Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2023, 22:56   #346
BHPian

re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Is this a good choice (being a brand new RE model, infamous for niggles and issues) and how practical for daily use?
How manageable this is with its height, weight etc. as single bike?
It is a purpose built adventure tourer motorcycle but as they say, any motorcycle can be used for any task. Comfort levels will vary. You will be extremely comfortable on bad roads be it potholes, undulations or speed breakers. But you will have to live with the 196kg weight and heat that a liquid cooled 450cc engine will generate in day to day traffic.

Quote:
I am really liking the design, the power and my only concern is the refinement which usually lacks in REs.
RE has gone miles ahead in the quality levels with the 650 twins and the recently launched J series based models. Vibrations are minimal and so called niggles are also much lesser.
So let's hope they tread the same path with the Himalayan 450 which is a very important product for RE also.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 18:34   #347

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screenshot-20231018-6.26.34-pm.png

5k rpm at 100 kmph.
Fuel range of 630 kms with 3 out of 4 bars filled looks very promising
jlukose is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 19:09   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukose View Post

5k rpm at 100 kmph.
That looks like the odo at 630 kms. Highly doubt if it is range.
tharian is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 00:25   #349
BHPian

Quote:
5k rpm at 100 kmph.
This display mode provides the following information :-
  • Tachometer: 5100 rpm
  • Fuel gauge : 3/4
  • Clock 7:29 am
  • Gear position : 6th
  • Speed : 104 kmph
  • Odo reading : 630 km
With a 17 litre tank and average fuel consumption of even 30 Kmpl, the tank range would not be more than 450 kms if usable fuel is 15 litres.

One good news is that the instrument console till now has shown three display modes. Apart from the one referred to in this post, two others along with details can be seen in post numbers #283 and #294 of this thread.

Last edited by aviator1101 : 19th October 2023 at 00:30. Reason: Adding content
aviator1101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 01:29   #350
BHPian

Quote:
5k rpm at 100 kmph.
I'm pretty sure it will be a slightly lower RPM to hit 100kmph at sea level. This video was shot in Ladakh.

Looking at Scram 400x reviews, I feel that if RE can get the pricing right (2.8L for the base variant), this will be a no-brainer for most people that want a jack-of-all trades motorcycle at this price point.
Proxima is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 02:04   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I'm pretty sure it will be a slightly lower RPM to hit 100kmph at sea level. This video was shot in Ladakh.

The RPM to wheel speed ratio will not change whether the vehicle is high up in the mountains or at sea level.
What changes is the throttle input required to attain the specific rpm.
kosjam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 09:30   #352

Thank you for the correction, @tharian. Another noticeable feature is the small circle located in the upper right corner of the speedometer, which appears to be an indicator for cruise control.
Old 19th October 2023, 10:41   #353
BHPian

Somehow with all the electronics on offer for this, it's starting to look like a mini-Tenere 700. I'm genuinely finding it hard to believe that a bike with switchable ABS, a TFT display, navigation with a full map (not just turn-by-turn), switchable traction control, Bluetooth connectivity built into the same console, phone chargers, Showa suspension, built like a tank, and so on will be priced at 2.7 L ex-showroom. The only thing missing from the KTM Adv 390 here is a quickshifter, and if you compare it to the SW version it's cornering ABS and related tech. All of this stuff has to cost, and if it's all options and Itchy Boots is on a full-spec bike, it can't be much below the current alloy wheel 390 Adv. I'd put it at an easy 3 L ex-showroom or so.
AulusGabinius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:03   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
Somehow with all the electronics on offer for this, it's starting to look like a mini-Tenere 700. I'm genuinely finding it hard to believe that a bike with switchable ABS, a TFT display, navigation with a full map (not just turn-by-turn), switchable traction control, Bluetooth connectivity built into the same console, phone chargers, Showa suspension, built like a tank, and so on will be priced at 2.7 L ex-showroom. The only thing missing from the KTM Adv 390 here is a quickshifter, and if you compare it to the SW version it's cornering ABS and related tech. All of this stuff has to cost, and if it's all options and Itchy Boots is on a full-spec bike, it can't be much below the current alloy wheel 390 Adv. I'd put it at an easy 3 L ex-showroom or so.
The basic variant will start from 2.7L - as you suggested. All the other bells and whistles will jack up the price. Remember the recently launched TVS RTR 310 and fully loaded variant was well and above 3L.
atluri_rkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:21   #355
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post

We can't say for sure that the bike is built like a tank, There is no video of any durability tests being done in factory, despite earning humungous profits in the last decade they don't even have a proper durability testing facility in their factories. Even Hero's Vida electric scooter underwent through rigorous durability tests.

So, there is a chance that RE did not spend any significant R&D amount into making it rugged. These savings in R&D could actually keep the price low.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-annotation-20231019-111448.png

This is the image of Himalayan 450 after a crash and apparently this crash happened this year when the tester was trying to push the bike and ride it hard (The video of the tester riding the bike in Chennai the same day the crash happened was available in twitter, now could not find it).

It appears that the cone set joint in the chassis/frame has cracked and handle bar is entirely dislocated and also if a tester crashed while pushing the bike, it simply shows the bike's poor handling.

And reaching out to noraly aka Itchy boots for influencer marketing before anything else, just confirms this even more.
tarmacnaut is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 11:53   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
So, there is a chance that RE did not spend any significant R&D amount into making it rugged. These savings in R&D could actually keep the price low.
I was really hoping that RE would have upped the launch game after the issues with the original Himalayan and the early days with the 650s (no mechanical issues, but electronics were, if I'm not wrong). The J-series and the SM650 launches seemed to confirm that, but now I'm wondering if we're back to square one.
Old 19th October 2023, 12:34   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Just a doubt, from the above pics, how can we say that the quality is not good?

Are we aware of the speed or how immense was the impact? Just from a pic can we derive something?
DrvSafe is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 13:35   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post

Are we aware of the speed or how immense was the impact? Just from a pic can we derive something?
I agree with you.

Not knowing the background of the accident and outrightly inferring that the quality is not upto the mark or adequate R&D has not been done is a bit too harsh.

RE is bringing features in the 450 which are useful to any person likely to put it to meaningful use, no unnecessarily bells and whistles just for the sake of it.

Already read somewhere that TVS's hot and cold seat has compromised on the seating comfort, efficacy aside which is yet to be tested in real life conditions.

We must give it to RE where it's due. They have upped the levels to a great extent and would surely not want to tarnish their image by bringing some substandard product again.
aviator1101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 14:51   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
Quote:
Like I said, there is a 'chance'. I am not ascertaining this. There is also a chance, this is not true and significant R&D was done.

Given the frame breaking fiasco of the earlier Himalayan, I think there is nothing wrong to have some doubts. If RE had come up with any video/content showcasing that they used state of the art testing to test the new 450's durability, there will be no doubt.

If RE comes up with some assurance on durability in future, It will be good for the buyers and I will more than agree.

These days, even scooter manufacturers are being really proactive and vocal. Example, OLA Electric Scooters had their suspension broken, to beat this perception on e-scooters, Hero Electric showcased their state of art testing facility and how many scooters were actually tested, to prove their scooters durability. Now, OLA has fixed this and showcasing its durability through their channels.

So, my expectation was on those lines, as their previous Himalayans had chassis durability issues.
Old 19th October 2023, 16:10   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We can't say for sure that the bike is built like a tank, There is no video of any durability tests being done in factory, despite earning humungous profits in the last decade they don't even have a proper durability testing facility in their factories. Even Hero's Vida electric scooter underwent through rigorous durability tests.

Im all for TBHP being a platform for enthusiasts to share their perspectives, different as they may be, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how you did 1+2 = 956,269,271,961,421.0009 here. This is comical supposition at its very best.

Quote:
This is the image of Himalayan 450 after a crash and apparently this crash happened this year when the tester was trying to push the bike and ride it hard (The video of the tester riding the bike in Chennai the same day the crash happened was available in twitter, now could not find it).

It appears that the cone set joint in the chassis/frame has cracked and handle bar is entirely dislocated and also if a tester crashed while pushing the bike, it simply shows the bike's poor handling.
Im all for TBHP being a platform for enthusiasts to share their perspectives, different as they may be, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how you did 2+3 = 1,956,269,271,961,421.0009 here. Once again, this is comical supposition at its very best.

Quote:
And reaching out to noraly aka Itchy boots for influencer marketing before anything else, just confirms this even more.
With all due respect, this has to be one of the most preposterous and far fetched statements in the history of TBHP
neil.jericho is offline   (45) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks