Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 10:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Turning 18 | Which motorcycle to start on? | EDIT: Bought the Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Supernova

W16rocks, its good to see young enthusiasts like you are keen to dip their toes into the motorcycling pool, after they get their license. First things first, there are people who learnt riding on litre class sports bikes and there are others who started on 100cc commuters. Given our Indian conditions, its always best to work your way up the ladder. One thing to keep in mind, is that your time frame of 5 years will involve a degree and a job or a degree and a post graduation. This might take you to different cities and states. So keep a long term practical outlook on ownership.

As I look through your post, I believe that there isnt a single bike that meets all your requirements. You will have to compromise on something or the other. Your final decision will come down to what you are willing to compromise on.

- Jawa 42 / Yezdi Scrambler, Roadster, Adventure : Avoid. They wont age well and the service network isnt good.

- Honda CB350 / RS - On paper, this is one of the few bikes that meets your requirements the best. The limited reach of the Big Wing dealership, makes it a hard recommend for your use case. What if there isnt a Big Wing dealership in the city where your college is?

- Royal Enfield Meteor 350 / Classic 350 - Equipped with the J series engine, these offerings are a good bet. You also get a fantastic pan India service network. Once you start touring when you are in college, you will appreciate the fact that there are SVCs in every town along the way. The weight is an issue though.

- Suzuki Gixxer 250 - If you replace the OEM headlight, you will get yourself a retro looking motorcycle. The engine is a gem. Its friendly and fun. A near 160 kg weight will make it easier to ride around town and learn. Mileage should be in the mid 30s. Its super cheap to service and run. The service network is wide. Prices for the Gixxer 250 are surprisingly competitive, especially when you consider that Suzuki dealerships are throwing in discounts on left over 2021 stocks, and even on 2022 stocks.

You cant go wrong with the Meteor 350 or the CB350. However, the Gixxer 250 is probably the more sensible option for you, as you start off your motorcycling journey.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:54   #17
BHPian

re: Turning 18 | Which motorcycle to start on? | EDIT: Bought the Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Supernova

I can feel your excitement. But as others have suggested, start with something cheap and light, hone your skills and then move to something bigger and badder. The lightness will matter more than you think, since in college days, many trips will be impromptu short ones through busy streets and a heavy bike will be difficult to live with.

Coming to your choices, don't buy anything more than 2 lakh, since anything more expensive will also come with higher maintenance and spare cost and I can vouch that the exotics will give you a heart-attack expense every once in a while. I would also suggest buying something with a wide service network, since most modern bikes require servicing every 4 to 6 months and having one, always crowded service center, far from home is going to be a headache.

Therefore Jawa and Yezdi are to be avoided since they are expensive, heavy and do not have a wide service network.
Honda Bigwings too have a similar problem and coming from a family that has been loyal to Honda for nearly a decade and a half, I still haven't been able to find a single satisfactory Honda Service Center.
Royal Enfield is somewhat better poised for your choice, though you yourself don't want it and is in the heavy, expensive category.
The V-strom is a good choice, but very expensive for what it is and Suzuki doesn't have a good service network.

You can consider the Yamaha FZ-X. It has a retro-modern design, looks unique, has the Yamaha reliability, has a very relaxed riding posture, good spread of service network and is less than half of your budget. If you want a bit more power, the FZ25 is also a good choice, is fast yet relaxed, light and looks quite good too. This too is around half your budget and will suit you quite well.

But what ever you buy, please remember to get yourself a top-of-the-line helmet and riding gear. You will not regret it.
Ritkon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 11:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Having personally started biking on my RC390, even though I always hated KTMs for their noise and the type of rider they tended to attract, I can guarantee you that there is no better package in terms of weight distribution, balance, stability, flick-ability and feel out there in the market at that price. The confidence that you get on a KTM bike is unparalleled. That said, my advice to you would be the same as it is to every new rider, first find a way to ride some bike, any bike for atleast a month.

Either exchange a scooty with a friend's bike or rent one out. Doing this will allow you to get a decent understanding of riding a bike as you will use it as your primary means of transport for a month and after that, whenever you test ride any bike, you yourself will know whether you like it or not, whether it suits you or not, whether it has what you're looking for or not. Without first being decently proficient at riding, you will not be able to appreciate what every bike has to offer and what suits yourself the most.
IshaanIan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 13:46   #19
BHPian

Like members have mentioned above, my personal suggestion is also go for a 150-250 cc regular bike now (preferably with ABS). Even if you have the budget of 3 L, I would also recommend to go for a good pre-owned bike in the above category. Coz the next 2-3 years with your pre occupation with college, any recreational riding will be limited and in this period your heart and mind will be playing all kinds of games swinging anything between a naked to sports to cruiser or adventure bikes. So there is a good chance once you have honed your skills (and hopefully you have not lost that new found interest in bikes!) and interacted with lot of other bikers etc, the urge to upgrade will be there. So that way you progress steadily & prudently and dont have to waste money on a bike that doesn't talk to you, BUT invest at the right time on a bike that is going to put a smile on your face every time you mount it...or even think of it!

And as you progress in your biking journey, you can always come back to the forum for more pertinent information or clarifications or suggestions.

Good wishes in your decision and ride safe

Last edited by Haroon : 14th June 2022 at 14:01.
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 13:49   #20
BHPian

Lots of great advice already, chiming in with my two cents.

Since you are off to college, I'd start with the pre-owned route since the bike would already be run in, would be relatively easier to maintain and you won't piss off your friends when they ask you to loan them your bike

You would be spoilt for choice in the pre-owned market and would get some good bikes in Pune.
I had a RTR 200 (carb version) until last year and would highly recommend it.
The Gixxer is a great bike too - very sorted road manners.
You would get some nicely run old gen 390's under a lakh - I would not recommend this bike to a beginner but its the bike I would buy even today

I would restrict the spend to under a lakh, use the remaining funds to buy some good gear - (ECE certified helmet, CE certified gloves, jacket with level 2 armour etc.)
Upgrade after a couple of years to a more powerful bike.

Focus on learning throttle control and braking - the smaller bikes are quite forgiving in this regard.

Safe riding!
jomson13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by W16rocks View Post
on my 18th birthday I was thinking of getting a bike, this will be my first motored two wheeler
Almost all of the bikes you mentioned above are adequately powered for your needs. But what will cause you trouble adapting to will be the weight of these machines. As you have almost no experience riding a bike I would suggest you to buy a cheap 150 cc honda and ride it around for a year and then switch to something more powerful in the 3lks range like the 650 twins. I had the same issue a couple of yours back as my first experience riding a bike was my dad's classic 500. The power may not scare you but the weight will. Scared me a couple of times, and paid the price although it did strengthen the bond between me and the machine.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th June 2022 at 14:49. Reason: Trimmed quoted posts and typo.
Sidharth Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Honda CB350 / RS
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 / Classic 350
Suzuki Gixxer 250

You cant go wrong with the Meteor 350 or the CB350. However, the Gixxer 250 is probably the more sensible option for you, as you start off your motorcycling journey.
Select one of the above, do not look further beyond this list.

Last edited by DDIS_RE650 : 14th June 2022 at 14:52. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 15:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W16rocks View Post

- Royal Enfield - Meteor, Scrambler, Himalayan etc
- Yezdi - Scrambler:
W16Rocks
Since you like the looks of the Himalayan, Scram 411 and Yezdi Scrambler, I'd like to throw in a wildcard here: Hero Xpulse 200.

It is a relatively lighter bike, quite capable and tons of fun. Also, it being a Hero, plus a cross between an Adv and dual sport, it will be much more abuse friendly and pocket friendly. It won't burn a hole in your pocket even if you drop it often. More importantly, it will be super light and nimble on the move.
GrandTourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:38   #24
BHPian

Please don't buy KTM as your first bike. It is too powerful for a newbie. Even if you ride safe, your friends will take it for sure and they will end up in an accident. It is known as 'single-installment' bike in Kerala, as the owner will not be there to pay second installment. It has a really bad reputation, because of the combination of power and the idiots who ride it.

My suggestion is to get Yamaha FZ 150cc. It is a really sweet bike to learn, easy to maintain and you might keep it for many years. Invest on a good helmet (MT, SMK) and leather gloves.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 19:02   #25
BHPian

Choice of bike is a subtle indicator of one's personality.

All the REs (despite new J series engines) shout that I am crude, inefficient, heavy, stubborn and don't care what others think of me.

Hondas speak of elegance, quality and trendsetting. CB350 says I am old but not out of sync with times, never.

Heros are VFM.

Jawas, Yezdis, all part of same gang and depict never say die attitude.

Take your pick.

PS: You are still not earning so keep your father's welfare in mind. I would suggest CB350 which your father would also love to ride. You won't feel like you spent for yourself only.
Old 14th June 2022, 19:22   #26
BHPian

At the moment RE produces some stellar products in the 350cc range. The new J series engine is a gem of a motor, it is refined with a friendly power delivery, develops bags of low and midrange torque, top notch tractability to make city rides fuss free and a long service interval (10,000km/12 months) for a worry free ride. All this backed by a service
network that is much larger than it's competition.
Phantom 510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 19:37   #27
BHPian

Like most members recommend, go for a smaller displacement engine to begin with. Work your way up from a 100cc motor. One day (maybe 15 years later ) you will revisit this page and thank most of us for not encouraging you to go for a big fat engine to start with!
kiredd1005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 20:13   #28
BHPian

Although the majority of users here recommend starting off with a 125cc used vehicle, I'd probably suggest something slightly different. I'm 20 now and the first 'two wheeler' I'd owned was the Ather 450 Plus, which was wasily able to keep up with my friends' 150 - 155cc Motorcycles. Right now, I ride a RE Himalayan with no problems at all. If your story is anything like mine, you should be alright.

I started off mastering clutch control and gear operation on my friends' 125-155 ish motorcycle. Wasn't too hard when you understand the theory of it and then practice about 5-10 times. I think for me, the Ather was an excellent learning platform with regard to handling and throttle control as it is a particularly peppy scooter, I easily learnt how ot manage in both slow speed and high speed conditions.

I would also suggest taking a few lower capacity vehicles out in actual traffic and getting a feel for them. (You don't have to buy a motorcycle, just borrow or rent temporarily). And finally, strengthen your body a little bit, and you'll be able to manage the weight just fine. I think all RE's except for the 650s are perfect bikes to 'own' as a first bike and are fairly beginner friendly.

A Couple of things that you should know about most RE Bikes is that the Clutch is slightly heavy as compared to most other bikes in the segment, there are both upsides and downsides to this, but I'd want you to test ride first and then come to conclusions.

Plus I do concur with you investing in proper riding gear. Get yourself a good ECE 22.05 Certified Helmet, If not a Riding Jacket, A fairly abrasion resistant jacket, Good Shoes and A Pair of Good Gloves (None of that cheap stuff on Amazon).

Good Luck Brother, and Happy Riding!.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 20:21   #29
BHPian

Was in the same boat as you 1 year back. Learnt how to ride on my cousins Pulsar 150 and now share a Meteor 350 with my dad. As long as you have mastered clutch control and braking, the 350cc retros like Meteor, Classic and CB350 will be no problem at all. Once you get used to the weight, the Meteor is a very likeable and manageable bike even in stop-go traffic. I'd say start off on a lighter motorcycle to master the basics and then any of the bikes in your shortlist will make for a good choice.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 21:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think the CB 350 RS is a good bet. (Alternately other similar models from the Honda ~300/350 cc segment).
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will surely look at the Honda stable it is already in my lookout, also I will make sure to get the top of the line riding gear and will look into top gun too, looks like a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
I'd recommend the Meteor 350 too, but the Hness 350 steps in with 3 vital improvements- traction control, for that developing right wrist (may not be necessary, even the Meteor has relatively lazy power delivery), lighter weight if it matters, and a light slipper clutch for ease of use in city traffic.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions man, Your words give me confidence in the meteor 350 which is my personal favourite among the lot, I hope I can have as lovely experiences like you had with your Thunderbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
However since you are 5'10", I would not recommend the Jawa for you. Try the Yezdi Roadster. Of the 3 Yezdi models, this seems to be the most complete package and will suit your height and size as well.

If Jawa is not for you, then obviously the 2021 RE Classic 350 and the Honda 350 twins are the only options.
Jawa and yezdi are in my list but their dismissal sales experience has been a major put off for us but yezdi has a lot of emotional value to my father, as he had the older one during his army days so I will look into it, your words give me confidence in the Jawa brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thanks a lot Neil, the advise of experienced riders help a lot in my decision making, personally fixer does not interest me but the similar V-strom 250 interests me, so I will look into that, but again those bikes don’t have retro looks, which I love a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritkon View Post
Royal Enfield is somewhat better poised for your choice, though you yourself don't want it and is in the heavy, expensive category.

The V-strom is a good choice, but very expensive for what it is and Suzuki doesn't have a good service network.

You can consider the Yamaha FZ-X. It has a retro-modern design, looks unique, has the Yamaha reliability, has a very relaxed riding posture, good spread of service network and is less than half of your budget. If you want a bit more power, the FZ25 is also a good choice, is fast yet relaxed, light and looks quite good too. This too is around half your budget and will suit you quite well.
Actually Royal Enfield is my top pich as I have a preference towards retro themed bikes and that’s the reason Yamaha bikes are not considered as they have the sporty looks that I don’t like personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Having personally started biking on my RC390, even though I always hated KTMs for their noise and the type of rider they tended to attract, I can guarantee you that there is no better package in terms of weight distribution, balance, stability, flick-ability and feel out there in the market at that price. The confidence that you get on a KTM bike is unparalleled. That said, my advice to you would be the same as it is to every new rider, first find a way to ride some bike, any bike for atleast a month.
Thanks a lot for your advice man KTM is an excellent bike which is. A great pick but the design is pretty sporty but my preference is for retro themed bikes, but I will go for a test ride at KTM maybe It will change my outlook towards it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Since you like the looks of the Himalayan, Scram 411 and Yezdi Scrambler, I'd like to throw in a wildcard here: Hero Xpulse 200.
I would love to look at hero Xpulse, but somehow it does not have the retro looks, which I am looking for in my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
All the REs (despite new J series engines) shout that I am crude, inefficient, heavy, stubborn and don't care what others think of me.

Hondas speak of elegance, quality and trendsetting. CB350 says I am old but not out of sync with times, never.

Heros are VFM.

Jawas, Yezdis, all part of same gang and depict never say die attitude.
With all due respect buddy, I feel your views are pretty stereotypical and totally unwarranted as being from a Defence family, I have seen most of the army officers riding Bullets, that does not give them the qualities you assigned them, my father would love to get a Royal Enfield or Yezdi due to his connect with these bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
At the moment RE produces some stellar products in the 350cc range.
Thanks a lot for this information buddy, this gives me more confidence in Royal Enfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
I would also suggest taking a few lower capacity vehicles out in actual traffic and getting a feel for them. (You don't have to buy a motorcycle, just borrow or rent temporarily). And finally, strengthen your body a little bit, and you'll be able to manage the weight just fine. I think all RE's except for the 650s are perfect bikes to 'own' as a first bike and are fairly beginner friendly..
Thanks a lot for your advice, I will surely take all safety precautions while learning to ride a bike.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th June 2022 at 07:02. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
W16rocks is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks