Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:50   #1
BHPian

What to do with a non-runner and >15yr old bike: Sell, scrap, Exchange ?

I am in a dilemma with an old Pulsar 150 which I have bought it in 2006 and it is TN registered. It is currently in Bangalore and a non-runner for the past 4+ years. Riding a TN registered vehicle in KA is a hassle. Need to deal with cops on a regular basis. So I bought new vehicles in Bangalore. The car parking area is small and it is occupied by my car and my KA registered scooter. The Pulsar is left in the open and getting sun and rain. Although I tried to put cover, the majority of the year it is very windy and makes the cover difficult to stay on the bike. Now I am thinking about moving it back to TN.

What to do with a non-runner and >15yr old bike: Sell, scrap, Exchange ?-20211222_141935.jpg

Is it possible to move using packers & movers ? I believe they will ask for a pollution certificate (bike is a non-runner), Insurance (no insurance for the bike at the moment but can be taken) and Road tax (road tax is expired on July 2021).

Repair or Sell or Exchange or scarp ?
Repair: Repair, move it back to TN and sell there ?
Sell: Selling the bike (may sell for peanuts!) in KA is another hassle since it is TN registered. My biggest worry is the proper name transfer rather than the money I might get. The bike is currently in terrible condition and no one will come forward for it. Not interested on Olx and other platforms as it is more of a headache to deal with random people.
Exchange it in the KA through motorcycle dealer and get a new KA bike ? Not sure whether it is possible or any dealer will even look at it. Need your help. Also, I dont have a need to buy a new vehicle.
Scarp: Is it possible ? I assume closing the RC is a bit of a hassle ?

I believe the following needs to be changed or repaired:

Both Tyres needs to be replaced - ~4K
Battery (already taken out) - ~1.5K
Suspension is saggy. -
Springs might have worn out
Fork oil
Engine oil
If new suspension ~ 5K
Brakes are kind of jammed as it is hard to move. Might need new brakes.
Brake calipers - ~1K
Brake Disc + fluid reservoir - ~ 1.5K. I checked the brake fluid reservoir and the liquid is all hardened kind of gummy.
Brake fluid - 100
Need to check rear brakes as well
Fuel pipes - 500
New oil, petrol - 3K
Air filter - ~200
Labour charge - Not sure (4K ?)
Road tax - 3K ? (including agent charge etc)
Chain, sprocket change - 1K
Engine service
Carburettor cleanup
Labour charge
Insurance - ~1K
Road tax - ~1K

I did some rough calculation and repairs may cost around anywhere between 20-30K but I am in a dilemma whether it is worth to repair a 15Yr Bajaj.

What is the best way to proceed forward?
amvj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:54   #2
BHPian

Re: What to do with a non-runner and >15yr old bike: Sell, scrap, Exchange ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post

I did some rough calculation and repairs may cost around anywhere between 20-30K but I am in a dilemma whether it is worth to repair a 15Yr Bajaj.

I assume since the bike is idle since 4 years, you are not emotionally attached to it anymore, so best way forward will be to scrap it, get the RC cancelled. Other options are not worth it IMO, you'll have to find a buyer then do the due diligence. And I'm not sure if people will buy a 15 years old Pulsar, given there are plenty new Pulsars available in used bike market. I mean no offense, if you have some emotional attachment with the bike
Akshay6988 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I assume since the bike is idle since 4 years, you are not emotionally attached to it anymore, so best way forward will be to scrap it, get the RC cancelled. Other options are not worth it IMO, you'll have to find a buyer then do the due diligence. And I'm not sure if people will buy a 15 years old Pulsar, given there are plenty new Pulsars available in used bike market. I mean no offense, if you have some emotional attachment with the bike
Thanks for the suggestion. My doubt is, do we have a proper procedure in place for scrapping the vehicles especially two wheelers?
I believe now only we are seeing such option for cars (Toyota, Mahindra etc are setting up scrap facilities). Scrapping the vehicle also means that I need to remove the name from the RC book. Are there any reputed agencies who deal such things?

I don't know the procedure for scrapping. Go to breaker yard, give the bike and get the certificate and then go to RTO and close the RC?
Do we have such things in India ?

Last edited by amvj : 22nd December 2021 at 18:09.
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is to go to hosur (just 35kms from Bangalore) and catch some mechanic and tell him about the bike. Ask him if he is interested in the purchase and resell to some locals. What ever rate he quotes, accept it and sell it to him. You may need to spend some 1-2 k to make the bike runnable. Once it starts and ready to run, ride to hosur and complete the transaction (both legally and financially)
gkveda is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know the procedure for scrapping.
In case you choose to scrap your vehicle, a word of caution:

Your vehicle can easily be brought back to running condition. So do ensure that the vehicle is actually scrapped, to prevent it from being repaired and put to any unlawful use afterwards.
adisan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the costs involved that you have stated, the bike after clearance of all taxes will have to undergo the 15 year plus fitness test (2006-21) to enable it run for a further five years.

It appears that you can do without the bike too at this stage due to your parking problems and the bike getting neglected. Hence, you can apply for de-registration at the RTO where it was registered saying the bike is rendered mechanically unfit for further usage. After deregistering, you can sell it for scrapping to some used bike dealer though it will fetch you a pittance.

Or else, you can await the vehicle scrappage policy that shall be effective for private vehicles very soon. Herein, hassles like payment of full due RTO taxes before de-registration and issue of scrapping certificate have been removed.

The current procedure for de-registration as available on the VAHAN website:-

https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//...on-certificate
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:47   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot for kindly replying to my question. I will go through and get back. I see some useful tips in polizybazaar on the same topic:

https://www.policybazaar.com/motor-i...ter-scrapping/
amvj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 09:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If the bike doesnt have a sentimental value, I'd suggest to scrap it or sell it legally in TN for whatever you can get.

I personally have learnt that maintaining old vehicles , even if very well maintained is getting tougher day by day.
dhanushs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

un-official scrapping: grind out the engine number & chassis number, remove the number plates and sell it to a mechanic.

Pulsar 2006 is in no-man's land. There are newer pulsars that people can get.

One other option is to take it back to TN, donate it to someone but ensure that he takes care of the RC transfer and Fitness requirements. Of course, to do a RC transfer the bike must first pass the fitness.
condor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:43   #10
OmV
BHPian

Came across this thread at an opportune time!
I am in a similar situation with my father's 2007 Honda Activa. The scooter still runs and is used sporadically for local errand runs.
Over the past 2 years the scooter was hardly used and now with advancing age my father is no longer interested in using it. I personally don't have much use for the scooter as I have an Ntorq for city runs and a 390ADV and a Kiger for longer distances.

The Activa does not have a valid PUC or Insurance at this point and the RC has been misplaced over the years. Furthermore it has started giving heavier maintenance costs mostly due to lack of use. (When it was in regular use it was in perfect working order)

What are my options here? I also am moving out of the country in 3 months so have started thinking of putting this in order.
Please advise.
Thanks.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 14:44   #11
BHPian

Even reregistration is such a hassle. If it's too difficult to keep parked, just drive it into some lake or pond and let it sink.
karanddd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Even reregistration is such a hassle. If it's too difficult to keep parked, just drive it into some lake or pond and let it sink.
My thoughts exactly. Riding it off a cliff might prove remotely dangerous to someone passing below. Riding it into a landfill is an idea (like at Uruli Kanchan near Pune). There it will rust in peace. Maybe to be extra careful you could grind out the numbers like Condor suggested, just in case. Do that anyways, even if you sell it to a scrap guy. You never know where your bike might eventually land up. Probably somewhere in UP used as a getaway vehicle by a shooter and his rider. Mirzapur comes to mind. Though I hear RX 100s are their favourite bike.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd December 2021 at 15:30.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
just drive it into some lake or pond and let it sink.
Wouldn't this be a cause for an environmental hazard for the living organisms in the lake? Especially the engine oil and the plastic bits.
sole_rider is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

From experience mostly friends and personal I have realised this, do not move your vehicles across states, better to sell and buy but if moving is inevitable then understand the process, get all the documents sorted at the earliest. I have seen people lose their vehicle's value/legality just because they thought they'll first move and then see which never happened until the day their registration expired.

Now since that step isn't useful now as all that has long passed I would suggest the same :
- If you can repair and sell the bike with ownership transfer, do that.
- Exchange it for something new. You can ask the exchange personnel about the case and tell them you'd be making a purchase only if they take and transfer the bike.
- Scrappage system isn't very clear as of now but from what I gather from elders the usual scrappage meant :
1. Taking the bike to a mechanic and have him strip/scrub off the engine and chassis numbers and any info plate to be cut-off and taken with you.
2. Sell the rest as parts/scrap to the mechanic who would contact a scrap dealer at scrap value.
3. Pay the mechanic, they'll also take some parts from the scrap if they need.
4. Cancel/Surrender the registration at the RTO.
This was done before any scrappage policy existed.

Last edited by shancz : 23rd December 2021 at 15:51. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This bike will be on road within 5k and will be in excellent condition with 10K.

You are highly overestimating the costs.

Remember its a Bajaj, the only thing it is good at, is being cheap
2000rpm is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks