Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2023, 21:58   #451
BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Any tips to reduce weight further on this bike??
You can, but you probably wont like it

Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 21:59   #452
Senior - BHPian

The 'tubeless' spoke wheels will be launched by March 2024, and wont be available now is what I'm reading. Also, water wading capacity is better as the whole air filter is moved up under the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screen-shot-20231102-8.27.30-pm.png  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screen-shot-20231102-8.55.04-pm.png  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screen-shot-20231102-8.54.07-pm.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Sebring : 2nd November 2023 at 22:27.
Sebring is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 22:25   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Any tips to reduce weight further on this bike??
Depends on how much you can splurge $$.

The obvious ones are - lighter (LI ion) battery and lighter exhaust. This allows to keep the bike’s existing bodywork and aesthetic.

But then, if you really want to push the envelope - hopefully some carbon fiber replacement body panels and everything that is metal, a lighter fuel tank. Ahh.. and then there is the rider’s weight.

Good luck

Last edited by shree_shell : 2nd November 2023 at 22:27.
shree_shell is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 22:39   #454
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

200 kilos is a lot of bike. Period. Add to that then some of the long list of adventure accessories Royal Enfield will no doubt merchandise. Already setting the stage with 3 variants of the same bike. Add then to that the 15 to 20 to 30 to 35 kilos that many if not most Royal Enfield adventure riders to the mountains generally load their bikes with. Then add fuel jerry cans, only 5 liters a side now, since we have tarmac all the way through and fuel pumps too. Then add the rider and all his gear and armour. That's the recipe for a moving battle tank closing in on 350 kilos.

If a bike us fundamentally heavy, there isn't much you can do by shedding tin work like boxes and mudguards etc. It "feels" lighter, but most of it is in your head. Even on a circa 2000 Bullet 500, all solid metal (20 kilos lighter incidentally than this Adventure), you would be lucky to jettison say 10 kilos tops. But then it no longer resembles a functional bike. And is just that way for a race or event, before you have to go back.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-naked500_02.jpg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-picture-008.jpg

If you do choose to keep it functional, swapping metal parts for plastic and fibre, you add back some of the 10 odd kilos you took off. And at best you have a cool looking modified bike that "looks" the part.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_1645.jpg

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_1670.jpg

And Royal Enfield knows this. Because most of the guys employed in their different divisions as riders from the community, have done all of that before joining Royal Enfield as well as while working there.

Remember that the original Himalayan started out much lighter. Then the chassis started breaking. So they added metal and welds and strengthened the weak points. Another old Bulleteer trick with a gas weld torch and metal cross members. The Indian Army being pioneers for decades at it.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd November 2023 at 23:06.
ebonho is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 03:32   #455
Senior - BHPian

Sebring your timing was perfect. The exact set was was about to be uploaded by me.

Having owned the LS410 and currently owing the V-Strom SX, I sincerely feel this 450 has super great potential to be a runaway success. RE has left no stone unturned with this one, intending it to stay true to its name and pedigree. However, the real test of it will be with the practical users, but my gut conviction is hard pressed, it should come out with flying colors and deserving the aptly derived Himalayan moniker.

(i)Some more points I would like to add.

The rear and front tire are CEAT Radials, that does duty on both TUBE TYPE and TUBELESS rims. For non-TL rim, the TL tires are used with tubes. Practical job by RE, so that there isn't any confusion on tire choices. The tread block/patterns are the same.
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-rear-tire-radial.jpg

Notice, the airfilter cap at the top of the tank, prevents extreme water ingestion. Also note the butch round tube that welds to the headstock. Exactly how it should have been designed right from the first Himalayans. These round tubes are offer exceptional structural strength compared to a one rupee coin thick square tubes on the old one. You live and learn, and good that RE had its banana.
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-air-filter-chass.jpg

The coolant reservoir is placed on the right side. Do note the two bolt eyelets for the subrame. This is bolt-on subframe just like them KTMs. You crash and bend. Your throw and replace.. only that.. Not the whole bike.. Phew!
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-coolant-reservoir-chassis.jpg

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 3rd November 2023 at 03:34.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 12:27   #456
Senior - BHPian

While the bike is great, i feel not launching the tubeless spoke wheels is a lost opportunity for RE. Most of the himalayan i know in my friend circle are being used for touring purpose. The people using it for serious offroading might be a minority, i might be wrong here i am just assuming based on my experience.

The tube type tyre with spoke wheels is preferred in offloading because bent rims does not mean tyre loosing pressure. In touring and tarmac use, tube type tyres are a big hassle in case of a punture. They did the same with interceptor and it took almost 3 years for them to come up with the alloys wheel. IMO they should have launched it with tubeless spoke rims rather than alloys but thats a discussion for another day.

Another thought i have is maybe RE is doing is on purpose, They know that initial sales and booking are going to be good, they will be selling all the units they will be able to produce. So why not keep this tubeless tyres for later launch and keep the momentum going for longer.

Either way this bike is going to be a game changer in the segment and all credit goes to RE for it. All the other advs in this segment have engine shared with other bikes which are not really meant for such usage. This sherpa 450 engine with 40nm of torque at 5000rpm seems really good on paper at least. If you consider this then the specific output of this engine might be even better than KTM, which are actually considered cutting edge in single cylinder engines. Also RE engine is running at lower compression ratio than KTM. This seems like purpose built engine and bike, not a half hearted attempt as with other products in the market. I really hope there are no reliability issues with this one !
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 15:38   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
While the bike is great, i feel not launching the tubeless spoke wheels is a lost opportunity for RE.
RE isn't intentionally not launching it It has to undergo BIS certification first before it can be made available in India.
It will be available in international markets from Day 1.
Here's a bikewale video on it -
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzIP4...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited by shyamg28 : 3rd November 2023 at 15:40.
shyamg28 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 16:29   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
RE isn't intentionally not launching it It has to undergo BIS certification first before it can be made available in India.
It will be available in international markets from Day 1.
Here's a bikewale video on it -
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzIP4...RlODBiNWFlZA==
These compliances and timelines are not unknown, when you are developing the product the all these are accounted for. Unless RE planned for the these rims after the product was developed, in that case these might not be even tested on the product throughly.
Rahulkool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 17:24   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Unless RE planned for the these rims after the product was developed, in that case these might not be even tested on the product throughly.
I used the spokes rims in RE Classic 350 UCE (45k kms) 1 rear puncture. Interceptor 650 (17k kms) - 2 rear punctures before swapping with OEM tubeless tyres and alloys (damage to pocket - Rs.26k).

Was I anxious? Yes, I was! Did it stop me from having fun? No, never!

From KTM Adv 390 SW to Hero Xpulse 200 4V all come with spoked rims with tube type tyres. The newly launched Honda Transalp 750 too comes spoked rims tube type! I would not question the intent here. Glad that it's coming at the first place.

We already know the Excel Taksago Aluminium tubeless rims cost a whopping 60k INR a set for the Himalayan 411! (rims only). These are not BIS certified and hence may face the import ban sooner or later.

RE can easily charge 50k premium for TL rims and I wonder how many will opt for it.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:01   #460
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 to replace Himalayan 411

Royal Enfield is all set to unveil the Himalayan 452 at EICMA on November 7, 2023. It will replace the old Himalayan 411.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-screenshot-20231103-180020.jpg

The Himalayan 411 was launched in 2016. Since then, Royal Enfield has improved and updated the bike regularly. The last iteration of the ADV came in the form of a BS6-compliant version.

The upcoming Himalayan 452 is said to improve upon several aspects of its predecessor. It is based on an all-new twin-spar frame with an upside-down fork at the front and an adjustable monoshock at the rear.

The new Himalayan 452 is powered by a 451.65cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine, slightly larger than the outgoing 411cc unit. It produces 40 BHP @ 8,000 rpm and 40 Nm @ 5,500 rpm and is paired with a 6-speed gearbox via a slip-and-assist clutch.

Royal Enfield will continue to sell the Scram 411 in the Indian market.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:57   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I used the spokes rims in RE Classic 350 UCE (45k kms) 1 rear puncture. Interceptor 650 (17k kms) - 2 rear punctures before swapping with OEM tubeless tyres and alloys (damage to pocket - Rs.26k).

Was I anxious? Yes, I was! Did it stop me from having fun? No, never!

From KTM Adv 390 SW to Hero Xpulse 200 4V all come with spoked rims with tube type tyres. The newly launched Honda Transalp 750 too comes spoked rims tube type! I would not question the intent here. Glad that it's coming at the first place.

We already know the Excel Taksago Aluminium tubeless rims cost a whopping 60k INR a set for the Himalayan 411! (rims only). These are not BIS certified and hence may face the import ban sooner or later.

RE can easily charge 50k premium for TL rims and I wonder how many will opt for it.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
I abolutely understand your point but for me tubeless tyres are a must. I have done wheel change once on interceptor and i am very sure i dont want to do that while on a highway ride or something. To each their own i guess, my cousin has himalayan 411 and has installed the excel rim, while they are expensive but he felt for his usage it makes sense to spend that money for the peace of mind, he does a lot of rides with pillion.

If imported rims are available for 60k in retail then it will be lot cheaper for RE. Also i feel RE will not import them rather than get it made locally, there is no point in importing something as simple as a spoke rims.
Rahulkool is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:45   #462
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 to replace Himalayan 411

This makes sense, as the speculated Himalaya 650 may also be coming soon by next year whereas 411 along with 452 may cannibalize the new Himalayan. And I guess, it means, this new bike shouldn't be expensive as well.
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 20:07   #463
BHPian

Quote:
I have done wheel change once on interceptor and i am very sure i dont want to do that while on a highway ride or something.
After being stranded due to a puncture, never again. Fortunately we had a puncture shop nearby but the kicker? He didn't want to disassemble the wheel as he didn't know to place it back with the ABS sensor and brake discs! He said he never touches modern REs and KTMs just due to this. We had to search for a RE mechanic at 8 pm on a Sunday in a small town and thankfully one of the friends of the puncture mechanic was one. The energy it requires is a LOT!
100Kmphormore is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 21:46   #464
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting video on the design aspects. Have a watch
Sebring is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 23:28   #465
BHPian

And one more about the engine details -

shyamg28 is online now   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread