Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2022, 16:57   #1
BHPian

HMSI refusing to sell oil filter outside ASC

I have been following this particular YouTube Channel for a while now and I find a lot of his videos quite genuine and helpful as an enthusiast.

Being an owner of Honda XBlade, I am well aware with lack of availability of parts for some of the less selling Honda Motorcycles (anything that isn't an Activa, Shine or Unicorn).

I have had such a similar experience with my friend's 2021 Activa 125 BS6 when his kid brother accidentally broke the left mirror in parking. We scouted around the city with Honda Retailers (some of the biggest suppliers who have been known to stock spares which are impossible to find), only to find that the spares aren't available for the scooter outside ASC.

We had to place an order with SGBL Honda, Cuttack who procured the Mirror for our Scooter.

As can be seen in the video, the person clearly explains that he is not able to find the Oil Filter for a Honda Livo 110cc, BS6 outside an ASC and he is informed repeatedly that the spare is "not in stock" which seems typical when they are not willing to sell the part when you are not servicing the motorcycle with them.

We have the liberty to buy the motorcycle, change oil, refil petrol or even retrofit tyres and accessories from outside, then why such a hostile attempt at monopolising the spares market for something like an "oil filter".

Honda is already playing a losing game and to a point where they are not selling anything other than Activa's. Yes, indeed. The Showroom's here are stopped ordering any inventory for anything other than the Scooter because of the fear of losing out on sales.

And now HMSI has to stoop to a new low where they won't make the parts available outside ASC. Guess what? If someone isn't satisfied with the ASC servicing, they reserve the right to service their bikes from outside.

This situation reminds me on a time when I used to hear about Honda Cars India not selling their parts for Brio and Amaze outside their service centres.

Would love to hear if anyone has had such an experience.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th March 2022 at 12:24. Reason: Please proof read your post before submitting it. Thanks.
Bismaya is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:13   #2
BANNED

Re: HMSI refusing to sell oil filter outside ASC

Here in Bangalore they do sell spares, at least for stuff like activa, aviator parts. They all first insist on getting it service with a ASC but I didn't budge. Hell I could even manage to get service manuals from them.

Last edited by aim120 : 11th March 2022 at 18:15.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the part number and order it from the numerous Honda spare resellers in Bangalore.

This shop in Bangalore can get one any part of any of the main stream scooters or bikes within a day or two if he does not have in stock. Bajaj, Honda, Suzuki, RE, TVS, Yamaha etc

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E...2!4d77.5443448
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 18:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Get the part number and order it from the numerous Honda spare resellers in Bangalore.

This shop in Bangalore can get one any part of any of the main stream scooters or bikes within a day or two if he does not have in stock. Bajaj, Honda, Suzuki, RE, TVS, Yamaha etc

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E...2!4d77.5443448
While that's a good solution but the point here is about accessibility. Not everyone has access or contacts like enthusiasts here. A common man expects to get find his required spare with his trusted nearby seller. Such people won't order from Bangalore because they need a small oil filter.

I need a spare for my bike. Had I not known about the contact above or TBHP in general, I would be stuck without the part because unless I agree to service my bike at Honda ASC and a pay premium for labour charges and servicing, I wouldn't be able to get the part. This is an issue which can be easily solved if the spare part was accessible. I would just get my trusty mechanic to service and for a much affordable rate.

The point here is about monopoly over spare parts, not finding a work around that's subject to constraints and factors.

Last edited by Bismaya : 11th March 2022 at 18:57.
Bismaya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 20:58   #5
BHPian

If I'm not wrong Honda has some spare parts dealers, which sell all parts in retail, similar to MGP outlets.

For me, since I own a Hero Maestro, I have the flexibility of using either a Honda or a Hero part, and most of the time, I've been using Honda parts since Hero spare parts dealer isn't interested in selling small parts. I buy them off the HASS or Honda spares outlet.

Here's the link to find the parts outlet.

https://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/...k/partsLocator

-Abhishek
abhi9044 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 21:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
...only to find that the spares aren't available for the scooter outside ASC.
For my Honda car, one of the headlight bulb had fused and I replaced it with a spare bulb provided with the car.

When I went to buy the spare bulb from the Honda ASC, they said they will provide the bulb but it will be sold with labor (fitting) charges!
Sounded so illogical Why would the ASC want to charge for labor of fitting the bulb where I have already done the fitting I just wanted to replenish my spare bulb.

Neverthless, I just ordered one online from amazon for 1/3rd the ASC price.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 11th March 2022 at 21:41.
Old 11th March 2022, 22:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
If I'm not wrong Honda has some spare parts dealers, which sell all parts in retail, similar to MGP outlets.

For me, since I own a Hero Maestro, I have the flexibility of using either a Honda or a Hero part, and most of the time, I've been using Honda parts since Hero spare parts dealer isn't interested in selling small parts. I buy them off the HASS or Honda spares outlet.

Here's the link to find the parts outlet.

https://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/...k/partsLocator

-Abhishek
The interchangability of parts is useful in some sitatuons. My cousin's Hunk uses some of the Unicorn parts with huge success. Similarly, I use some of the Shine brake parts in my Splendor Pro which actually work better than Hero's parts.

Also, the parts locator in my city links to Honda ASC's only. Both of them didn't even have the Activa 125 Mirrors.
Attached Images

Old 11th March 2022, 22:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We had to place an order with SGBL Honda, Cuttack who procured the Mirror for our Scooter.

Faced this same b.s attitude from VFM Honda!

I was ready to give them the bike's chassis number and bike's number to sell me the part but this was not enough. They just refused to sell me any part and wanted me to bring the bike in for any part replacement and insisted that they would do it for me.

This is the reply VFM Honda Bangalore gave me when I wanted to buy parts for a CB350 This reply was given to me by one of their top management guys.

Quote:
not sure what the issue is here. We do not sell spares individually as these are OEM parts and need to be installed by a certified Honda technician. Making duplicates is not a concern as you can very well do that after install as well.

Please feel free to email me about any other further

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi9044 View Post
Only for Name sake! They don't have anything in stock and they don't like to entertain end users like us.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th March 2022 at 10:30. Reason: Spacing between paragraphs. Thanks.
Captain Slow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:09   #9
BHPian

4-5 years back, our Activa had a rear indicator lens cracked. ASC guys failed to source it. After this, the front headlight housing, and the panel which holds the numberplate developed broken mounts. We placed an order, and again the ASC guys failed to procure the parts we needed. We finally sourced these parts from some outside vendor.

Our Activa is of 2011 make. So from our experience, even popular models like the Activa don't have certain certain spares in stock.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While that's a good solution but the point here is about accessibility. Not everyone has access or contacts like enthusiasts here. A common man expects to get find his required spare with his trusted nearby seller. Such people won't order from Bangalore because they need a small oil filter.
I understand your view point. What I wanted to covey is that, every big city will have certain shops who can arrange parts for all major commuter brands. Your city also might have. You may have to look around a bit. Check with local mechanics who service bikes. They will be able to guide you to such shops.

If none of that works then tough luck. Maybe, these are the hardships that enthusiasts in smaller cities face
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:03   #11
BHPian

Here in Kerala (Aluva), things are different with my CBR parts. They do arrange almost all parts but with lead times which are greater than minimum of 2 weeks. They also not insist to get it serviced with them due to lack of CBR's trained technician. But it is almost ignorant attitude towards CBR's spares as basic consumables such as filters, brake pads replacement should be planned properly and ordered well in advance. May be that's how it works with discontinued bikes.
5252rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Remember some years ago that Hyundai India was refusing to sell spare parts OTC (over the counter) and they were referred to Competition Commission of India in a legal case. They were forcing customers to bring their vehicles to ASC for parts to be fitted. It has now been solved is what I heard. Guess Honda also needs to be taught a lesson?
wheeledwanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:21   #13
BHPian

What you have observed is the surface of a very large scam run by every OEM in India.
Due to lack of regulation, the OEMs are free to dictate the terms when it comes to selling spares for their products to end customers. Some dealers are open, some do not want to sell spares. The final attitude is a mix of OEM+dealer attitude.

Maruti Suzuki, Tata spares and Toyota spares are easy to find, I am told.

The Competition Commission of India should rise up and force them to sell these spares on the open market. In the US, not only are they legally obliged to provide spares, the companies can also be sued if they don't provide the necessary special tools and documentation required to service their vehicle.

I have fortunately not faced any issues with Kawasaki India for my ER-6n, they sell me spares over the counter and even courier them to my city. However I suspect this is more out of compulsion than desire, for not selling an oil filter to a customer 250+km away from you means you need to go to them to service their vehicle.
Old 13th March 2022, 16:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledwanderer View Post
Remember some years ago that Hyundai India was refusing to sell spare parts OTC (over the counter) and they were referred to Competition Commission of India in a legal case. They were forcing customers to bring their vehicles to ASC for parts to be fitted. It has now been solved is what I heard. Guess Honda also needs to be taught a lesson?
Sadly, it is the same situation across brands. I have had similar experiences when trying to buy genuine Hyundai parts for my 2017 1st generation pre-facelifted Creta petrol 1.6 AT. All of the Hyundai ASCs that I contacted refused to sell me the required parts unless I got my car serviced by them and this was in the metropolitan city of Kolkata as recently as 2020 after the end of the free services. Later I had to procure them online from an aftermarket reseller.

About the CCI case, I can vouch for the fact that sadly, Hyundai is yet to be "taught a lesson" because the honorable Supreme Court of India has stayed the INR 420.26 Crore fine imposed on Hyundai India by the CCI and you can verify this in chronological order in the links below :-

1) https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...icCAoaZEM.html

2) https://www.livemint.com/Companies/Z...n-Hyundai.html
Chhanda Das is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 17:07   #15
BHPian

Tough luck!

But it's largely similar for most brands for reasons already mentioned above by other folk.

Most spares for the "common junta" are procured through 3rd party vendors/mechanic's contacts outside the SVC.
You'd never hear issues like this for Splendors/Pulsar 150s/Shines etc, but issues galore for a Karizma/Pulsar 220/Hornets and CBRs.

This is largely because of limited demand and monopoly/scam like nature of OEMs.
Since these vehicles are usually purchased by people who are somewhat observant/aware/labelled as enthusiasts, they often bear the brunt and have to go the extra step in order to keep their vehicles in a good condition.

One must then be open to either visit another city closeby (like Bhubaneswar in your case) or order spares from metros and bigger cities online/via phone, especially now that you have the contacts shared in this thread.

You can also share the list with people in your friends' circle and alleviate their concerns.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks