Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2023, 14:49   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs

Even the first batch came with balancing weight.
@vvs29 Ok so Suzuki wakes up from its slumber and is doing a recall. Why cant they be transparent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMonk View Post
Newer V-Stroms come with balancing weight on both wheels from factory, checked 4-5 new bikes in the showroom, all had them. Possibly to counter the left-pulling phenomenon?
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 16:10   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvs29 View Post
The service center called me yesterday that Suzuki has asked to replace the camshaft and they will notify me when the part has arrived. Anyone else get the same call?
That is a new development for the 250s. Is this some kind of a silent recall from Suzuki to fix a potential issue? Please keep us posted if you find out any more details about this. I don't remember us Gixxer 250 owners having any such recall operations related to camshafts in the past. But I have seen a KL based youtuber's Strom get the head replaced under warranty because there was a noise coming from the head region and his bike was unrefined. Official explanation was some oil starvation to the head region.

Quote:
7. Newer V-Stroms come with balancing weight on both wheels from factory, checked 4-5 new bikes in the showroom, all had them. Possibly to counter the left-pulling phenomenon? I'm yet to test that.
8. On someone's previous post on this thread, I saw the rev limiter was set to 7k out of factory. Mine isn't. Possibly set at 10k, but didn't redline yet.
Congrats on the purchase! Btw, the wheel weights were always there from the Gixxer twins to Stroms. My gixxer had this exact left pulling issue and I've seen a couple of others in the fb owners group. A friend's Strom had this out of the showroom and he was one of the initial owners of the bike. The reason was misaligned forks and a minor bend in the handle bar for him. Took him a while to get it fixed by them. I have fixed mine to almost normal alignment by doing a fork reset. In fact the tyres have rampant right side wear in such cases after 10k+ kms. Not sure if this an issue from the assembly line or something that happens when transporting the bikes.

Last edited by b16h22 : 19th August 2023 at 16:22.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 21:22   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvs29 View Post
The service center called me yesterday that Suzuki has asked to replace the camshaft and they will notify me when the part has arrived. Anyone else get the same call?
Would love to get more information on this one. During my second service visit, I casually was talking them about any recalls/replacements for the 250s and they mentioned none to their knowledge.

My questions would be, why the recall? Any specific batch/date manufactured? Please do share your insights, if you can get a low down.

Quote:
Attachment 2492625

After a lot of brainstorming, finally got the baby Strom!

Just a few initial impressions - first 100 kms
1. Gear shifts are very hard.
2. You have to pull the clutch all the way in to start the bike, two finger operation is doable only if you don't keep the other two fingers on the grip. Yet to check the free play.
7. Newer V-Stroms come with balancing weight on both wheels from factory, checked 4-5 new bikes in the showroom, all had them. Possibly to counter the left-pulling phenomenon? I'm yet to test that.
8. On someone's previous post on this thread, I saw the rev limiter was set to 7k out of factory. Mine isn't. Possibly set at 10k, but didn't redline yet.

Can't wait to get over with the first service to truly utilize the bike!
On that note, I would love to connect with V-Strom owners in Pune!
TravelMonk, congratulations and welcome to the boards once again. Gear shifts are initially embarrassingly hard, post second service, the shifts become gradually smoother and click positive. Some Stroms have very hard gear shift, but eventually they come to their own.

The V-Stroms come from the factory with both the wheels balanced and weights both on the front and rear wheel. My Strom has wheel weights on both the front and the rear. Wheel weights are there to balance the wheels so that the tire and rim are in unison and equally balanced which in turn helps reducing rotation induced vibrations/harmonic oscillations.

My Strom surprisingly never had this problem of pulling to the left when ridden solo. With two up, unless a female pillion mounts sideward, there's a slight pull to the left ever so slightly, when you take your hands off the bars at around 65 to 70 kmph, even still definitely not a consternation. Good enough, if a pillion sits normally as the pilot, there's absolutely no deviation whatsoever even without hands at whatever speeds.

The rev-limiter by default is set to the highest from the factory. My Strom's rev indicator was topped at max from factory. Now, I've tried resetting just to get a feel for it, and the settings work flawless. But it's an irritant, at least to my sensitive eyes especially at night having a strobing effect on your eyes, so left it at the max setting.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 19th August 2023 at 21:26.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 12:06   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a lot of brainstorming, finally got the baby Strom!
Congratulations from another 6 footer.

Quote:
1. Gear shifts are very hard.
Behavior should change after oil change in first service.

Quote:
2.You have to pull the clutch all the way in to start the bike
That's how ECU is programmed, clutch needs to be pulled fully irrespective of gear.

Quote:
3. Out of the RE habit, I found myself changing the gears at around 2.5k RPM in traffic.
Over time, you will start shifting around 4k rpm.

Quote:
6. I would've liked the mirrors a bit taller.
Tilt mirrors to get better view.

Quote:
8. On someone's previous post on this thread, I saw the rev limiter was set to 7k out of factory.
For first 800kms, rpm limit is 5000 rpm. 800-1600 Kms, it's 7000 rpm. First service between 750 to 1000 Kms.

Quote:
Can't wait to get over with the first service to truly utilize the bike!
Let's ride together after first service.
Old 7th September 2023, 14:49   #485
Senior - BHPian

First year service completed with 4560 kms on the odometer. Two specific requests were addressed by Advaith Suzuki.
The saree guard was removed and preload adjusted (for softness) by two positions (I was told it is now at the second last position)
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-pxl_20230902_123102918.night2.jpg

No other concerns experienced or reported, everything just works in true Japanese fashion!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 16:59   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
First year service completed with 4560 kms on the odometer. Two specific requests were addressed by Advaith Suzuki.
The saree guard was removed and preload adjusted (for softness) by two positions (I was told it is now at the second last position)

No other concerns experienced or reported, everything just works in true Japanese fashion!
GTSI, the stock setting is 7 step adjustable and set at 3 from factory. Second last position means you're set at 2. If set by two positions, you're at the softest setting 1 and there's no more setting left.

How would you rate the difference the softest setting has made to the bike's overall damping dynamics?

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 10:32   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
GTSI, the stock setting is 7 step adjustable and set at 3 from factory. Second last position means you're set at 2. If set by two positions, you're at the softest setting 1 and there's no more setting left.

How would you rate the difference the softest setting has made to the bike's overall damping dynamics?

Cheers!
VJ
Right you are! The pin is at the last slot, the indent right next to it is not a slot for the pin (perhaps the service technician felt so). I was with the person when he sat splayed on the floor with the C spanner (and an extension rod) and it is did look like an easy task even at the service center. Maybe only till one gets the hang of it.
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-pxl_20230908_0331486252.jpg

On ride quality, it is definitely more forgiving than before, but I never ride with a pillion so I am unable to comment on that front.
While bolt on speed breakers are still uncomfortable (my reference point being a car), road undulations and pot holes seem to be soaked up better.

I reckon a softer setting may have reduced damping and more oscillations? (imperceptible yet for me). Perhaps the best approach is a test ride on a known patch of road at each setting, if it is possible.

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 8th September 2023 at 10:41.
Old 8th September 2023, 12:15   #488
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
VJ
I don't know if it's helpful but I have the preload set to second notch from the minimum preload position, on the Gixxer. Purely because I have a tail bone injury under recovery. It is better over bad roads when riding solo, rear is less reactive and it is overall more pliant. I don't feel the handling is terrible for spirited road riding. I'm 90kgs.

But, with a heavy pillion, it feels more sloppy and pogo stick like over undulations. Rear takes longer to settle. And the rear sags a little too much for my liking and makes the front feel lighter.

So I was thinking about going back to 3rd position. My back is better now. I think it was in 4th position when I got the bike, which I don't remember. I have not measured the sag yet.
Old 17th September 2023, 23:16   #489

Hi All. Question to all the Strom riders. Has anyone paid attention to the dynamic or instantaneous mileage calculator in the instrument cluster? Has anyone played around it to find the right rpm for each gear to get the max efficiency? I know it's dangerous to look into the cluster and ride but do share your experience with it.
Old 19th September 2023, 20:09   #490

Quote:
With that being said, the first thing I observed was the crunchy clutch lever and an equally crunchy throttle tube operation.
I am facing a similar problem. I rode the motorcycle for about 7-800 kms (the longest ride being 200 kms) before adding accessories which included risers. After adding risers, I rode about 1300 kms in 3-4 days and experienced pain in my right hand (elbow and shoulder specifically). This continued even after I removed the risers. After some playing around with the handlebar angle etc., i noticed that the throttle is quite tight after I compared it to another strom. Svc staff did claim to have fixed it and it is, indeed, better than before. But, it does not feel like before and I still feel some discomfort.
Old 20th September 2023, 12:08   #491

Hi BHPians,

I have finally gotten my VStrom SX. I really wanted to thank everyone who helped me in answering my questions and helping me find the right bike for me. So, thank you.

Now, I needed one more help. Are there any accessories or gears that are recommended for VStrom SX and for a beginner getting into touring? Also, would appreciate if you can also share your best practices in maintaining your bike.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st September 2023, 09:50   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkriderVII View Post
Are there any accessories or gears that are recommended for VStrom SX and for a beginner getting into touring?
Post on accessories from my ownership thread (Suzuki V-Strom SX 250 Ownership Review | My Kaali-Peeli).
Your need/choice of accessories could be different from mine.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 12:19   #493

Re: Suzuki V-Strom SX 250 Review : Observations after 6000 km

I am expecting the sales figures for the Strom to increase in August. Why?
Backstory : I have successfully convinced my friend who was a potential RE Meteor buyer to buy a V-Strom SX (He is super happy with the decision ) . During the enquiry, the Suzuki sales manager said after 7 months, only in August they are giving 15K off for V-Stroms. We enquired 3 showrooms and each of them were saying they had already sold around 20 V-Stroms. Some of them would have even waited for the 400 speed and Harley bike before deciding.
Old 14th October 2023, 16:43   #494
BHPian

Got these details for the Sapthagiri Suzuki showroom dealer and service manager. The jacket offer is back.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-screenshot_20231014163405.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-screenshot_20231014163924.jpg  

Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 12:31   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Im part of a few Whatsapp groups for Kerala based Suzuki 250 owners, including one that has mostly Vstrom 250 owners. Recently there was a discussion on how a few VStrom 250 owners faced the common issue of the clutch cable snapping unexpectedly. These bikes had only done between 8,000 to 14,000 kms and the owners were caught off-guard by this problem.
Today, yet another Kerala based owner of a VStrom 250 shared that the clutch cable on his motorcycle snapped unexpectedly. His motorcycle has only completed 6,100 kilometers. Something is definitely wrong with these Suzuki clutch cables!

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20231125-10.14.07-am.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20231125-10.14.12-am.jpeg
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks