Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 13:21   #16
BHPian

Re: The first Indians to motorcycle around the world | A fascinating story

There was a person called "Superman" Anand from Bangalore. He did a circumnavigation on a Lambretta scooter along with his saree clad wife in the early 70s.

I have been trying to trace his story for a while now. The only things I heard about him was his obsession with white. Everything, attire, watch dial and strap, scooter, seats, while walled tyres and dress were immaculate white. I have met him once as a young schoolboy when he came to talk about his adventures to overawed kids in our school in South Bangalore.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th April 2022 at 14:31. Reason: Minor typo and formatting.
skrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 17:24   #17
BHPian

What a wonderful read!
Thank you for sharing @V.Narayan! Livened up my Sunday afternoon
Old 17th April 2022, 18:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Recently read this. A world tour on a motorcycle is considered an amazing feat even today. And they did this back when things like GPS and mobile phones didn't exist. Can't even imagine how tough it would have been, this article is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

And one more thing, see how the motorcycles could be repaired simply anywhere. This would probably not be possible in today's day and age when even a commuter comes loaded with sensors and electronics.
F1 Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 20:55   #19
BHPian

Simply unbelievable and looks like a dream when you look back in time. Of course, history has many instances of such travels and there would be many which are not accounted for. Truly told by Subash that he lived a lifetime in those 18 months. The other short article carries a detailed map which is very informative about the route. Thanks for sharing and it really made my day.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 08:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
https://www.madornomad.com/the-first...und-the-world/
A most interesting article I stumbled upon that might interest all of you. Don't miss the hassle they went through to get Passport. This is a perfect example of the license Raj mentality of the 1950s to 1984. In my career I witnessed the tail end which was bad enough. Earlier in the 1970s it was at its absolute peak.

Attachment 2296649
Thanks for sharing. This is an amazing account of determination and self belief. Truly inspirational
Turbojet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 15:36   #21
BHPian

The article got me teary eyed at quite a few instances mostly of help and assistance offerings. What I don't understand is the passport application part. I am 76 born and had a passport at age 2. Was it so difficult to apply for one then? I guess I should check with my Parents about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks