Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How do you approach your motorcycle tyre change?
As a pair ONLY? 32 25.60%
Two rear tyres for one front - but only with the exact same replacement? 4 3.20%
Two rear tyres for one front? 6 4.80%
Both adhoc based on perceived wear and tear? 83 66.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 22:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?

While in most cases the front tire will last almost 2x more than the rear tire, it will depend on easily availability of the brand and size which is already on the bike.
Much like a car where is not advisable to put different brand of tires, same criteria can be applied to bikes as well.
For my CBR 650 I am planning to now change both the front and rear tires simultaneously as its the first time and OEM Dunlop's are OK to say the least. Post that will stick to change depending on the wear and tear in future, provided the Brand and make is available.
Jesse_Mach is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 23:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:45   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Past 25,000 kms keep an eye on the braking performance also
Agree with you @vrprabhu. I suffered three near misses(due to poor grip on the rear tyre) in emergency braking at 35kmph and this prompted me to replace the rear tyre on my Suzuki Access yesterday. Odo was 29,200km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I always replace my rear tyre around 25-30k km; always replace tyre and tube together, opt for the same brand tyres for both the wheels.
Absolutely agree with you, @Gansan. My experience with gear less scooters till date :

1. Kinetic Nova 135 - replaced the stock CEAT rear (tyre and tube) with a TVS tyre-tube at 19,000km. The tube had developed a cut due to a nail and I found the tyre tread left was just 10%. So replaced both the tyre and tube.

2. Suzuki Access 125 Vehicle1 - replaced stock MRF with Michelin City Pro at approx 19,000km. Same observations as in S.No.1. Post replacement, I was very disappointed with the vehicle's handling with the rear City Pro.

3. Suzuki Access 125 Vehicle 2 - replaced stock MRF with Metro Conti Invicta at 29,200 km. Here, I first got the rear tube changed in an emergency at a roadside shop, and then got a Metro Conti tyre-tube combo from a tyre store. The first tube was an unnecessary expense. The vehicle behaves so much better with the new rear tyre. I'll be getting the front tyre-tube changed soon despite it having enough juice.

Here is what I'd recommend:

1. Keep a watch on the tyres' sidewall, tread condition, and braking. Bumpiness, slight wobble at above 35kmph and poor braking are tell tale signs of deterioration in tyres.
2. Change tyres in pairs at no more than 7 years even if the tread is good. Scooter tyres rubber hardens in 5 years. That's about all quality one gets in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
My TVS Zest 110cc front tyre is 90/100-10 while rear tyre is 90/90-10
I'm not sure if the Zest rear stock size is 90 90 10. Please verify with the owner's manual. If it is indeed the case, please stick to stock size.The 90 100 10 is approx 0.7mm more in dia which is approx 4% higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_partha View Post
Need guidance for replacing tires for my TVS Jupiter
You could just go with TVS, or try Metro Conti. I wouldn't recommend Michelin.

Last edited by vigsom : 21st January 2022 at 09:47.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Can you expand on some of these ifs and buts please?

Obviously any manufacturer would prefer that you buy two tyres of his and not one, so let's keep any manufacturer linked recommendations aside.

Any objective unbiased neutral sources?
1. Lets say you have put in a different brand tyre where the front has more property of channeling water when you are riding in the rain and the rear does not have the same property and you are going through a patch of water, it can majorly unsettle your bike
2. Lets say we are at a racetrack with two different branded tyres and the front takes that wee bit more to come upto temps or it does not hold its temp for that long lets say, and by the feel of your rear tyre you try and carry the brakes into the corner, the front will wash out
3. I would still say for dirt riding you can mix and match as the terrain is always varying. I think you have posted a video as well which i saw too otherwise. Mostly on offroad tyres.
4. Manufacturers recommendations this way is correct and they would have anyways made more money i think if you could mix and match tyres from those single piece sales.

Hope the explanation helps. Cheers.
jackofsome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 13:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
On Jupiter purely ad hoc as it is used for low speed city errands. Rear is second unit, front is still factory oem all in about 8y/11k kms Suboptimal tread and bad tires can cost life or lead to expensive damages, so, I keep a keen eye and ensure not to go bald or hard with tires.

Cheers,
BJ
Sir, if you have not yet changed the front tyre on your Jupiter, I request you to please replace it at earliest. The tyre may show enough tread on it, but the rubber has become quite hard and will offer next to no grip on wet road. Please change it as crash on scooter as low as city speeds, is dangerous. I have faced situation where the front tyre of my scooter just skid off on the wet road and gave me few scary moments. I didn't fall down but that was scary enough for me to replace the front tyre the same day.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 14:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
1. Lets say you have put in a different brand tyre where the front has more property of channeling water when you are riding in the rain and the rear does not have the same property and you are going through a patch of water, it can majorly unsettle your bike
2. Lets say we are at a racetrack with two different branded tyres and the front takes that wee bit more to come upto temps or it does not hold its temp for that long lets say, and by the feel of your rear tyre you try and carry the brakes into the corner, the front will wash out
3. I would still say for dirt riding you can mix and match as the terrain is always varying. I think you have posted a video as well which i saw too otherwise. Mostly on offroad tyres.
4. Manufacturers recommendations this way is correct and they would have anyways made more money i think if you could mix and match tyres from those single piece sales.

Hope the explanation helps. Cheers.
You are assuming that I have

- put on mismatched water channeling tyres

- put on mismatched rubber when it comes to coming up to operating temperature

It is very possible to put on tyres of different manufacturers that match both of these very well.

Why should I still stick to buying tyres as a set. When I want to mix and match for whatever reason (availability, cost, look, tread, wear).

That was my question.

Please note that motorcyclists and cyclists have been racing on mismatched rubber for over a century.

This matching thing is a new fad. Pushed by industry. Whenever and wherever money is involved, bias is present. Which is why I asked for any neutral objective evidence based scientific source for this myth.

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd January 2022 at 14:41.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
These are the exact reason why I mix match tyres. Different manufacturer have different rubbers and pattern; and most street tyres at least from domestic manufacturers are compromise.

The rear tyre of model X which offers generally good life and traction is not good enough to lemme ride aggressively. I generally put in font a tyre which have much aggressive pattern/softer rubber compared to rear. This practice also generally leads to tyres getting exhausted at similar pace.

Even in MotoGP it's common that riders use different combination of tyres on track; which play a crucial role in their position. Soft, Medium rarely Hard but they play all kind of permutations and combinations with material.

For an average Joe along as they are not mixing and matching slick and a motocross tyre they should be okey.

Others who are mixing and matching to get better of their machines are generally experienced enough to make a sensible match.
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarkhan View Post
These are the exact reason why I mix match tyres. Different manufacturer have different rubbers and pattern; and most street tyres at least from domestic manufacturers are compromise.

The rear tyre of model X which offers generally good life and traction is not good enough to lemme ride aggressively. I generally put in font a tyre which have much aggressive pattern/softer rubber compared to rear. This practice also generally leads to tyres getting exhausted at similar pace.

Even in MotoGP it's common that riders use different combination of tyres on track; which play a crucial role in their position. Soft, Medium rarely Hard but they play all kind of permutations and combinations with material.

For an average Joe along as they are not mixing and matching slick and a motocross tyre they should be okey.

Others who are mixing and matching to get better of their machines are generally experienced enough to make a sensible match.
For MotoGP slightly disagree. The materials or construction are the same. What is different is how much will they last and hence the grip. They will never race with a Dunlop front and a Michelin rear.

But we all use SCO to SC2 slicks from Pirelli. Thats not really mixing and matching of brands.

Similarly unlike what we think different tyres from manufacturers are vastly different in their mediums, construction and tech. Its difficult to research so much info and put tyres for sunday morning coffee for most superbikers.
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another old school trick is to use a tyre marked for rear use only by the manufacturer on the front (mainly for size and tread type) and flip it around for the direction of travel (the arrow for rotation direction now points away from the direction of travel).

The Michelin Sirac Street on my Duke 390 front is an example.

When we shifted it to my son's Pulsar rear, we flipped it back so that the arrow now pointed properly to the direction of rotation.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd January 2022 at 19:35.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
For MotoGP slightly disagree. The materials or construction are the same. What is different is how much will they last and hence the grip. They will never race with a Dunlop front and a Michelin rear.

But we all use SCO to SC2 slicks from Pirelli. Thats not really mixing and matching of brands.
Michelin is the provider of all tyres to all riders , and there symmetrical ,asymmetrical tyres etc that's an entire different discussion. Just used as an example you can read a little more here. https://www.boxrepsol.com/en/motogp-...-motogp-tyres/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Michelin Sirac Street on my Duke 390 front is an example.
When we shifted it to my son's Pulsar rear, we flipped it back so that the arrow now pointed properly to the direction of rotation.
Were you using 100 or 110 cross section tyre ? Was your pulsar a ug3 150 or older model ? correct me if I am wrong , but at-least in one motorcycle you were not running stock tyre size. (not commenting if it is good or bad )
Old 23rd January 2022, 20:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Were you using 100 or 110 cross section tyre ? Was your pulsar a ug3 150 or older model ? correct me if I am wrong , but at-least in one motorcycle you were not running stock tyre size. (not commenting if it is good or bad )
Yup. Both non stock sizes on the Duke for the mountains. Sirac Street for the front and Vertigo Sport for the rear. 100 (or was it 90?) and 120 sectionals I recall.

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161001_094440.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161017_095521.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161017_095548.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161017_095612.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161019_075050.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161014_132224.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161015_114516.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161017_153755.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161018_121754.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161020_105629.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161022_123217.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161027_212825.jpg

Motorcycle Tyres: Replace both as a pair or adhoc based on usage?-img_20161027_212924.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd January 2022 at 20:29.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks