Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2022, 15:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Benelli to launch Hungarian brand Keeway in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What makes the Keeway 300 a proper maxi though?

In terms of dimensions - it is mostly smaller than the Aerox 155.
Aerox 155 - 1,980 x 700 x 1,150 mm
Keeway 300 - 1955 x 740 x 1115 mm

Only the width is more, but then it is likely to look smaller than the Aerox, given that the wheel size is smaller too - 110/70-13 and 130/70-13 as against 110/80-14 and 140/70-14.

In terms of engine capacity - it is almost double the size but the power output is only 25% more at 19ps v/s 15ps. But then the Keeway is also much heavier - at 147kg against 126kg for the Aerox - so the actual power to weight difference is only around 10% more.
Thanks for your on paper analysis. However I believe a lot depends at what RPMs the peak power (19 ps @ 6500 rpm, instead of 15 ps @ 8000 rpm) and peak torque (22 Nm @ 6000 rpm instead of 13.9 Nm at 6500 RPMs) is delivered. Also being double the displacement (300 cc vs 155 cc) it will also have it’s role in the way the power will get delivered. As they say ‘no replacement for displacement’.

The pillion seat(or the lack of), a meagre 5L of fuel tank and stiff suspension are already the biggest downsides with the Aerox which the Vieste might/should be better at.

So I think even after having less differences on paper (when compared to the Aerox) the Vieste should be a better (read - effortless) tourer for 2-up rides.

Also you can get a slightly better power to weight ratio if you deduct 7 kgs from Vieste that would leave it with 5 kgs of fuel like the Yamaha.

Last edited by Waspune : 29th May 2022 at 15:40.
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 17:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
So I think even after having less differences on paper (when compared to the Aerox) the Vieste should be a better (read - effortless) tourer for 2-up rides.

Also you can get a slightly better power to weight ratio if you deduct 7 kgs from Vieste that would leave it with 5 kgs of fuel like the Yamaha.
I agree with the 2-up touring part but it's a very niche market, even for India.

How many Indians have 3.5 lakh to spend (which is approximately what the OTR Bangalore price of the Keeway scooters should come to) and are looking for a 2-up touring scooter?

Those who want performance will go towards the much cheaper Aerox 155 and with 3 lakh in hand (for the Scooter + mods) you can build one hell of a city slayer out of the Aerox, mostly thanks to the aftermarket support it has thanks to it's popularity in south-east asian markets. As for the issue fuel capacity this can be fixed, you can get aftermarket fuel tanks that are a direct replacement to the stock tank on the Aerox, Dismotech (the same brand that makes those 17 inch spoked rims some BHPians have been using on their RE 650's) has a 10 liter fuel tank for the Aerox and a whole bunch of parts.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 18:04   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
I agree with the 2-up touring part but it's a very niche market, even for India.

How many Indians have 3.5 lakh to spend (which is approximately what the OTR Bangalore price of the Keeway scooters should come to) and are looking for a 2-up touring scooter?
That’s the whole point IMO. It’s a niche product which automatically means it’s not bound to find many takers but at least it’s the first one of its kind.

It might not work for you, or me but for someone it might. So I don’t think it’s a bad idea to at least have products to cater to these niche markets.

Also from what I read Keeway would be launching a total of 8 products (including the already unveiled 3 products) which would span from 125 cc to 300 cc products. So more affordable products are in the pipeline.

It might be the company’s strategy to create some buzz with their flagship products which do have a certain USP and then come up with a more mainstream line of products.

Last edited by Waspune : 29th May 2022 at 18:06.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 23:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
I can see a lot of hate for them being a Chinese product. Isn’t Volvo also Chinese then?

At least Keeway has balls for offering different products.

1) A proper maxi scooter where the more established brands (like Honda, Yamaha etc) don’t have anything to offer. Ohh yes BMW does offer one for 12 lakhs.

2) A powerful retro scooter where Vespa still can’t offer anything over 150/160 ccs.

3) A long stroke twin cylinder 250 cc cruiser motorcycle with shaft drive.

To be honest none of their products have a single direct competitor in our market. So kudos to them for at least daring to take on the unexplored segments in our market.

Also let’s wait for reviews at least before forming any opinion. I remember when MG had launched the Hector , similar hate was shown for it being Chinese and now we have more people buying MG cars than before even if it entails long waiting periods.
These maxi scooters are imports unlike the Hector and Astor which are made in India. So that means that they are simply no longer price competitive also given their rather mediocre power figures for the engine size.

Secondly Benelli is not known for offering good service despite being present in only a few cities. So the value proposition drops even further since you are spending so much money on a niche scooter with questionable service. In fact that is probably the only reason I wouldn't recommend these bikes to anyone given the horror stories I have heard about Benelli's service.

Lastly Benelli don't seem all that interested in the Indian market. They haven't bothered to launch a lot of bikes that were supposedly slated for the Indian market like the 300cc parallel twins and the TNT 600i replacement. So it adds even less confidence in the brand given their rather lukewarm response to the Indian market. Pakistan in comparison has almost all their international models like the Leoncino 800, TRK 752 and more. Even Nepal has more Benelli models for sale than they have in India.
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 10:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Keeway Sixties 300i and Vieste 300 have started arriving at Keeway/Benelli dealerships across the country, with deliveries already underway.

Name:  2078078535keewayscooters_560x420.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  1425219468keewayscooters2_560x420.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  1104245497keewayscooters1_560x420.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  65.0 KB

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 12:55   #51
BHPian

So here is the review of Vieste 300, I believe this is European specifications, not sure if they have launched the same in India. I for one have been waiting eagerly for the maxi scooter market to grow in India. Been motorcycling for 25 years, have kind of grown out of it a bit, and anyone who rides gearless in city will vouch for the effortless convenience it provides, wondering why cannot some one launch a highway cruiser in the same format. The only drawback to the gearless market in India is lack of products with good power, larger fuel capacity, and sufficient luggage space. Aerox though ticking majority of the boxes has a 5 liter fuel capacity, which is not just fit for long streches. We have a youtuber making ample use of it pan India touring.

Keeping the criticism apart of Keeway being chinese, questionable unproven reliability, high price of purchase and ownership, this scooter offers a 10 liter fuel tank and around 18 ps of power. For some one like me who is comfortable with 80-90 kmph on the highways the 10 litre fuel capacity and the streched out footboard with a CVT points to relaxed mile munching.

On a slightly different note I have not been following the multiple Aerox threads but believe buyers have been facing long waiting periods due to lack of stock. I just came back to Meghalaya (Shillong) last week, in a span of 5 days I spotted around 10-15 Aerox in the city itself, apart from Ray ZR 125 being the second most seen scooter, followed by Aprilia, Ntorq. Did not spot a single Activa, and just a couple of Jupiters. Dealers will stock only if there is demand. Yamaha and Aprilia have a booming business there as compared to maybe NCR for example where I reside.

Similarly I do not predict much demand for Vieste because of factors stated, hence will remain a niche product and will keep the other players at bay from launching their entry level maxi scooters in India. I just want this segment to grow whether through Vieste, Aerox or any other manufacturer. Am awaiting eagerly for the mid level maxis to be launched here.
SidharthaN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 18:02   #52
BHPian

The Sixties 300i is an outright clone for the classic Lambretta in the looks department, and I really like it. So, while the babus in the heavy industries ministry and SIL were busy calculating their hike after the next pay commission review, a Dutch guy took away the brand name from us without paying a single paisa, and now this look alike from Hungary/China. Something like this should have come out of the SIL factory, wearing the Lambretta badge.

Regards,

Regards
Anwesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 20:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
Similarly I do not predict much demand for Vieste because of factors stated, hence will remain a niche product and will keep the other players at bay from launching their entry level maxi scooters in India. I just want this segment to grow whether through Vieste, Aerox or any other manufacturer. Am awaiting eagerly for the mid level maxis to be launched here.
One negative that caught my attention was that, inspite of being a maxi-scooter, the underseat luggage compartment is unable to hold even a open face helmet. This could be a downer, especially in India where even the basic scoots can easily take in a helmet underseat.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2022 at 16:50. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 09:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
One negative that caught my attention was that, inspite of being a maxi-scooter, the underseat luggage compartment is unable to hold even a open face helmet. This could be a downer, especially in India where even the basic scoots can easily take in a helmet underseat.
My predictions both these models will be a dud in our indian scooter market. They also have a 125 cc identical to the V300 which might be launched later. Ironically these are entry level scooters in the overseas market, and are premium products here. This segment will only take off if they start pricing the products close to the motorcycle market in the same cc category. For example a 100 cc scooter costs more than a 100cc motorcycle. From a very layman perspective i am not sure on the cost of production in comparison to motorcycles, but that is for the company to figure out how they tweak it.

On the boot space i am yet to come across an indian scooter which can accomodate a proper full size helmet. The Jupiter i have does not accomodate a Steelbird Air L which is decent size helmet. The bootwell should have been deeper, and pricing close to around the Aerox.
Old 4th June 2022, 15:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
On the boot space i am yet to come across an indian scooter which can accomodate a proper full size helmet. The Jupiter i have does not accomodate a Steelbird Air L which is decent size helmet. The bootwell should have been deeper, and pricing close to around the Aerox.
Disagree. I cannot comment on the Jupiter, but my Suzuki Access 125, which is a mass market Indian scoot, easily accommodates a Steelbird Air L full face helmet with space available for a pair of gloves and such. In comparison, the Keeway maxiscooter not able to even accommodate an open face is a downer for me and, I'm sure, for many.
Attached Images

Old 6th June 2022, 00:42   #56
BHPian

Youtube reviews

Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2022, 11:23   #57
BHPian

Two more Youtube reviews

Old 8th August 2022, 14:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

First look at the updated Benelli - Keeway showrooms - Link

Benelli to launch Hungarian brand Keeway in India-20220808_142748.jpg

Benelli to launch Hungarian brand Keeway in India-20220808_142751.jpg

Benelli to launch Hungarian brand Keeway in India-20220808_142755.jpg

Benelli to launch Hungarian brand Keeway in India-20220808_142757.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th August 2022 at 14:32.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks