Team-BHP - Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/244398-ola-s1-electric-scooter-review-54.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aakash118 (Post 5351890)
Hi all, I’m thinking of replacing my 4 year old troublesome maestro (it had two breakdowns in last 10 days) with a S1. My usage is purely inside the town, for kids’ school duties or for going to market. Do you guys think S1 can be a good option or should I look at something like Suzuki Access? I live in a remote area and I’m not sure of Ola’s service compatibility in my area.

Aakash118, kindly go through this thread for more details on the S1. What journalists and TBHPians have found is that the Ola scooters are buggy and potentially dangerous. At this point of time, it is best to avoid the Ola scooters.

If you have to buy an electric scooter, look for the polished Ather 450X or the updated TVS iQube. Both seem to be really good options.

If you are more comfortable with a petrol engined scooter, there are lots of reliable scooters like the Suzuki Access, TVS NTorq etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aakash118 (Post 5351890)
My usage is purely inside the town, for kids’ school duties or for going to market. Do you guys think S1 can be a good option or should I look at something like Suzuki Access?

I think skip Ola for few more years until they fix all the serious issues. Get yourself the updated TVS iQube, as it is a better product and you will be able to get decent service.

Thanks for the valuable suggestions, don’t think it makes sense to go for S1 right now. Ather has no availability in my region, so will look at Access or Grazia. Or maybe I can strech maestro for one more year and wait for Ola to get better.

While there are numerous issue cropping up on the ola scooter, It would be interesting to see the number of scooters delivered so far to determine the percentage of scooters having issues. if it is less than 1-2% ola will still go ahead without acknowledging any issues but I see a red flag if it is more than 10% of the total deliveries having issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhinchak (Post 5352144)
While there are numerous issue cropping up on the ola scooter, It would be interesting to see the number of scooters delivered so far to determine the percentage of scooters having issues. if it is less than 1-2% ola will still go ahead without acknowledging any issues but I see a red flag if it is more than 10% of the total deliveries having issues.

I would probably agree with you if the issues are issues that doesn't impact the function of the vehicle or the life of the rider. But issues that are so severe and potentially life threatening shouldn't be ignored even if it is 1%. By your logic Covid-19 shouldn't have been taken seriously because the total deaths were only 0.08% of the world population

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand (Post 5352452)
I would probably agree with you if the issues are issues that doesn't impact the function of the vehicle or the life of the rider. But issues that are so severe and potentially life threatening shouldn't be ignored even if it is 1%. By your logic Covid-19 shouldn't have been taken seriously because the total deaths were only 0.08% of the world population

I totally agree with you, if these vehicles are life threatening it should be pulled. We have every right to bash up the company as we have paid our hard earned money for the purchase of the vehicle and these scooters are technically not cheap. But without the data it is very hard to confirm how many were life threatening or if it was a one off case. Similarly to Covid-19 if the total deaths were higher, we would still be in lockdown and WFH. The huge problem I see from Ola is they do not acknowledge the problem and fix it. They could have easily brushed it aside by saying it was a defective batch etc. Or given a detailed root cause analysis bringing back the faith instead they just go radio silent on any issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 5351682)
Will anyone ask their wife to get off and push the scooter up a slope?

Happened to me brother on the second day of the vehicle being delivered. I've written my travails somewhere earlier in this thread.
The technician visited home and performed a sync all the batteries and the range drop now is not significant though I would say that I lose a couple of km every time I venture out.
A question to the Ola owners in Bangalore - have you guys received your RC Book or RC Card? My vehicle was delivered early February and am yet to receive it. I have written 5 emails to them but of no avail. Varying responses are being received from Ola Support. Here are a few of them:
- Sir your RC Card is under printing
- Sir the RC Card will be delivered next week by post
- Sir, you need to go to the RTO to collect your RC Card
- Sir our logistics team are working on this and you will get it shortly.

Now some of you might say why don't you just download the RC and store it in Digilocker. Now what will I do if I have to sell it? The buyer will want the RC for sure. So there's the issue.
Rgds, Balaji

Bhavish shows indigenous made Li-ion battery cell.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20220711174619_twitter.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bsimhan (Post 5354684)
A question to the Ola owners in Bangalore - have you guys received your RC Book or RC Card? My vehicle was delivered early February and am yet to receive it.

I had got my RC printout (yes, printed on paper) by registered post within a couple of weeks of receiving my scooter (in early february).

Its likely that your copy was not dispatched or was returned. Just visit the RTO and inquire for your vehicle number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.jericho (Post 5351682)
These last few posts perfectly encapsulate why enthusiasts are so frustrated with Ola. On one hand, the serious issue of overheating and performance drop are still not being acknowledged or fixed. On the other hand, their leadership is celebrating victories that they may not have been a part of.

Imagine going somewhere with your better half and then finding that the scooter is limping around in Eco mode. Will anyone ask their wife to get off and push the scooter up a slope? If it happens even once, that very same evening, the Ola scooter will be on Olx and the next day a new NTorq or Jupiter will be booked!

Agree with you.

On a lighter note, it shall be you (we) who shall be pushing the scooter, not wife !!!

If we sit and make the wife push the scooter up the slope, we too will be posted on OLX along with the scooter!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikram9193 (Post 5350770)
TL;DR: the heating issue still exists, don’t buy this to ride hard two-up.

I believe this is due to the battery getting too hot. And it recognises there isn't enough power delivered to go further and to get further power it needs to be an operating temperature.
My theory is the battery got too hot or was approaching hot temps and this made the bike to not give further power and stabilise the heat in the motor. So, essentially it needs better cooling. Maybe it needs a few cut outs on the sides of the motor and battery to let in air. And make the flow of air better. Either way ,when working with batteries these companies should know how to handle the temps better.
In my books reliability is one of the top three things I look when buying anything. And Ola is consistently failing here.

In my opinion, tech companies entering auto industry is just painful. More sellers are welcome but experience matters a lot. There's a reason Honda does things so well in reliability department.

^^ The battery design and placement may have been good for the climate of Netherlands where the scooter was designed. It seems not to have been properly modified for hot Indian conditions. They probably should employ a fan for cooling, like Ather does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning66 (Post 5359277)
I believe this is due to the battery getting too hot. And it recognises there isn't enough power delivered to go further and to get further power it needs to be an operating temperature.
My theory is the battery got too hot or was approaching hot temps and this made the bike to not give further power and stabilise the heat in the motor. t.

It is the motor that is getting very hot in Ola, not the battery. Battery temperatures are always under control (around 45 to 50c while the operating limit is 60c) even when people are using hyper mode during peak summer months of April and May. But the motor is getting very hot at very high speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 5359356)
^^ The battery design and placement may have been good for the climate of Netherlands where the scooter was designed. It seems not to have been properly modified for hot Indian conditions. They probably should employ a fan for cooling, like Ather does.

As I mentioned above, the problem is due to the motor getting very hot. They need to change its location and/or add fan cooling for the motor. Ather also does not have any cooling for the battery. It has a fan for the motor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_tesla (Post 5359410)
It is the motor that is getting very hot in Ola, not the battery. Battery temperatures are always under control (around 45 to 50c while the operating limit is 60c) even when people are using hyper mode during peak summer months of April and May. But the motor is getting very hot at very high speeds.

As I mentioned above, the problem is due to the motor getting very hot. They need to change its location and/or add fan cooling for the motor. Ather also does not have any cooling for the battery. It has a fan for the motor.

Yeah I actually meant the motor. Made a blunder.
A fan of maybe a small radiator with fans might do the trick. But this should've been dealt with.

After the roll out of MoveOS 2 software update, Bhavish Aggarwal announced the launch timeline of MoveOS 3.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-smartselect_20220716214100_twitter.jpg