sure they will put in the tips of how to keep the bull without the oil leakages ....

long live the glory and love of dad for the bullets
Old 5th July 2007, 12:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Well .......... here's the story , dad's first bike was a java , now he's retired and wants a bike to move around rather than using the car for petty things . and at 65 he wants a bullet (not just the 350 , but the 500!!) reasoning that its stable at low speeds when stuck in traffic and he just loves its heart beat.

Wow... thats the spirit

If he is looking for a bike which can take lower speeds at a higher gear then standard 350 or electra will do, i guess standard will fit well.

Standard has a lovely beat and also smooth. if you can get your hands on 70s or 80s model nothing like it. have heard to few bulls which belong to that era and man its music to ears. no engine noise but only engine thump.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
yeah but for the bull ...there are a lot of 350 and 500 lovers here... and i am sure they will put in the tips of how to keep the bull without the oil leakages ....
Have heard lots of people telling that its common to find oil leaks in a bull. own a 350 and a 500, havent come across oil leak till now fixing leaks in a bull no rocket science... just that mech needs to do his job properly
Old 5th July 2007, 13:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes Avenger is coming with a 200 later on this year as per news from ACI>
Old 5th July 2007, 14:34   #13
BHPian

Update !!!! ---- Only For People In Good Health

MY DAD'S JUST DROPPED A DYNAMITE SAYIN

" THIS FRIEND OF MINE IS TELLING ME TO HAVE A LOOK AT KINETIC BLAZE " !!!!

case closed , im not even going close to try and understand my dad's mind , from wanting a bullet , to wanting a peice of plastic with indo-italian stickers . granted its fast n attention seeking .. alas .... i'm gonna take a break and come back after this emotional shock .
Old 5th July 2007, 14:49   #14
NIP
Senior - BHPian

IMHO i think your dad is a lil over enthusiastic about the bullet. i'm not damping any spirits here, but i think you should let your dad ride one and decide for himself. bullets are too much work to get from point A to point B. i'd say an avenger is a better option, but its very low and older folk will be prone to back pains. well..all i'm saying is your dad should test ride all the bikes and decide. for all you know, he's gonna fall in love with the honda activa for zipping around, "rather than using the car for petty things".

Last edited by NIP : 5th July 2007 at 14:53. Reason: spellings
Old 5th July 2007, 14:59   #15

maintainence is not a problem at all as long as you have a competent mechanic who knows what he is doing. bullet is the most stable, safe, comfortable bike available but wear a helmet in case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks