Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 07:24   #421
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

You can unlock the scooter via the 6 digit pass code you have set. With regards to how much battery drain is there over an entire day of not using the scooter, it has been 2% drop.
Old 20th January 2022, 07:46   #422
BHPian

These unlock features,digital features,
e that , e this, digital that etc really bother me. I myself an engineer, started working from Java 1.1.

These over done features are always a pain in a**.

What if my office boy sees this while unlocking,?
In Bangalore, what if a person in second floor, first floor sees me while unlocking?

These digital features, no matter how advanced will never give mental peace as manual keys.
In Bangalore, if I just ignore presence of mind ten minutes, stuff gets stolen. A key in my pocket would go a long way to keep me assured that my vehicle is safe.

Can a manual Lock be added?
pogo0120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 08:45   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Did not know that the underseat storage was so BIG!
Are you trying to provide extra cooling to the batteries underneath? Seems like they'll never "real"ly run out of "juice" too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It really looks like a commercial cargo space, instead of a well designed area to keep personal items
In one of the you tube reviews, they were mentioning two full-face helmets won't fit in there. I guess, the flip up full face or open face ones may fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-fjtpzcaagaa48xq.jpeg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 20th January 2022 at 09:09.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 08:59   #424
Senior - BHPian

It really looks like a crate, instead of a well designed area to keep personal items This thread is very active. Whenever I log in there are new entries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Are you trying to provide extra cooling to the batteries underneath? Seems like they'll never "real"ly run out of "juice" too .

Last edited by Sebring : 20th January 2022 at 09:03.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 09:38   #425
BHPian

Ola is delivering from Haridwar to Kanyakumari. The promise of delivering high-performance EVs all over India is one of the main reasons for Ola's popularity along with range and price. Most people were never able to purchase EVs like Ather, Chetak, Revolt, iQube as they are not available except few major cities. In some of the states, they are not available in even capitals and major cities. Ola is delivering to everywhere in the country at almost the same time as major cities.

Demand for EVs is not limited to just a few segments of customers or price points. The entire 2 wheeler market will move to EVs much quicker than most traditional companies are hoping for. Hope they are ready for this shift.

Haridwar:
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-inkedharidwar_li.jpg

Kanyakumari:
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-inkedkk_li.jpg

Source:
Public twitter posts.
sri_tesla is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 10:47   #426
Senior - BHPian

Ola is delivering but not at the scale one would have expected

Amongst the Vahaan RTOs, the numbers till for January till Jan 19th-20th are:

Hero Electric - 4476
Okinawa - 3403
Ampere - 2574
Ather - 1019
Ola Electric - 753

Ola might be producing at 1000 per day but they are being registered at 40-50 a day. There will be a ramp-up, but as of now it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
Old 20th January 2022, 11:07   #427
Senior - BHPian

^^ How to check for brand-wise/month-wise EV registrations in Vaahan site? And how do Ola register the scooter in the respective RTOs of the customers? Is it done before delivery or after delivery? If after delivery, it is not legal to ride on the streets till it is done.

Ola EV, with it's features and at it's price point, is a lifestyle product. Like Vespa scooters. But they want to sell it in mass market product numbers. I am not sure if it will work out.

Last edited by Gansan : 20th January 2022 at 11:09.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:49   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Ola is delivering but not at the scale one would have expected

Amongst the Vahaan RTOs, the numbers till for January till Jan 19th-20th are:

Hero Electric - 4476
Okinawa - 3403
Ampere - 2574
Ather - 1019
Ola Electric - 753

Ola might be producing at 1000 per day but they are being registered at 40-50 a day. There will be a ramp-up, but as of now it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
Vahan is not an accurate way to collect total registrations especially for a company like Ola which just started deliveries and does not have old sales that will be moved from temporary registration to permanent this month. An accurate comparison will be in Maharashtra where all the vehicles need to have Permanent registration before delivery, the numbers are as below:

Maharashtra Jan 1st to 20th (vahan):
Hero Electric = 435
Okinawa = 613
Ampere = 474
Ather = 72
Revolt = 132
Bajaj = 185
TVS = 21
Ola = 334

Ola is not yet at the level of Hero Electric, Ampere, Okinawa in terms of overall sales, but they are not as low as what Vahan is showing and definitely ahead of other high-end EVs like Ather, Revolt, Bajaj Chetak, and TVS iQube. They are definitely facing issues with different RTOs and hope they improve these before the next batches of deliveries which start later this month.

Source:
https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...portview.xhtml
sri_tesla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:05   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post

Vahan is not an accurate way to collect total registrations especially for a company like Ola which just started deliveries and does not have old sales that will be moved from temporary registration to permanent this month. An accurate comparison will be in Maharashtra where all the vehicles need to have Permanent registration before delivery, the numbers are as below:
Interesting analysis. Thank you, that is a very good point. Yes, that set of numbers does look very good.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:26   #430
BHPian

Quote:

Maharashtra Jan 1st to 20th (vahan):
Hero Electric = 435
Okinawa = 613
Ampere = 474
Ather = 72
Revolt = 132
Bajaj = 185
TVS = 21
Ola = 334

Ola is not yet at the level of Hero Electric, Ampere, Okinawa in terms of overall sales, but they are not as low as what Vahan is showing and definitely ahead of other high-end EVs like Ather, Revolt, Bajaj Chetak, and TVS iQube. They are definitely facing issues with different RTOs and hope they improve these before the next batches of deliveries which start later this month.

Source:
https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...portview.xhtml
Agreed. My scooter is still on temp registration. The Kerala RTO is not processing the registration yet due to some covid related roadblocks according to my ola champion who has so far been very good at communication all sorts of timeline with me.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:51   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ola = 334
Nice analysis, as always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
Agreed. My scooter is still on temp registration. The Kerala RTO is not processing the registration yet due to some covid related roadblocks according to my ola champion who has so far been very good at communication all sorts of timeline with me.
I just tried Kerala registrations, it shows Ather-133, OLA-0.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 19:52   #432
Senior - BHPian

Saw an Ola scooter in my small town here in MH today. I was under the impression that they haven't delivered anything in here but I am wrong as per Vahan dashboard - there are 5 Olas delivered till now. Nice!
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 21:11   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sougatadas View Post
It would be great if you can share some unboxing experience and observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalash_6324 View Post
Congratulations!

1. Can you please share your mode of payment/finance?
If you've financed your purchase, what were the options, if any, you were given?
What was the interest rate & tenure?

2. Since it looks like an S1 Pro that has been delivered to you, do you think the range will decrease with the OTA update where they disable Pro features?

3. Are there any differences in build quality between the TD units and delivery units?

4. Please share the actual range you receive on one full charge.

Stay safe.
Thanks and Sorry for the Late response!

Unboxing, nothing fancy all the ordered components were neatly tucked in the Boot. Since I didn't opt for the Ola Helmets I received only the Made in Odisha Superbly Built Home Charger and a nice Storage Bag for it too. The entire scooter was wrapped in the Black Color Custom Cover, which is nice to touch, as complimentary! and over that a white color cover made of packaging foam that we normally see for Laptop and other Electronics Good. It was neatly Packaged without any damages, which I was scared of.

I didn't go for Finance Option as the rates were ridiculous to start with (19.5%) even though it can be offset under Section 80EEB

I have now completed more than 150kms and is now in a position to answer questions related to range and ride related experience.

I have sparingly used Sports and Hypermode and I must say for regular usage the Normal Mode is good enough as it can officially take you to 80+ kmph while I personally experienced 74kmph as the max, it should be the added weight of the rider that's bringing it down.

So in regular city use I am getting about 110Kms to a full charge and it takes about 6+ Hours for a full Charge (Considering its the larger battery pack, i guess that's OK for now).

The Handling is a revelation and you would enjoy it coming from something like Activa. The Brakes has a hard feeling when you engage but does the job pretty well. With the CBS in action it feels good, but ABS is being missed.

As I had mentioned during my initial Post, i booked an S1 and got an S1 Pro and at this point of time i am able to use the extra range of Pro and also the Hypermode of Pro. I expect that the Additional Features like Voice Assist, Hill Hold, Cruise Control which are expected via OTA Update for S1 Pro will not make it to mine and they will also disable the Hypermode, in days to come.

Overall Build Quality is Pretty Good with consistent Panel Gaps and no rough edges (Except the Storage Space behind the Speaker Console) and I would say its better than the TD Vehicles and if I may add its much better than the initial lot of Ather which got delivered to customers.

I am in a catch 22 situation, wherein I want the App for controlling the Scooter, as it will avoid me to enter the Passcode in-front of so many onlookers but also in fear of missing out the extra range and Hypermode of S1 Pro as it might get blocked after the Update. Well that's something eventually going to happen so I strongly urge OLA Electric Team to enable us with the App Control for this scooter. Its required from safety perspective and also for monitoring the range and usage.

They have missed out on a small sticker which can make early adopters like us go nuts. Yes they haven't mentioned the Tire Pressure that we should maintain anywhere in the vehicle. It was nice of Mr. Kumar, the Service In Charge of Karnataka Region to accept this and share with me this vital information. We need to maintain 33PSI for both Front and Rear Tires.

Got the Customary PPF wrap done from my trusted Place, the Xpert Car Care

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-ppfd.jpeg

Feel Free to ask in case you want any specific details.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 20th January 2022 at 21:21.
soumobakshi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 21:21   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post

Absolutely appreciate the effort you've put in to share the information.
Love your review and have to say, with that PPF, looks like a stunner.

Wishing you a ton of happy miles ahead.
Kalash_6324 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 07:29   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Congratulations soumobakshi. Wish you lot of happy rides on this scooter.

I think ola has played a masterstroke by giving more range and hypermode to S1 for now and saying it will be disabled in future. This will make sure more people having S1 will upgrade to S1Pro.

Since you have S1 (with S1pro hardware) you'd be the best person to answer this. Can you please tell how the vehicle is invoiced and subsidy is given. It'd be great if you can share the image of the invoice (of course with your personal details hidden).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
No we are not. Ather does not have two different battery packs and neither will S1 and S1pro. S1 will have slightly lesser usable capacity (which is good in a way)

FAME subsidy will be ₹59550 for both. Take a look at the S1 and S1 Pro price breakup at the time of announcement...

Attachment 2261864Attachment 2261863

Now if S1 customers are being upgraded to S1 pro hardware their invoice should show ₹163549-₹59550=₹103999 for the scooter.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed