Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2022, 18:58   #1
Team-BHP Support

February 2022: Motorcycle & Scooter Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only bikes that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 19:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: February 2022: Motorcycle & Scooter Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 19:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

Old 11th April 2022, 19:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Old 11th April 2022, 19:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 03:47   #6
BHPian

The Interceptor and Continental sell quite well in foreign countries, where they are only 15-20% cheaper than their Japanese rivals. Part of that is the aesthetic, and part just value for money. In India they are ~50% cheaper than their nearest rivals, which makes them incredible value for money. I can't imagine how many of the 650 twins RE could sell in the US or UK if they somehow cost half of a Ninja 650 or something.

The 650cc chart shows the giant gulf between these sales. Thousands of people buy the Enfields, whereas new owners of large capacity European and Japanese bikes in India number in the 10s, forming a distinct upper class amongst enthusiasts. This makes those bikes (in my eyes, no offence to any owners) somewhat unpalatable to own, they stand out too much, people notice them too much, the cost of maintenance and upkeep is prohibitive, and they make the owner seem rich, flashy, attention-seeking (I am just talking about the perception, which may not necessarily be based in reality).

Amongst those who use motorcycles to tour, I suspect that there are many who, despite having the money for a more expensive Japanese or European motorcycle, end up getting an Interceptor or Continental to be able to travel more inconspicuously, to draw less attention, fewer questions, to slip under the radar and not feel their bike to be a colourful, bedazzling spaceship. Insofar as that is true, I believe Royal Enfield have struck the absolute correct notes with these bikes, both in India and abroad.

Last edited by karanddd : 12th April 2022 at 03:48.
karanddd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 11:39   #7
BHPian

Here are some of my observations:
1. Duke 390 has lost its value proposition. But it could be indicator of new model launch also.
2. Value of 650 twins will be realised soon enough and sales would pick up.
3. Large capacity foreign manufacturers’ bikes are way too costly to gain more volumes. Perhaps they should have some competitively priced & localised products.
4. Among Indian manufacturers TVS has been bringing well equipped new products compared to hero and bajaj who are not innovating as much as they should be.
gatsby_great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
The 650cc chart shows the giant gulf between these sales. Thousands of people buy the Enfields, whereas new owners of large capacity European and Japanese bikes in India number in the 10s, forming a distinct upper class amongst enthusiasts.

[...]

Amongst those who use motorcycles to tour, I suspect that there are many who, despite having the money for a more expensive Japanese or European motorcycle, end up getting an Interceptor or Continental to be able to travel more inconspicuously, to draw less attention, fewer questions, to slip under the radar and not feel their bike to be a colourful, bedazzling spaceship. Insofar as that is true, I believe Royal Enfield have struck the absolute correct notes with these bikes, both in India and abroad.
This analysis is accurate for a large number of RE650 owners, myself included. If you ever venture outside the city (and sometimes even within cities), leaving your motorcycle unattended is a very stressful experience. Big bikes, and fully-faired ones especially, draw a ton of unwanted attention in the hinterlands and, unless you are travelling in a group, can put a target on your back. Not to mean that the RE650s do not draw attention, but in my experience it's mostly due to the burbly exhaust note (I've had BMTC drivers stop their buses in the middle of traffic to ask me "eshtu cc? mileage? price?") Parked by the roadside, it's just another "Enfield", which is fine by me!

Also, the VFM proposition is pretty strong with the RE650s as most accessories and customisation options are light on the wallet compared to what they would cost on the more premium imported motorcycles.
thebengalee is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks