Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2022, 18:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Firstly, a hearty shout out to the classical reference in the title of your post. Last place I'd expect to see a reference to Greek mythology.
Borrowed from a Sting favourite. I can't believe I missed reading your reply while scrolling down. Discovered it just now.
Quote:
So the needs are very similar. The heart desires a RE Interceptor or a Kwacker Versys 650 but the fear of multiple fractures looms large. Then comes the Yolo mood and the mind asks me "When has the fear of broken bones held you back from doing utterly stupid things in the past?"
Totally agree! I have cared little for broken bones while riding my 100/135cc motorcycles. More recently, a strange kind of fear has crept up on me from behind and I don't become adventurous anymore during the ride. I ride alone these days by the way.
I am beginning to think if I should wait it out. There is talk on the grapevine about a Triumph-Bajaj motorcycle that could be retro-designed. Have you heard?
Old 3rd April 2022, 21:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You can actually buy the Honda CB 350 from any other district, and take it home. The bike can be serviced at any normal Honda dealership close to you.
I thought so too, but the nearest BigWing is in Chennai. Vellore, where I live, should ideally get one soon, or so I am led to believe.

I read the OR of your Smurfy. Thoroughly enjoyed it! More than a year after you bought it, have you grown fonder of your motorcycle?
Despite a missing kick-starter, I lean heavily toward the CB350. I may even be travelling to Chennai to test ride it soon.
Old 3rd April 2022, 21:56   #18
BHPian

Honda CB350 Hness or RS350. Get it from the nearest Bigwing and enjoy the ride.
Every time i have visited the Mysore road Bigwing, i have see people coming from many nearest towns to service the bike. This is the case as bike is mightier than the rest. Just go for it. The service interval after the 1yr is wide, so you wont have any trouble.
groom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 22:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes. It's a great all-rounder. Love the weekend rides on the CB 350. Very reliable too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressellian View Post
More than a year after you bought it, have you grown fonder of your motorcycle?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 22:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Through the ownership, what matters are:
1. Do you love what you're riding & for how long you're going to ride
2. Will the bike stay on the road more than the time it spends at garage/ASC
3. How does the bike leave you with the feeling of ownership
Of course! I'll ride it until petrol motorcycles are banned for ever. You'll find me running everyday errands on it.

Quote:
Battery? I don't know about CB350, with my CBR250R, I left the bike twice unattended for a month in 2011 & 2013 on my official trip abroad. Came back clicked the Power & the bike came alive. That's the reliability of batteries these days, unlike the commuter segment batteries (on my Rx) that drains off if left unattended for 3 weeks or so
I once rode a RX135 without a battery because someone has messed up the wiring at the service station.
Do you think it is a good idea to stock up on a spare battery and learn how to make the switch? Just in case...
Old 3rd April 2022, 23:06   #21
BHPian

Fear of drained battery can be addressed with a lithium polymer battery jump start kit. It's compact, and can go in any bike emergency kit. Don't limit your bike choice for lack of a kick starter.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 07:11   #22

Quote:
Dear Ones,
Congratulations to Team-BHP on completing a spectacular sixteen-year-journey!

I have long ached for a RE Bullet.

Then, Honda H'ness 350 seemed like a good alternative

I liked the Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 and the Kawasaki W170.

Thinking along these lines, I have arrived at the Honda CB Unicorn.
Would you gentlemen have a reasonable recommendation for me?
So, here's my take. I'm a noobie compared to others (only 8 years on the road).
Bullet is a great option. Vibes can be managed (not eliminated) by synthetic oils like Castrol power 1 cruise and some other bits (I own a thunderbird 350). Good torque, about 35kmpl FE, and that weird satisfaction of riding a bullet which I can't put in words. Pick any pre-owned BS3 UCE Royal Enfield for cheap and make it your own. Best way to go.

Coming to Honda H'ness 350, service would be a major pain as it has to be serviced by BIGWING HONDA and no regular service centers are authorities to service the bike and the part are hard to obtain along with being pricey. Same goes for CB350RS

KTM makes great bikes (owned a DUKE 390 for 2years but pandemic got to it), easy and cheap to own. Plenty of after-market parts and the service is a breeze (they service the bike in front of you and the techs are quite nice and knowledgeable). You can check out the dominar 400 UG as well.

Don't have much expertise with Kavasakis but they do tend to be expensive to own as everything is imported

Lastly, if unicorn is a practical choice why not look at hornet 2.0 or cb200x (My choice in 200cc segment). Both are smooth, comfortable and easy to maintain.

If I had the money, a 350 classic in matte green and a cb200x would have been the perfect combo to cover my riding needs
tedha_ant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
There is talk on the grapevine about a Triumph-Bajaj motorcycle that could be retro-designed. Have you heard?
There's a cheap Triumph with Bajaj, there's a BSA with Classic and there's another retro with TVS.

But over 3 decades as a 4 wheeler product honcho for half a dozen companies have taught me -

1) Bird in hand... Go and buy what is available in showrooms and don't wait endlessly for the rumoured and the mythical. 7 of 8 new projects die before they make it to the market.

2) Esoteric products may light your fire but it is volumes that light the hearth. Between a low volume product that appeals to the heart and a high volume product that appeals to the mind, always choose a high volume product. You'll save yourself a lot of pain, expense and heart ache.

3) No matter how reputed the manufacturer and how great their fame of quality a product that's been around a few generations is always better than a new launch. Getting 300+ mechanical and electrical parts to sing from the same sheet in one melodious opera takes time and testing.

Not a single brand always gets it right the first time.... No one. So when it comes to any complicated thingamajig always less of Shraddha (faith) and more of Saburi (patience).

So there you have it... By those filters you and me are gonna meet up half way between Chennai and Coimbatore riding Hero Splendours
Ferruccio is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 14:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
1) Bird in hand... Go and buy what is available in showrooms and don't wait endlessly for the rumoured and the mythical. 7 of 8 new projects die before they make it to the market.
Thinking along these lines, I took the Benelli Imperiale 400 for a TR this morning.

Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?-img_1253.jpeg

From the word go, the motorcycle was eager to go off the blocks with zest, perhaps because it had a bigger rear sprocket than its rivals.

Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?-img_1255.jpeg

At one point, I had to crawl at 5-10 KMPH. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the motorcycle maintained its upright stance. It just won't lean to one side!

Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?-img_1252.jpeg

The console is just like how I want it to be. The best in its class, I would say. It reminds me of the meters on the RD350.

Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?-img_1254.jpeg

Quote:
2) Esoteric products may light your fire but it is volumes that light the hearth. Between a low volume product that appeals to the heart and a high volume product that appeals to the mind, always choose a high volume product. You'll save yourself a lot of pain, expense and heart ache.
On the other hand, only a few people have bought this motorcycle in my town. Much less than those who ride the ubiquitous RE Bullet/Classic 350.

Quote:
3) No matter how reputed the manufacturer and how great their fame of quality a product that's been around a few generations is always better than a new launch. Getting 300+ mechanical and electrical parts to sing from the same sheet in one melodious opera takes time and testing.
The guy at the RE Dealership said, "Bullet will last a lifetime." But many say it is obsolete. Really?

For now, I have parked the Benelli Imperiale 400 on my favourites list.
Attached Thumbnails
Caught between Scylla and Charybdis | Which motorcycle should I buy?-img_1251.jpeg  

Dressellian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 15:36   #25
BHPian

At 46 years of age, I am also rocking in the same boat. Sold my 2013 RE TBTS500 last year after getting frustrated with unending niggles and poor quality of parts.

I have test ridden Jawa 42, Meteor, Yezdi Roadster and CB350.
Nimble and easy to ride, smooth engine, vibration free ride and decent Fuel efficiency - CB350 checks all the boxes . Go for it without giving a second thought. You won't regret.

As far as lack of service outlet is concerned, you shouldn't worry considering the pace with which Honda Bigwing is spreading wings across tier 2 cities. Outlet in my hometown, Bhopal is operational since last one year. By the time your 1st year service will be due, a service outlet should be available nearer to you.
azm@bpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 18:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azm@bpl View Post
By the time your 1st year service will be due, a service outlet should be available nearer to you.
That's a salient point you have made! I have been spontaneously more interested in the CB350 since its launch than in its rivals and alternatives.

Good luck with your choosing and deciding. Do keep us posted.
Dressellian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 14:26   #27
BHPian

I wandered back to RE Bullet 350 and called up the local showroom to ask how long I may have to wait for it? "Two months", offered the salesman, "By the way, a new model will go on sale soon. If it is within these two months, I will automatically upgrade the booking so you will get the new version."
Last week, I read an online report that a new Bullet is indeed in the offing and may be launched much later in 2022,
Do you know when? Do you know more about how different the 2022 model will be?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks