Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2022, 13:08   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs

Crossed the 6K mark on the odo. Got the vehicle serviced. The experience right from booking to delivery was quite average or poor. The coordination between the customer service team and the service center is non existent. Next experience would be at 10K kms, a couple more months for another ordeal.

Milestone pics

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-4000.jpg

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-5000.jpg

Missed taking the 3K odo pic and 6K was during the service and no picture was taken.

Got the Ather OEM TPMS installed. They damaged the alloys while installing it. Gift from the service team

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-20220821_125734.jpg

Warning from TPMS - overflated the tyres for a demo

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-tpms.jpg

Damage to the alloys

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-damage-1.jpg

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-damage-2.jpg

Maps fail more often now a days

Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-maps-conked.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 16:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bought an Ather 450x in lunar grey day before yesterday after trying the other Chinese kit scooters - and to be honest I am quiet impressed with it in terms of fit and finish (compared to the Chinese counterparts) but like the OP said - miles away from what Honda has made us expect. The rear view mirror's fit/finish varies from vehicle to vehicle and I had to ask the dealership to make sure they are giving proper finish mirrors. The metal part was ok - but the mirror on one of the sides was askewed. The dealership experience was excellent and they delivered the scooter at home within a couple of hours.

Have barely ridden it for 1 km - but ride and handling is something which seemed pretty decent. Warp mode has enough torque to make you smile and what came as a pleasant surprise was the reverse mode. Not entirely sure who would use it as the vehicle seemed quiet light to move around (maybe I am used to pushing around SBKs so this feature seemed good but useless at the same time).
Yet to try out most of the things in the scooter but yeah - looking at how slim it is - might need much better protection from the elements. while riding around.
Old 20th March 2023, 17:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
...and what came as a pleasant surprise was the reverse mode. Not entirely sure who would use it as the vehicle seemed quiet light to move around (maybe I am used to pushing around SBKs so this feature seemed good but useless at the same time).
Scenario I can think of is in Bangalore's usually crowded parking spaces. Other bike owners or parking attendant pushes bikes closer together, jammed up so you can't even get on your bike easily and put your feet down on the ground to tip toe and push the bike back. Not that there is no way to extract the bike, we've been managing that for decades without reverse mode. But that could help in such a case, nice feature to have.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 15:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Did a 140 km trip to Lonavala from Pune on my Ather 450X. This was the longest trip ever and we relied on Ather's charging network for recharging.

We (wife and I) left Pune leisurely around 12.15 pm. Halted once to put on rain gear, and a second time for a tea break, but the stall didn't have any tea so moved on. Reached Lonavala's wax museum (Ather Grid point) in about 1 hour 20 mins. Total distance was 53.2 km. I rode in Sport mode and had 5 km of range left.

Decided to grab a quick bike at the Mapro garden (800 m away). However, despite coming back after an hour, we realised that the scooter was not getting charged. Another Ather owner suggested to remove and replug the charging adapter which fixed the issue. Wasted another 10-15 mins here.

With SoC now at 50%, left to head towards Tiger point. 14km one way and steep climb. Went to the top, took some photos and had tea, Maggi and some corn. Came down back to the Lonavala charging point with about 12 km range left. Kept the scooter once again for charging and saw the Wax Museum.

Charged up to 80% this time with no problem. That said, with Ather now making charging paid, it makes sense to remove the 80% limit.

Left around 7.30 pm and reached Emerald resort for a top up. Decided to have dinner here by the poolside. Covered the 33.2 km distance in 40 mins. The balance 25 km to home took us around 40 mins. There was some traffic, but nothing too bad. (overall efficiency for the trip was 40 Wh/km with average speed around 45 km/h)

All in all a good trip, and I came up highly impressed with the scooter.

Had to repeat this trip again yesterday. Did the leg to Lonavala with range getting 0 at the place I was supposed to go. This was cutting it too close. The last 5% SoC degraded quite fast. I left home without a full charge and topped up for 15 mins at Emerald Resort. Should have waited 5 more mins in hindsight. The Wax museum charger was occupied so decided to move on to my destination. This was what I miscalculated.

Decided to slow charge at a friend's place to 100% using my portable charger. Came home in Ride mode with occasional use of Sport mode. This was a much efficient trip = 31 Wh/km (top speed 69 km/h and avg. 51 km/h). This was also my longest non stop trip on Ather with 55 km.

Some key observations:
1. Range on the dashboard is very accurate and reliable
2. Sport mode is the way to go esp. on fast sections
3. Headlights are terrible at night. Had to keep speed around 50 km/h for safety's sake.
4. Solid handling. Never faced an issued even with high winds. My Vespa was much more affected by wind than the Ather.

Leaving this picture we clicked once home:
Ather 450X comes home to cut fuel costs-athermuddy.jpg
blackwasp is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:55   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review, nkrishnap. I got an Ather 450X as a birthday gift for my wife earlier this year. We use it mostly for single-item shopping runs, not more than 5 km at a time.

I have a query: there doesn't seem to be any time-bound service requirement for the Ather. I checked on their support website and it clearly says, "The vehicle needs to be serviced at every 5000 km mark."

Generally with cars, the service is at 1 year/10,000 km (or 1 yr/15,000 km) but at the end of nearly a year we haven't even crossed 1000 km yet. Do you think we should schedule a service appointment?

PS>> Got an automated SMS from the dealership just now that the vehicle is up for its routine maintenance. So even more confused now!
Old 5th December 2023, 21:24   #36
BHPian

The Ather is the most capable electric scooter in the market! I don't see any electric scooter company match the quality and reliability that it offers, atleast until now. The handling, high speed ride and braking is just unparalleled.

How often did you use the regen function? It can certainly add a few km to a long journey.
Old 18th December 2023, 23:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice review, nkrishnap. I got an Ather 450X as a birthday gift for my wife earlier this year. We use it mostly for single-item shopping runs, not more than 5 km at a time.

I have a query: there doesn't seem to be any time-bound service requirement for the Ather. I checked on their support website and it clearly says, "The vehicle needs to be serviced at every 5000 km mark."

Generally with cars, the service is at 1 year/10,000 km (or 1 yr/15,000 km) but at the end of nearly a year we haven't even crossed 1000 km yet. Do you think we should schedule a service appointment?

PS>> Got an automated SMS from the dealership just now that the vehicle is up for its routine maintenance. So even more confused now!
It was a 5000 kms interval earlier and they used to sell a service pro package covering 10000 kms or 1 year. Now they have stopped this with a lot of franchises opening a 3S center.

The service bills will be way more costlier than the service pro package, given that the franchises are interested with hiking the bill value at every opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post
How often did you use the regen function? It can certainly add a few km to a long journey.
I use the opportunity to coast and use the regen at every opportunity. I certainly does add up to the overall km range.
Old 6th February 2024, 08:05   #38

Hi - great review! Thanks for the post! Basic question wrt charging: how do you do it? I mean do you get a point installed near your parking slot similar to electric cars?
Old 9th February 2024, 10:10   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
It was a 5000 kms interval earlier and they used to sell a service pro package covering 10000 kms or 1 year. Now they have stopped this with a lot of franchises opening a 3S center.
Update: I had a couple of calls with the service centre and they quite categorically told me that my Ather hasn't even completed 300 km in its first year and that I should hold on to servicing till it racks up some more miles! The tart message delivered was "Sir please use your bike! "
Old 12th July 2024, 06:22   #40
BHPian

I bought an Ather 450x series 1 in March 2021. I used it for around 13500 km. But since last 2 months, it has serious battery drain. The scooter is with the service centre since 1 week.

Now they are saying, since warranty is only for 3 years or 30k km, all they can do is repair the battery. I wonder how long will a repaired LiPo battery last? Turely disappointed.
The cost for full battery swap is 77000 Rs. I am planning to scrap it than replace whole battery.
anilntny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks