Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2022, 09:52   #46
BHPian

Re: TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Wanted to know from the owners about the seat length. Is it comfortable for an average built gent and lady seating across (Indian style) ?
I use the Ronin for school drops, it is comfortable for my daughter with her multiple bags for school. I have taken my wife shopping and its not uncomfortable rather a snug fit even for large riders. Do not expect any free space for luggage.

Triples are not legal and so Ronin will definitely not permit it
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 09:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Which model? Do you feel lack of power on highways, with pillion or while climbing out of underground parking, etc.?
Top end Galactic Grey. Power is adequate for the city and actually its quite fast off the blocks. I have not taken it out to the highway yet, 600 kms of only city rides
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 10:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I really dont know how this lifestyle motorcycle fits into TVS's overall philosophy. I really dont know what this motorcycle is trying to be.

I have bought the Ronin, I test rode it 3 times, dispelled the misgivings I had and got it home. This was before the Hunter landed at the same price. The big disappointment now is the philosophy of TVS with regard to this bike. Since its launch I have been tried through the SM handles of TVS to check if there is user group for this lifestyle bike, sadly I am directed to the AOG page. Apache Owners Group does not have a Ronin listing and rightfully so, apart from the shared engine I do not think the two philosophies match unless TVS thinks so. Sad that a product that can have so much potential seems to have an unscripted actually non scripted social media presence for owners.
clementw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
TVS knows what they are doing. The people who will actually buy the Ronin will not look anything like the people featured in TVS's commercials.
Spot on. I am a 46 year old, 5'3" tall commuting 150 km a week in traffic. Found it to be a perfect upgrade for a 150 cc bike. Booked it promptly.
Bullfrog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 15:25   #50
BHPian

Hi,

Can someone please clarify what would be the safe speed limit during the running in period for TVS Ronin.

In the online manual it says 50 KMPH, but the showroom guys telling 60 - 80 KMPH should be fine.

So far I have covered 450 kms with the max speed of 56 KMPH.

Thanks
M-Roc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

^^ Always go by what the manual says. Show room fellows will talk through their hats.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Roc View Post
Hi,

So far I have covered 450 kms with the max speed of 56 KMPH.

Thanks
Hi M-Roc, I'm eagerly awaiting updates on your experience with Ronin so far, on your other thread.

My better half and I went for a short test ride, and the bike was easy to ride on a busy road in Ahmedabad. However, we weren't quite dazzled by it (high expectations? Mea culpa).

Longer rides might change that notion. In her case, it was also partly due to her being scared of toppling over when I tried to accelerate. I guess an aftermarket backrest would solve that problem, as she was quite comfortable on the RE Meteor's pillion (but again, not dazzled).
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
Hi M-Roc, I'm eagerly awaiting updates on your experience with Ronin so far, on your other thread.
Dear davelok,

I'm yet to complete the running in period. So far I have covered 690 kms. Post completing the first service I will come up with my initial ownership review. For now I can say I'm more than happy with my choice.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask here or in my other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
Longer rides might change that notion. In her case, it was also partly due to her being scared of toppling over when I tried to accelerate. I guess an aftermarket backrest would solve that problem, as she was quite comfortable on the RE Meteor's pillion (but again, not dazzled).
My better half also had similar complaints but that was due to the absence of ladies foot rest. After installing it she feels more comfortable. Btw we did a 100km ride and she didn't have any fear of toppling over. But she complained about the seat cushioning being too soft. (I 'm exploring the options to solve this)

Thanks

Last edited by M-Roc : 3rd October 2022 at 22:13.
M-Roc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 18:53   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Always go by what the manual says. Show room fellows will talk through their hats.
Surely show room fellows are not dependable but the manual's "max 50 kph" makes little sense.

The purpose of running in is to gently polish away roughness of touching surfaces. It must be done gently or the peaks of roughness instantaneously weld together and break off, creating further roughness and debris. As initial roughness is polished away, the load must be progressively increased to full load at the end of the running in period

Two thought experiments to support my assertion. Firstly 50 kph up a hill requiring full power would put too much load on the engine during running in. Secondly, on reaching 1000 km at the prescribed 50 kph, what magically changes in the engine which makes it OK to start driving at full power?
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 20:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post

Two thought experiments to support my assertion. Firstly 50 kph up a hill requiring full power would put too much load on the engine during running in. Secondly, on reaching 1000 km at the prescribed 50 kph, what magically changes in the engine which makes it OK to start driving at full power?
This question is like the one about the age of achieving adulthood. I guess the magic number of 1000km incorporates a safety margin over and above what the manufacturer deems to be the distance to be run for the bike to achieve automotive adulthood. Better safe than sorry.
Old 4th October 2022, 21:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^ That is correct. The margin stated is a bit conservative. That much is obvious. If they say 1000 km, people will be careful for at least 700 km, which might have been the actual intended run in period.

When a vehicle is used in city traffic during run in period, it will encounter various states of loading and unloading repeatedly, which is good. Quick acceleration and up shifts, some smooth running, sudden decelereation and down shifts, then a stop with idling. Repeated again and again a few times before destination is reached. This is very good for run in, better than steady speeds on highways.

1000 km is not any magic figure, but the oil with all captured metal burr is drained at that point and fresh oil is filled. Probably the manufacturer thinks the vehicle is good to go sans any restrictions from then onwards.

Last edited by Gansan : 4th October 2022 at 21:18.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 13:19   #57
BHPian

I am 5'3" and when the Handlebar tilt and lever positions are adjusted for comfortable seating position, the stock rear view mirrors become useless owing to their pivot point in center (rather than end) of the stalk. Anyone else experienced this ?

Leads me to believe, that what is now really required is handle bar risers to make the company mirrors work as intended.
Old 14th October 2022, 16:57   #58
BHPian

Thanks @davelok and @Gansan for your replies

Good point about city traffic providing a nice mix of engine usage -- as long as heavy acceleration is avoided

Given that the factory recommended "max 50 kph" running in is simplistic, I plan
  1. First 100 km: minimum throttle to keep the engine spinning freely. That meant changing up at 2000 RPM and max 40 kph on the flat
  2. Remaining 900 km: progressively increase max throttle opening to 100%. A dab of white paint on the throttle grip to mark current max opening
But there's no controlling how the pre-delivery distance was driven!
Old 14th October 2022, 17:15   #59
BHPian

@catkins I don't think you need to be so systematic. Just go easy and avoid distraction (or temptation to test the acceleration).
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 17:23   #60
BHPian

Turning circle

My Ronin has an inconveniently big turning circle when compared with other bikes. It became obvious when parking in the garage when the usual three point turn I use for the Interceptor and Unicorn had to be changed to a five point turn

I measured the turning circle on a straight flat road with a clearly marked kerb by starting with the tyres against the kerb, turning the handlebar to the maximum and moving forward until the bike had tuned 180° then measuring from the kerb to the far side of the tyres. The result was
  • Ronin: 4.60 meters (15' 11")
  • Unicorn: 3.52 meters (11' 7")
The incomprehensible thing is I can see no design reason for restricting the maximum handlebar turn so much. The max turn to the left could be increased with no other changes. Turning to the right, the max turn results in the front brake hydraulic pipe having necessary minimum clearance from the oil cooler but the pipe could be re-routed nearer to the centreline and the max turn could be increased. The pipe is anyway routed far from the centreline, perhaps for stylistic reasons

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks