Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2023, 01:18   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Dissecting it a bit further. Would like to thank BOSKY if he ever reads this post, for being the first to feed to engineers in us with intellectual brain-food material and thanks to Ben again for laying it out crisply.

Let me briefly share the snippets of the video.

The ENGINE TECH AT A GLANCE

1. All new DOHC engine with slip and assist clutch with 6 speed transmission. The engine being a stressed member helps to stiffen the chassis so that they both tango in tandem in making the chassis stronger yet lighter.

2. Ride by Wire throttle system. Also mentioned they've tried to keep the torque curve flatter and stronger like the old Hima yet only 25% more.

3. Semi-dry sump lubrication, similar to that of the Duke 390.

4. Hydo-mechanical cam chain tensioner, would reduce the "rickety-clickety" rolling chain noise and hence a smoother valve train.

5. DLC coated parts on valve train on critical components (Mentioned by Ben, I reckon finger followers like the Duke 390)

6. New FORGED PISTON and ALL ALUMINUM cylinder sans STEEL or IRON liner which helps reduce the overall weight and bring tighter piston tolerances and enhanced squish which yields for higher compression ratio and thermal efficiency.

7. ENGINE OIL: 10w40 semi synthetic as opposed w50 on the heavier air cooled.

8. Ben agrees the older Himalayans used to sound rough and they've worked on the valve train and timing chain architecture

9. A bigger 418+ watt alternator (notice the big alternator cover) This would mean the bike is adequately equipped to cater to any additional loads demanded by acccessories, i.e. aux lights, fog lights, etc. RE seems to be working on its own set of fog lamps per Ben. Futureproof!

10 MILEAGE: 21 kmpl as per their standardized test. YMMV.

Personal Note: It's 1:30 AM and I just can't get enough of this machine. Damn, even the 650 Twins didn't elicit much commotion and enthuse inside of me.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 4th November 2023 at 01:23.
VijayAnand1 is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 07:39   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Personal Note: It's 1:30 AM and I just can't get enough of this machine. Damn, even the 650 Twins didn't elicit much commotion and enthuse inside of me.

Cheers!
VJ
Great summary VJ! Bosky indeed is THE MAN!

I'd like to add one more observation - the ride modes are Performance and Eco with rear ABS on & off. The Eco mode only affects the throttle response in the first 4 gears. You're still free to engage the maximum top end on the 5th & 6th gears. I'm not familiar if other manufacturers also have done something similar.

You'd typically use Eco mode in city where you'd be at lower gears. But if you are to find that empty stretch and shift up, you'll still get the benefit of the full 40bhp on tap, in higher gears.
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 07:39   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This one deserves it.
I am glad that RE are doing the same, covering everything from the basics to the accesories for it to be a motorcycle to reckon with.

If the first Himalayan was their first foray into something different, the 650 twins being their first upgrade but on their conventional lines, this is their best effort to date. In approach(strong basics, looking to keep it reasonably light), technology(liquid cooled, high compression, instrumentation) and customer focus(accessories).

I wish them good luck and applaud them for their effort.
How the bike pans out is to be seen but the outlook is definitely positive.

PS : I hope Hero is also looking at it and burning midnight oil

Last edited by shancz : 4th November 2023 at 07:40. Reason: Acc
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 07:54   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

4. Hydo-mechanical cam chain tensioner, would reduce the "rickety-clickety" rolling chain noise and hence a smoother valve train.

6. New FORGED PISTON and ALL ALUMINUM cylinder sans STEEL or IRON liner which helps reduce the overall weight and bring tighter piston tolerances and enhanced squish which yields for higher compression ratio and thermal efficiency.

7. ENGINE OIL: 10w40 semi synthetic as opposed w50 on the heavier air cooled.

VJ
The above two points, I guess that’s why RE choose to go for a lighter grade.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 11:17   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Very interesting video on the design aspects. Have a watch
A very interesting insight on how the 3 kgs less compared to older Himalayan may not mean much but with 17 ltr fuel tank and weight gain from USD forks and few other parts and they have still managed to keep it at 196 kgs shows the attention to detail. I am really tempted to swap the VStrom 250 for the tubeless version of the Himalayan.

RE has upped the game in Indian market and now will have to see how KTM responds with the newer version of Adv390
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 11:26   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
I was recently watching a skilled rider on the ADV390 SW riding on a track and some complicated/challenging terrain and I must say the KTM ADV is a very capable machine, it is lighter by a good 15 odd kgs compared to the new Himalayan, has more power - 3 bhp - the new 400 cc KTM motors make even more power and the KTM is physically smaller. That combo - lighter, more powerful and smaller makes the KTM an extremely competent machine that should be able to hold its own against the Himalayan.
+1. You have written exactly what is on my mind. I was about to take the plung on the KTM ADV 390. I currently own a RE Thunderbird 350. I have done Bhutan and Sikkim trips using the same motorcycle. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 90 kgs plus. I can flat foot the KTM ADV 390 & the current RE Himalayan with out any issues. Now after reading about the RE Himalayan 450 and seeing released pics, I am thinking to wait till next year before taking the plunge. The RE has served me well and is still my daily ride, but I am not satisfied with the quality control of Royal Enfield. There was and still is continuous niggles that need to be sorted out now and then. Although the bike never gave me any troubles in any of my outstation trips.

From what I have read here on team-bhp and other forums, i could infer that the quality control of RE motorcycles have improved a lot from the earlier days. This has now put me in the delima to whether wait for the new Himalayan 450 or go with the tried and tested KTM ADV 390.

I have decided to wait untill the tubeless rims are released for the Himalayan 450 and then make my decision. Sure hope that the wait will be worth the while.
dpaul is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:02   #472
BHPian

Quote:
10 MILEAGE: 21 kmpl as per their standardized test. YMMV.
Great compilation. Small correction: MILEAGE: 28.5 kmpl as per their standardized test.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:05   #473
BHPian

Seems the accessories are further clubbed together into two themes : Adventure and Rally

Sharing a photograph of the same.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screenshot_2023110415584953_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
aviator1101 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:13   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Seems the accessories are further clubbed together into two themes : Adventure and Rally

Sharing a photograph of the same.

Attachment 2525632
Any idea whats that large plastic thing on the Rally? Shown between the tailbags and saddlebags?
Old 4th November 2023, 16:22   #475
Senior - BHPian

The underseat fiber panel holding everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any idea whats that large plastic thing on the Rally? Shown between the tailbags and saddlebags?
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:24   #476
BHPian

Quote:
It is the tail section panel which is completely different from the stock bike.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screenshot_2023110416195089_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
The portion outlined in red

RE has probably laid down that opting for the Rally Theme is possible only during initial booking. Subsequently these parts will not be available as accessories.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:34   #477
BHPian

I for one am pretty stunned and very happy to eat my hat - in no way shape or form did I believe RE would be able to squeeze 40 horses from a 450 mil unit when the earlier avatar put out barely 24 at just 40 mils less. That’s pretty bonkers to me. In fact, going by that, the spec sheet and the whole visual language (save for a few elements), the only thing this seems to have in common with the 411 is the name. In fact, if it had an XPulse 400 badge on it, that would’ve been absolutely believable. Purely as an intellectual exercise, as a branding professional I personally would’ve considered a new brand name, giving it a fresh start and a chance to shed some of the less savoury comparisons to the 411s QC. Particularly given the formidable specs of this compared to the somewhat pedestrian 411. But that’s just me - I’m by no stretch of the imagination a RE fanboi so may not be the TG.

On a second but related note, notwithstanding Sid Lal’s ‘claims’ of extensive testing and QC, in the last 15-20 odd years since RE’s second coming with the original Classics, there has been not a single platform/series which has delivered on the promise of QC. None! To a point where people now seem to be content to buy an RE even with the expectation of a frame breaking - something utterly unheard of with any other brand. Perhaps that’s the strength of the RE brand and its allure - no other brand gets half the forgiveness that RE does. I mean Honda is virtually written off because of some silly one-off issues to do with dealer-level stuff but RE actually has an entire aftermarket industry going to plug its weaknesses and it’s taken as acceptable. So, I’d really like to see this model ride the talk and deliver peace of mind, along with the romance it promises.

Comparisons in favour of this over the KTMs and the Triumph Scrambler 400X, to me, are somewhat misplaced, at least at this time. The one aspect where I think this will score over the KTM is torque at the bottom end, addressing the lugging on the old KTMs (although the new one supposedly will be somewhat better, going by the new Duke) but remember that this is a MUCH heavier bike as well so for city riding it’ll be six of one and half a dozen of the other. On the highway it’s a no-contest in favour of the KTM 390 Adv. And the top end model particularly with the suspension and all the bells and whistles, is a real deal IMO. Unless there’s a significant price advantage, aside from some love for the RE brand, I don’t see why one wouldn’t pick the KTM personally. Compared to the Scrambler 400x, the Triumph seems incredibly rideable in almost every scenario except serious trail riding. And it’s lighter and fantastically priced. It also doesn’t suffer from the impression of being a smaller bike, that it’s sibling does.

So, a lot rides on the pricing of this Himalayan, not to mention QC. I know that I personally value peace of mind too much to ever be an early adopter of an RE.

I’d be happy to change my mind though. Seriously.

Last edited by RT13 : 4th November 2023 at 16:52.
RT13 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 17:15   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Perhaps that’s the strength of the RE brand and its allure - no other brand gets half the forgiveness that RE does.
That's the issue Sir. Matters start going wrong when you start taking things for granted.

The hype created by RE around the tubeless spoked wheels and then sudden anti-climax just prior to launch shows a somewhat "couldn't care less" attitude. To top it, in International markets, it will be available.

The present domestic market is not only price conscious, it is smart also. Such issues need to be addressed by RE otherwise it's difficult to enumerate even one good reason to choose the 452 over the 390 ADV.
How long will RE keep its boat afloat on the waves of low end torque?

PS. Knee jerk reaction by KTM.
Some channel reported they have revealed the 2024 390 ADV. Surprisingly it has nothing at all in common with the 2024 390 Duke. Rather it's just a cosmetic update of the existing 390 Adv.

Link : https://www.bikewale.com/news/ktms-r...ated-for-2024/

Last edited by aviator1101 : 4th November 2023 at 17:17.
aviator1101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 18:07   #479
BHPian

Quote:
That will come mandatory with the Rally variant. It's there to support soft luggage (think Mosko Moto like bags) meant for about 10-20L in total.
The soft bags will also be made & sold by RE, in due time. There are also bobbins there to hook on.

If you notice, the accessory bash plate comes integrated with engine guard bars as well. First time I'm seeing something like this.

The Rally variant will have to be picked up off of showroom itself (via MIY) due to homologation laws around the rear number plate. It cannot be customised or added on later, which may then involve re-registration I believe.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 4th November 2023 at 18:10.
shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 19:36   #480
BHPian

Global First Ride of the all-new Himalayan 450

First, let the pictures do the talking.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-1.jpeg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-2.jpg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-3.jpg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-4.jpg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-5.jpeg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-6.jpeg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-7.jpeg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-8.jpeg

That is me and the exact bike (TN07DE1090) that we got to ride!

My wife and I were invited for the launch event by Royal Enfield

Last edited by shyamg28 : 4th November 2023 at 19:40.
shyamg28 is offline   (30) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks