Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?

Dear Ones,
Congratulations to Team-BHP on completing a spectacular sixteen-year-journey!

Motorcycle-less ever since I sold my Yamaha RX135 to a local mechanic, I am beginning to feel the void. I may have even begun to show signs of depression. Steeped in the habit of waiting for a perfect motorcycle to be launched, more than a year has sped by. I have turned fifty as well. I spend a lot of time reading about new launches and watching reviews online hoping one of them will cut the mustard. To this day, I am still on the horns of a dilemma.

I have long ached for a RE Bullet. My dad had three of them during his heydays. Yesterday, I visited a RE showroom and test-rode the Bullet 350. I was overwhelmed by the gigantic fuel tank and the weight of the motorcycle. At one point during the spin, the foot-pegs began to vibrate wildly. I wonder if at my age, I will be able to handle it safely and enjoy the ride.

Then, Honda H'ness 350 seemed like a good alternative but it weighs nearly the same. I heard stories about how refined the engine is. I also like how simple it looks. But there isn't a BigWing outlet where I live!

Soon, I began looking at smaller bikes. I liked the Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 and the Kawasaki W170. The only KTM outlet in town has offered to arrange a test ride of the Svartpilen, but there is no Kawasaki showroom here.

Also, I am keen to get one with a kick-start. Here in the semi-developed region, it may become a huge disadvantage if the battery accidentally drains. It was for this reason I had an eye on the Bullet 350 ES. It could be the last RE offering with a kick-start?

Thinking along these lines, I have arrived at the Honda CB Unicorn. It may not satisfy the enthusiast in me, however, it is quite a practical option.

Would you gentlemen have a reasonable recommendation for me?
Dressellian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?

You can actually buy the Honda CB 350 from any other district, and take it home. The bike can be serviced at any normal Honda dealership close to you. Unicorn is a different bike altogether, and wont give the same thrill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressellian View Post
Then, Honda H'ness 350 seemed like a good alternative but it weighs nearly the same. I heard stories about how refined the engine is. I also like how simple it looks. But there isn't a BigWing outlet where I live
Sebring is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 22:03   #3
BHPian

How about an xpulse? I think you'd be fairly at home on this one if you're looking at riding as a leisure activity.

It's not going to quench the need for speed the same way the likes of an RX135 or Svartpilen would, but it's going to provide you with a fairly new experience if you haven't had something like it before, and atleast it's got more power than a unicorn.

The suspension will keep your back happy. It's got a kicker to put your distrust to rest. It doesn't weigh as much as Bullet and co, though it might feel a bit heavy due to the taller stance. And in case you take a liking to it, there's a host of factory mods to get you deeper into the experience. It's also fairly easy to maintain. +Comes with 5 years of standard warranty.
drt_rdr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 22:13   #4
BHPian

I think you should reduce your fears about the lack of a kicker. In the same way cars no longer have a rod to twist and start as backup, the kicker is slowly becoming a fear of the past. You should ideally just ignore this and get yourself a nice bike.

You said that you want a replacement for your RX135, I think that from a strict speed aspect, you should get yourself a Husqvarna, or the KTM's.

As for Enfields, check out the new Meteor or the Classic. Kick Start aside it is having minimal vibrations and is a step ahead of the now obsolete and soon to be updated Bullet Series. Also, look at the Highness, it's a tad bit smoother than the newer Enfields and is an excellent bike too, you can always service it elsewhere even if there is no Bigwing showroom.

But unless you are adamant that you need a commuter, do not buy the Unicorn and instead look at these options instead.
TorqueMonster is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 08:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Then, Honda H'ness 350 seemed like a good alternative but it weighs nearly the same. I heard stories about how refined the engine is. I also like how simple it looks. But there isn't a BigWing outlet where I live!
Here're some thoughts on why you should stick with CB350
  • You love CB350
  • The service interval is 6K km
  • If you plan to ride <500 Km every month or <16.5 Km every day or <6K Km for a year, then this is THE ONE
  • Honda reliability
  • No rattling, no breaking of parts, smooth, hassle free ownership that don't require major parts replacement or waiting on parts
  • For next 50000-60000 Km, you're not going to have any major breakdown, that's Honda
  • Makes a good opportunity riding to Chennai atleast once a year to get the bike serviced just before the monsoon kicks in
  • Even if you've to wait on parts, you've premium dealership, who can order the parts & then take the bike for servicing
  • ASC might be extra considerate as you're riding from Vellore for getting the bike serviced in Chennai
Yes you might not get the luxury of getting the bike serviced on-the-go, you might have to plan few things in advance. Through the ownership, what matters are:
1. Do you love what you're riding & for how long you're going to ride
2. Will the bike stay on the road more than the time it spends at garage/ASC
3. How does the bike leave you with the feeling of ownership

Battery? I don't know about CB350, with my CBR250R, I left the bike twice unattended for a month in 2011 & 2013 on my official trip abroad. Came back clicked the Power & the bike came alive. That's the reliability of batteries these days, unlike the commuter segment batteries (on my Rx) that drains off if left unattended for 3 weeks or so

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2022 at 08:47.
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Firstly, a hearty shout out to the classical reference in the title of your post. Last place I'd expect to see a reference to Greek mythology.

I've been going through the same questions as you. I'm 50 years old and to add to the complications have never ridden anything more complicated than a Honda Dio. Never could afford a geared motorcycle at the age when most people acquire biking skills.

So the needs are very similar. The heart desires a RE Interceptor or a Kwacker Versys 650 but the fear of multiple fractures looms large. Then comes the Yolo mood and the mind asks me "When has the fear of broken bones held you back from doing utterly stupid things in the past?"

So here is the shortlist I am toying with -
1) Yamaha Aerox 155 scooter. Automatic practicality, massive underseat storage for the groceries and a sweet Yamaha bike engine. What's holding me back is the suspension is rock hard and I've heard Yamaha maybe working on softening it for India.
2) Honda CB300R. All the good things about Hondas in a package that's below 150 Kgs weight. It is expensive and thus unlikely to be common. So has poseur value. A Bigwing product. So maybe that strikes it off the list for you.
3) Hero Xpulse 4v. Much improved package. Reliable, comfortable and superb value in terms of purchase price, maintenance and fuel efficiency.
4) KTM 390Adventure. Why should only the kids go around in KTMs? Uncles rule!

Hope this helps
Ferruccio is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 11:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I liked the .. Kawasaki W170.
The W170 (or is it W175) is as much in the picture as the XSR155. Both nice retro sytled, smaller bikes - an area where there is not much competition.

Depending on what you want from the bike, the CB350 may be the one for you. So 2hat if you have to travel 1-2 during purchase and later for servicing.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:06   #8
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Take a TD of FZ25 and Aerox. I think FZ25 may be a better option considering your requirements.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The W170 (or is it W175) is as much in the picture as the XSR155.
Oops! It is a W175!

I dig motorcycles that look like the RX135. I am not a huge fan of these modern machines with the pillion section aiming for the skies.

If I can apply the same logic many of you used in your comments, I can do a Vellore-Chennai trip once in a while to get the W175 serviced as well (because there isn't a Kawasaki showroom here)?
Old 31st March 2022, 16:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

A long ride to service seems enticing but that assumes that the bike is flawless which isn't always the case. In case of malfunctions or even minor niggles that "ride" might become a headache if you're busy otherwise or have to get it transported.
Not saying its definite but its possible and not discouraging you but just calling it out.

As for the motorcycle, which you like to have retro and flat seated, some recommendations for a TD/TR :

- XPulse 200 4V : flat and comfortable but might not impress with its power

- Yezdi Scrambler : new entrant, promising but take a detailed TD since quality issues have been mentioned

- CB 350 H'ness/RS : already a lot has been said about it

- RTR 160/200 4V : only because you're looking at the Unicorn and ince there TD the 200 as well ignoring the sky-seat for once

Last edited by shancz : 31st March 2022 at 16:12. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 16:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your thread's title reminded me of one of my favourite songs.

About your question, do try the Apache 200 4v, Gixxer 250 and Honda CB350 / CB300R too.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 31st March 2022 at 17:06.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 18:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Your thread's title reminded me of one of my favourite songs.
I'm sure it did! Many thanks for the input!
Old 3rd April 2022, 10:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Ones,

I have long ached for a RE Bullet. My dad had three of them during his heydays. Yesterday, I visited a RE showroom and test-rode the Bullet 350. I was overwhelmed by the gigantic fuel tank and the weight of the motorcycle. At one point during the spin, the foot-pegs began to vibrate wildly. I wonder if at my age, I will be able to handle it safely and enjoy the ride.

Soon, I began looking at smaller bikes. I liked the Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 and the Kawasaki W170. The only KTM outlet in town has offered to arrange a test ride of the Svartpilen, but there is no Kawasaki showroom here.

Thinking along these lines, I have arrived at the Honda CB Unicorn. It may not satisfy the enthusiast in me, however, it is quite a practical option.

Hello! I'd posted a similar question just yesterday, here it is in case it's useful- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ice-range.html (What motorcycle, in the Rs 1 - 5 lakh price range?)

For your kick-start specific question, there's the Xpulse 200 4V that offers this; I'd recommend that you maybe keep a spare new battery at home in case you need it and just buy the best possible bike you can afford. I'm looking at the CB350RS personally, and that choice became clear after many members echoed that in my post. Good luck!

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 3rd April 2022 at 10:17.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:01   #14
BHPian

Hey! Thanks for that link to your post. Your considerations are well thought-out and I think it is the right way to go about it.
At my age, I cannot wrap my head around the FZ25s and Gixxers. A true retro will be more like it.
I have arranged for a TD of Jawa 42. The general consensus among the community is Jawa needs to go through a few iterations to come of age.
On another thread, someone had called the W175 'too little, too late.'
And Honda, like Kawasaki, is yet to open a BigWing showroom in my city.

That's where it stands now. I haven't discarded the Bullet 350 yet. I just need to come to terms with the weight of the motorcycle. Will I?
Old 3rd April 2022, 14:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hey! Thanks for that link to your post. Your considerations are well thought-out and I think it is the right way to go about it.
At my age, I cannot wrap my head around the FZ25s and Gixxers. A true retro will be more like it.
I have arranged for a TD of Jawa 42. The general consensus among the community is Jawa needs to go through a few iterations to come of age.
On another thread, someone had called the W175 'too little, too late.'
And Honda, like Kawasaki, is yet to open a BigWing showroom in my city.p

That's where it stands now. I haven't discarded the Bullet 350 yet. I just need to come to terms with the weight of the motorcycle. Will I?
If an RE is what you want, I think you should just get one. The new Classic 350 and the Meteor 350 come with much smoother engines and are generally better-built than their previous avatars. I have owned 2 REs before, and nothing comes close to that serene long stroke freight train wave of torque to coast through. I let go of mine for different reasons, as I'd moved to a different set of needs from my motorcycles. The weight is a factor, yes; would you happen to have a friend or a relative who could lend you the bike for a few days to see if you can manage it? If yes, then do try that. The remaining neo retros aren't all that lighter than the Bullet (10-15 kgs max).

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 3rd April 2022 at 14:13.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks