Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 20:59   #136

Re: TVS Ronin launched @ Rs. 1.49 lakh

BTW, considering the 2.22L on-road price of the top-end variant (without optional accessories), this does not appear to be such a VFM option, vis-a-vis CB350 which gives you a better-looking machine, better engine, and greater suitability for highways for a 20-odd thousands more.

TVS Ronin launched @ Rs. 1.49 lakh-pricelist.jpg

And why would the orange variant be 2500 extra?
ityogi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 08:14   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Looks BOLD in RED. In fact the solid single tone colours make it POP.
You are right. In fact the top variant (duel tone) appears clumsy (tone separating lines appear zagged because of tank curvature changes). Also the dual tone wrapping around tank does not look good. They should offer solid colors on top variants also.

The crash guard is missing from this lower variant pic. Was that removed or it is not available on lower variants?

Last edited by ajay0612 : 15th July 2022 at 08:15. Reason: error
Old 15th July 2022, 09:08   #138
Senior - BHPian

The accessory pack is coming in 3 weeks. Includes the crash guard. One point I'd like to add here is the slickness with regards to turning the handle. Don't know what bearings/grease TVS has used, but it was super smooth. This bike is really agile for the city (So I have no doubt this is a City Bike, purely - in case someone wants a nomenclature)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
The crash guard is missing from this lower variant pic. Was that removed or it is not available on lower variants?
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:45   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The accessory pack is coming in 3 weeks. Includes the crash guard. One point I'd like to add here is the slickness with regards to turning the handle. Don't know what bearings/grease TVS has used, but it was super smooth. This bike is really agile for the city (So I have no doubt this is a City Bike, purely - in case someone wants a nomenclature)
That's good to know, but what about the turning radius? Most of the reviews that are out have observed that the turning radius is quite big for this kind of a bike. Riding through narrow streets or taking sharp "U" turns, will this bike pose any challenge?
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 10:54   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Oh. The crash guard is not part of the standard kit? I was under the impression that Ronin was coming kitted with crash guard, saree guard et al.

Now will this include a further increase in the OTR price? Already quite expensive at close to 2 Lakhs.

@Sebring - I hope you had a much better experience with this dealership than I had with mine.

Nimz
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 14:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

Oh is it? It did not strike me as unusual
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That's good to know, but what about the turning radius?
Crash guard is always extra. I knew a guy in the TVS dealership so he led me straight to the bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
I hope you had a much better experience with this dealership than I had with mine
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 00:37   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- Identity crisis or not, IMHO it stems from their attempt at the "lifestyle" buyers who will ask what is it ?Scrambler/Roadster/Cruiser ?

...the engineering isn't a grey area but capturing the buyer's perception is.
Agreed that there's a bit of hodge-podge design language but the purpose of the bike seems clear. TVS was intentionally vague about categories at their launch because I think they want people to stop thinking about definite segments and focus on the utility provided, or rather, they may think people would appreciate a good all-rounder in this price range rather than a specialized bike. Anyway, yeah, let's see how the market responds.

If we take similar retro-based models we have in the market now, they're all half-baked products. RE Scram is too heavy and handles laughably. Honda's CB350RS is just an amazing looking poser bike. Yezdi is mechanically the best of the bunch, but a bit too heavy for its own good. The FZ-X, my favourite of the lot, is damn good. Relatively much lighter and sharper handling, very comfortable chair-like seating position and nice soft seat, but unfortunately is slow. I think the Ronin is this, but better.

Just wish the rear mudguard was a modern looking unit or atleast cut higher up to give the design a differentiating edge. That's the first thing I'll change if I buy.

Quote:
- IMO it wouldn't make that much of a difference.
Not using the 310 engine is also because of their contract with BMW Motorrad. Seems like it has got amended with pics of the BMW G310 RR surfacing.
Personally speaking, I wanted a decent upgrade in acceleration capabilities (or fun factor) compared to my 150s. This bike is basically what I've been asking for, just with what I suspect will be some compromise in fun. Seems like the perfect bike just keeps eluding me.

As for the 310s, BMW always planned to make its own version of the RR310. I remember leaks dating back to a few years ago. So, the RTR310 should be arriving soon, methinks. It would be just unfair as heck for TVS to get nothing else out of this.

Quote:
Crash guard is always extra. I knew a guy in the TVS dealership so he led me straight to the bike
I believe the crash guard and main stand come as standard fitment on this. The salesperson said it was. All the official pictures also show the bike with both the stand and the bars.

Quote:
After researching (googling rather) I am inclined to agree that it's more for show and to go with the overall beefy theme. I think bigger rims would have given it a better stance.
I agree. Though bigger rims would also affect the handling. So, 17 inchers are a good choice for what the bike is, I think.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 16th July 2022 at 00:41.
drt_rdr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 10:02   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
TVS was intentionally vague about categories at their launch because I think they want people to stop thinking about definite segments and focus on the utility provided, or rather, they may think people would appreciate a good all-rounder in this price range rather than a specialized bike. Anyway, yeah, let's see how the market responds..
Me thinks TVS marketing team missed a beat here (I know it is easy to sit at home and pass such comments). But I think it is important to clearly position the product in the market else it confuses even the customer.

Engineering however has clearly benchmarked it against the RE / Highness so we know where the aspirations lie. But the launch AV and that rap song et al seemed targeted at a much younger / millennial crowd.. (an XSR 125 kinda bike is what I would take to that segment - the Ronin AV and XSR 125 AVs have some common themes btw). As a result, to me - in my mind this ends up as a RE / Highness "wannabe" bike.
I don't think RE is much worried and with the Hunter's imminent launch in early August, they will end up having a 350 cc offering with the RE badge in the Ronin price range.

Quote:

Personally speaking, I wanted a decent upgrade in acceleration capabilities (or fun factor) compared to my 150s. This bike is basically what I've been asking for, just with what I suspect will be some compromise in fun. Seems like the perfect bike just keeps eluding me.
In fact I think this should have been their positioning.
I would (if i can still continue my arm chair hypothesising) position it as a sophisticated upgrade to the 150 cc neo retro bikes - which means I lose all the chunky RE look alike design pretensions and focus on something leaner, lighter, faster and nimbler (more Apache like and less RE) with classic neo retro design elements.

Cheers
Nimz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 12:22   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is precisely my requirement as well. 150cc doesn't cut it anymore especially with a pillion at the back. But 350s for riding inside city seems to be an overkill and will cost on mileage front as well.

200-250cc seems to be the magic mark but the existing options cost as much as the 350s except the FZ. I only wish the seat was longer. It seems insufficient for carrying two in relative comfort.

And they need to make dual channel ABS as standard. Buying the TD version for getting dual channel ABS seems nonsensical.

Finally sell the bike at all outlets. Don't make it Big Wing kind of a deal. It's after all the 200cc Apache engine modified for bigger stroke.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 20:25   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. TVS was intentionally vague about categories at their launch because I think they want people to stop thinking about definite segments and focus on the utility provided.
2. I think the Ronin is this, but better.
3. That's the first thing I'll change if I buy.
4. Seems like the perfect bike just keeps eluding me.
5. So, the RTR310 should be arriving soon, methinks.
1. They said the same but in the event IIRC but buyers especially in this segment are more selective and critical in their opinions.

Some observations which IMO lead to the differing expectations :
- That offset instrument cluster and the front instantly reminds of the Ducati Scrambler but the front profile with the 17 inch front and the cruiser like appearance don't fit in that definition.
- The shorter rear goes the cruiser way but the tyres, seat and tank go the roadster/scrambler way.

In a way it reminds me of the Versys 650, which is an ADV but the 17 inch wheels while aiding its on road behaviour didn't really fit in the standard ADV definition.
But since the Versys was so far-off from a sports naked that it was considered an ADV(although not fully) while the Ronin has to deal with Roadster, Cruiser and Scrambler definitions.

Your earlier posts and Sebring's pics are quite informative and I also agree that the bike looks best in single tone colours.
Another thing that's getting washed out in the categorization conundrum is the quality levels, from the pics it looks quite impressive, I am guessing better than the RTR200.

2. You said it, I remember looking at a FZ-X on the road and thinking that if this gets slightly bigger and gets to 250 its going to be an awesome combo.
I don't think the Ronin is going to disappoint in acceleration up to 80-90 kmph but will let you confirm it.

3. Agree but do it after the rains, good or bad but that mudguard is going to be quite effective.
I remember removing the mudguard(since its a 2 piece unit) from the RTR 180 and getting it back on the very next day after I crossed a dry road with some overflowing water and instantly feeling the drops hitting my T shirt from the back

4. The perfect bike is the one which suits your needs well, that's it. Once you're on the saddle the looks stop mattering, the engineering does

OT : When I was riding a quirky looking(for those days) Fiero in a sea of definitely male Pulsars and gorgeous CBZs. The refinement of that engine was a league apart and I am still waiting to use another gearbox as smooth as the Fiero's.

5. I am hoping for the same.
Since BMW has launched the sports, the street naked and the ADV should be with TVS now in the role reversal.
I just hope that they increase the tank size.

Last edited by shancz : 16th July 2022 at 20:27.
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 00:28   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Me thinks TVS marketing team missed a beat here... in my mind this ends up as a RE / Highness "wannabe" bike...
Quote:
1. They said the same but in the event IIRC but buyers especially in this segment are more selective and critical in their opinions.... while the Ronin has to deal with Roadster, Cruiser and Scrambler definitions.
Hmm. Yeah, maybe TVS could have taken more design cues from the Zeppelin to avoid confusion. A mix of rounded and angular design language could've meant people would be seeing a mini ducati diavel in the Ronin rather than ponder over what it is.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
This is precisely my requirement as well. 150cc doesn't cut it anymore especially with a pillion at the back. But 350s for riding inside city seems to be an overkill and will cost on mileage front as well.

200-250cc seems to be the magic mark but the existing options cost as much as the 350s except the FZ. I only wish the seat was longer. It seems insufficient for carrying two in relative comfort.
If you like the 350s, it may turn out to be a good buy.

I've not tried the BS6 RE classic but the CB350s are quality-made goods and really not that bad to maneuver inside the city. I mean, I've not tried it inside a mess like Bangalore. But for my town right now (which seems to want to catch up to bangalore within a few years) it's not bad at all.

And the mileage is surprisingly good for the cubic capacity because they can give good grunt without having to rev out like the sportier bikes. Expect typical 150 cc mileage (with a measured throttle hand of course)+easy pillion carry because the throttle operation is really smooth and you can comfortably lug the engine on these things. It's also got a slipper clutch, the clutch pull is easier than many 150s.

According to the latest KA prices, the Honda 350s are a few tens of thousands more expensive than the gixxer250 and quite a bit more than the practically made Pulsar250.

Though, personally, the Honda 350s are far from my cup of tea, I have no problems seeing the value in these things. Hope you take a thorough test ride and come to a conclusion.

Quote:
And they need to make dual channel ABS as standard. Buying the TD version for getting dual channel ABS seems nonsensical.
IMO, dual channel ABS is overrated and I'm really happy our local makers atleast give the option for single and dual channel ABS unlike the japs who force dual channel on you. But yeah, TVS could've made dual channel available on the mid variant too. I don't even understand, is it 10,000 more expensive just for the colour schemes and gold USDs?

Maybe they will if enough people ask for it. Bajaj introduced dual channel ABS on the pulsar 250s responding to the demand after all. But in the meantime, TVS claims to have worked on the pedal feel to make the rear brake bite feel more relaxed for a disk setup.

Quote:
1... Another thing that's getting washed out in the categorization conundrum is the quality levels, from the pics it looks quite impressive, I am guessing better than the RTR200.
I thought I felt some clumsiness in how the seat fitted onto the frame and some stitching seemed a bit off, but yeah, from a brief look, it does appear well-thought-out and well made for the price it comes at. Have to have a closer look to confirm though.

Quote:
I remember looking at a FZ-X on the road and thinking that if this gets slightly bigger and gets to 250 its going to be an awesome combo.
I don't think the Ronin is going to disappoint in acceleration up to 80-90 kmph but will let you confirm it.
Oh, absolutely. A 250 motor would've ensured it would've been a potent alternative to the other retros in the space. It's ridiculous that there's only ~20,000 rupees difference on-road between the FZ-X and FZ-25.

Yeah, I have a feeling the Ronin is gonna be a hoot to ride up to 80-90 as well. Will test if opportunity allows. In the meantime, keenly interested in hearing your and others' impressions too on how it goes.

Quote:
The perfect bike is the one which suits your needs well, that's it. Once you're on the saddle the looks stop mattering, the engineering does
Honestly, I don't need to buy another one at all. My GS150R is still serving admirably 12 years into the ownership through manhandling, multiple falls, and everything (touch wood) and I'm truly hard-pressed to find an alternative I'm eager to pull the trigger on for my kind of use. It still looks okay enough, it still goes okay enough, and whispers it'll keep on going if only I let it. And I love this cockroach too, only I get bored sometimes.

But when I say, perfect, I just mean something that comes the closest to the compromising point between my wants and needs, because I'm tired of rejecting and waiting at this point. Anyway, don't want to divert this thread into another bike hunt string.

Quote:
When I was riding a quirky looking(for those days) Fiero in a sea of definitely male Pulsars and gorgeous CBZs. The refinement of that engine was a league apart and I am still waiting to use another gearbox as smooth as the Fiero's.
Speaking of which, the Ronin does remind of the fiero in some ways. The compact stature, the comfortable seating and suspension, the promise of excellent low end torque. Who knows, maybe TVS missed it so much they decided to pay a a small homage to it in this avatar. I'd love to see the fiero resurrected in totality in a modern guise though, maybe as a 250 or 300.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 17th July 2022 at 00:50.
drt_rdr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 11:48   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you like the 350s, it may turn out to be a good buy.
Looks like you have a GS150R. I miss that bike so much. Should have never sold it. Was smooth as a butter and one of a kind IMHO with the 6th gear. Was looking for the Unicorn but the 6 months waiting period put me off and I took this one happily. I also had a Fiero F2 before that. Got it after I was rode pillion on the original Fiero. Was very impressed with it.

I did test the CB350 and liked it. The RS more than the H'ness. Felt that the brake pedal wasn't positioned right in the latter. Needed it to be a little more outward for my riding stance. But otherwise it felt like a normal bike to me and nothing like a big bike.

The only other big bike I've driven is the Himalayan and it was a cumbersome experience. For all the ride comfort it gave me, it's a head ache to handle once we are off it. Too heavy needlessly.

I know that the Pulsars are lot less than the CB and the Suzuki is like 20K less at my place but if I am stretching for the Suzuki, I might as well go all the way to the Honda. Don't have high regards for Bajaj. Never bought one and don't think I will ever do.

I really liked how relaxed the bike felt and the clutch was freaking light. Maybe that is the bike for me. I will wait to see if Honda bring some improvements or facelift soon. Don't want to end up with a generation old vehicle months after buying it.

Coming to the Ronin, I hope they make it available everywhere. Nearest dealer is 7km from my place and that's an issue from test ride and servicing perspective as well.

Regarding the ABS, you could be right in your assessment about single vs dual channel but I just want more for my money and knowing that I am covered on both fronts is a peace of mind for me. Hence the ask for dual channel across the line.

The base version seems VFM. Couldn't care less about the connected features. I can't read them anyway and there's enough space to put a mobile holder and have better maps than a tiny arrow mark on the console.

Will wait a while to see how things progress with Honda and if TVS decide to alter the line up a bit.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 17th July 2022 at 11:49.
SchumiFan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 10:27   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Looks like you have a GS150R. I miss that bike so much. Should have never sold it. Was smooth as a butter and one of a kind IMHO with the 6th gear...
Yeah, it's definitely one of a kind. A bit boring but handles multiple roles like no small bike's business. Wish Suzuki would just bring this back with a 250 or 300cc motor.

In the meantime, hopefully, the Ronin fills that gap.

Quote:
I will wait to see if Honda bring some improvements or facelift soon. Don't want to end up with a generation old vehicle months after buying it.
I get the feeling Honda's probably not gonna change the design till electric bikes kill this off. Would they want to make it any more retro than this?

They might just bring out a 500cc version of this with the same exteriors though.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 18th July 2022 at 10:28.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 13:07   #149
BHPian

Does anyone have any information on the mileage? There should be an ARAI reported figure right? On the net, estimates vary from 30 kmpl to 40 kmpl. TVS never mentioned anything about mileage in the launch as well.

Thanks in advance

Mod Note -

Please continue further discussions and TD experiences in the new thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...pressions.html (TVS Ronin Review & Initial Impressions). Closing this one!

Thanks

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2022 at 17:08. Reason: Adding Mod Note for closing the thread. Thanks!
Nimz is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks