Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2023, 23:38   #841
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

I’m looking to go on a 8-10 day long trip on the bike in the coming weeks. Looking for luggage recommendations! Has anyone installed Saddle bags / Panniers on the SM? Unable to find anything concrete online which looks good and does the job on the SM.

Last edited by Abh1nav : 16th November 2023 at 23:39.
Old 17th November 2023, 00:56   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I’m looking to go on a 8-10 day long trip on the bike in the coming weeks. Looking for luggage recommendations! Has anyone installed Saddle bags / Panniers on the SM? Unable to find anything concrete online which looks good and does the job on the SM.
A friend of mine is using a pair of Rynox Nomad Saddlebags. The strap lengths are perfect fit.

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_20231117_005109.jpgThis is how it looks
aviator1101 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 16:29   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre
However, post that my knees would start hurting and I would get exhausted at a rapid phase. Anything beyond 300 kilometres was just a test of endurance.
Could you please elaborate on your experience as the Ninja 1000 is just a larger inline 4 version of the parallel twin 650? A little heavier but that shouldnt be a problem on the move.
Old 17th November 2023, 19:18   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkchokshi View Post
The bike looks, build quality is super amazing, fell in love with it on first sight, but the only issue was suspension that caused me to lose interest. I mean not sure why RE would make the suspensions so hard that ride quality gets worse and worse as you move by.
I faced this issue with my H'Ness. I bought it with a short but a fast test ride of 7-8 kms on good roads. After about 9000 kms in about 6 months, when the excitement wore out, I started noticing the stiffness of the suspension after my back started giving me issues. Riding fast on concrete roads with minor but sharp undulations made it worse. After about a month of break, changed my riding style to be compatible with the machine and poor roads (poor roads is a topic to ramble on for some other time ). Reduced the air pressure by a good 6-7 psi from both tyres and it made a world of a difference in comfort. I love that machine. Sure, the tyres will wear out faster, acceleration will drop a bit, mileage will decrease, but on the plus side the bike will start rattling later than the ones that run the manufacturer specified pressures.

Now I'm planning on having another bike in the garage. The first thing I ask in the showroom is an extensive test ride of around 25 -30 kms. If they are reluctant, I offer to pay for the extra fuel cost. The ride covers heavy traffic (low speed drivability and my tolerance to engine heating), medium speed traffic (to judge the gearing), fast sections (high speed stability), moderately good sections (bounciness and comfort) and finally outright bad patches of road (to judge GC, comfort and the range of things that can be done with that vehicle).
t3rm1n80r is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 19:47   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Now that you mentioned the knee pain issue, it set me thinking. I have a Meteor 350 since the last two years, used it extensively over 23000kms. There has been a constant nagging pain in my rt knee eversince I started riding this bike, never attributed it to the bike though, blamed my ripe old age of 58! However, since the last three weeks, I have added a Triumph Speed 400 to my garage, have ridden it for 400 kms only, but the knee pain has vanished, yesterday took the Meteor out to my office, a 50km round trip and the rt knee pain resurfaced, specially when pressing the rear brake. Today, switched back to the Triumph, no pain! I too bought the Meteor falling for the media and influencer hype, the Triumph was purely a head decision, I wanted a lighter bike, a more powerful bike and a higher bike, the Speed 400 checked all the boxes so I went ahead. Considered the Duke390 too but it wasn't 'Age appropriate' Cheers!
Yes the knee pain is real, especially under the kneecaps. The only reason i sold the bike was this only. See most of the users will say its a habit, or one have to develop a habit etc. but I had Thunderbird and used for 5 years, in past i had never experienced such issues. But with this after 100-150km it was impossible for me to go on.

Not sure now which bike I'll get, last year after SM650 launch and Rider Mania, i had made up my mind and gathered all funds for it, booked and waited for 4-5 months, by the end of this year got bike, used month and sold.... Now they have launched Himalayan, and the same thing will go again. I am not sure what kind of demand is in the market that still makes SM650 so much in demand, as i had asked one of the sales guys and he told me i have to wait for 2 months still.

I am hoping after the launch of Himalayan, they will have full stock of SM650 and a same waiting period of the marketing strategy of Himalayan.

I had booked Speed 400 as well, but the riding stance of it was a little uncomfortable for me as the foot-pegs were a little back and my height is 6 feet, so i was feeling like more lean towards front on shoulders. So canceled the booking. Now just waiting for price so i can decide between RE Himalayan or Scram 400.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th November 2023 at 03:57. Reason: TYpos.
nkchokshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 11:26   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_to_be View Post
Hi all, Has anyone tried upgrading rear suspension ?? Most of the reviews including users’ are calling the suspension very hard. There are some after market interceptor upgrades available but not sure if they would fit SM650. Please advise.
See this review of the bike. It answers your question about rear suspension. Not my video, just sharing something I found online.

SupMeteorStorme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 03:22   #847

Quote:
Not sure now which bike I'll get
Why did you not consider the Interceptor?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th November 2023 at 03:57. Reason: Typo, quote fixed.
Old 21st November 2023, 11:01   #848
BHPian

Recently gave my Super Meteor 650 for a service at RE's service centre. Now, the horn works only intermittently and there's a maintenance icon flashing on the dial.

Can I get the horn looked at by any mechanic or do I need to goto the RE service centre? Has anyone faced this issue after giving their bike for servicing?
Old 21st November 2023, 18:54   #849

Quote:
So the moral of my story is please take long rides on costly bikes. City use is fine, and you will not feel any issues. But it's when touring you will get an idea of how bad or good it is. And don't ever fall on YouTube journalist's hype.
Now that you've got the money, you can get a Meteor 350 and a Suzuki V strom SX 250. Together, they lack most of the cons of the 650.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 21st November 2023 at 21:55. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 4th December 2023, 21:57   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
Got the Viaterra Leh (70L) along with a 40L Viaterra drybag for the trip. I was looking for something robust with max space and these fit the bill perfectly. Will be sharing my experience with the bags after a few trips!
Old 13th December 2023, 10:19   #851
BHPian

SM650 owners, just wanted to ask whether it is better to configure and book the bike through the RE app or through the Dealership? Thanks.
Old 13th December 2023, 10:36   #852

Has anyone had an issue with the gaskets leaking at the handlebar yoke and the engine casing covers? I have a leak in both these places on my SM650 which is eight months old. It's run only 1800 kilometres though the entire time it's been in Bangalore City traffic. Infact the gearbox also feels a little notchy now quite possibly because it's been running mostly in first second and third gears in our AWESOME Bangalore Traffic. I addition there is also a rubbing sound coming from somewhere near the foot pegs which the service centre is yet to identify. The best part is this rubbing sound started coming in only after the last service. So I'm guessing some novice mechanic forgot to tighten a bolt or messed with ABS. Anyway if anyone has faced similar issues, please do let me know.

PS Many of you be wondering why did I buy an SM 650 to ride in the city.. Well it's more nostalgia or owning an avl Thunderbird fro 16 years than being practical and Im happy with my choice. :-). Still have the avl.
Old 22nd December 2023, 15:36   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
SM650 owners, just wanted to ask whether it is better to configure and book the bike through the RE app or through the Dealership? Thanks.
Hi, I booked the bike through there portal, booked on 10th September and the bike was available for delivery on last week of October, please remember when you go through "Make It Yours" option, it become a non refundable deposit of Rs 20000, and the dealership can't allot your bike to anyone else, so IMO it does makes the difference, despite being in Mumbai, I haven't seen a lot of fellow riders with SM 650.

More or less I believe the experience is the same in RE whether you book through App or Dealer, they have centralised the entire sales system.
udzgodfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 15:59   #854
BHPian

Test drove Himalayan 450 today (2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed). My love and respect for SM 650 went a notch up after the Himalayan test ride. It is way smoother than Himalayan 450 - can almost say butter smooth! If your usage is touring (and not offroading), SM 650 is best out there! Summary - a) engine is butter smooth, b) gears are tall, c) ride is stiffer compared to Himalayan. Post the ride, change my rear shocker setting from 5 to 3 - it made a significant difference in ride quality (should have done that earlier). Planning a longish road trip in March time-frame. Will start accessorizing for it soon!
Prashant_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 18:52   #855

I took a 500 km test drive of this monster a while back which helped me figure if I should buy this beast or not.

Here are my main problems with this bike.

1. Suspension: So far, I have not heard of any viable replacement options for the suspension. I'm not sure if RE is keen on correcting this part since it has been out for a year.

2. Front heavy : Compared to my Avenger, you can feel the heavy front, especially when making U-turns. I think if the angle of the front wheel can be changed (red line), it may help reduce the front weight. Is it possible to change this angle?

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-side-view1.jpg

3. Handlebar is far: The standard handlebar is wide and forward, so I have to stretch forward and my upper back has to open up, putting some strain on it. The blue line represents the reach. Is there a way to bring the handlebars a little closer up by a few inches and maybe reduce its span?

I loved the bike except for these 3 deal-breaker issues. And now with Eliminator pricing their cruiser at a stupid value, I am exploring the other options.
Theron_blr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed