Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you “nice” to your vehicles?
I am nice to my vehicles 242 71.81%
I push my vehicles for fun 95 28.19%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 23:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are you “nice” to your vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I haven't voted because I disagree with the premise of the vote or how its worded. I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive and you can be "both" vis a vis your car.
+1 Axe. I would take being nice to my car as maintaining it well, servicing it at regular intervals, keeping it spic and span (using somebody else to clean it ) etc etc. I don’t believe I am abusing my car or bike by redlining it through the gears and generally having fun as long as it’s done in a mature safe way for me and other road users.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 11th November 2021 at 23:09.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 01:16   #47

This is a bit of a trick question for me as I push my cars on a daily basis but I also always slow down for speed breakers, potholes, reckless motorists and thoroughly believe in preventive maintenance. I too have been called fast and smooth by friends/family and I'd like to keep it that way so I guess if I had to vote, I'd say I push my vehicles but they're spic and span on the outside and inside (interior and mechanically).
Autocaptive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 06:30   #48
BHPian

I have always shown mechanical empathy towards all my vehicles. I will ride/drive them with care and can say I have never pushed them hard. I am not a slow driver by any means, I do enjoy speed, usually I get to that speed in a gradual/linear manner. I am one of those guys who lectures on how to close the car doors smoothly.

Aesthetically I love and try hard to have spotless interiors but my vehicles exterior have always been messy.
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 07:50   #49
BHPian

Good thread this. Like many of you have said, I too need a 3rd option.

My vehicles are always in good condition - mechanically or aesthetically. I cannot stand the sight of a dirty vehicle. If I am away for some time and I see my bikes coated with dust when I am back home, the first thing I will do is give them a good dusting and take them for a small spin.

While riding / driving, I make sure to properly warm up and then let rip. I have a small 200cc so ripping is quite fun and not scary at all. And if you look at it, an italian tune up is actually good for the vehicle
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 09:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

This was yesterday due to ongoing rainfall on account of low depression in Chennai. If this is called not being nice to vehicles, then I think we don't qualify to own a vehicle!! Because sometimes we need to have some fun like a good food is a mixture of sweet, spicy, salty, bitter, sour & pungent!!

Are you “nice” to your vehicles?-y1.jpg
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 02:17   #51
BHPian

Glad to see that this sentiment has already been voiced by multiple other users.

What OP has posted is a nice question, but the voting options imply that it has either a black or a white answer, unfortunately, reality always exists in a gray area.

Knowing your vehicle, it's components, it's maintenance schedule, preventive maintenance and not being a miser with essential parts goes a long way in keeping the vehicle healthy than completely babying it. And while purchasing a vehicle, people often don't account for these future costs in their budget at all.

A simple thing I often tell people, good quality oil, warming it up and pushing the engine occasionally is in fact much better compared to granny driving all the time.

The human body is a biological machine as well, now what seems to be the better option ?

A.) Eating a good diet, taking care of your health, push your muscles a bit and lift weights in the gym

B.) Don't exercise, eat an okay diet, make only the bare minimum physical effort required

For us and our vehicles, the better answer for me is that it's a machine, it's built to run.
ibisbrew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 08:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

No one buy's a vehicle to not be "nice" to it, unless it's an "entitled" spoilt brat who's been gifted one by his parent or grand parent. But all is nice, sugar and spice till the first dent/prang that is; after which the vehicle and the owner really bond very well
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:15   #53
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies! Following are the conclusions I can draw from them:

1. My definition of an "enthusiast" was incorrect. I thought enthusiasts were like me, who focus more on enjoying the machine, even if it's at the cost of not keeping the machine in 100% visual/mechanical order. Based on the comments, that's absolutely wrong.

It sounds obvious now that I think about it, but car and bike lovers who are willing to invest the time to discuss cars and bikes on a forum, are in love with their cars and bikes, surprise surprise. Compared to most of the people who commented, I am not very attached to my vehicles, but that does not seem to be a common philosophy. People here genuinely pamper their vehicles as if they're a family member, not just use them as a tool.

2. Age seems to be a factor at play here too, I'm not sure what the median age of a Team-bhpian is, but given the matured discussions that happen here compared to other train wrecks, I assume it's at least 35+, if not more. Perhaps my treatment of my bikes will change over the next few years, as it seems to have for many who replied.

3. There's a fundamental difference between cars and bikes that's also at play here. Despite my best efforts, Team-bhp continues to have more of a focus on cars than bikes Majority of the replies I saw were from car owners.

Based on my relatively limited experience with cars, they need much more love and attention compared to a motorcycle. There's just a lot many parts, lot many things to go wrong. Motorcycles are very simple, they do not need as much care to keep them in good shape as a car does.

So for cars, being real nice and careful with them seems to be a fundamental requirement, if you want to occasionally take them to their limits, which is not the case with motorcycles at all. That may also help explain the bias towards being "nice".
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 15:37   #54
BHPian

Usually push my Bullet once a month, even during my regular commute I usually ride briskly, but I follow the maintenance schedule to the T

Self Cleaning: Every Week
Chain Tightening: Every 1500 kms
Oil and Oil Filter Change: Every 3000 kms
Periodic Service: Every 6000 kms
Sivacar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 22:01   #55
BHPian

I feel like my 6 year old Polo TDI must be 'feeling sad' when I am taking it to different dealerships for 'seeing' new cars.
Further, Polo must be 'feeling terrible' when we, as in my human family, discuss about getting it evaluated.
Does it relate to being 'nice' with my vehicles?
ManishSoni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 13:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManishSoni View Post
I feel like my 6 year old Polo TDI must be 'feeling sad' when I am taking it to different dealerships for 'seeing' new cars.
Further, Polo must be 'feeling terrible' when we, as in my human family, discuss about getting it evaluated.
Does it relate to being 'nice' with my vehicles?
Lol absolutely, textbook example, anthropomorphizing inanimate objects as Shashi Tharoor would put it
Old 19th November 2021, 21:20   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
1. My definition of an "enthusiast" was incorrect. I thought enthusiasts were like me, who focus more on enjoying the machine, even if it's at the cost of not keeping the machine in 100% visual/mechanical order. Based on the comments, that's absolutely wrong.
Is it possible to arrive at a standard definition for "enthusiast" though?

If I had to be objective, I'd say an enthusiast is just someone who is enthusiastic about a certain experience, but doesn't necessarily have to tick boxes in a checklist to qualify.

Lacking in some aspect/s doesn't negate the actual interest you have for whatever you have. And you don't have to know or do your stuff well in order to be enthusiastic about something. I mean, how many armchair cricketers, economists, and politicians do we all have among our own families and friends? Would you not call them enthusiasts in their respective passions?

So, I don't think the term "enthusiast" is a badge of honor or anything. It's just a convenient descriptor of affinities, a nicer sounding alternative to saying "I like bikes."

Also, it's nice that a lot of people respect their vehicles, are emotionally invested in them, and take care of them zealously. But that doesn't make that point of view any more valid than yours (and mine): of using it as a tool to further your pleasure of existence (or atleast attempt to further it.)

After all, a machine is a tool designed to enhance human experience. The human experience is the important part. If taking care of the machine like a rare pet dog is the experience you're after, that's fine. But if you think of the tool as bigger than yourself and refrain from using it as you see fit, then you're missing the point of possessing and using a tool.

That broken engine case bolt on your Duke does bother me though.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 19th November 2021 at 21:23.
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:16   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

One can be nice at the same time push the vehicle.

If nice = sedate, I am anything but nice to my vehicles.

But if nice = driving/riding in thr right gears, having mechanical empathy, not redlining frequently, being slow over bad patches of roads and maintaining the vehicle properly & periodically, I am extremely nice.

At the same time, I love flogging the horses given proper environment. Ex - After the engine and mechanicals adequately warmed up, on smooth roads which I have the knowledge where a curve would come and where a pothole could be.

I know a nice guy who is extremely nice to his Duke 390. He won't exceed 6000 rpm even during upshifting and loves doing 80-95 kmph all through on the highways. In my opinion, that Duke 390 has been destined for a boring life

What is the use in buying enthusiastic machines if they aren't used enthusiastically?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks