Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 17:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Ronin launched @ Rs. 1.49 lakh

Guess Shub Marmar from PD was the only guy who laid it out bare and honest, and I agree.

The name, the design and most of the squarish design element, the awkward looking dash, just doesn't cut it and blend well with what TVS actually is portraying with this motorcycle. I am having my doubts whether this would set the sales chart on fire for TVS, which I politely digress. Overall a true okay-okay bike, but nothing to go gaga about. TVS did notch it up a bit, but they definitely could have done something WAY better than this. TVS, should realize there is an ADV segment that's up for grabs and it's a shame they couldn't get a pie nor a decent product for this market, considering their DNA was burned and rooted in the off-road arena. TVS should have a reality check, slap itself left, right and center make its engineers work "right" and not let them watch Teletubbies for what they're being paid.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 17:56   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
I wouldn't say identity crisis just because reviewers can't seem to find an easy slot to peg it onto with their predispositions.
IMHO, the engine characteristics coupled with the riding triangle and handling define a motorcycle. From the engine specifications, its more suited for the urban jungle, the forward set footpegs are justified in that case. But, when it comes to the looks, TVS tried to mimic a scrambler, that's where the confusion lies and that's why I believe it suffers from identify crisis. For me it belongs to the CB350/RS category, a glorified commuter! (No offense to the fellow CB riders, I too own one).
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 18:56   #108
Senior - BHPian

In the Indian context, keeping aside bikes above 4-5 lac/500 cc, the distinction between cruiser/scrambler/commuter/sports is quite blurred. Its like calling Creta/Seltos SUVs which they really arent. These are just glorified commuter bikes of various power/performance denominations. The debate on whether it should be positioned as a scrambler or commuter or retro or adventure bike is pointless in my opinion. Real performance bikes of any genre "start" from 500cc plus, with the exception of some like KTM 3xx and BMW GS series.
In my humble opinion, even a Hero X Pulse 200T with dual channel ABS would have been a good contender in this category. Its a pity Hero never tried to sell that model with an iota of effort. The Ronin doesnt look very different.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 20:34   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
TVS, should realize there is an ADV segment that's up for grabs and it's a shame they couldn't get a pie nor a decent product for this market, considering their DNA was burned and rooted in the off-road arena.
Exactly. Something like a dualsport from TVS would probably sell well given that they can use their history with competing in rally and MX to their advantage, both in terms of designing and marketing the bike. Hope to see one soon from TVS.

Quote:
Overall a true okay-okay bike, but nothing to go gaga about. TVS did notch it up a bit, but they definitely could have done something WAY better than this.
These kinds of bikes are underappreciated though. The okay-okayish ness is their real strength, in that they're up for a bit of everything as opposed to more specialized bikes. Though, yeah, they could've atleast given it 250 cubes. Would've been a much more tempting buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
For me it belongs to the CB350/RS category, a glorified commuter! (No offense to the fellow CB riders, I too own one).
Agreed. Though I'd like to describe it more as an efficient commuter. It's not gonna be a lazy bike like the Hondas and REs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's faster to 100 than the competition except the Yezdi. It also would likely also handle more comfortably with the lesser weight, smaller wheelbase, and bit more GC, though the Honda handles nice enough for what it is. It's more XSR than RE\CB350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Real performance bikes of any genre "start" from 500cc plus, with the exception of some like KTM 3xx and BMW GS series.
Well, if by "performance," you mean "super specialized," then yes, better to look at the higher end. Otherwise, we do have some overall nice performing bikes even in the lower segment though the engines may be tame.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 9th July 2022 at 20:44.
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 06:09   #110
Senior - BHPian

Why did they choose the rains to launch this vehicle? This season would have been perfect if it were an ADV. TVS has shot itself in the foot by launching it during the full blown monsoon. Reviewers are struggling all over
Quote:
Other reviews have pointed out that the bike can cruise comfortably even at 100 though. There seems to be conflicting reports. Maybe the weather was to blame?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 09:25   #111
BHPian

I think this bike's rear end looks good in the all black variant base variant, so tried a similar look for the top end.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Ronin launched @ Rs. 1.49 lakh-screenshot_20220710091315.png  

TVS Ronin launched @ Rs. 1.49 lakh-screenshot_202207100913153.png  

damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 10:14   #112
BHPian

The more I see the media ride videos of the Ronin, the "T" on the headlamp seems very tacky to me. Like some alien symbol.

I also wish they had a matt black variant in the base version.

On a different note, the OTR price for the base variant comes to 1.9L odd in Bangalore which would take the top end well over 2L OTR.
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 11:21   #113
BHPian

Quote:
These kinds of bikes are underappreciated though. The okay-okayish ness is their real strength, in that they're up for a bit of everything as opposed to more specialized bikes. Though, yeah, they could've atleast given it 250 cubes. Would've been a much more tempting buy.
Why stop at 250? All the other contenders in this category are above 300cc so why not use the already tried and tested BMW 310cc engine and use it to for a scrambler, cruiser, ADV and naked streetfighter!
mad4nfs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 12:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

To keep base price at 1.50 lakh, and keeping it 'mass-y'. But yeah the target riders could want 350 CC at least, since Honda Highness/RS is established now. This could have been a step above. Should watch out for August sales numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4nfs View Post
Why stop at 250? All the other contenders in this category are above 300cc so why not use the already tried and tested BMW 310cc engine and use it to for a scrambler, cruiser, ADV and naked streetfighter!
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 12:17   #115
BHPian

Quote:
I guess there are a few folks like me who would like a retro looking bike that is easy to live with in the 200cc range. Going by discussions on the forum this segment seems to be a minority.

I for one am glad TVS Ronin is not in the 350 space as choices are very limited in the 150-300 cc space.

If Ronin flies off the shelves other manufacturers may start bringing more models in this segment. Waits to be seen.
Nimz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 13:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
Asymmetric speedometer?

This is the height of asymmetry. Right side near speedometer is looking so empty in a motorcycle otherwise well crafted.

Attachment 2329942
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
So that you don't miss the potholes on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Maybe, you could have a mobile phone mounted on the other side to complete the picture.
TVS Ronin launched @ Rs. 1.49 lakh-ronin-pod.jpeg

Credits to the YouTuber from whose video I took this screenshot. I think its MRD VLOGS (no way associated with the channel).
five46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 14:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Why did they choose the rains to launch this vehicle? This season would have been perfect if it were an ADV. TVS has shot itself in the foot by launching it during the full blown monsoon. Reviewers are struggling all over
Just TVS's bad luck I guess. There was supposedly an orange alert for cyclonic rain at the location on that day. It probably would not have been easier even if they'd gone to test a TVS ADV. I mean, this kind of rain can be dangerous even in the interior regions. Can only imagine how it would batter the coast.

Quote:
The 310 engine in this sort of tune would've sealed the deal for me. But I do understand why they've gone for a smaller motor. The 310 has not been received so well even with the "Apache" name attached to it. So, maybe, they've taken the safe route to test the market with a smaller increment. Would've been nicer if it was just 25ccs more though.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 10th July 2022 at 14:33.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 16:20   #118
BHPian

Took a short TD of the Ronin today. The last I rode a bike was more than a decade back (and it did feel nice to ride again) so my frame of reference is almost non-existent (except for the Yamaha FZ-X that we just sat on as no TD was available).

Both my feet were firmly planted on the ground on the Ronin (am 5'7") compared to the FZ-X where my heels could not reach. It is and did seem heavier. Exhaust note was nice and bassy. Maybe it was my inexperience but on gear changes the engine really pulled, pushing us back. Again maybe my lack of experience with bikes. I had trouble finding the neutral. Pick up was brisk. Took it on to some small roads and I did not have to downshift coming out of speed breakers or turns. I did feel a little anxious as the bike felt heavy but I would put that down to my long break from a bike.

My wife's verdict - it felt like riding on a short elephant and I guess I felt the same way too. A short but spirited elephant. My wife clicked a few pics with me on the bike and it did seem short. The tires kind of seem small for the bike.

Dealer said 1.94L OTR for the base variant (Bangalore) and he had no idea on deliveries etc. And said they will have more clarity the coming week.

He had the top end for display and the base variant for TD. Looks like these are the two variants that would sell the most. The mid variant seems more like a decoy to push folks to the top variant.

A weekend well spent.

Last edited by Nimz : 10th July 2022 at 16:24.
Nimz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 18:31   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Took a short TD of the Ronin today. The last I rode a bike was more than a decade back (and it did feel nice to ride again) so my frame of reference is almost non-existent (except for the Yamaha FZ-X that we just sat on as no TD was available).

Both my feet were firmly planted on the ground on the Ronin (am 5'7") compared to the FZ-X where my heels could not reach. It is and did seem heavier. Exhaust note was nice and bassy. Maybe it was my inexperience but on gear changes the engine really pulled, pushing us back. Again maybe my lack of experience with bikes. I had trouble finding the neutral. Pick up was brisk. Took it on to some small roads and I did not have to downshift coming out of speed breakers or turns. I did feel a little anxious as the bike felt heavy but I would put that down to my long break from a bike.

My wife's verdict - it felt like riding on a short elephant and I guess I felt the same way too. A short but spirited elephant. My wife clicked a few pics with me on the bike and it did seem short. The tires kind of seem small for the bike.

Dealer said 1.94L OTR for the base variant (Bangalore) and he had no idea on deliveries etc. And said they will have more clarity the coming week.

He had the top end for display and the base variant for TD. Looks like these are the two variants that would sell the most. The mid variant seems more like a decoy to push folks to the top variant.

A weekend well spent.
So how's that asymmetric speedometer felt? Did it feel out of place while riding? Or that odd position is not much noticeable?
Old 10th July 2022, 20:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Which dealership is this? I saw customer delivery videos actually. The top-end version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks