Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 07:36   #1
BHPian

The Usual Bike Dilemma: Interceptor vs CB350 vs G310R

I am in my late 30s, considering a bike for short trips/ night drives, mostly within the city. Just for fun and some adrenaline rush. My back and shoulder problems keep me away from touring of any sorts. Last bike I owned was a CBZ classic 15 years back.
My requirements are exclusivity and trouble free ownership. The bike should look premium and must stand out in the crowd. Have set a budget of 3-3.5 lacs and can extend it a bit. I intend to keep the bike for atleast 10-12 years or may be longer. Have short listed and test driven a few and my ride impressions are summarised below

RE Interceptor 650:- This was the first and obvious choice. However was not really impressed with the TD. Found the seat to be a bit high (I am 175 cms), had to extend the foot to find a stable ground at crawling speeds. The left leg kept hitting the foot rest. Had to stoop forward to reach the handle bar causing lower back pain. There was no gear shift indicator and stalled the engine a couple of times due to wrong gear selection( May be because I was riding after ages). However the power on tap is excellent, clutch is soft and gear shift smooth. This bike has a exclusive Cult following, is a looker and a fairly reliable product. Endless customization options makes it worth drooling for.

RE 350 meteor:- Thought not in my bucket list initially, Sales executive insisted on a TD after I pointed issues with interceptor. However this bike left me impressed. The ergonomics are sorted and speedo console has all the requisite information. The large screen keeps away the wind blast. This bike actually has every thing I am looking for except the exclusivity. It’s way too common on the roads.

Honda Highness 350:- This was the bike I felt comfortable to ride. Never felt like i was riding such a heavy bike. It was so smooth and easy to handle. The only con is the looks. It’s just too boring, more like a splendor going to Gym, specially in dual tone. Didn’t find many customisation options on the net, unlike the Interceptor. Another issue will be service. Nearest centre is 200kms away and I can never drive that distance.

BMW G 310 R/ GS:- Again not in my bucket list, saw the 310 R on display in a mall and was really impressed with the way it looks. Next day headed to the showroom. This bike is a looker no doubts, but the driving dynamics are not that great. The gear ratio was bit odd, so was the acceleration in lower gears. The gear shifts were precise. Felt like I was riding an Apache. Is this really BMW? Or a TVS Apache with a BMW label? Ergonomics of both the bikes were sorted except in G310R I had to dorsiflex my wrist way too much causing pain on palmar aspect of wrist joint. Had seating issues with the GS, a pain in stop and go traffic. The GS impressed me with the suspension though. Out of the two 310R will be my choice. Except for the looks and premium BMW label there is not much to write about. Again service will be a pain, 200 kms away.

Yamaha Aerox 155:- Although there is no comparison between bikes above and Aerox, but Aerox seems to fulfil my requirement. Though I am yet to test drive one but it’s a looker, expect it to remain exclusive and can do some grocery runs too. A practical choice I can say. However I will miss the charm of owning something like the interceptor.

Bikes not considered

Honda CB 300:- Yet to test drive but don’t find it a looker hence not considering

Jawa:- again lack of exclusivity and quality issues as reported by users is keeping me away from Jawa

Kawasaki Ninja 300:- I guess the forward stance will cause back pain, hence not considered.

Benelli:- This brand has a couple of good options with an extended budget. Chinese connection is keeping me away. I can reconsider if the products are reliable and keeper

E-bikes:- I couldn’t find good options hence not considered.

Commuter bikes from Hero/ Bajaj etc

Humble request for suggestions and inputs from the forum

Thanks and regards

Last edited by bravo82in : 9th December 2021 at 07:40.
bravo82in is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 08:26   #2
BHPian

Re: The Usual Bike Dilemma: Interceptor vs CB350 vs G310R

Welcome back to riding! To start off, two of your key criteria “exclusivity and trouble free ownership” are sort of contradictory. In my experience, something which is exclusive will be comparatively more difficult to own and maintain owing to limitations on spare parts, SVCs and general knowhow on how to troubleshoot issues.

From your other requirements, back and shoulder pain is something you should be concerned about as this is a decider on how long you actually continue or rather continue enjoying riding irrespective of exclusivity or ownership experience. Meteor, CB350 or even interceptor would do good on this part. Personally I feel interceptor is the choice for you, its an amazing machine for what it is and you wouldn’t have that bug to upgrade to a multi cylinder bike soon once you get back to the saddle. Some of the ergonomic issues that you mentioned can be taken care of with the customisation options that you are aware about. The interceptor based cruiser which is due for a launch anytime can be a good choice if you can wait.

Coming to Aerox, the suspension setup isn’t comfortable so wait for reviews on improvements, if any on the suspension upgrade options provided by Yamaha.

Considering Honda and BMW is out of your list practically due to the service distance of 200kms, I’ll suggest you to try out Suzuki SF250 and KTM adventure twins. They are fairly exclusive on roads, comfortable to ride and easy to own and maintain.

If looks and exclusivity cannot be compromised, I’d even suggest you to look for some good options in preloved market if you stretch your budget by a bit. Good luck!

Last edited by camitesh : 9th December 2021 at 08:36. Reason: Spellcheck
camitesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
RE Interceptor 650Found the seat to be a bit high (I am 175 cms), had to extend the foot to find a stable ground at crawling speeds. The left leg kept hitting the foot rest. Had to stoop forward to reach the handle bar causing lower back pain. There was no gear shift indicator and stalled the engine a couple of times due to wrong gear selection( May be because I was riding after ages)
Boss, I'm hardly 170 & my feet are planted; it's the engineering flaw with footrest that makes you feel so.

Then the forward leaning : I will say, that's THE BEST riding position to have good control & more so with speed + control. but you need to know one important aspect - hit a pothole with laid back ride versus forwards leaning, the body takes bigger hit with former than latter. Of course motorcycles like Daytona aren't that comfortable to ride all day long on Indian roads, but these are very mild forward leaning ones.

Bike stalling, err, not sure what to say because many folks complained about CBR 250R also stalling which is something I hardly experienced. I'll leave that more to the rider than the ride itself

Quote:
Honda CB 300:- Yet to test drive but don’t find it a looker hence not considering
And please add - Nearest centre being 200kms away

Quote:
Kawasaki Ninja 300:- I guess the forward stance will cause back pain, hence not considered
Do ride the motorcycle over potholes & find out which how the impact of shock travels through the backbone versus dispersing through muscles

Quote:
Humble request for suggestions and inputs from the forum
I've 3 points to convey Sir...
1. If I were you, I would treat the backpain first rather than returning to ride a motorcycle with backpain. One foresight is, the backpain, if untreated, eventually takes over the joy of riding the motorcycle & the bike will eventually find a new owner

2. Define the purpose of buying a motorcycle pls. If it's for lifestyle or seeking some novelty in life, then, I would highly suggest to re-examine your thoughts please.

3. Also did you consider KTM's, assuming their ASC are closer to your house? Adv 390 is a very good choice considering it's riding stance + adjustable suspension settings.

Last edited by aargee : 9th December 2021 at 09:20.
aargee is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My back and shoulder problems keep me away from touring of any sorts.
Sorry to ruin it for ya. The Interceptor is a no-go if you have a bad back. I suffer from a weak lower back. While riding a motorcycle does not bother me, I know the weight of an Interceptor will end up killing your back.

I can't comment or say much for any of the other motorcycles.

A Honda should be the easiest to own and live with. They require next to no attention other than regular service, which you could do with just about any garage.

The Meteor does make a strong case for itself.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th December 2021 at 09:36.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:59   #5
BHPian

Hi bravo82in

I wish you permanent cure from your back pain.

Meanwhile, just to understand your requirements

1. exclusivity
2. trouble free ownership
3. City usage mostly with late night rides

you didn't mention if there will be a pillion or not. For now with a benefit of doubt, I will consider it is just to go single and even if you have a pillion, you might not carry heavy luggage/carriers.

The immediate option that comes to my mind is MT15. All the 3 reqs of you will easily get satisfied. The engine is supposed to be a gem with more traction to pull from lower speed to triple digits at higher gears. Its a naked upright stance ride which is from yamaha and so it should be mostly trouble free for maintenance of you and your bike

Happy & Safe riding!

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 9th December 2021 at 10:02. Reason: no cb300R and so removed it
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:11   #6
BHPian

I am surprised at how Honda has been able to create a sense that the Highness is an alternative or even in the same segment as the Interceptor.

The Interceptor is a fantastic bike and is probably the most VFM parallel twin engine in the market right now. Yes, there are a few design flaws, but those aren’t deal-breakers. Amongst the bikes you’ve listed, I think Interceptor is a no-brainier.
nTorq is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

bravo82in, based on your requirements, I feel a few motorcycles appear to be better choices than most
a. Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 : With the back and shoulder issues that you alluded to, do strongly consider getting handlebar risers. Beyond that, the sky is the limit in terms of customization and making the bike your own. The Interceptor is a long term keeper and you certainly arent going to outgrow it in a few years time.
b. TVS Apache RR 310 BTO : Left field choice but it is stylish, comfortable, has some very good components and will give you exclusivity as well. It definitely meets your premium feel and stand out criterion.
c. Classic 350 : Same impressive characteristics of the Meteor but you might lose out on the exclusivity part.

In the end, I have a feeling that you will end up with the Interceptor 650 but do test ride a few more options before you take a final call.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 11:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Jawa:- again lack of exclusivity and quality issues as reported by users is keeping me away from Jawa
Jawa is not exclusive? I have literally only seen 2-3 in person. Probably as exclusive as Ducatis in NCR at least.
karanddd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 12:44   #9
BHPian

Have you tried out the new Classic 350? It's a better ride than the meteor and a less stressful riding position.

I would suggest a test ride of the new Classic 350 and consider it.

I am not a Classic owner but I recently did test ride the new one and was quite pleasantly shocked at how good it was in terms of refinement and ride quality.
Bhodrolok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I am in my late 30s, considering a bike for short trips/ night drives, mostly within the city. Just for fun and some adrenaline rush.
My requirements are exclusivity and trouble free ownership. The bike should look premium and must stand out in the crowd. Have set a budget of 3-3.5 lacs and can extend it a bit.
I think CB300R will fulfill all your criteria.

Not only its designed for city rides, its pretty light and nimble in traffic. Its got the upgraded engine from the CBR250 so reliability is no-brainer.

Its pretty exclusive now as it was imported from Thailand, but now that its being made in India I think the exclusivity will drop in the future.

Last edited by Black_Star : 9th December 2021 at 15:20.
Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I am in my late 30s, considering a bike for short trips/ night drives, mostly within the city. Just for fun and some adrenaline rush.

RE Interceptor 650:-

Commuter bikes from Hero/ Bajaj etc

Thanks and regards
I was in the same dilemma a few years ago.
I just turned 41 and I am loving every bit of owning the Interceptor since Feb 2020. Got a BS6 Baker Express.

The main changes I have done to adapt the bike to my body structure and ease of use:

- Changed the Handlebar to that of Yamaha RD 350,
- Got the Easy-clutch from Prospec,
- Installed HDT Customs rear footrests for the pillion
- Powder coated the engine covers.

Haven't changed the seat yet as I have found it to be pretty comfortable on long tours too. The bike has not given me any major troubles in these 22 months but the things that got replaced under warranty were the fogging meters and both bend pipes.

The one major issue I found with this bike is the puncture. Its a beast to move when the rear tyre gets punctured. I have faced 2 punctures so far and so I am seriously thinking of going for 17 inch alloys rather than installing the tubeless conversion kits as the options for tubeless tyres are very scarce in 18 inches. But haven't decided on this yet.

Yes you said it right, the customization options on this bike are endless. It gives a feel of a much bigger class bike whenever I ride it and it has the biggest advantage of affordability and exclusivity.

Also this is one of the bikes which is very famous outside of India too. Thailand and Brazil guys have gone bonkers with the customization of the 650 twins, the British have the classy take on it and have customized likewise, old school classic customizations, modern customizations etc and this is good because after some years the bike can be changed to look different too. Hence for me I feel it will keep me engaged for years.

That said, one of our fellow riders has recently bought a Xpulse and it sure is a fun machine too. It has very good suspension, road presence, comfort and versatility. I would strongly suggest you to take a test ride of Xpulse too.

All the best !

Last edited by The Great : 9th December 2021 at 16:13.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I was in the same dilemma a few years ago.
I just turned 41 and I am loving every bit of owning the Interceptor since Feb 2020. Got a BS6 Baker Express.

The main changes I have done to adapt the bike to my body structure and ease of use:

- Changed the Handlebar to that of Yamaha RD 350
Can you please post a picture of the bike with the RD handlebar? I’ve put the Jawa handlebar, but curious to see how the RD ones look.
nTorq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RE 350 meteor:- Thought not in my bucket list initially, Sales executive insisted on a TD after I pointed issues with interceptor. However this bike left me impressed. The ergonomics are sorted and speedo console has all the requisite information. The large screen keeps away the wind blast. This bike actually has every thing I am looking for except the exclusivity. It’s way too common on the roads.
Bravo82in, I can sense your confusion and frustration due to your back and shoulder issues. I wish you happy, safe riding as long as you choose.

Please read your own post (read it a few times if necessary) on the RE 350 Meteor which I have quoted above, it’s the ONLY bike you yourself say “has everything you are looking for” except exclusivity. I would strongly advice you to forget about exclusivity, why are you bothering about it!!!

Just buy the RE Meteor and get back to riding. Forget about exclusivity, you are buying this to make yourself happy, do not bother about world perception.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:21   #14
BHPian

I am around 170cm and able to handle Interceptor with ease. Yes, it is oddly heavy bike but only during pulling backward using feet. You need two modification
1: GT Touring Seat
2: Good Handlebar raiser.
3: Optional (rider foot-peg shifter)

Go for the one which you liked most. All the motorcycles are equally good - Meteor, Honda CB350 and RE650.

Thanks

Last edited by DDIS_RE650 : 9th December 2021 at 17:36.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 22:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buy whatever you can get serviced easily and around your place.

- On comfort the Classic 350 scores better than the Meteor since the laid back stance means the pothole hits will be felt in the back more than normal due to the stance and lesser suspension travel.

- Wildcard entries could be the RR310 and the RTR200 4V but with adjustable suspension. Although I doubt if you'll like the riding stance but worth throwing a leg over at the showroom.

- Exclusivity is a big limitation in your use case and budget but one way to have both exclusivity and comfort is to get an Adv, while being somewhat exclusive will be as comfortable you could get with their relaxed stance and larger wheels with greater suspension travel.
TD the following :
- XPulse 200 4V
- RE Himalayan
- Stay away from the KTMs, they're stiffly sprung.

In case you want to dial down on your exclusivity do check out these :
- RTR 200 4V with adjustable suspension
- The new Pulsar N/F 250
- Dominar 400
- A comfortable scooter like the Jupiter/125, Access, Activa which could also help with your grocery runs.

Incidentally most of my friends have their bikes proudly parked in their garages while its the scooters which are raking in the kms in the city

Last edited by shancz : 10th December 2021 at 22:49. Reason: mtypo
shancz is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks