Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2024, 19:21   #376

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have been silently following Team-BHP for the past 6-7 years and only joined the forum recently. I wanted to share my observations about the suspension on the Aerox and what’s changed in the updated one.

As an owner of a 2022 Aerox myself, I have completed over 13k kms so far and have been enjoying the experience of owning it. I changed my rear suspension to the Indo Spec ones quite early on in my ownership. The older Aerox came with very stiff rear suspension, in fact they took the same shocks from the RayZR which only has a single shock at the rear and put two of them on the Aerox (as Aerox comes with dual rear shocks). This resulted in terrible ride on anything except the most perfect of highways. Now in the late 2023 update, what they have done is that they have reduced the number of coils on the spring of the rear shocks which effectively makes it softer. It is now a lot better than before, and is actually perfect for a sports scooter. Mind it, it still isn’t as soft as say a Jupiter or Access, people coming from commuter scooters and bikes will still find it hard. But after riding my friend’s new Aerox, I can say that it is actually good enough. Now my Indo spec shocks are softer than even the updated suspension but sometimes I feel that they are a bit softer than I would have liked them to be.

Coming to the front suspension, I found my old Aerox’s front suspension to be on the softer side so I ended up with replacing the fork oil with Motul 20W oil , 60ml per fork. That made a good improvement in terms of stability and it wasn’t bottoming out anymore. When I was changing the fork oil, I noticed that my forks had ‘Made in Indonesia’ written on them. Recently when I rode my friend’s new Aerox, I noticed that it was bottoming very easily, even more so that mine did when mine was on the stock fork oil. So I ended up changing his fork oil as well to the Motul 20W and used 62ml per fork as he is a bit heavier than me. What surprised me was that while the front end did become more stable and wasn’t bottoming as easily, it still was occasionally bottoming out which wasn’t the case with mine even though I filled a slightly lower quantity of oil in mine. I didn’t see the ‘Made in Indonesia’ stamp on the new ones and I’m guessing they have localised the manufacturing of the front forks. That must have something to do with the softer forks.

So for people with the updated Aerox who are going to change the fork oil, go for 65ml per fork of Motul 20W. That should be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhead View Post
My bike is 2024 manufactured and I took delivery in March first week. I do feel rear suspension is too hard. For the front, for now I'm thinking of getting the oil changed to 15w and up to the required quantity (60ml as someone tried here). My commute is 45kms a day in Bangalore.
Go with 20W instead, 15W might not make much of a difference and fill 65ml per fork since yours is the 2024 one
Speedracer47 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 08:02   #377
BHPian

My 15-month-old Aerox battery drained when I didn't use my scooter for over 10 days. I have disconnected the BT module now, but I'm deciding whether to replace the stock one with a new battery. This is the first instance of a battery drain issue for me. What is the life of a stock battery? Should I buy a new battery or charge my existing stock battery?
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:09   #378
Senior - BHPian

The life of the battery is about 15 months (With BT module on). Plz replace it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
My 15-month-old Aerox battery drained when I didn't use my scooter for over 10 days. I have disconnected the BT module now, but I'm deciding whether to replace the stock one with a new battery
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:38   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The life of the battery is about 15 months (With BT module on). Plz replace it
Can you tell me which one you picked? Is it a straight-forward swap? I see the following options, I didn't find Exide with similar specs.

AMARON PRO Bike Rider 2 Wheeler Battery - APBTZ7L (ABR-PR-APBTZ7L)
Tata Velocity Plus YTZ7
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:44   #380
Senior - BHPian

I put the original imported battery paying 7K. It is holding up well for the year. Not sure if you can get the same spec in Indian make
Quote:
Can you tell me which one you picked? Is it a straight-forward swap? I see the following options, I didn't find Exide with similar specs. AMARON PRO Bike Rider 2 Wheeler Battery - APBTZ7L (ABR-PR-APBTZ7L)Tata Velocity Plus YTZ7
Old 2nd April 2024, 19:39   #381

Quote:
Can you tell me which one you picked? Is it a straight-forward swap? I see the following options, I didn't find Exide with similar specs.

AMARON PRO Bike Rider 2 Wheeler Battery - APBTZ7L (ABR-PR-APBTZ7L)
Tata Velocity Plus YTZ7
Both the models you mentioned are exact replacements for the stock battery. You will have to get your battery cover replaced with the 2023 updated one though because these batteries are just a slight bit taller and the old cover won’t fit properly. The 2023 Aerox comes with an Exide battery and the taller cover for the same
Speedracer47 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:29   #382
BHPian

Update on the battery replacement:
I got the Exide Xplore (XLTZ7). It has the same specifications as the OEM battery (slightly taller). Once I replaced the battery, I couldn't start the bike. The ignition was on, but the bike wouldn't start. I checked all the fuses and connections again, but it wouldn't start. I called the Whitefield Yamaha service center, and they asked me to tow the bike to the service center. I tried starting the bike again in the morning, but it still didn't work.

I towed my bike to the service center (using getrescued service, paid 1000), once it was unloaded, I tried again, and this time my bike started without any fuss! It was a hilarious and frustrating experience at the same time. To avoid draining issue I have removed BT module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer47 View Post
You will have to get your battery cover replaced with the 2023
Currently, I have used a longer screw to use the existing cover, but I will definitely get the newer version. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 3rd April 2024, 14:20   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Also, I have changed the suspension to RCB DB5 as I felt the stock suspensions were fine for highways but not so much for city roads. !
I got my RCB DB5 from hypertourer last week and installed myself. Still playing with the settings to find the right ones for me. Can you share the settings (compression, rebound and preload) that you are using ?
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:10   #384
BHPian

Quote:
I got my RCB DB5 from hypertourer last week and installed myself. Still playing with the settings to find the right ones for me. Can you share the settings (compression, rebound and preload) that you are using ?
Hi Travelhead,

Frankly speaking, I am not at all a technical fellow when it comes to these sort of discussion. I am also new to adjustable suspension, looked up a few videos and tried doing it myself. I cannot give you the exact settings as it will depend on your body weight and preference regarding how you like the feedback (compression/rebound)

From my DIY, initially, I turned it all to minimum (counter clockwise), preload, rebound and compression to begin with. Then adjusted the preload based how much the bike sags on RCB videos on Youtube, to a rough extent. Post that took it out for ride, which included roads with bumps, potholes, and random other things. Slightly adjusted (increased) both by 2-3 clicks. Ride and repeat till I found an okayish settings. I must mention, I still find the ride to be bouncy when I go over those cement patches which is sometimes used to fill the road. I am yet to fine tune the adjustments.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with shops which can adjust it. I haven't explored it but I might if I am unable to do the final bits of adjustments myself.

Hope you find this useful.

On another note, is the flange bolt at the bottom on the suspension proper fit?. I think the bolt length is about 2-5mm short as I cant see the bolt end but can feel it when I run my fingers. Any idea what's the size of the bolt? I am thinking of getting proper length bolts to alleviate my OCD

Last edited by minzanurag : 3rd April 2024 at 15:11.
minzanurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 16:26   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with shops which can adjust it. I haven't explored it but I might if I am unable to do the final bits of adjustments myself.

Hope you find this useful.

On another note, is the flange bolt at the bottom on the suspension proper fit?. I think the bolt length is about 2-5mm short as I cant see the bolt end but can feel it when I run my fingers. Any idea what's the size of the bolt? I am thinking of getting proper length bolts to alleviate my OCD
Adjusting the compression and rebound is new to me as well. On my R3 (which is sold now) only preload was adjustable and that was so so simple.

I may go to highlander in HSR if they agree to work on my Aerox, but that will be after a couple of weeks. Mean time I'll be trying different settings myself as I have been doing since the last week.

Regarding the bolts at the bottom of the shocks, you are right, they were a little longer for stock shocks and a little shorter for the DB5 due to the thickness at mounting point.
Old 4th April 2024, 12:55   #386
BHPian

Quote:
I may go to highlander in HSR if they agree to work on my Aerox, but that will be after a couple of weeks.
I am sure they will be able to help you out on this. However, Highlander is too far from my place (~35kms one way) and therefore, unless I have multiple tasks to be done on the bike, I will postpone my visit. Please let me know if they are able to set it as per your preference.
minzanurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 17:43   #387
BHPian

I’m about to give my Aerox for 15000 kms service. Anything I should monitor? What is the checklist?

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th April 2024 at 19:37.
Old 10th April 2024, 17:46   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek_ACM View Post
I’m about to give my Aerox for 15000 kms service. Anything should I monitor?? What is the checklist ??
Engine oil, gear oil, air filter should be replaced.

Brakes to be cleaned and inspected. Coolant to be inspected and topped up if required.
While your at the service centre pick up the Yamaha fuel system cleaner. Empty it in your fuel tank and fill your tank. This should suffice.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th April 2024 at 19:39. Reason: Spacing for readability.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 19:16   #389

I want to pen down a negative experience I've had with two Yamaha Dealers in Pune.
1. Spirit Automotive, Wakdewadi (also known as Shelar Yamaha)
2. Shelar Yamaha Service Centre in Kothrud, Pune.

The incident:
I live 18 kilometers away from the service centre in Wakdewadi, so I always book an appointment in advance. I wanted to bring my Aerox to service centre today (the service actually quite decent, apart from them overcharging for spares and consumables and always trying to upsell and recommending things one doesn't need, for e.g. I was recommended to change brake pads during second service!).

So I made an appointment on 13th of March 2024, through call as well as text, for which I received a positive response. Today when I went there for service appointment and it was shut! I tried calling the service centre, after trying a couple of times I got through to them and I was told that the service centre is closed, no reason whatsoever was mentioned. Then they asked me to take my Aerox to their service centre in Kothrud and I would get my vehicle serviced on the same day, which I did.

There the service representative told me that only the name is same but they have no relations with the first dealer whatsoever. After that started noting down the jobcard, but after I informed them that I had brought oil with me, they informed me that that isn't allowed, even though the oil was from Yamaha. The reason given to me was that they 'could not guarantee the same standards' (again, sealed original Yamaha synthetic oil container!), I informed them that was fine and I would take the responsibility for that if something went wrong and I was ready to put it in writing.

In the end they just told me that they could use the semi-synthetic oil they had, but I would need to keep my vehicle till the next day, but by that time I was thoroughly annoyed by their incompetence so decided to not get it serviced today at all.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th April 2024 at 19:38. Reason: Para spacing for better readability.
hphse33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:20   #390
BHPian

Aerox Ver S now with smart key. Still the same old back breaking suspension.

Name:  IMG_4674.png
Views: 465
Size:  539.5 KB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks