Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2021, 17:29   #1
BHPian

Replacing a Unicorn with Xpulse! Which one?

Coming straight to the point. I inherited a 10 year old Honda Unicorn after my father's demise.

It’s been sometime and now the unicorn has started giving out some issues. Minor issues such as starting the bike first time of the day. Runs perfectly after that, but starting the bike is a time consuming and sweaty task; generally, the ones which we do not need at the start of the journey. This is mildly irritating.

For some time now I have been contemplating replacing the unicorn with another commuter bike. Something that can do a quick grocery run, night ice-cream rides with the kiddo, take us to the nearby family meets and office runs.
I am sure the ones who are reading will be - Activa! Right? Yes, exactly what my mind came down to as well, it’s easy! But it’s not!

Replacing a Unicorn with Xpulse! Which one?-.jpg
The first pooja of Mom's new Activa

So last month we did get an Activa for my Mom and I had to drive it to her place. It’s a quick 15 km ride from my place, so after taking the delivery, we 3 - me, mom and kiddo started the ride to my mom's place. By the time we reached, I and mom had concluded that the Activa is only good for the rider and not the pillion. My kiddo did enjoy standing in the front at the start, but just after 10 minutes wanted a place to sit which was difficult to manage.

My first need in the commuter is the pillion comfort, Activa clearly lacked in that department. So Activa was out of question.

Mom suggested replacing the Unicorn with another Unicorn. She was shocked when I told her the cost of a new one. It was a simple case of expectations vs reality. She thought the new unicorn would cost the same as it did 10 years ago, possibly a 10k increase in the cost. So the expectation was 80 – 85k, but the actual cost is somewhere around 1.2L.

So if the plan is to spend that much, it then set my mind and heart on an adventure ride.

Initially, I was planning to replace my CBR with a middleweight adv tourer, but since that’s on hold till next year (given the new bike launches) and I have to replace the unicorn now, why not replace the unicorn with a smaller adv!
And so the Xpulse comes into picture.

Replacing a Unicorn with Xpulse! Which one?-x.jpg
The xpulse I test rode.

So why a Xpulse and why not a Himalayan or a 390adv?
Both Himalayan and 390adv are way above a simple replacement. They would be an actual upgrade to the unicorn and will put them in similar category as the CBR. Simply put - consider Xpulse/unicorn are at level 1, CBR/Himalayan/390/250advs are level 2 and the CB500/Versys 650 are at level 3. So it makes sense to replace the Unicorn with the Xpulse and then next year a level 3 bike replaces the CBR.

Where the Xpulse is in the right category, it is also comfortable to ride, handles broken roads like none other(million times better than the Activa), has enough grunt, and the engine vibes are well controlled.

So it’s going to be an Xpulse for sure. Small compact – can do city and office ride, easy for those groceries and ice-cream runs, additionally now I can even explore what they call it “the un-charted territory” with the Xpulse.
Xpulse 2v is in the market and readily available where as the 4v would be launching soon, by January is the communication form the showroom.

Coming to the pricing:
  • Unicorn(would fetch) : 10 -12K (less as I am 2nd owner as per the RC)
  • Xpulse 2V : 150k – 5k(discount) = 145k
  • Xpulse 4v : 156k + 4k(price hike next year) = 160k

The 4V would have additional torque power and smoothness; however it would cost me more than what I would get for the unicorn. Plus the discount that I am getting on the 2v means I can put on some accessories on the bike, a crash guard or aux lights may be.

My mind says “Go for the 2V as the 4V is simply not worth the additional cost”.
My heart says, “Wait for the 4v, but also want a new bike, err let mind take the call!

Now that the heart is kind of agreeing to the mind, mind is confused! Mind says “I have got you till the xpulse, you decide what to do, 2V or 4V, that you decide!”

Basically, please help me decide.
Should I go ahead and take the 2v or book the 4V!?

Last edited by iamahunter : 4th December 2021 at 17:33.
iamahunter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing a Unicorn with Xpulse! Which one?

Would suggest to go with the newer 4V.
The 15k difference for the 4V is ok since there would be some issues addressed as well as the performance improvement.

The only way I would suggest the 2V is if the delivery estimates are not confirmed and you need s bike soon.
I am quite surprised that they haven't started delivering yet, so a genuine concern over delays.

Last edited by shancz : 4th December 2021 at 19:41. Reason: format
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 22:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion: wait for the 4V launch, try out both versions back-to-back, and then decide. May be you will like the 4V more. If you buy the 2V now, and then find the 4V was better - cant change the bike at that point, isnt it.
condor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 23:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Should I go ahead and take the 2v or book the 4V!?
You intend to keep it as long as the unicorn? If yes, 4V is a no-brainer really. More than the bump in power/torque what I notice everyone praise is the smoothness. And the increased rear sprocket size apparently has improved the pickup as well which would help in your intra-city commutes. 15k will seem well worth it in the long run IMHO

Even I have to replace my RTR160 turning 14 this month and if I don’t end up with one of those level-2 advs(by your definition), Xpulse 4v is my choice for lateral upgrade/replacement specially considering the road conditions around where I stay. Even at 1.6L I find it great VFM.

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th December 2021 at 00:10.
SoumenD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 13:11   #5

I understand you have already decided on the upgrade. But I can share my experience when I was in same boat last year. I have 16 years old Honda unicorn(2005) which is my first bike.
I was also thinking of upgrade since it's too old and there was just urge to have new bike.

Finally I decided to re-register my bike and continue using it. Reasons for my decision:
- I was not facing any major issues with my unicorn, there was no maintenance except regular servicing
- My use was only for gym and nearby rides with family for ice-cream, snacks
- Any new bike wouldn't bring much value to my use of bike
- Spent 1-2K on servicing and it rides like new bike.
- I couldn't justify myself the need of an upgrade based on my use.
sachinb4u is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 19:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hey iamahunter, if you are open to used options then there's a 2020 Xpulse 2V which has run only ~4000 kms for 1.2 L on Classifieds. Another benefit is that it's owned by a BHPian.

Take a look here:
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...o/Xpulse.html/

Last edited by HumbleBee : 5th December 2021 at 19:45.
HumbleBee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 02:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My suggestion: wait for the 4V launch, try out both versions back-to-back, and then decide. May be you will like the 4V more. If you buy the 2V now, and then find the 4V was better - cant change the bike at that point, isnt it.
Exactly what I was planning, only reason for this post - I am not sure if there will be any stock available for the 2V post the launch of 4V.
I do not have any concrete information but I don't think Hero plans to sell them side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinb4u View Post
I understand you have already decided on the upgrade. But I can share my experience when I was in same boat last year. I have 16 years old Honda unicorn(2005) which is my first bike.
I was also thinking of upgrade since it's too old and there was just urge to have new bike.

Finally I decided to re-register my bike and continue using it. Reasons for my decision:
- I was not facing any major issues with my unicorn, there was no maintenance except regular servicing
- My use was only for gym and nearby rides with family for ice-cream, snacks
- Any new bike wouldn't bring much value to my use of bike
- I couldn't justify myself the need of an upgrade based on my use.
Totally with you, I also tried the same - I have spent a couple of grands on fixing the basic issues - Changed the oil to Motul, shocks restored, disc brake pads changed, carburetor and running parts serviced and changed as needed(let me know if I have missed anything important). My trusty old bloke mechanic tells me that this is a know issue with Unicorns.

For me, the bike is not a daily run, I usually alternated between the Unicorn and CBR.
However, I am simply tired of the mammoth task of starting the bike whenever I need. I would walk to the place I intend to go in the time the bike gets going normally. The missus, she's not complaining, but after 9 years of relation, I can atleast understand "that" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Hey iamahunter, if you are open to used options then there's a 2020 Xpulse 2V which has run only ~4000 kms for 1.2 L on Classifieds. Another benefit is that it's owned by a BHPian.

Take a look here:
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...o/Xpulse.html/
Thanks mate, would contact the bloke. He's changed a couple of things on the bike, would prefer to take a look at it personally if the changes suit me.
Also at 1.20 L(non-negotiable), isn't that a little high for what's 1.45L new?
Number of owner on RC make a huge difference - learnt it recently with the unicorn -what could have been a 20k resale value(for 1st owner), is down to 10k.

Last edited by iamahunter : 6th December 2021 at 02:42.
Old 6th December 2021, 09:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinb4u View Post
Completely agree, I dont think the Xpulse is an upgrade over the unicorn except the suspension part. I would say that the unicorn is a very stable bike on the highways also, dont know about the Xpulse.

Spend 10k on your bike and it will be good for another 2 years. The unicorn has had a life of almost 15 years now, get the "newer" parts to replace so that it looks a little young (Tank, stickering, etc)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Also at 1.20 L(non-negotiable), isn't that a little high for what's 1.45L new?
True, according to me anything between 1.07 L to 1.13 L would have been perfect

Quote:
Number of owner on RC make a huge difference - learnt it recently with the unicorn -what could have been a 20k resale value(for 1st owner), is down to 10k.
If you plan to keep your motorcycle for 10 years or more then I would recommend not to look at the resale value.

P.S: Have a look at the Xpulse 4V reviews

The Xpulse 4V will be better on highways and the headlights are improved too.(Headlights was one of the weak point on the 2V). I think the Xpulse 4V would be your best bet I think the 4V would be a bit better on highways and it has better headlights too. I think the 4V would be the best bet.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2021 at 17:41. Reason: As requested
HumbleBee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:39   #10
BHPian

First of all, Xpulse is a good choice, mate

Now coming to 2V or 4V, Condor gave you a pretty neat step-by-step guide to choose:

1. Wait for 4V's to hit showroom for test drives
2. Test drive 2V and 4V back to back, esp. your choice of routes that you take.
3. Decide and buy the one you liked.

Xpulse has a fantastic chassis balanced for comfort and control and you won't go wrong with either of them. Also you look like that person who keeps vehicles for a long time. So IMHO, a 15k premium of 4V over 2V should not matter in the long run. My personal suggestion would be 4V because of it's high volumetric efficiency, which improves the power output throughout it's rpm range. But the biggest bummer for both 2V and 4V is they both have 5 speed boxes, where a 6 speed transmission would have made those highway runs a breeze. I am not sure if Hero engineers modified the gear ratios of 4V though. Pls. check.

Cheers,
Karthik

Last edited by carthick1000 : 6th December 2021 at 12:44.
carthick1000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:08   #11
BHPian

Xpulse 200 4V reviews are out.

Major changes include revised gear ratios and a bigger rear sprocket (+7!)
Shumi seems visibly excited by how good the Xpulse has become now.

Considering the upgrades and how long you intend to own the bike, the 4V should be a better option IMO.

MadTitan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 13:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Totally with you, I also tried the same - I have spent a couple of grands on fixing the basic issues - Changed the oil to Motul, shocks restored, disc brake pads changed, carburetor and running parts serviced and changed as needed(let me know if I have missed anything important). My trusty old bloke mechanic tells me that this is a know issue with Unicorns.

Starting trouble is usually either caused by fuelling issues or spark issues. Since you've serviced the carb then check your spark plug condition. If the tip is whitish in color then it's running lean, blackish means it's running rich. You have to tune the carb accordingly. If you haven't changed the plug at all I'd suggest a new spark plug. Get an NGK or equivalent with the matching product code. Also check your battery health, see if its putting out the necessary volts. If not change it. This should usually cure any starting trouble.

Cheers
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 12:43   #13
BHPian

Unicorn is generally a trouble free bike. With a little attention and budjet, it can be brought back to shape. For that the minor issues you are facing, you need not sell it which was inherited from your dad.
Suresh Stephen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any idea what the actual going rate for a 2012/13 Impulse 150 is? I figured it would be a good beater bike that I can perhaps execute a supermoto mod on (always been a dream to own a supermoto), but when I try looking online, I find owners asking absurd prices (50-80k) for bikes that have done over 30k kms. Something in me feels like the IDV should not be more than 25k. Do people actually sell at an honest price and are they simply quoting this high or is this the actual market value for the bike?
Old 7th December 2021, 15:44   #15
BHPian

I insure my impulse for an IDV around the same value you mentioned.

But there's no such thing as an honest price when it comes to buying a bike like this. It's a niche bike that's out-of-production and the demand for it still exists. If you want one of these for dirt cheap, you'll have to get yourself a run down bike or get lucky with a seller who doesn't know what he's got.

Here's an alternative though. Buy the unicorn off OP here. Get the suspension and relevant wheel components of the impulse. They're still available where I live, so finding them in metros should be easy. Swap them out, and you'd have a fairly serviceable sumo if you're in it for the go and not the show.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 7th December 2021 at 15:46.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks