Team-BHP - Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/244398-ola-s1-electric-scooter-review-43.html)

Had there been stronger privacy laws or if the company had a stronger customer focused culture, they would have given a more moderated response just enough to contain damage to their image. They could have restricted this data to only authorised agencies. They wouldn't have dared to share this data publicly in EU. Did their Privacy Policy read 'we may share your driving data to anybody at our sole discretion'!? If not, the guy may sue them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra__foxtrot (Post 5271625)
Though I wanted to begin my journey on team-bhp on a positive post, unfortunately that is not the case here. First thing first - the S1 is a gem to ride and to look at. It turns a lot of heads on the streets. The only gripe I have about the bike is the frequent rattling sound coming from the headlight touchscreen unit, the absolute lack of any features presented, a few bugs and the shoddy after sales.

Coming to the after sales, last week I had an incident with the bike wherein I had engaged the side stand and went to open my house gate. After 2 - 3 seconds, I turn back to a thud sound and to my horror the bike is on the ground. Once I picked it up, I noticed some deep paint scratches and marks on the body panel and the brake handle broken and a lot of panel gaps, which I fixed by using force. The culprit here is the poorly engineered side stand.

Update no 3.

The Good part.

Today I experienced the power of team bhp first hand and enjoyed the perk of being a BHPian.

So OLA had contacted me after seeing my frustration post here regarding bad service and offered to do the needful repair and asked me to send the vehicle to the service center ,but I was not willing to send the Scooter there after the previous saga ,so they offered to send the OLA tempo van to my residence and do the needful repairs at my doorstep which I agreed .

Fast forward 2 days later the van is here and the scooter is completely stripped off and the panels were again screwed in properly this time and they were doing it for 3 hours (suggests how many misaligned panels and issues the bike had).

The service team had one Mr.jayaprakash and one Mr.saravanan both were hardworking chaps and knew exactly what they were doing.

OLA guys if you are seeing this post know that u have really hardworking people who go the next mile for customer satisfaction .

I will let the pictures do the talking now.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220424-12.32.17-pm.jpeg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220424-12.32.18-pm-1.jpeg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220424-12.32.18-pm.jpeg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220424-12.32.18-pm-2.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by impala (Post 5303158)
Had there been stronger privacy laws or if the company had a stronger customer focused culture, they would have given a more moderated response just enough to contain damage to their image. They could have restricted this data to only authorised agencies. They wouldn't have dared to share this data publicly in EU. Did their Privacy Policy read 'we may share your driving data to anybody at our sole discretion'!? If not, the guy may sue them!

Speed data of the vehicle is anyway published by speed sensors on highway free to see for everyone bold and clear , what privacy related to speed of vehicle are we talking of ?

I too don't see a problem with how Ola responded. They've not published location data or any personally identifiable information. Driving behavior (speeding, rash driving, whatnot) on public roads is public info for anybody to record and publish (ex. dashcams, CCTV).

I think we should focus on the real problem here - young kids doing 100+ kmph dangerously on city streets with blazing fast, near-silent scooters.

Quote:

Ola Electric has said that it is recalling 1,441 vehicles from a specific batch of its scooters, one of which had burst in flames while parked on the roadside of a busy commercial area in Pune last month.

However, the firm, while downplaying the incident, said: “Our internal investigation into the March 26th vehicle fire incident in Pune is ongoing and the preliminary assessment reveals that the thermal incident was likely an isolated one”. It added, “As a pre-emptive measure, we will be conducting a detailed diagnostics and health check of the scooters in that specific batch and therefore are issuing a voluntary recall of 1,441 vehicles.”

Source: https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...oters-7884689/

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASP_73 (Post 5303511)
Speed data of the vehicle is anyway published by speed sensors on highway free to see for everyone bold and clear , what privacy related to speed of vehicle are we talking of ?

Where is speed data published in public domain tied to a user?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackMambaXX (Post 5303702)
Where is speed data published in public domain tied to a user?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/87145307.cms

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASP_73 (Post 5303740)

How is this same as publishing data pertaining to a specific user on public domain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 5302709)
I am surprised that Ola published the whole thing in public, that definitely seems a violation of privacy. Unless of course there is a clause that covers that also.

Also as others have mentioned, they quickly published this as the data was on thier side. If they really want to be transparent, then they should have published data analytics of the other reported issues also.

They have not published any sensitive data. No name, no address, no phone number, no financial data... Therefore there is no violation of privacy here. Rash riding would not be called a personal information I suppose.

Ola CEO Bhavish Aggarwal has revealed that the company will launch the base S1 electric scooter later this year and it might even come at a lower price than originally promised.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-20220425_113205.jpg

Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by arulpeem (Post 5303866)
They have not published any sensitive data. No name, no address, no phone number, no financial data... Therefore there is no violation of privacy here. Rash riding would not be called a personal information I suppose.

It is not about publication of data but about collection of data, that too without any hashing or mixing. How many people slow down on speed breakers is a group data but you as an individual whether you slow down or not is personal data. Making a pattern through anonymous data is behavioural study but personal driving data study is a breach of safety and privacy.

OLA having personal driving data of each customer should be worrisome for everyone. What are they going to achieve with personal data, nothing, unless and until a group pattern is formed, so they are in breach of user privacy. I would go as far as to state that OLA should be banned unless this is rectified.

There is a very good article on TheKen.com with respect to this reply from Ola. TheKen.com isn't exactly a fan of this response and juxtaposes it with a Tesla example.

That said, what if in future all accident claims are settled by the insurance agencies using such detailed data? Going 61 on a 60 zone? Insurance rejected

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitewing (Post 5303069)
I'm surprised that many members are assuming the telemetry data is accurate - this from a bike which thinks it has to backwards, when the user thinks it has been asked it to go forward. Of course the users could be at fault, if ola was kind enough to publish that data as well.

Exactly this!

We have evidence to prove that their software or sensors are buggy. And in my opinion, the graph they have published that's supposed to bail them itself is evidence to something fishy (as some members have already pointed out). It leaves a few more questions unanswered.

A deceleration from 80-0 in 2 seconds seem unrealistic! What speed are they measuring? Is it the speed of the scooter? How is it likely that a scooter decelerates to a dead stop in 2 seconds (unless it hit an immovable barrier). The data point makes sense as throttle input but that will have no bearing on what the vehicle was doing at that point. Also, if the scooter did malfunction at that point, isn't it likely that the sensors may have malfunctioned as well?

This of course doesn't automatically mean the rider wasn't overspeeding, maybe he was. However, there is no guarantee that this is reliable and hence, we should refrain from concluding anything here.

It looks as if Ola found a convenient datapoint to spin the story around (maybe for the first time around) and decided to publish it without thinking what questions it may raise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hortons15 (Post 5303537)
I too don't see a problem with how Ola responded. They've not published location data or any personally identifiable information. Driving behavior (speeding, rash driving, whatnot) on public roads is public info for anybody to record and publish (ex. dashcams, CCTV).

I think we should focus on the real problem here - young kids doing 100+ kmph dangerously on city streets with blazing fast, near-silent scooters.

I would strongly disagree.
1. Ola has no right or authority to selectively publish any individual user's data
2. Even if they wanted to, they could have simply published data related to the few seconds of the accident
3. Have they published a similar report from any other reported issues of their scooters? What about fire catching incidents?
4. What is the reliability of their sensors?
5. What is the reliability of their data itself? What if they have simply deleted the data points pointing to problems faced by the user and just highlighted selective points? Can a user independently get all the data checked and verified?
6. What is their policy on user indemnification? What if some Ola employee steals customer data in the future and starts blackmailing them?

Unfortunately, they seem to have successfully evaded all the above questions and shifted the focus on high speed driving.

Ola has manufactured more than 50,000 scooters, vahan shows only 24,000 registered.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20220425160610_twitter.jpg