Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 16:28   #1
BHPian

My Karizma Dilemma due to lockdown

My Karizma Dilemma due to lockdown-whatsapp-image-20211220-13.26.38.jpeg

Dear BHPians

I have a Feb 2006 Karizma which is in Goa currently and registered in Mumbai.

I have major issues to deal with -

1) Insurance has expired
2) Registration has expired

Both due to oversight during the pandemic. The bike is in good condition and recently serviced through a local mechanic.

I contacted the the insurance company, and they say they wont renew the insurance because the registration of the bike has expired.

And to renew the registration, the bike has to be brought to Mumbai to get it passed at the RTO.

Now my question is, what are the ways to get the bike transported back to Mumbai with a valid registration and the insurance?

Your inputs will be of great help to decide further course of action.
TaurusAl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Karizma Dilemma due to lockdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Now my question is, what are the ways to get the bike transported back to Mumbai with a valid registration and the insurance?
Easiest (but costliest) would be to transport it to Mumbai by truck/tempo. Do check with an agent in Mumbai if they can assist in reg. renewal without physical verification.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Easiest (but costliest) would be to transport it to Mumbai by truck/tempo. Do check with an agent in Mumbai if they can assist in reg. renewal without physical verification.
I checked with some courier services and they require a proper insurance to transport the vehicle.
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Third Party insurance should be possible without inspection. For a 2006 model bike, the IDV would anyway be close to nil. Some insurance companies look to have a self declaration for comprehensive.

IMO, the FC renewal can be the issue processwise. You would need to get the bike to Bombay to get it done.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 22:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

TaurusAl, you will basically have to
- find a local transporter (some guy with a truck / minivan) from Goa and not a courier company to transport your Karizma to Bombay. It might be a bit expensive but think of it as a one time expense due to unfortunate circumstances and move on. Use the help of some friends and family to identify someone with a minivan. Im sure you will get the right person to transport it for you. This will ideally be the most difficult part but basically just pay whatever is required to get it to Bombay.
- Take it to the RTO and get the fitness certificate for the next 5 years.
- Get the insurance and enjoy riding your bike.

If the costs are too high and it isnt worth following through on it, get your local mechanic in Goa to disassemble the bike for usable parts and financially, get what you can out of the bike. We have a parallel thread in the 2 wheeler section with a discussion on the same.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
- Take it to the RTO and get the fitness certificate for the next 5 years.
- Get the insurance and enjoy riding your bike.
If you may kindly permit me to change a little, it will be 99% of what you said with the below sequence...
  1. Transport Karizma to Bombay
  2. Take TP insurance at BPCL or Indian Oil (only selective outlets have them) & motorcycle HAS TO be shown for tracing the engine & frame number with a pencil on paper
  3. Take NOC (has to be done ONLY at Bombay, not GA)
  4. Visit RTO armed with TP & NOC and TP & NOC only

This is what I had to do for my Rx & finally obtain FC until 2026.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Attachment 2248774

Dear BHPians

I have a Feb 2006 Karizma which is in Goa currently and registered in Mumbai.

I have major issues to deal with -

1) Insurance has expired
2) Registration has expired

Both due to oversight during the pandemic. The bike is in good condition and recently serviced through a local mechanic.

I contacted the the insurance company, and they say they wont renew the insurance because the registration of the bike has expired.

And to renew the registration, the bike has to be brought to Mumbai to get it passed at the RTO.

Your inputs will be of great help to decide further course of action.
You could ride the bike to Bombay. Least hassle.

If you are caught, pay the fine and move on.

No sense making these red tape issues more complicated than they need to be.

Or get overly sanctimonious. You are not harming anyone or hurting anyone or killing anyone.

You are riding a perfectly functional machine which has been made defunct by new legislation.

As long as you have a valid license, I don't see anything sacrilegious about riding a perfectly good bike safely on our roads. One which you own and have not stolen.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If you may kindly permit me to change a little, it will be 99% of what you said with the below sequence...
  1. Transport Karizma to Bombay
  2. Take TP insurance at BPCL or Indian Oil (only selective outlets have them) & motorcycle HAS TO be shown for tracing the engine & frame number with a pencil on paper
  3. Take NOC (has to be done ONLY at Bombay, not GA)
  4. Visit RTO armed with TP & NOC and TP & NOC only
100% agree if insurance can be obtained before taking it to the RTO for the paperwork. The first post indicates that road tax needs to be valid for a new insurance policy to be issued, which I did not know. Hence my suggestion.

If however, third party / any insurance can be taken without the road tax being paid, then the insurance should be done first, exactly as you have suggested. Very informative post.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
If however, third party / any insurance can be taken without the road tax being paid, then the insurance should be done first, exactly as you have suggested. Very informative post.
Yes Sir, I'm very sure on this; TP insurance will be given for a vehicle awaiting for FC (even if lapsed; mine was lapsed 5 years ago hehe). In my case there were 2 hassles:
1. Insurance - Rx was older than 2005; insurance companies were providing online service for new TP only if vehicles were registered between 2005-2007 (unsure of 2005)
2. PUC - There were dual entries, meaning, there were 2 RTOs registered for my Rx, not sure how this happened. Because my Rx was originally registered with RTO1 but subsequent 2 FCs were done at RTO2, may be due to that

So for #1, I had to wait for approval from insurance company under exception, this was taken care quite easily, say a day's time?

For #2, had to visit (friendly) RTO to get the job done, I think this was free of charge

Once the single entry was done, I could take PUC; earlier this could not be done because the PUC folks mentioned about dual entry due to which they couldn't issue a certificate.

Once all documents are submitted, vehicle has to be produced before inspector based on appointment after which it takes about a week to week & half for the smart card to be issued.

IMHO, if all documents are perfect, there's a very less need to visit RTO & most things can be done through Parivahan 4.0

I'm told that going forward for FC, I could initiate FC through online before one month of expiry; that's very very, very heartening to hear on digital India.

Last edited by aargee : 24th December 2021 at 13:05.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 13:22   #10
BHPian

If you want to transport your bike to Mumbai, then please contact the below person.
His business is material/goods transfer between goa & mumbai. I personally have not yet availed of his service, but came to know with one of my friends who has availed his service & its good.
Name : Sam
Number : 98210 08484
daredemon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 10:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

If you are caught, pay the fine and move on.

No sense making these red tape issues more complicated than they need to be.
+1 to this.

If its in running condition, just ride it to Mumbai. Pay up the fine if required on the way. Once there get in touch with a RTO agent and they can handle it. This is the simplest approach, if you want least hassle IMO.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 12:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Or get overly sanctimonious. You are not harming anyone or hurting anyone or killing anyone.
Please do understand the risks of doing this. A Fine is the tip of the iceberg. God forbid you hit some one by accident or worse get hit, you will find no lenience from the authorities, due to lack of TP insurance and registration. Essentially you are not allowed to ride the vehicle on road per law of the land.

See if you can do some Jugaad at RTO. You can carry the engine number stenciled papers if needed. Else it’s too much of a hassle for a 15+ Year old bike. If it has sentimental value , then be prepared to spend money and effort to getting this back on the road.
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 13:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Please do understand the risks of doing this. A Fine is the tip of the iceberg. God forbid you hit some one by accident or worse get hit, you will find no lenience from the authorities, due to lack of TP insurance and registration. Essentially you are not allowed to ride the vehicle on road per law of the land.

See if you can do some Jugaad at RTO. You can carry the engine number stenciled papers if needed. Else it’s too much of a hassle for a 15+ Year old bike. If it has sentimental value , then be prepared to spend money and effort to getting this back on the road.
I'm aware of this. I currently have 2 cars, 2 bikes, and 1 scooter, all without a valid registration.

These bikes and cars were driven and ridden on our roads for decades without hassle, with a one time lifetime registration.

This new "policy" is only red tape to make money. Both small scale and for vested industry interests, to increase throughput and sales.

So pay the money. I'll stick to what I said. Its no different to any other fine. An unregistered vehicle (like a brand new one as well) is not the same as riding or driving on the road and hitting someone without a valid License.

Ditto for not having Insurance. If you do not have Insurance, pay out of pocket. Yet the new "laws" mandate having compulsory TP insurance. The reason is that without that, in most cases people just used to put their hands up stating with a shrug of their shoulders an inability to pay. Karo kya karna hai attitude. So its a workaround to a social malaise.

In ending, its not like authorities are going to go easy on you if you hit someone with all of the above. Its an all or none thing.

I am not proposing that the gent ride around indefinitely on an unregistered vehicle. Just giving him the path of least resistance as one of the possible options.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th December 2021 at 13:46.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 13:55   #14
BHPian

For people suggesting drive as is and pay fine if caught, I would suggest do check the applicable fine.

For example, in Bangalore it's a court fine.

https://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.g...spotfines.aspx
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 14:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
For people suggesting drive as is and pay fine if caught, I would suggest do check the applicable fine.

For example, in Bangalore it's a court fine.

https://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.g...spotfines.aspx
Its a thousand buck fine in Maharashtra.

https://highwaypolice.maharashtra.go...cts-and-fines/

Same as speeding, dangerous driving or illegal modifications/alterations to the vehicle.

I rest my case. The OP is an adult. He can take a call with his eyes open.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 25th December 2021 at 14:23.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks