Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2021, 14:30   #1
BHPian

My Royal Enfield needs engine work | Should I repair or replace?

The Backdrop
I have an RE Electra. The bike has served me well over the last 7 years - 50k kms and has been a fantastic companion on road trips. Few of the these are captured here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...er-bullet.html (The sojourns of a silver bullet)

[Note to self - Need to update the thread with a few other memorable trips]

The bike is exclusively used for trips with minimal city riding. Due to this and Covid, usage over almost last 2 years has been very low. Recently, I took the bike for service in anticipation of a trip. The FNG told me something's wrong with crank shaft assembly and gave me a quote of Rs 20k to fix it. Although the guy is super-reliable, I still took the bike to RE service center for second opinion. Got the same diagnosis and unsurprisingly got a much higher repair quote from them.

The Dilemma
Considering this is a 7 year old bike, I see two options in front of me:
  • Option A- Give the bike to my FNG for an overhaul (including the engine). Thinking of getting a new seat, better headlamps, maybe a paint job. Tyres were already upgraded few months back to the maximum possible size within stock setup and I am super happy with the performance.
  • Option B - Sell this bike and buy something newer. Rode my friend's Meteor recently and although the refinement stumped me, I did not get the same feel as I get from my bike. Might be because of the emotional connect or I maybe because I am still stuck in the 90s. If I had to pick something today, most probably would buy something like a Himalayan, KTM ADV 390, GS 310. I have been very happy with my current bike and don't track new launches a lot. So practically I am not even sure of what I should be upgrading to. But I think it's a good problem to have considering the options available in the market today.
The monkey mind analysis:
  • Option B is going to cost me atleast 6-10X of option A
  • Option B provides me with a modern bike and would require lesser trips to the garage
  • Option A allows me to hold on to my dear bike for longer. It can also give me a flavor of owning something custom with minimal downside. Both my FNG and RE mechanic confirmed that the bike is in good shape except for the engine crank shaft assembly [I never change things from stock setup in my cars and bikes except a few functional accessories here or there]
  • Option A saves significant money

The Catch

There is an imminent relocation (within India) lurking for me once we are past the pandemic and my bike trips might actually reduce as I move to a new city. My riding let's say 2022 onwards will depend on whether I am able to find folks who are equally interested in bike trips and at the same time ride bikes that shoot as slow as my Bullet Electra

The Decision
Need to finalize on what to do in this situation. At this point, I am inclined towards Option A. Primarily because of less cost and ambiguity around the future trips.
What do you guys think? Is there another option out there that is not considered? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by warrioraks : 3rd November 2021 at 14:35.
warrioraks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 16:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My Royal Enfield needs engine work | Should I repair or replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Primarily because of less cost and ambiguity around the future trips.
What do you guys think? Is there another option out there that is not considered? Thanks in advance.
Go with option A and keep the bike since you enjoy riding it and later down the line, pick up a faster bike and keep the Electra for city use.

From the looks of it, I think the main bearing or the big end bearing is what they are referring to as crankshaft repairs. It is not a big deal from what I know of the same work carried out on few AVL's and CI 500's. The engine should be good for a long while after that is fixed.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Option A, Eyes Closed.
Just look at the prices of new RE Bikes currently!

Get the Engine Overhauled, and enjoy the ride.

I would personally prefer the Service Center for Engine Overhauling (Original Parts, Warranty on the work etc.).
abhishek46 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At this point, I am inclined towards Option A
Option C:- Wait till you find out how things pan out in the new city. Put an ad with a price covering the cost to repair the bike and see if anyone is willing to pick your bike. Sell it as is and save the repair cost. Once you figure out what will happen in the new city you have a plethora of options to pick from both used and new bikes.

Option D:- Repair and ride it locally taking option A. Once you settle in a new city if you do end up traveling more, sell this and buy a proper tourer like KTM Adventure. If I am in your shoes, unless I am travelling a lot, I will stick to waiting to take a decision o repair or sell only after moving to the new city.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 22:49   #5
BHPian

Repair and keep the Electra. The push-rod, long stroke is a gem and legacy. They just keep running. I have a UCE TB 2015 running strong at 1,17,000Kms with the engine untouched. I would say as long as you don't think something is wrong, something might actually not be wrong. I never ask the mech if something is wrong, unless I feel personally there is an issue. Hence my TB still marches on and does 90kmph with ease. Give a thought to what makes you think the engine needs work.
And any day the old school RE's can tour the world, yes a bit slow, but definitely with confidence. So to think you actually do not need a new bike for touring, if you are okay to chug along at 80kmph, it will keep munching the miles. I am keeping the TB till it falls apart in the next 9 years...which I know it wont since the old RE's just keeping running.
SidharthaN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 08:54   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Royal Enfield needs engine work | Should I repair or replace?

Would go for repairs, since you clearly love your bike. More reasoning in a thread I wrote for cars (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!), but the points are applicable here as well.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 10:16   #7
BANNED

Even before taking the plunge myself I always used to admit that a Pushrod engine is legendary in its own right, when even traditional brands like Harley Davidson is shifting to OHC and EV only RE is offering the privilege of owning a OHV in 2021! And that too for peanuts in comparison.

After you've clocked a couple of lakhs the CC fanaticism goes for a toss and you start to appreciate the finer things in life and that is when one really appreciates a pushrod.

So trust you me, DO NOT SELL THE PUSHROD! Especially not for a OHC that is like trading in a Citizen Eagle 7 for a Modern Retro Casio, only the less informed participate in such blasphemy!

P.S. Are you really sure your motorcycle needs a rebuild? I would not trust any mechanic, best to consult with a fellow bhpian who knows his motorcycles and isn't hesitant of getting his hands dirty.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 4th November 2021 at 10:18.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 13:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Decision
Need to finalize on what to do in this situation. At this point, I am inclined towards Option A. Primarily because of less cost and ambiguity around the future trips.
Mate you first need to define your purpose of retaining/buying a motorcycle. Of course retaining the RE Electra and restoring it will be much more affordable than buying a new RE Meteor. RE's (CI's) hold their resale value much better than others but not sure about the AVL and UCE, maybe the 500cc iteration does.

If work takes you to a different state in India then do remember you will have time till 1 year after which you have to transfer the registration of your motorcycle in the new state. If I were you I would get a rough estimate of restoring the motorcycle and push my decision to buy a new motorcycle by a few years. Remember RE 650 cruiser is about to the launched and that 650cc parallel twin engine is a delight.

I really loved the design of the RE Electra when it was launched way back in 2004 with round chrome mudguards, awesome front shock absorbers and a single tone flat color. I was so much in love with the design that I converted one of my Standard CI 350 to that design.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:05   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for responding and sharing your knowledge and experience. This has cleared up a lot for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
From the looks of it, I think the main bearing or the big end bearing is what they are referring to as crankshaft repairs. It is not a big deal from what I know of the same work carried out on few AVL's and CI 500's. The engine should be good for a long while after that is fixed.
I am not very adept at engine technology and hence never got into the details with the mechanics but will check whether it is related to bearings. I do remember that both the FNG and RE guys told me that once the repair is done, the engine would have to be run-in like new again - first service (post repair) at 500 km, adherence to speed limits listed in the owner's manual for a new bike, etc etc. I assume this is major work and have reservations around the reliability of the bike post the re-build. But considering this is my first bike and there is a history to be cherished here, I am tilting towards taking this gamble.

By the way, I follow your Electra thread. It's a very nice compilation sir. God speed for your future rides.
Seems you are based out of Bangalore. I am going to relocate to the city very soon, would you have any recommendation on a workshop where I can get this repair done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Option A, Eyes Closed.
Just look at the prices of new RE Bikes currently!

Get the Engine Overhauled, and enjoy the ride.

I would personally prefer the Service Center for Engine Overhauling (Original Parts, Warranty on the work etc.).
Based on your response and others, it is more of less decided that the bike will be repaired and not replaced. The only question now remains is where to get it done.
Also I have a general lack of trust with RE service centers based on my initial ownership experience. My current mechanic is great. I trust him and would have preferred him eyes closed if relocation was not imminent. For the sake of continuity and longevity of the bike's life, I am tilting towards getting the engine fixed in Bangalore so that any teething and follow-on issues are managed at a single workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Option D:- Repair and ride it locally taking option A. Once you settle in a new city if you do end up traveling more, sell this and buy a proper tourer like KTM Adventure. If I am in your shoes, unless I am travelling a lot, I will stick to waiting to take a decision o repair or sell only after moving to the new city.
Your advice cleared up a lot for me. Seems it will be a mix of option C and D. Will take the bike to Bangalore with the hope of getting it repaired at a trustworthy workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
I never ask the mech if something is wrong, unless I feel personally there is an issue. Hence my TB still marches on and does 90kmph with ease. Give a thought to what makes you think the engine needs work.
And any day the old school RE's can tour the world, yes a bit slow, but definitely with confidence. So to think you actually do not need a new bike for touring, if you are okay to chug along at 80kmph, it will keep munching the miles. I am keeping the TB till it falls apart in the next 9 years...which I know it wont since the old RE's just keeping running.
I am a big believer of preventive maintenance and with my limited/practically zero knowledge of how engines work, I do tend to rely on the opinion of workshop guys. What other choice do I have anyways
In this case, since both the FNG and RE mechanic had the exact same diagnosis and solution, that makes a strong case on the actual issue being present and what needs to be fixed.
Good to know about your TBTS and surely it deserves a thread of it's own.
Lastly you are right, I am a pretty happy soul chugging with my bike at 80 km/hr and ideally don't need an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would go for repairs, since you clearly love your bike. More reasoning in a thread I wrote for cars (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!), but the points are applicable here as well.
It was another thread on Tbhp that gave me enough confidence to buy a used car. One of the best decisions ever made. This one is just perfect for someone in a situation like mine. Thanks for the pearls of wisdom GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
So trust you me, DO NOT SELL THE PUSHROD! Especially not for a OHC that is like trading in a Citizen Eagle 7 for a Modern Retro Casio, only the less informed participate in such blasphemy!

P.S. Are you really sure your motorcycle needs a rebuild? I would not trust any mechanic, best to consult with a fellow bhpian who knows his motorcycles and isn't hesitant of getting his hands dirty.
Sir your post forced me to google and readup on the difference between a Pushrod vs OHV. Not sure I understood all the technical details but message received for sure!
Regarding not trusting a mechanic, I have a similar opinion with RE service centers. Outside that, I have been able to find a few mechanics over the last 7 years that I feel are trustworthy. It's like finding a good doctor right? In the end all that matters is that the bike remains healthy. I have read through a lot of your threads and posts in the past, so know exactly where you are coming from. Unfortunately I am not as technical as your good self, nor have access to someone who can comment on the engine condition. But thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Mate you first need to define your purpose of retaining/buying a motorcycle
As you would have noticed Navin, this situation has a few ifs and buts. The purpose itself is not very clear at this point of time except retaining the bike for emotional reasons.

Last edited by warrioraks : 5th November 2021 at 12:11.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

By the way, I follow your Electra thread. It's a very nice compilation sir. God speed for your future rides.
Seems you are based out of Bangalore. I am going to relocate to the city very soon, would you have any recommendation on a workshop where I can get this repair done?
Thank you!

A engine rebuild or big end bearing replacement does necessitate following the running in period again. That is assuming the bearing is the issue.

My mechanic has been the same since my Electra was a year old. I realized in the first year that the RE service centre's is a hit or miss and thankfully found this mechanic close to my place. He was quite famous back in the day among Bangalore Bulleteer's. Now his son's do the work while he oversees.

His garage is located off St John Road in Bangalore East,
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....6117101?hl=en
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 08:52   #11
BHPian

Do the engine work and keep motoring. I am sort of old school be it car or bikes. If it runs, why change it?. I still use my 1998 [bought it pre-owned in 2003] Standard (currently parked at my parents place within within the city and I take it out on weekends when I am there. Otherwise my brother keeps it in good use) and though it is not very practical for quick city drives (considering the ability to accelerate), I intend to retain it and pass it on to my son (elder one is about 7 years now and likes to ride with me in this). It had ran a lot and brought me home safely in almost engine level flooding multiple times and i get nostalgic with this bike a lot.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:35   #12

I think you should go for the repair. It is very easy to let go of something and hard to get hands-on it again. Do a cost-benefit analysis and if you feel it isn't too much on the pocket then go for the repairs.

I have a 1995 Royal Enfield passed on from my father, got the engine work and paint job done in 2014 and it is still running better than the newer models.

Note: Make sure the mechanic you're getting the work done from is extremely reliable. If there's even an iota of doubt then don't do it because you won't like running to the service centre again and again.
piiyush21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:36   #13
BHPian

I've traveled this rocky road, The obvious option is A, but you should choose this only if you have patience and a good FNG nearby with a mechanic you'd like to spend time sipping chai and yapping with. Of course I've been through 3 engine overhauls and you need to be pretty lucky to get it right in one attempt. But having said that, it's a fun experience if you are up to it, and seeing the bike go from loose parts on the floor to fully built.

If you love peace over everything, sell it and buy a Meteor or anything else.
anand.shankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 12:34   #14
BHPian

Go for Option A, Try a preserve a heritage.
Use it as less as possible. Because a few years down the the time, the push rod engine s will become extinct, and probably your bike might get a great vintage value
Sivacar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 12:42   #15
BHPian

If you find the Right mechanic who could get your Bull in pristine shape go with the Engine overhaul. RE's can easily outlast other bikes, provided you are willing to take pre-emptive steps wrt the maintenance.

My Personal experience with my TB AVL (1.2 L Kms on ODO and still going strong) is
1. a bit of experience with the bike's mechanical's and electricals for doing minor repairs
2. Timely & Pre-emptive maintenance
can make you enjoy your bike for years to come.

note: Due to absence of ABS and need for long service interval. I have my CB350 doing touring duty. my TB is now dedicated for local runs only.
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks