Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 16:54   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

These images shocked the hell out of me. A brand new bike met such a fate! Seems like a skid to me. Hope to know exactly what happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
This is the image of Himalayan 450 after a crash
Old 19th October 2023, 17:04   #362
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
These images shocked the hell out of me. A brand new bike met such a fate! Seems like a skid to me. Hope to know exactly what happened
Its not a skid. Its a head-on impact. Look at the front rim. And the tyre has come off.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 17:21   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We can't say for sure that the bike is built like a tank, There is no video of any durability tests being done in factory, despite earning humungous profits in the last decade they don't even have a proper durability testing facility in their factories. Even Hero's Vida electric scooter underwent through rigorous durability tests.

So, there is a chance that RE did not spend any significant R&D amount into making it rugged. These savings in R&D could actually keep the price low.
What's the basis of your assertion that Royal Enfield does not have a durability testing facility?

I'm asking this to understand if your assertions are based on facts or assumptions/imagination.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th October 2023 at 18:07. Reason: Trimming quoted text.
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 17:59   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
The RPM to wheel speed ratio will not change whether the vehicle is high up in the mountains or at sea level.
What changes is the throttle input required to attain the specific rpm.
Just a curious thought.

Will the rpm to wheel speed ratio not change with gradient?

Imagine going up or down an incline in any particular gear. Will this theory still hold good Sir?

Throttle input, as I understand, is directly proportional to a particular rpm and thereby the speed achieved. So, if you could please elaborate what you mean when you say throttle input required to maint a particular rpm changes but the rpm to speed ratio remains unchanged at higher altitudes.

Thanks in advance.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 18:03   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Just a curious thought.

Will the rpm to wheel speed ratio not change with gradient?

Imagine going up or down an incline in any particular gear. Will this theory still hold good Sir?
I had the same thought when I saw that photo. Even tailwinds might affect the ratio in that case.

However, I trust RE not to try such mind tricks to lead us on and develop misconceptions.
davelok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 18:33   #366
BHPian

Talking about testing the bike. Watch the video released by RE below :-

The Himalayan 450 has been taken to the Umlingla Pass, the highest motorable pass in the world after traversing 5000 plus kms all the way from Chennai.

Now that's what is called real world testing.

Hats off RE...
aviator1101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 18:44   #367
BHPian

The coordinates 45°31'10.57" N9°04'41.49" E shows location as Italy in Google Maps
Old 19th October 2023, 18:54   #368
BHPian

I am no fan of RE, but on reliability, all the info on testing and photos from Chennai reported in this forum and other social media, is actually a part of reliability testing!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st October 2023 at 00:35. Reason: Please avoid typing....like....this. Thanks.
HowDifferent? is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2023, 20:22   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeEvo View Post
The coordinates 45°31'10.57" N9°04'41.49" E shows location as Italy in Google Maps
That's right.

The reveal will happen at EICMA, which takes place in Milan, Italy.
They'll probably launch it here later at Motoverse in Goa.
MadTitan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 00:24   #370
BHPian

Quote:
We can't say for sure that the bike is built like a tank...So, there is a chance that RE did not spend any significant R&D amount into making it rugged. These savings in R&D could actually keep the price low.
...and also if a tester crashed while pushing the bike, it simply shows the bike's poor handling.

And reaching out to noraly aka Itchy boots for influencer marketing before anything else, just confirms this even more.
I'm quite shocked at the above inferences to be honest

Quoting instance of a crash and going on to infer "it simply shows the bike's poor handling"? While I understand that it maybe your (strong) opinion, using words such as simply and just make it seem factual or a given, which it's really not at this point.
shyamg28 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 09:06   #371
BHPian

All the inferences aside, and the photos of the testing aside (I think we can dismiss test bikes because they would have fixed it) RE's reliability and consistency is spotty. The Super Meteor 650 seems to have bucked that trend. I wouldn't regard the J-series as indicators because the failures there are varied. But in the case of the Himalayan the bike literally broke into two pieces (BS3 and some BS4s that took a real beating).

I don't think we're that far off the mark when something like an adventure bike whose chassis is supposed to be built to take a beating does that. I hope they fix it in the new one, but caution never hurt anyone. Being a first-lot Thunderbird 500 survivor of messed up fuel gauges, catastrophic fuel pumps, pathetic electronics, and so on, I don't think I'm making any unwarranted assumptions when I say that the 'test' (that's an ad. Other brands do the same. You could take a Bullet to Ladakh as well and Umling La, especially with the better roads and the only occasional landslide) is not conclusive proof of durability or consistency.

I'd hold my money and wait for the fixes with this one. And before anyone says I have an anti-RE bias, I'd take only, and only, a Yamaha in the first lot.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st October 2023 at 16:23. Reason: Spacing for better readability. Also, no abbreviations for bike models please. Thank you.
AulusGabinius is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th October 2023, 09:48   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, there is a 'chance'. I am not ascertaining this. There is also a chance, this is not true and significant R&D was done.
Your post made me dig up something from a few days ago.

I'm sure you will agree with me that the granddaddy of adventure bikes, the mighty BMW R1200 GS/GSA, has been tested and proven over the last four decades and at least a million kilometers before every new launch.

And yet, here is an example -

The stanchion failure was recognized, and a recall was initiated.

Based on the logic you've deployed on RE managing cost by cutting corners on development, are we to understand BMW, too, cut corners to launch a motorcycle that is, by default, their largest seller, and highest profit-margin generator?

Before I’m seen as a RE fanboy, I admit to never owning a RE in the twenty years of automobile ownership. However, I’d not want to assume or blemish the name of any manufacturer doing their best to launch new products in a competitive and complicated market.

Will there be issues with a new launch? For sure!

Let’s see how manufacturers handle such situations before we act as the judge, jury, and executioner – all based on a set of photographs that lack context.

I implore you to continue this conversation without prejudice.

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Raskolnikov.R : 20th October 2023 at 10:09.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 16:13   #373
BHPian

One of the members took a screenshot which shows the ODO reading of a bike doing rounds in Ladakh region.

Why does the ODO read 6xx odd Kms on the TFT?

Considering they started from Chennai the ODO should have been at 3K min upon reaching Leh.

Didn't they use the same motorcycle till Umling La? If not, what's the point of transporting fresh bikes to Leh so that they can be tested around Ladakh.

That beats the whole purpose of testing!
sudeep.pandya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 17:27   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Could be trip ODO. Like Trip A or Trip B. Not sure though.
Old 20th October 2023, 17:34   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
One of the members took a screenshot which shows the ODO reading of a bike doing rounds in Ladakh region.

Considering they started from Chennai the ODO should have been at 3K min upon reaching Leh.

Didn't they use the same motorcycle till Umling La? If not, what's the point of transporting fresh bikes to Leh so that they can be tested around Ladakh.

That beats the whole purpose of testing!
I'm pretty sure that's an ad. I highly doubt that's a real test. At best it's the final final final pre-launch test, with bikes that are scrutinized over and over again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed