Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 18:25   #16
BHPian

Re: A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan

Update 1! First Service Experience

I had recieved a call a couple of weeks back from Royal Enfeld Electronic City Motors' Service Station asking me when I'd want to book the first service. I requested them to book a slot for the 17th of July to which they agreed to. The booking experience was fairly seamless and I had no issues there. The Service Booking Slot also reflected on the Royal Enfield App. Unfortunately that was the end of the good news.

On 17th I was at the service station at exactly 10:00 a.m which was the time allotted to me. There were multiple bikes and their owners waiting for the same but there was only one Service Advisor making the entries who also seemed least bothered about tending to others. I waited for about 20 minutes when another Service Advisor came from inside to check in my bike. He took a quick odometer reading and filled out a job card. He asked me if there were any complaints to which I replied that I didn't have any at the time. He assured my delivery by 4:30 p.m, which was alright with me as the dealership wasn't too far from my house so I could come back later. I also wanted to install the master cylinder guard which had been out of stock every time I had come to the dealership before this and I asked him if he could do that and I can bill it at the time of service. However, he said that I will have to buy the accesories from the dealership and hand over the part to him post purchase. So I went inside the Sales Area to find only one Sales Associate sitting there doing some sort of documentation work. Mind you this is at around 10:35 (The Dealership is supposed to be open at 9:30). I asked him if the part required was in stock to which he replied that it was but I will have to wait for the employee dealing with accessories to come and bill it. I waited for another 20 mins when the employee concerned showed up and billed it for me. I headed into the service bay to handover the part to the Service Advisor who had conveniently disappeared and no one knew where he was. I called him up and he said he would be there in 5 minutes and turned up 15 minutes later. I gave him the part and then left for my house.

In the evening, I went to the service station at 5:00 p.m to collect the vehicle (I recieved a message on my mobile that my bike was ready). When I reached the dealership, I saw that the bike had not been washed properly. There was mud in certain areas and they hadn't even wiped the tank properly and I could see streaks of some white substance (Polish I assume), all across. I called the Service Advisor and asked him to have it rewashed to which he agreed. I saw two other people also who complained to him about their vehicles being delivered dirty after service. In addition, they had also parked the vehicled out in the rain after cleaning. In the meantime, I went and got the billing done where I ran into a customer who was arguing with the service receptionist who lost his thunderbird's job card and reciept

Thank heavens she didn't lose mine. I got the billing done and came back home. I have attached a picture of the bill below.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-image.png

I find 250 for vehicle polishing a little steep for a motorcycle and I have no idea what "Consumable Charges for Service" is under Labour. But the price is decent and I didn't have time to enquire about it yesterday so I let it go this time. The bike did feel considerably smoother after the first service and also doesn't heat up as much. However one small niggle (or is it?) has cropped up wherein before the service, the headlamp used to be on in low beam all the time, when the bike was on. However, after yesterday, the low beam doesn't work at all. When the switch is toggled to low beam, only the small white pilot lamp glows, along with the rest of the lamps as usual (number plate illuminator and tail lamp). The High Beam and pass switch works fine. I initially thought the bike had a daylight sensor and maybe turns on in the dark but even in pitch darkness, the low beam doesn't work. Please do advise if there's any solution for this or do I have to go to the service centre to get it checked out. I probably will not go the the E City Service Centre again for any future periodical service related matters. I'll try the BTM Service Centre next, which is Company owned.

Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:49   #17
BHPian

This is the first time I am seeing Vehicle Polishing charges at an RE SVC. Generally they just wash the bike. I think it’s SVC exclusive. Do enquire about it. Maybe they cumulated wash+polish into one.
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 23:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
I find 250 for vehicle polishing a little steep for a motorcycle and I have no idea what "Consumable Charges for Service" is under Labour.
WhiskeyTangoFox, did the service advisor inform you about the polishing charges in the morning? If he did and you agreed to it, then no harm done. If he didnt, then you should raise this as an issue with the service center. Please dont let them get away with it. You are well within your rights to ask for a refund of that amount. As a Royal Enfield owner, I have faced a similar issue in the past. The amount was refunded to me.

Next time, do try the company SVC opposite the Madiwala lake. That appears to be the best Royal Enfield SVC in Bangalore.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 10:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
This is the first time I am seeing Vehicle Polishing charges at an RE SVC. Generally they just wash the bike. I think it’s SVC exclusive. Do enquire about it. Maybe they cumulated wash+polish into one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
WhiskeyTangoFox, did the service advisor inform you about the polishing charges in the morning? If he did and you agreed to it, then no harm done. If he didnt, then you should raise this as an issue with the service center. Please dont let them get away with it. You are well within your rights to ask for a refund of that amount. As a Royal Enfield owner, I have faced a similar issue in the past. The amount was refunded to me.

Next time, do try the company SVC opposite the Madiwala lake. That appears to be the best Royal Enfield SVC in Bangalore.
They did inform me that the service includes vehicle washing and polishing, but they never told me that labour was chargeable for that. Nevertheless, I don't think I'll further associate with that particular service center.

Thanks Neil! The BTM layout (Madiwala Lake) Service Center was next on my list, I'll pay a visit to them next time.

However I do have a new concern now. I'd been to Art of Motorcycles recently and The rep at AOM told me that my bike sounded slightly different from other Himalayans. He said that it had a slight knocking noise (I presume he is referring to the engine tappet sound). However, it isn't very loud and is only noticeable after the engine has heated up considerably. He advised me to take it to the SVC and have it checked out. How serious is this issue and what steps do I take? Please advise, thanks!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:01   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on the Himalayan! I own a Rock Red too and Its undoubtedly the most affordable ride it anywhere ADV, with the Yezdi being the newcomer but with the reliability and service network being a question since Mahindra launched the Mojo.

My first reaction when i saw the instrument cluster was, who ripped off the Tripper ? Mine is a Dec 21 manafactured but Jan 2022 delivered, hence my motorcycle batch may be the last with the the Tripper. You are right, i never use it at all because it drains out phone battery pretty quickly and doesnt work in offline mode. This is a major miss

Also, would like some information regarding the radiator guard, is it worth it to invest in it? it was some Rs. 3k accessory i believe. Is there any harm to the motorcycle if it isnt installed?
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Congratulations on the Himalayan! I own a Rock Red too and Its undoubtedly the most affordable ride it anywhere ADV, with the Yezdi being the newcomer but with the reliability and service network being a question since Mahindra launched the Mojo.
Thanks! Absolutely, As much as I find the mojo cool, the headlamp looks a little odd to me and the lack of service and sales wasn't very reassuring either. Still is an amazing motorcycle though.

Quote:
My first reaction when i saw the instrument cluster was, who ripped off the Tripper ? Mine is a Dec 21 manafactured but Jan 2022 delivered, hence my motorcycle batch may be the last with the the Tripper. You are right, i never use it at all because it drains out phone battery pretty quickly and doesnt work in offline mode. This is a major miss
Hahaha yeahhh, both my friends who have October and December 21 manufactureed bikes have them and they were shocked too when they saw mine. nevertheless, don't really miss it as much

Quote:
Also, would like some information regarding the radiator guard, is it worth it to invest in it? it was some Rs. 3k accessory i believe. Is there any harm to the motorcycle if it isnt installed?
The radiator guard cost me Rs 1250 at Royal Enfield. You do find similarly priced third party guards too. I think its worth it at the price. There isn't any harm to the motorcycle for the most part but if you are unlucky, gravel and loose stones can be thrown up by the front tyre and can hit the radiator so it probably is better to have one anyway. I also installed a master cylinder guard for the same reason, precaution. Better to be safe than sorry xD
Old 3rd August 2022, 18:43   #22
BHPian

Update: New Accessory (Compatible with most other Motorcycles as well)

Hello All! Ticked another box on the list of accesories I wanted to purchase for Uno, Handguards!

Hand/lever Guards are probably one of the most important accesories IMO because in the event of a fall, if you happen to break one of your levers (its easier than you think) then you are pretty much done for However, they also add a distinct aesthetic appeal to the motorcycle and the stock RE Handguards despite being sturdy, did not suit the aesthetic of the Himalayan.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-royalenfieldhimalayanadventureedition21084x720.jpg
The Stock Handguards

After scouring the web for something affordable, good looking and sturdy, I came across this on the Bandidos Pitstop Website.
A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-screenshot-20220803-182918.png

Although there weren't any reviews on the website, I knew Bandidos Pitstop was a well known store in South India and supplied good quality products (Not Promoting, just stating based on what I had heard at the time). Also considering that the RE Guards were 2.5k and the BP Guards were 1.72k inclusive of shipping, it seemed like it was worth a shot. So I ordered it and recieved it in 3 days.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-whatsapp-image-20220803-6.32.17-pm.jpeg
Contents of the Box

The Box was well packaged with ample bubble wrap and came with the guards, the necessary fitments, two stickers and a little note. It didn't come with any allen keys or any other tool.

They were sturdy and felt substantial to hold. Was a fairly easy fix although my only gripe was that the screws supplied were of three different kinds wherein all of them had different allen key sizes. Two of them were provided in the Himalayan's toolkit but I have loosely fitted one pair of them now as I didn't have the requisite allen key. I'll take the bike to a mechanic's store and have it tightened soon. One thing to note is that at full handlebar lock, the guard will touch the visor but only by a millimeter or so and it shouldn't be an issue tbh.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-img_20220803_172842.jpg
Front View - Handguard

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-img_20220803_172825.jpg
Three Quarter View - Handguard

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-img_20220803_172832.jpg
Rider's View

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-whatsapp-image-20220803-6.32.28-pm.jpeg
Motorcycle Front View

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-img_20220803_173022.jpg
A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-img_20220803_173030.jpg
New Stickers

The Handguards are cross compatible with pretty much all motorcycles and I would recommend them for sure. That's all for today Folks, Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 17:10   #23
BHPian

Update: Tank Knee Pads

Hey All!

I was facing the problem of getting scratches on my tank where my knees normally rest while riding. (Quite unexpected as I normally ride in formal attire or in tracks).

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-img_20220804_150146min.jpg
Scratches towards the bottom right of the tank

Nevertheless, I wanted something to firstly cover it up and secondly, prevent further scratching in the area, so I decided to purchase some tank knee pads. There weren't many options and I chanced upon a product from Raw and Rugged Leather Co that made knee pads for Royal Enfields. Ordered their Himalayan Knee Pads. Shipping was free and the total cost was 900 Rs. It was delivered to Bangalore in 3 days. It comes with 3M adhesive in the back and was very easy to apply. Looks and feels great too and provide good grip onto the tank. Would recommend.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-whatsapp-image-20220804-3.13.07-pm.jpeg

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-whatsapp-image-20220804-3.13.27-pm.jpeg
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 20:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Tank Knee Pads

Hey All!

I was facing the problem of getting scratches on my tank where my knees normally rest while riding. (Quite unexpected as I normally ride in formal attire or in tracks).
Scratches are such a pain and an eye sore. The pads look great though.
I have applied 3m PPF on my tank and side panels. It’s an absolute peace of mind.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 18:36   #25
BHPian

Hey All!

Went on a Short Breakfast Ride with a friend to Kichhana Halli Mane. We started from Dairy Circle and took the Bannerghatta NICE Road Entrance to the Tumkur Exit. It Cost us 60Rs per bike for toll via NICE Road. The total distance was around 113-115 Kms, making it around 230 Kms both ways. Considering that it would take only 2.5 hours to reach, we didn't want to leave too early, so we went around 8:30 am and Reached around 10 am.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-map.png
Route to Kichhana Halli Mane

The route was wonderful, and we took one short break in between for 10 mins. My friend rode the TVS Ronin, an impressive machine with a great exhaust note. We maintained speeds between 80kmph - 100 kmph for the most part, occasionally touching 120kmph. Both Bikes did well, and the Himmy felt at home between 80-100kmph. Minimum vibrations, high stability and less wind buffetting at my height (176 cms, maybe has to do with my helmet shape as well).

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-start.jpeg
Picture of the Bikes before we started

We stopped to stretch around 30kms from the restaurant before continuing. Just look at these two beauties.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-hw.jpeg
Bangalore-Kunigal Highway

We reached the Hotel, and it was pretty busy. Here's what we ordered (And I would recommend that you try all of these because, being a native Tamilian who has lived in Bangalore all my life, I can safely say this is some of the best South Indian food I have eaten to date).

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-khm.jpeg
Kichhana Halli Mane

Mysore Masala Dosa, Pineapple Dosa, Onion Dosa, Molekallu Dosa, Neer Dosa, Rava Idly, Badam Milk, Badam Halwa, Dahi Vada and Cold Coffee.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-d.jpeg
The heavenly Mysore Masala Dosa

We began our return to Bangalore and stopped on the way to take a few snaps at these beautiful plains. The roads were fantastic throughout the journey, and with the Himmy, you could hardly feel any inundation on the road.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-b1.jpg
A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-b2.jpg

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-plains.jpg
A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-p2.jpeg
Absolutely Lovely View

Overall, it was a fantastic ride, and I would recommend it to everyone. Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 21:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:

The route was wonderful, and we took one short break in between for 10 mins. My friend rode the TVS Ronin, an impressive machine with a great exhaust note. We maintained speeds between 80kmph - 100 kmph for the most part, occasionally touching 120kmph. Both Bikes did well, and the Himmy felt at home between 80-100kmph. Minimum vibrations, high stability and less wind buffetting at my height (176 cms, maybe has to do with my helmet shape as well).
What was the mileage Himalayan and Ronin gave at those speeds?

On another note I would love to join you guys on my KTM ADV 250 next time.
Old 9th October 2022, 21:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
What was the mileage Himalayan and Ronin gave at those speeds?

On another note I would love to join you guys on my KTM ADV 250 next time.
On the Himmy, I got 35.2 Kmpl (Mostly riding at 100kmph but occasionally dropping down to 80-90 kmph)

On the Ronin, my friend didn't keep an exact track of it but he estimates it is between 40-50kmpl.

Sure! will update the thread next time we are planning a ride.
Old 11th October 2022, 12:55   #28
BHPian

35.2 kmpl ? That is one insane mileage number for me! I have touched only 30 kmpl once, how much has your bike run? I have run 7000 km and yet never crossed 30 kmpl. I did the 5k service at 4600 km ( 6 month service due in July ) and use the same RE oil, not changed to Motul as others have suggested. I have done run in procedure according to manual
Old 11th October 2022, 16:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
35.2 kmpl ? That is one insane mileage number for me! I have touched only 30 kmpl once, how much has your bike run? I have run 7000 km and yet never crossed 30 kmpl. I did the 5k service at 4600 km ( 6 month service due in July ) and use the same RE oil, not changed to Motul as others have suggested. I have done run in procedure according to manual
I have heard of instances where people have touched 42kmpl on the Himmy! I would've definitely got more if I was riding between 60-80kmph continuouslym but since we were near a 100 most of the time, 35kmpl is pretty good. My bike has done just about 2800 kms now and will be doing the second service in December.

I normally average between 27kmpl to 30kmpl in the city and use Fuelio to keep track of everything.

A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-1.jpeg
A New Beginning | My 2022 RE Himalayan-2.jpeg
Old 12th October 2022, 11:57   #30
BHPian

While your mileage numbers are somewhat high, 42 might be an exaggeration, considering the engine feels very stressed out at 100 kmph itself, and pushing it beyond that will result in an aggressive drop in mileage. I get 25 in city and 29-30 if ridden sanely at 80 kmph. On a Coimbatore to Bengaluru 350 km run, where i did speeds between 120 - 140 kmph, i saw the mileage drop to 26. Reserve popped in at 240 km and it filled at some 9.25L. This was with regular breaks to cool down in the shade, and a lunch stop. My brother in law did a Mysuru to Udupi stretch on his BS4 Himalayan and he got 29, consistent with his 90 kmph cruising style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks