Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2023, 09:34   #316
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I removed the module and faced no issues with over two months of zero usage (same stock battery, just recharged at the dealership after the first drain). I find the mobile app gimmicky so not missing out on anything by doing do!
Cool. How easy it is to disconnect?
Just remove a panel & pull out a connector type of thing or even more?

Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 12:28   #317
BHPian

Took delivery of my Aerox yesterday from Yamaha Motorworld showroom in Bommanahalli. Have ridden for around 20Kms since then. Haven't taken it far out as I'm awaiting the HSRP plate from showroom.

Purchase decision: I stay around a very busy neighborhood in Bangalore close to major IT parks like ecospace and ecoworld. I make two trips to my office located in Mahadevapura (12Kms from home) in a week, frequent trips to HSR layout (Kms from home), daily trip to gym (1Km from home) and then ad hoc shopping trips to nearby grocery stores. I have been taking the car out for all of these trips. With the ever increasing traffic and a constant decrease in the number of parking spaces, need arouse for a two wheeler. While I wouldn't call myself a biker or a two wheeler enthusiast, I enjoy admiring good looking bikes and always appreciate well engineered products in the bike world.

Started looking out for options. First decision point was choosing between a motorcycle or a scooter. Started looking at motorcycles. I found only two of them I liked:

1. Scrambler 400X:

+Ves - Excellent quality overall, good stance, sorted out suspension, nimble
-Ves - Expensive for my use case of city rides, unclear service levels, lack of utility

2. Meteor 350:

+Ves - Excellent quality, feels like a couch on wheels, good build quality
-Ves - Expensive for my use case of city rides, its a cruiser and not a city bike, lack of utility, RE service

It started becoming clear that a scooter is better fitted for my use case and my wife also was leaning towards a scooter as she also wanted to use it for her local runs. My wife still holds the grudge for not including her in the purchase decision of our car 5 years ago. She wanted an automatic but I insisted on a manual as I would be the primary driver. So I didn't want to gather another strike on an otherwise happy married life. Started looking at scooter options. Started in the world of electric scooters.

3. Ather 450X:

+Ves - Brilliantly engineered, good quality, good storage, myriad of features on board and fun to ride
-Ves - Relatively expensive, longer charging time

4. OLA S1 Pro:

+Ves - Value for money, fast charging, good storage, decent set of features and extremely fun
-Ves - Quality concerns, passive cooling, bad plastic quality

I was leaning towards the Ather but upon enquiring with the RWA, they weren't allowing installation of chargers and common chargers are always occupied. This immediately eliminated electric options. Off to ICE Scooters. Didn't look at the activas, jupiters, avenis', ntorqs as they were all far too common, boring to ride and I had a personal inclination towards maxi scooters. This left me with three choices:

5. Suzuki Burgman Ex:

+ Ve: Suzuki reliability, smooth engine, decent storage, good service network
- Ve: Proportions look off, lack of power, expensive for what it is

6. Aprilia SXR 160:

+ Ve: Personally feel this is the best looking scooter in the Indian market now and missus loved it, showroom experience was also good.
- Ve: But I was left underwhelmed after the test ride as I was constantly wondering where all this displacement is being utilized. 10Hp from 160 cc feels under utilization and it was genuinely boring to ride. Plus all the service and quality concerns raised across team bhp and other forums led me to drop it.

AEROX

Final option I tried out was the Yamaha Aerox. This was sort of a wild card entry after I saw a blue one in the office parking lot. Researched a bit online and realized it could be a good balance between a motorcycle and a scooter. Went to checkout the scooter in Yamaha Motorworld in Bommanahalli along with Missus. Initial impressions were not good. Missus didn't like this one bit as she preferred scooters with a flat footboard. She also found it to be expensive for a scooter. It didn't help much that they didn't have a test ride vehicle for aerox as well. Thankfully one of the staff offered their personal Aerox for a test ride. The machine bowled me over instantly with the smoothness of the engine and power delivery. Missus also liked the overall looks and quality. Though very apprehensive, she managed to squeeze in a quick ride and loved the overall feel. This is what I feel about the aerox in terms of pros and cons:

Pros

1. Looks - I love the looks of this scooter. Smooth lines, no unnecessary design elements and unique on our roads
2. Engine and power delivery - Unlike the Aprilia, Yamaha has managed to utilize every bit of the 155 cc well and this results in excellent power delivery. The scooter is a hoot to ride and its absolute juvenile fun to rev it and take off at signals. CVT tuning seem to be done well to provide linear acceleration. The motorcycle spec wheels and tires help putting the power to tarmac really well.
3. Under seat storage - Good storage space under the seat and I was able to fit my helmet while placing it upside down
4. Suspension - Now before you all start wondering whether I'm cuckoo for mentioning this as a pro, hear me out. I ride a drop bar road bike with no suspension whatsoever for 50 to 75Kms every weekend. So my standards for suspension comfort is extremely low. For me personally, the suspension felt good enough for the limited riding I did. Might change my opinion over long term use
5. TCS/ ABS - Traction control is a welcome addition and ABS is a minimum for all modern vehicles

Cons

1. Perceived Build quality - Now this is a premium product and Yamaha should've taken a more no-compromise approach on quality. Quality of plastics used for the fuel lid and the front storage space doesn't belong on any vehicle in this day and age. Overall they could've given better quality plastics
2. Lights - Again a case of Yamaha skipping on important features. Lights are adequate at best
3. Utility - No charging option within the lockable storage, front storage in small to fit any modern smartphone, central tunnel restricts carrying things on the front.
4. It is expensive

What made me buy: It ticked the boxes of a fun, easy to use, easy to maintain good looking two wheeler that me and wife both could use.

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-img20231130wa0017.jpg
anoopGTkrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 21:57   #318
BHPian

Brother took the Aerox out for a short ride on Sunday, and this happened. He was diagonally tailing a rickshaw at low 20-30kmph speeds. Rickshaw suddenly wildly swerved out from its lane and into his. He braked enough to not get hurt, but not enough to avoid contact. [Turns out Rickshaw was avoiding a sudden wrong way car that turned the corner at high speed, so not the rickshaw's fault either]

But here's the damage:
Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-whatsapp-image-20231204-17.41.44_0501e5e7.jpg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-whatsapp-image-20231204-17.41.44_c8037da1.jpg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-whatsapp-image-20231204-17.41.44_e20c22cf.jpg

The scooter didn't even fall down (the scratches you see on the side fairing are from a previous side stand fall, already in this thread), so it wasn't a big impact. But the side fairing broke off nonetheless since it is just plastic. Looking at the damage, the connected fairings also have their hooks broken, and the number plate holder is also lifting up.

I'm fine with the bike getting damaged (no I am not, but relieved no one got hurt). But now begins the wait of getting the spare parts from Yamaha. The official service center has like 20-30 part requests pending that haven't been delivered yet, and my request is now at the bottom of this list. I placed a request with the service center on Sunday itself, and when I followed up with them on Thursday, they still had not placed the order forward to Yamaha since the company was closed (yes, their words).

This is my second side fairing change (I got the same one changed once before when it was lightly scratched, only for the bike to fall again and get the deeper scratch). Last time took ~15+ days, but at least I could use the bike. Right now, I can't since the number plate holder might just fly off anytime, and the broken fairings are sharp and can hurt someone.

Yamaha knows this side fairing is the most replaced part on the Aerox after the suspension. Yet...

I also got a big front brake disc a day before this happened lol. Did not get the chance to install it. Maybe if the brake bite was sharper, this wouldn't have happened. Oh well...

Last edited by quicksilver101 : 7th December 2023 at 21:59.
quicksilver101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 03:17   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver101 View Post
Brother took the Aerox out for a short ride on Sunday, and this happened. He was diagonally tailing a rickshaw at low 20-30kmph speeds. Rickshaw suddenly wildly swerved out from its lane and into his. He braked enough to not get hurt, but not enough to avoid contact. [Turns out Rickshaw was avoiding a sudden wrong way car that turned the corner at high speed, so not the rickshaw's fault either]

Yamaha knows this side fairing is the most replaced part on the Aerox after the suspension. Yet...

I also got a big front brake disc a day before this happened lol. Did not get the chance to install it. Maybe if the brake bite was sharper, this wouldn't have happened. Oh well...
Do you have the old scratched but intact fairing with you? You could use it temporarily

Last edited by Sheel : 9th December 2023 at 09:39. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 10th December 2023, 13:34   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Do you have the old scratched but intact fairing with you? You could use it temporarily
Unfortunately, no. I did not foresee such a chain of events.

They placed the order yesterday, i.e. 6 days after taking an advance from me. They don't have a shipping confirmation yet, so they can't provide an ETA either.

Meanwhile, I approached a local reseller. He was confident he could get the panel, but turns out even his sources are dried up for the left front side panel. He took a look at my bike and fixed up some of the panels that had gotten loose. The panel below the headlight has one of the side connectors broken, so I would need to replace that too. Opting to get it done from him since it is cheaper and presumably quicker than official service center.
Old 13th December 2023, 11:13   #321
BHPian

100 Kms into the ownership, these are my observations. Have been using the aerox for commuting to office regularly via the dreaded outer ring road her in Bangalore.

Positives:
1. Engine is smooth and has excellent low end torque to navigate through traffic
2. Decent fuel efficiency of 35Kmpl before first service is promising
3. Under seat storage is excellent and have made grocery runs a breeze. It is also fitting my MT Hummer helmet without any trouble

Negatives:
1. Front suspension is horrible while approaching speed breakers or uneven surfaces at moderate speeds. Might have to change the whole suspension set up to save the alloys in the long run
2. Rearview mirrors are anything but useful. You can barely see anything. Might upgrade to the R15 mirrors with GPS mount from hypertourer
3. Seats seem a bit slippery but will wait for another 400km before making any changes in this department
Old 14th December 2023, 09:29   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
1. Front suspension is horrible while approaching speed breakers or uneven surfaces at moderate speeds.
2. Rearview mirrors are anything but useful. You can barely see anything.
Agree on front suspension! I have upgraded rear but looks like front have to changed as well, not yet sure which one to opt for. OEM rear view mirrors are useless! Wish it had rear view mirror like Ather (IT has suprisingly good mirrors for a small scooter)
Old 14th December 2023, 10:57   #323
Senior - BHPian

Just put a mirror extender from Swastik Industries Bangalore. I find the mirror quality, per se, good. No need to change
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
Agree on front suspension! I have upgraded rear but looks like front have to changed as well, not yet sure which one to opt for. OEM rear view mirrors are useless! Wish it had rear view mirror like Ather (IT has suprisingly good mirrors for a small scooter)
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 15:03   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Just put a mirror extender from Swastik Industries Bangalore. I find the mirror quality, per se, good. No need to change
Did you buy it online? Any pics to share?
Old 15th December 2023, 20:23   #325
Senior - BHPian

This is the pic. They have a website, maybe you can google - Swastik (RAM Mount dealer). I can PM you his number in case required
Quote:
Did you buy it online? Any pics to share?
Attached Images

Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 13:37   #326

Hello, Everyone.

Just bought an Aerox last week, in the MotoGP edition colorway mainly because I wanted an all black Aerox (I do not like those stickers, even though they are the USP). Bought it from Yamaha Moto World Bommanahalli, Bangalore. I was even told that this particular scooter is from the last batch of MotoGP Edition Aerox made for now. When I called them on Friday, 15-12-2023, they had said there are limited stocks available and I might be able to get one two days later if I do not book it the same day and so that is what I did that day, went and booked it for 2000 rupees. Followed that with the actual payment on the adjacent Sunday, 17-12-2023 and even took delivery on Monday, 18-12-2023. The staff didn't really know the scooter to its bones but could clarify basic details effectively. The test drive was a little disappointing and also freighting as it was on a fresh new scooter already booked for a different customer and was in the basement parking of the building down the slippery slope leading to the basement. Otherwise everything else went smoothly.

Coming to my scooter, I've ridden it for about 150KM in the last week within the city of Bangalore and there are a few observations I have made:

Suspension: The front is much worse than the back like by a long shot, too much damping and little compression or rebound also felt as hard hits over minor bumps at any speed, to the point where I thought it had not enough shock oil. Funnily, the rear, I like it quite a bit, going against all odds. It is a little stiff when I ride solo but with a pillion it is very confidence inspiring that being said I do like stiffer suspension in general because most of my previous vehicles (I've owned 10 previously, only telling for perception).

Side Stand: That spring is weak but this nothing new and has still not been fixed. Luckily the main stand is very easy in operation.

Front Apron and My Height: I am a tall person at 6'2" and to my delightful surprise, the scooter is very comfortable other than one thing that I will come to later. Even after being stuck in Bangalore traffic for 3 hours and 70KM at a stretch I was not feeling sore or numb anywhere especially in my knees as they actually never came in contact with front apron. On a side note, even though I wear size 12 boots, I found enough space for my feet and the center channel is nice place for my boots to rest against while leaning, of course it ain't nothing like hugging a tank on a motorcycle but it is certainly leans more towards that and away from a traditional scooter chassis.

Seat: I slipped off it before I had even left the showroom. Had gotten that optional seat cover and found it was stapled instead of being tied to the seat.
And also, why do they have apply polishing compound to the seat and the brake disk. I had to do a few hard stops to get the brake to engage properly while sliding off the seat every time, it was awkward. It has become less slippery over the last few days.

Things I am yet to know more about:

Gas Mileage: Haven't yet emptied the first full tank so I am yet to know soon. Do not trust the app, I find all the Bluetooth features to be useless. The showroom made me install the app even though I had no plans of doing so, oh well. At least I have not had any battery drain issues as I ride the scooter regularly.

Headlight efficiency: Haven't ridden when it is really dark, so that is still pending.

Things I plan to do the scooter:

PPF: I really need to find a nice place to get the scooter destickered and PPF applied after the first service.

Suspension Work: Need to sort out that front suspension really soon, the rear can hang around for some more time.

Disc Brake Pads: Vesrah Ceramic Brake pads is what I have used on all my two wheelers with discs and they improve feel and bite is what I have always felt.

Iridium Spark Plugs: The original NGK plugs even though they cost a little more, again from past experience with my previous vehicle they have a good impact on rideability but that I found to differ from vehicle to vehicle so I will be interested to know what it does to an Aerox.

Air Filter: Maybe I will change it to a BMC drop in replacement, not still sure.

Tuning: After a few thousand KM of riding, I do plan on getting the scooter tuned but no engine work in the pipeline, I think.

Seat: Plan to get a custom seat for more touring comfort as I do plan for long days of riding.

Many other ideas exist but those I might plan for later on, I find the idea mentioned above more necessary for me and hence they will take priority.

Looking forward to a long journey with the scooter, both literally and figuratively.

Cheers, everyone.
Have a good day.
Riroox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 19:32   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riroox View Post
Hello, Everyone.

Just bought an Aerox last week, in the MotoGP edition colorway mainly because I wanted an all black Aerox
Cheers, everyone.
Have a good day.
Please do post the pictures of your Aerox . Wishing you happy miles and smiles.
Old 26th December 2023, 21:12   #328
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5675963 (Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue)

Following up on this. Accident on Dec 3, placed order for the left side panel an hour later on the same day, and it still hasn't arrived yet!!!

I've been following up daily with the SC, and they routinely stop picking up the phone. On the instances they do, they reiterate that they have placed the order and it's out of their control now. Now, on December 26, they inform that Yamaha is closed from Dec 21 to Jan 2 (?!), so now the latest that it can arrive is Jan 2. Honestly, although I sympathize with the humans manning the desk, I can no longer figure out whether they are bluffing, or whatever else is happening with Yamaha's after-service.

Beyond that, I've gotten my third service done at about 3400kms on Dec 19. The bill was ₹550.

Separately, I ordered a few parts from outside the SC. I bought the housing for the headlight (₹450; it broke at two spots and had become unreliable for the long term) and stock air filter cover (₹500; deep scratches, very unsightly) from a third-party repair person in Mumbai. I had reached out to him for the left side panel, but even he couldn't get it arranged. I got these parts instead since they had also been damaged/deep-scratched and needed replacement.

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-img_6042.jpg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-img_6043.jpg

I had also bought a bigger front brake disc, which had arrived (₹5200 + ₹200 shipping). So got these three parts installed for ₹600 from the same person. All the front panels were removed and refitted, and the brake pads were cleaned, too.

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-img_6045.jpg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-3c0a6545a0c949f599419df7118666d6.jpg

The stock Aerox front disc is 230mm, I believe, while this one is 265mm. This should hopefully help improve the bite of the front disc and give better stopping confidence at speeds above 60kmph.

However, something I don't see a lot of people mention is that changing the front disc requires a ~50-100km run-in period. During this period (i.e. immediately after the installation of new brake disc), there is practically no stopping power. The bike takes 3-5 business days to stop even when you jam down the front brakes

The front brakes started off at about 10% braking power, and gradually, I feel it is now at about 25% run-in. It's still nowhere near confidence-inducing, and I am strictly within 50kmph with adequate gaps since it's all rear brake for now. I hoped to have known this before going ahead with the upgrade, but oh well, maybe it helps someone else on the internet. I'll report back once I get the panel and when the brakes have run in.
quicksilver101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 22:48   #329
BHPian

Quote:
The front brakes started off at about 10% braking power, and gradually, I feel it is now at about 25% run-in. It's still nowhere near confidence-inducing, and I am strictly within 50kmph with adequate gaps since it's all rear brake for now. I hoped to have known this before going ahead with the upgrade, but oh well, maybe it helps someone else on the internet. I'll report back once I get the panel and when the brakes have run in.
Being a single pot setup, the bigger disc alone might not be enough for a significant improvement in bite. If you haven't changed the pads, it makes sense to try out more aggressive pads as next step. That said, you might need a caliper and master cylinder upgrade to get what you are looking for .
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 16:42   #330
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5675963 (Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue)

Following up on this. Accident on Dec 3, placed order for the left side panel an hour later on the same day, and it still hasn't arrived yet!!!

I've been following up daily with the SC, and they routinely stop picking up the phone. On the instances they do, they reiterate that they have placed the order and it's out of their control now. Now, on December 26, they inform that Yamaha is closed from Dec 21 to Jan 2 (?!), so now the latest that it can arrive is Jan 2. Honestly, although I sympathize with the humans manning the desk, I can no longer figure out whether they are bluffing, or whatever else is happening with Yamaha's after-service.
I did not expect them to, but they called up today to say that the panel has arrived. I went and got it installed. Total cost ₹785 for the panel, ₹185 for installation labor charges.

The brakes have also improved. Bite is about ~50% of stock. Hoping to go past 100% of stock in the coming weeks as I continue using them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks