Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2022, 17:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Twinner name trademarked for a possible 2-cylinder model

Bajaj Auto has filed a trademark for the 'Twinner' name tag, which has led to speculations that it could be used for a possible future twin-cylinder model.

Bajaj Twinner name trademarked for a possible 2-cylinder model-bajajtwinnertrademark.jpg

It is said that Bajaj could either be plotting a new model or an update for the Dominar 400. If the latter is true, then the bike could get an upgraded engine.

It has also been speculated that Bajaj could be working on a Scrambler or neo-retro styled bike, possibly based on the KTM 490's platform.

It's quite common for automakers to trademark names well in advance. However, we can never be certain about the name being used on a future product.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th January 2022 at 17:55.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 17:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Twinner name trademarked for a possible 2-cylinder model

Mr.Bajaj did confirm in an interview that they are working on a new ICE engine (their last) and I would think it would be new ~500cc twin. It would do wonders to Dominar, Pulsar and even the Avenger range. Obviously this will be shared with KTM and assume we will see a range of KTMs sporting this as well. Honestly, think it is the right strategy if Dominar and bigger pulsars has to gain traction in a field dominated by RE.
rohing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Being a Dominar owner, I can confidently say that this bike will succeed in the market if Bajaj can improve on the below technical and marketing niggles

1. Vibrations above certain range (this just needs good quality rubber packing to multiple places where vibration is generated. Currently they are managing vibrations with after thought rubber pieces being stuck at various HMI points(Human machine interface points)

2. Engine refinement. They are doing good in this area when compared to "elephants" but 500cc and more will always be compared with Hondas and Kawasakis. Hence 100% more refinement is expected in engine.

3. Significant cost benefit compared to Interceptor (am not comparing with Honda and Kawasakis assuming they will anyways be cheaper than these)

4. Don't ever repeat the mistake of comparison and bad mouthing elephants. (Especially 650 cc elephants)

5. Don't say it is another bigger Dominar but market it fresh new beast.

If these are taken care, Bajaj can easily win the Market share in this segment.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:42   #4
BHPian

Learning from the past, can I assume that this will be a twin-spark plug, tuned down version of the KTM's 490CC twin?

The KTM's 490 itself is a scaled down version of the KTM's 790 twin. It would interesting to see a twin cylinder Bajaj Dominor/Pulsar.

Bajaj should put this in the Avenger as well. It would make a good powerful cruiser.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Learning from the past, can I assume that this will be a twin-spark plug, tuned down version of the KTM's 490CC twin?

The KTM's 490 itself is a scaled down version of the KTM's 790 twin. It would interesting to see a twin cylinder Bajaj Dominor/Pulsar.

Bajaj should put this in the Avenger as well. It would make a good powerful cruiser.
This seems it. Going by how Bajaj makes their flagships, this is exactly how I expect them to make their moves. I thought they'd make a faired sports bike outta this. But the name sounds so cheesy for one. Maybe its for something with the ability to eat miles for lunch. Just be a tireless mile muncher.

A faired sportsbike wouldn't hurt though. Maybe KTM will get rid of that itch for us.
saitvsk23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 22:06   #6

Bajaj exports almost 50% of all their bikes produced in India under the Bajaj line. Although licensing agreements have been a huge turnaround for Bajaj, I believe the company does not want to stray far off course of their main line ups else they may get known for only facilitating New entrants, and there is always a risk of exit or eventual manufacturing for these outside firms. KTM, Husqvarna and upcoming Triumph partnerships are going to go great, no doubt but I think Bajaj's long game here if all about technology transfer, in an informal way, if at all. They did this in the Dominar 400, with a retuned engine of the Duke 390. Their new 250 CC engines seen in the new Pulsars 250 are completely inhouse developed. However, I would not be surprised if Bajaj used what they learned from manufacturing the KTM 250 CC engines.

I think, the same is applicable here in the 500 CC engine. The long dream of distancing themselves from the household brand name (where margins are almost recovered post sales now), the real market is the Top end or Enthusiast bikes, that is why you don't see Bajaj branding on the Dominar. It was the 1st in the segment. I believe Bajaj had consulted with a reputed Marketing firm to launch the Dominar. I forget the name, however they are in the leagues of Ogilvy.

The Dominar was also pitted against RE. A bold and risky move, however there are no offerings to compete with Continental. Bajaj has only the 373 CC Dominar vs the entire RE lineup. A war which they called for in their own marketing.

Also, in the South East Asian countries, Dominar is seen as an entry level Tourer. Since they have some fantastic roads, the pull is more towards, 500 CC and above. In the VFM segment, Bajaj can rule. It always has. The legacy of Pulsars and the fan following for the Dominar are testament.

If there is a twin cylinder in the making, I think Bajaj would more likely put it out under the Dominar lineup, as it is their Flagship bike. Plus Pulsar branding is not suitable for the 500 CC tag. It's tough in my opinion to consider a 500 CC pulsar. It either has to be a new lineup (Scrambler of sorts, competing vs Continental)

Or a decked our version of the Dominar could be in the making. 2024-25 would be my optimistic bet. Pricing around 3.0L would be sweet, however I feel Bajaj will go for a premium this time and squeeze 20k at least. I remember Dominar prices were dropped due to similar pricing mishaps where initially it was priced in with a premium.

However, not all Registered names ever see the light of day and Bajaj also has to consider the investments in the EV line. We can also see its registered under all categories, which muddies the waters a bit for speculators like me.

One can only cross their fingers and hope for a something exciting to happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks