Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 22:49   #811
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishul View Post
. The mid set foot pegs were a big help, I even stood up on them on bad roads and rode the bike standing for short distances
The backrest from Aeedea is functional but felt its not sturdy / built to last, the backrest flip screw came off a couple of times, could be difficult to build for sturdiness from its design. Hope better products (design/build) come to market in future.
Great to hear that it was helpful, Did you import the mid set foot pegs ? Or they are available in India too ?

And thanks for the backrest review, I was thinking of getting the same but got the touring seat with back rest with delivery. Probably wait for some time to see if something better comes along.
Old 21st September 2023, 13:35   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
Great to hear that it was helpful, Did you import the mid set foot pegs ? Or they are available in India too ?
From a Google search found the same item was imported and sold on speedmonks.in
trishul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:45   #813

I am thinking of renting an SM650 and riding for a day or two to get a better idea if it suits my style.
I currently ride an Avenger, so I think it should be a natural upgrade. I expect to uncover the nitty-gritty of owning one during the ride.
Apart from Royal Brothers, any other recommendations on where to hire one? RE's new rental total does not have SM650 in BLR.

Also looking for any suggestions and things to keep in mind while doing this long test drive....
Old 22nd September 2023, 15:02   #814
BHPian

Sharing an update on braking performance in rains and slippery roads. Ran into this situation earlier today - got out of it thanks to dual channel ABS!!! Was riding at around 70 with slight drizzle when a RTC bus decided to brake hard ahead of me (unsure if it was to avoid something). I reacted immediately with both brakes - and felt bike skidding for like a half a second - making me skip a heartbeat. And then it suddenly steadied and came to a halt very quickly! Phew! I am loving SM650 more and more with time. Awesome companion on the road!
Prashant_BHP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 13:18   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
After 3 extensive test rides, I have finally booked the Super Meteor a couple of weeks ago. The showroom guys mentioned that it may take around 3-4 months, but in the app it shows 7 months for the delivery!
In an exciting turn of events, got the delivery of my bike earlier this week. It seems RE has prioritised domestic demand instead of exports. Met a few other people as well at the showroom who were initially promised delivery in 4-5 months, but got it in 30-45 days.

Here are a few images from an early morning ride today!

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_7551.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_7557.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_7555.jpeg

Regarding the run-in period, the showroom guys were quite vague and just mentioned not to take it above 50-60 kmph. Even the manual just mentions max. 4000rpm until 500kms, but there’s a small problem - No tachometer!

Im currently running it at gear x 10 kmph. Max 60 in the 6th gear. Any advice on this from the current owners?
Abh1nav is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 20:47   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the run-in period, the showroom guys were quite vague and just mentioned not to take it above 50-60 kmph. Even the manual just mentions max. 4000rpm until 500kms, but there’s a small problem - No tachometer!

Im currently running it at gear x 10 kmph. Max 60 in the 6th gear. Any advice on this from the current owners?
First of all Congratulations!
Gear x 20 is probably better to get the gears worked in well for the first 500 kms or so. Recently completed 7000 kms on mine and hoping to pick up more pace with the rains tapering out now.

I got the third servicing done along with the touring seat upgrade and an early oil change though I think I'll be going aftermarket for the next service. The touring seat does make a world of difference though I do prefer the aesthetics with the split seat. Other than that the absence of the tachometer is the only thing really missed.
Prayaglele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 21:29   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During running in just don’t stress the engine in any gear, meaning no redlining (running out of acceleration) in any gear. Very important in the other direction is don’t knock the engine, meaning don’t run the bike in higher gears at low speeds. Both these will keep the health of your engine fine.

Ride normally, don’t need a tachometer to do that. The bike will show you from the sound and the way you make speed, either you are pulling it too much or babying it.

Vary engine speeds and run through all the gears as you can. Once in a while give it a little burst and close the throttle. If going for a longer ride stop after an hour or so and let the bike cool down.

Congratulations, enjoy your new baby.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 12:50   #818
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations! Love the blue and white combination! Blue looks darker than I recollect from launch pics. Happy motoring!

Had same dilemma post purchase - spoke to a senior technician from service center who had seen a fair share of Interceptors and Continentals run-ins. His recommendation was factor of 10 as well. I followed it for first 600 odd kms and then took it a bit notch up just to test it out. I find the ratio pretty good for cruising and rarely I find the need to downshift to get more power outside of ratio (very rarely pushed beyond 55/60 on 5th gear). Tractability and power at 10x is sufficient for comfortable yet spirited rides along with emergency overtakes - unless you are competing with bigger engine sports bikes on speed (SM650 is not meant to compete in that segment IMO).
Prashant_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 18:44   #819

So I finally took a test ride of SM650 ahead of the longer tour to get an idea of what to expect.
It is a beast. It felt like I was sitting on top of a charging bison!!! The sitting position is slightly more forward-leaning compared to my Avenger 200 and am hoping a bar raiser would make it a bit more comfortable on the shoulders.

The handlebar is much wider than what I am used to, so it will take some getting used to. The turning radius was good because I come from a bike which has similar ergonomics.

Turning in the throttle brought the biggest grin my face can manage. It really felt like sitting on a bison raring to charge!!

But the biggest turn-off was the suspension. I rode the bike on the same road that I commute every day to keep it as a reference point. I could feel every small change on the road. If I closed my eyes, I could draw the topography of the road. It was that bad. When I returned back in my bike, I was extra nice to my Avg200, because it never let me feel that much of the road.

I really loved the feel of the bike. But unless something is done about the suspension (RE or aftermarket) to make it feel a bit less, I may have to drop the idea.

I have been waiting for this bike for over 2 years and really hope RE comes up with some solution. Are you listening #RoyalEnfield #SM650?
Theron_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 15:18   #820

Hey guys so here is my first and last review of my Super Meteor 650 (SM 650). I purchased SM 650 on Raksha Bandhan 2023 and now sold it yesterday 22nd October. So my journey with this bike was only for less then 2 months. And I drove about 1500 KM on this bike.

Here are pics of my bike with me.
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img1100.jpg
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img1102.jpg

Before I start my bike review, I would like to add some things about the dealer as well. I bought it from Sarabhai Automobiles Ghodasar Ahmedabad, I bought Thunderbird 350x from him 5 years back so I booked from him again. But he was rude as hell, initially, I had booked the top of the line SM 650 back in April, and got Astral black 650 as he had no idea when he will get my booked bike.

Every time I asked for an update he said to write an email to the company and they will update me. After 4.5 months when he had Astral black available he called me that this was the one available and that if I wanted I can have it. So I booked it. The delivery experience was bad as well. On the day of delivery my mahurat for getting the bike was about 6 in the evening, he didn't even keep my bike ready & washed, and asked me to get it outside of the store. But eventually, we insisted him to get it done. No cake as well lol. Did I expect more or its just me? I mean I am buying a bike for 4.45 lakh almost the same rate as Maruti Alto. The costliest bike in RE store, still such rude and cold reception. So he is out of my future business.

Now about the bike - as I said, I have been riding my Thunderbird 350x for last 5 years now, and made my mind as soon as this SM650 came out as straightaway it was the update I was looking forward to. I took a test ride and fell in love with it. I also took a test ride on SM650 touring variant and loved it. But showroom guy denied giving it for a long ride atleast for 50km (which I regret the most and I should have insisted on this before booking). Immediately after getting delivery on 3rd day I went on Ahmedabad to Vadodara ride which is 200KM breakfast ride, and I was happy for the first 70km, but on coming back with the speed over 80km, the bike felt like jumping on small patches, and small patch I mean the road correction patch, not the potholes, I noticed it due to stiff suspensions the bike actually kicking back those jerks back. which was never an issue with TB350. Same time my right leg knee also started to pain, which was also unusual. Maybe that is because of my height of 6 feet. But that was not an issue with TB350.

Went to Mount Abu ride from Ahmedabad 500km (total) with my wife and same way both of us were happy for 100km and after that we really felt the jerks and knee pain on both of us, especially on the right side. And both of us were tired when we reached at destination. Breaks on the road kind of went up after 100km.

The first service experience was okay, as there was nothing much to do, and the service people knew me from my past bike so never had an issue on that end.

I never had a heating problem, as I know the big air cooled engine will have its cons, so I was prepared for it, and I know it will give heater like heat on my legs. So I was prepared for it.

But the only reason why I am posting this review is if you guys want to go with this bike or any bike for your touring, please insist the showroom guys to give long test ride, I will pay if I have to next time but I'll take a long ride before putting my money on it.

The bike looks, build quality is super amazing, fell in love with it on first sight, but the only issue was suspension that caused me to lose interest. I mean not sure why RE would make the suspensions so hard that ride quality gets worse and worse as you move by.

The lower bike height was not an issue, but in city if you are with pillion and if you are heavy like me (I am 110kg). You will bump the bottom of your bike every unusual bumps. Normal bumps you get by easily, but except for those you have to stop the bike and slowly move by, but you can get used to it, once you know. And funny thing was, my wife kept counting every time it scraped the bottom in our city ride as well.

I am not new to riding I have done 300-400km single stretch with just one break and with pillion as that was the only intention to get a more spacious bike and this one was perfect in all points, except one which is so bad, and I can't live with it. I believe it's kind of psychological as well that once you find the worst point of something you can't get it out of your mind, and ignore it. And same thing happened to me. After these 2 rides every time I rode this bike on city roads, i kept examining the stiff suspensions, and hell I was feeling each and every ups and down patches on road.

So you have to be sure if you can live with it. I could not. I know some of you will hate me for saying negative about this bike but, this is what I felt and before it was too late I decided to sell it. It was hard and I lost some money but still, I think I made the right decision. Because we go ride once in a couple of months and if that ride makes us miserable, I don't think it is worth the money spent on it. I rather take a small slow machine that makes us smile at the end of the journey, which I was totally missing.

So the moral of my story is please take long rides on costly bikes. City use is fine, and you will not feel any issues. But it's when touring you will get an idea of how bad or good it is. And don't ever fall on YouTube journalist's hype.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th November 2023 at 09:59. Reason: Lots of typos and grammar errors. Please proof read before posting. [Edit 2: Some more corrections]
nkchokshi is offline   (36) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd October 2023, 18:03   #821
Senior - BHPian

When the bike was launched and all the reviewers were calling out the suspension, I thought that after-market ones would be available in no time. So far no one seems to have cracked it? That's surprising
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkchokshi View Post
After these 2 rides every time i rode this bike on city roads, i was keep examining the stiff suspensions, and hell i was feeling each and every ups and down patches on road.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 20:18   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
When the bike was launched and all the reviewers were calling out the suspension, I thought that after-market ones would be available in no time. So far no one seems to have cracked it? That's surprising
Yes, i was talking in general that instead of relying on youtube reviews get proper ride. As i tried to get long ride from RE they denied it, triumph's speed when it was launch they denied too, Only BMW guys said yes to test for long ride for 310GS. but of course it all depends city to city and dealers.

Before selling i was searching for solution for aftermarket suspension, the only one i found was from YSS for $1250 AUD, that is also from Australian website. So that would add import duty as well. And no one on internet have tried it so didn't felt like going for it.
nkchokshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 21:40   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Here are a few images from an early morning ride today!

[CENTER
I have a question as you own the celestial variant, I have installed touring seat as an accesory however I found out they the seat moves around a bit at the front end is it the same with the OEM fitted touring seat.

Also, if anyone else have fitted touring seat to Interstellar variant can you please chack and confirm if your seat also moves a bit at the front end.
Nits83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 21:46   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron_blr View Post
A Youtuber who completed 10k on SM650 claims that back issues are more due to bad seat than the suspension setup.

Was wondering if any of the owners can confirm this finding...

Here is the video.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=CPvMF7FnYTI
The stock seat on lower variant is definately uncomfortable I rented one for 2 days to get a feel and found it uncomfortable, luckily during my delivery a touring seat was in stock and I put the same. It has made ride much more comfortable, but suspension is definately on the stiffer side and you have to be watchful else yous get a sharp jerk to the back.
Nits83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 22:20   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
I have a question as you own the celestial variant, I have installed touring seat as an accesory however I found out they the seat moves around a bit at the front end is it the same with the OEM fitted touring seat.

Also, if anyone else have fitted touring seat to Interstellar variant can you please chack and confirm if your seat also moves a bit at the front end.
Offtopic, where did you install the touring seat? I have reached out to many dealers and everyone says they do not have it available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks