Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 12:54   #1

My troublesome Royal Enfield Himalayan | In the workshop since a month!

Hey! Got to tell you that you are a writer!!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading the whole article, even though the turn of events weren't any sweet. Me being another "Junk Metal" owner can totally feel you.

I'm posting this reply to this forum hoping that atleast someone can shed some lights into my situation.

My Himalayan sleet ABS is at the service center since the 7th of September and it's not yet trouble free.

The background?
Well, I got my bike delivered in November 2018 and had faced minor inconveniences and part changes after the initial few months. So, as mentioned by the OP, visiting the service center was a monthly affair and even a daily affair at times. Lets say I had a up & down relationship with my bike for the past two years, but never something worse that stranded my at the middle of nowhere and the bike used to run, in good shape or not.

Fast forward few more months, it's the first week of September and I decide to do a solo ride to Hampi. The ride towards Hampi was smooth, apart from an issue with the rear right indicator that I faced(the indication blinking at a higher rate), which mysteriously vanished the next day, everything went fine.
Couple of days later, I was on my way back and the bike abruptly stalled. There I was, with my fears coming true, I was stranded in the middle of nowhere with a bike that doesn't start neither electrically or manually(jump start). Contacted the service center people and they came with few tools for initial diagnosis and couldn't find any. Towed the bike to the service center, 4 kilometers away, at Parampara Motors, Hospete, and was finally in the servicing bay. A melee of service men scanned and dismantled different parts of the bike to diagnose the issue, but could only come up with few doubts and maybe-s. Fun fact, they used their ECU diagnose device to check the flaw and the device said "there are no errors". What the flying Fish! I was told that I had to leave the bike for the day and extend my return plan.

I reach the service center the next day and I hear the issue is major and they are suspecting it to be on the Main wiring or Throttle assembly and it needs 9 days for the part to arrive and 2 more days to try the same on and rectify the trouble. Felt bad but had to understand the situation and left Hospete that night, leaving my bike at the service center, hoping that in couple of weeks I will get my bike back. niggle free.

fast forward four more weeks, my bike is still at the service center at Hospete, the service people have replaced main wiring harness and they say now my bike is starting but there is a choking issue prevailing and so they are replacing the timing belt. i said fine, and asked, "will I be bearing all the expenses for the same?" "Like, you know it was not due to anything wrong that I did nor an accident that caused the trouble".
He replied, " Sir, electrical warranty is over, you have to pay. But I will discuss with the engineer and you can ask for the warranty there". I raise a complaint to RE asking the same and got the automated mail telling me that someone will contact me soon.

Fast forward four more days, neither did I get a proper response mail nor did I get a call. Even the number provided by the customer care support over mail was not answered when I tried calling twice in two different days. the only people whom I had some faith was the service center guys and now they are also ignoring my calls as much possible.

It will be a month tomorrow. All I can contact is the toll free number provided in RE website or the mail ID to which if we send a mail, you will hardly get a response.

So, if there is anyone who can help me out or suggest me out on the right procedures I shall be taking to speed up the process and also make them feel liable for the issues my bike is facing since long!

Thanks in advance!
SidTellsStories is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My White Horse | Royal Enfield Himalayan Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTellsStories View Post
My Himalayan sleet ABS is at the service center since the 7th of September and it's not yet trouble free.
Quote:
So, if there is anyone who can help me out or suggest me out on the right procedures I shall be taking to speed up the process and also make them feel liable for the issues my bike is facing since long!
SidTellsStories, first off, call up the helpline, explain your predicament and ask for a complaint number / ticket number for your complaint. Secondly, send an email to Royal Enfield's customer care ID detailing the exact sequence of events with the complaint number from above. Also, list out the dates on which you have sent them prior emails, which have not helped.

Every Royal Enfield SVC will have a table with the contact details of the people in the escalation matrix. Since you are not in the same state, getting that will be difficult now. Perhaps, a TBHPian in Hospete, can pop into a local Royal Enfield store and get the mobile number of workshop service manager and the area service manager. If you can get their details, do talk to them.

Thirdly, Ive asked the mods to move your post to a new thread. Usually, Royal Enfield's processes shouldnt allow for such prolonged cases of root fixes to happen. Unfortunately, in your case it has and a separate thread highlighting the issue will come up on Royal Enfield's radar and they will move quickly to resolve it.

Lastly, Ive sent your post to someone I know in Royal Enfield. Hopefully that can get things moving as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:27   #3

Re: My White Horse | Royal Enfield Himalayan Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho
SidTellsStories, first off, call up the helpline, explain your predicament and ask for a complaint number / ticket number for your complaint. Secondly, send an email to Royal Enfield's customer care ID detailing the exact sequence of events with the complaint number from above. Also, list out the dates on which you have sent them prior emails, which have not helped.
I did call their helpline and explained my state as clear as possible. Did hear plenty of apologies from their end and later received a mail with the registered complaint ID : CAS-26xxxx31-Cxxx8 (In case, anyone can help me out further if they had the ID, I shall share it privately. Well, not really sure whether this ID has to be confidential or not . With present turn of events around me, I would rather choose not to take that risk anyway ).
Once the complaint was registered, I even sent a mail right away. I didn't get a response anytime soon until I sent them another mail 4 days later. Called up the helpline again, and then got a status about the bike and also asked them to reply to my mails. Well, isn't it too much to bear to get an update on your bike man!

My troublesome Royal Enfield Himalayan | In the workshop since a month!-mail1.jpg
My troublesome Royal Enfield Himalayan | In the workshop since a month!-mail2.jpg

Quote:
Every Royal Enfield SVC will have a table with the contact details of the people in the escalation matrix. Since you are not in the same state, getting that will be difficult now
The contact they provided when asked was this helpline number. The helpline number in turn provided me with another number to contact if I wanted more clarity. Voila! The number dialed me back to the same SVC! I guess this is what we call "Zero Information Conversation"!

Quote:
Thirdly, Ive asked the mods to move your post to a new thread. Usually, Royal Enfield's processes shouldnt allow for such prolonged cases of root fixes to happen. Unfortunately, in your case it has and a separate thread highlighting the issue will come up on Royal Enfield's radar and they will move quickly to resolve it.
Thank you for doing this. Like, seriously! A person like me, who only used to read articles here and never had the confidence in writing up a post since you all write so freaking good, came here and poured down my emotions sort of like a last resort. Guess I expected nothing more!
Many had suggested me to take the matter to twitter. Well, I didn't know how I shall brief my incident in 280 characters!

Quote:
Lastly, I've sent your post to someone I know in Royal Enfield. Hopefully that can get things moving as well.
Thanks once again! I just have no other option but to hope the same as well!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th October 2021 at 17:49. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
SidTellsStories is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 08:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My troublesome Royal Enfield Himalayan | In the workshop since a month!

Thanks for sharing, SidTellsStories! Moving your post out to a new thread so as to warn others. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google. Will add to homepage later this week .

@ BHPians, if you should spot any good post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:00   #5
BHPian

SidTellsStories really sad to hear of your issues. Hope you get a solution to this soon.

This is horrible customer service by RE! First, you have a paying customer who has a serious issue with a product that company trained technicians are struggling to figure out. To add insult to injury, the company isn't even communicating with the customer clearly.

I've only emailed Royal Enfield's customer care a few times in the last few years but I've rarely received an intelligent response - even for really basic questions about riding gear they sell online. In my opinion, if you want yourself to be heard you really need to make some noise. I think RE's customer care is so used to customers shouting at them that they're probably immune to the polite emails like the one you sent.

A few things that I'd do personally:

1. Next time you email them or talk to them, ask for your issue to be escalated. Tell them that you only want to hear back from a supervisor/manager (basically someone other than a L1 agent). Even if you don't hear back from a manager, hopefully your issue should be escalated.

2. When speaking to them over the phone, make a note of the name & designation of the person you speak to. Keep chronological notes of who you speak to and what they promise, etc. Helps in establishing a timeline if this issue drags on.

3. If you don't get a decent response from them within a day or two, make sure you tweet about this to RE and their senior management. Include a link to this thread.

It is unfortunate that customers have to resort to such tactics to get their complaints addressed. Says a lot about the company's work culture.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 17:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Disappointing.
I usually have experienced better service in smaller/far-off areas than the big cities but this is quite weird.
You didn't have any choice either.

The issue itself seems electrical in nature.
When I see a fast blinking indicator on a stock bike, I immediately think of electrical relays and wiring. Something similar on my Activa with fast blinking indicators and erratic starter motor action was traced down to a faulty relay.

Hope you don't have any accesories installed, if you do remove them and recheck the wiring.
RE is doing a 770km south pole ride with Himalayans and one of the mods they've done is to change the alternator to accomodate heated grips. Which would also signify that the stock one can't handle a lot probably resulting in the electrical issues that owners are facing but its just a guess since I am not competent on electricals.

RE Customer service should have acted by now, don't know what are they doing after registering a complaint.
I personally know ex RE owners who really like their motorcyles but the moment they think about service they all have strong opinions and words, mentioning them would go against our forum rules.

Hope your issue is resolved soon.
Focus on the electricals IMHO and Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 17th October 2021 at 17:17. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 02:35   #7
BANNED

I see some assumptions being thrown around here, so just for information's sake heated grips draw around 4~5ah of current which is quite some load hence the reason for the upgrade to alternator, beat guess is a gauge up in winding cause all modern motorcycles come with 3 phase 18 pole setups from factory and I don't see the number of poles changing.

As for the Indicator hyperflashing, it happens when there is a reduction in load for example if one of your indicator bulbs gets fused then when I turn on Indicator for that side the remaining bulb hyperflashes due to reduced load of the fused bulb.

Now coming to the OP's motorcycle, electrical issues seldom throw an ECU error code. The most sensible thing to do was to use a multimeter and test the basics rather than blindly have a go and changing parts.

Speaking of changing parts, did I just see that the ASC advised the OP that they need to change the "Timing Belt"!?!?

This is an OHC motorcycle, it doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain and how on earth do these people expect the motorcycles valve timing to go off just like that? Way too many red flags, I'd say get back the motorcycle and seek help elsewhere or DIY cause from what I understand the diagnosis being done by the ASC is below par to the point that even someone with basic Googling skills and an internet connection would do a better job.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to hear your situation, and hopefully it is fixed soon. That said my limited experience with RE SVC has been that they are perfect to do routine jobs like change oil, spark plus and air filters. The second best thing they are good at is replacing parts, and pray everything works. If it gets a bit technical they are at sea, with no clue what to do next.

Don't take me wrong, they are good people and eager to help, but are limited by the capabilities and technical know how, it is even more amusing as usually RE bikes don't have too much electrical components to begin with.

I will also probably shift to a FNG once warranty is over, as the bike will be better serviced and maintained in that case.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:55   #9

Thank you all for the response given. I shall start with what had happened since my post was up in Team BHP, what the current situation is and then I shall respond to the responses.

So, lets get back to story telling mode then, shall we?
My post was up in Team BHP and soon I get a call from the RE SVC, Hospete and they say my complaint has reached to higher levels at Royal Enfield and the visibility of my predicament is now where I wanted it to be. Have to say, you guys are the OGs!
Hours later, I get a call from the zonal manager asking me the turn of events and I tell him the same. The SVC manager was also on the line and I could hear some customer friendly approach by emphasizing the SVC manager to get my bike ready ASAP.

Finally, last week, around 13th of Oct, I hear the news that the bike is now niggle free and is ready to be taken back home.

But from my end, situation was far from over. My major concern still remains unanswered. The cause of the issue and who shall bear the responsibility and why!

I was asked to contact about the same with the zonal manager and discuss the terms with him as the SVC manager found himself in a position to not give any response for the same.
As it was the Durga Pooja week, the discussion didn't yield much either.
I check the rooms availability in Hospete and Hampi and they are all PACKED and going to Hampi that weekend seemed practically laborious!!!
I had no option but to ask the RE SVC if they can hold my bike for another week in the service center and I shall take it once the discussion on warranty reaches a conclusion. They said it's fine and asked me to get it by the coming Saturday (23rd Oct) and not sunday as the SVC is not open on sunday. I say it's fine and the plan to take my bike is postponed now to 23rd Oct.

Last friday, I receive calls again from RE. They wanted to have a deeper understanding on the same. I gave my predicament as clear as possible. The person conveyed his apologies and told me another person will contact me soon.

An hour later I get another call, a different person from RE, obviously higher up than service manager, and I had to repeat the series of events once again. Including the mail I sent, this by now was the 5th iteration and 5th person to which I shared the same at RE. This time though, along with the apologies I was also told that no product or part can be said to 100% perfect and issues might happen with different part over time.
This literally took me by surprise. They were justifying the replacement of wiring harness, timing chain, the sensors and all the issues that I was facing from the beginning as something that is possible and the company can't do anything. When asked why so much issues with Himalayan and not the same amount with the competitor products, I was assured they use the best in class parts. Well, being an engineer myself, I found the response shallow and avoiding.
I mentioned why I'm pushing for a warranty as the whole trouble happened while I was on a ride when nothing out of normal happened but the bike just failed. Adding to the ordeal, it's been over a month without a bike or car at my disposal.
I know, I might sound a bit like a cunning customer who is waiting for a freebie, but here my reasons out:

1. I have faced multiple issues with my bike from the beginning and only received an attention when it was too evident to be ignored.
2. The same set of issues that I was facing from the beginning led to the current situation.
3. The ECU clearly mentioned on diagnosis that the bike is functioning fine while the whole electrical system was failing!!!
4. The amount of time taken by RE to resolve the issue was way too relaxing and the lack of follow up on the same surprised me.
5. After raising a complaint, I got a response after demanding a response for the complaint I filed.
6. The importance of the issue was understood and was escalated after I made my predicament public.
7. It's the 42nd day today and it took more than 30 days to hear a happy news regarding the functionality of the bike
8. The main wiring harness is not expected to fail on wear n tear.
9. I still have not got a reasonable response on why the issue has happened and a guarantee on how the same will not repeat later.

These being listed, I'm still open to pay and get my bike back if I get the reasoning on the failure was due to my actions directly or indirectly.
I don't know how my reasons are shallow to demand a free service for whatever I'm experiencing/suffering.

I was told they will have an internal discussion on 18th Oct and get back with the response. I still haven't received a response thereafter, officially.

I was not planning to update here until I get the issues resolved, but I still find the process lethargic and stressful for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer
1. Next time you email them or talk to them, ask for your issue to be escalated. Tell them that you only want to hear back from a supervisor/manager (basically someone other than a L1 agent). Even if you don't hear back from a manager, hopefully your issue should be escalated.

2. When speaking to them over the phone, make a note of the name & designation of the person you speak to. Keep chronological notes of who you speak to and what they promise, etc. Helps in establishing a timeline if this issue drags on.

3. If you don't get a decent response from them within a day or two, make sure you tweet about this to RE and their senior management. Include a link to this thread.
I had taken points from your response later and thanks for helping me out. Team BHPians are amazing. Gotta say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz
Disappointing.
I usually have experienced better service in smaller/far-off areas than the big cities but this is quite weird.
You didn't have any choice either.
It is disappointing. Very disappointing. But , I'm in no position to speak against the RE SVC that handled the issue. They were really considerate to me from the beginning. In fact, I could see their helplessness in addressing the issue.
I now see where the lack of customer care issue is coming from!

Quote:
The issue itself seems electrical in nature.
When I see a fast blinking indicator on a stock bike, I immediately think of electrical relays and wiring. Something similar on my Activa with fast blinking indicators and erratic starter motor action was traced down to a faulty relay.
I don't know if this will help, but I have changed my indicator twice and the low beam bulb once.

Quote:
Hope you don't have any accessories installed, if you do remove them and recheck the wiring.
I had installed an aux lamp back in August 2019, for a trip to Rajasthan, which I removed soon after.
I have a phone holder with a charging port, which I hardly ever used. It wouldn't be an understatement if I say I connected my phone only once.
A switch to turn on both indicators, acting like a hazard light, which again is something I use very rarely.
About the same, even if that was responsible for the issue, I can't understand how the same didn't impact the battery to drain nor the every other electrical part on the bike, which was functioning just fine.
Also, what sort of an ECU doesn't warn electrical errors!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinprakas
Now coming to the OP's motorcycle, electrical issues seldom throw an ECU error code. The most sensible thing to do was to use a multimeter and test the basics rather than blindly have a go and changing parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK
That said my limited experience with RE SVC has been that they are perfect to do routine jobs like change oil, spark plus and air filters. The second best thing they are good at is replacing parts, and pray everything works. If it gets a bit technical they are at sea, with no clue what to do next.
The actions taken were inline with what you both have mentioned. They narrowed down the issue to wiring harness, changed the whole harness, Tada! The issue is resolved. Why change? "Might be some short. May be some cut. But the bike started after the changing the whole!" I don't know whom to be blamed. The service approach or their lack of awareness on the same.
My strong point is the same, even after it being an electrical failure, why the ECU is not throwing an error!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinprakas
Speaking of changing parts, did I just see that the ASC advised the OP that they need to change the "Timing Belt"!?!?

This is an OHC motorcycle, it doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain and how on earth do these people expect the motorcycles valve timing to go off just like that? Way too many red flags, I'd say get back the motorcycle and seek help elsewhere or DIY cause from what I understand the diagnosis being done by the ASC is below par to the point that even someone with basic Googling skills and an internet connection would do a better job.
Yikes! I might be responsible for this mishap here. I might have misheard it as timing belt and not a chain. So, I take the responsibility in not using my googling skill properly!

NOTE : This is my status update! The issue is far from closed. If I hear positive response and commitments from RE, I shall duly speak in favor of them as well. As for now, I'm still far away from giving 5 stars to their customer friendliness!
SidTellsStories is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 17:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were really considerate to me from the beginning. In fact, I could see their helplessness in addressing the issue.
I now see where the lack of customer care issue is coming from!
I have found the same in far off areas(around Tezpur in this case), considerate, smiling and they didn't even charge me for fixing minor stuff. They had said you're our riders have a safe ride. Informed us about the service centers on our way in case we needed.
Now that is something that tugs you at all the right places and keeps you loyal to the brand.
And this costed zero to the company, they just had to hire and retain the good guys.

I can imagine a similar situation in Hospete.

Quote:
even if that was responsible for the issue, I can't understand how the same didn't impact the battery to drain nor the every other electrical part on the bike, which was functioning just fine.
Also, what sort of an ECU doesn't warn electrical errors!?
All your questions are valid and logical but from the various issues being reported online and offline I have reached a conclusion that even touching the Himalayan's electricals could cause an electrical issue which they won't be able to figure out and ask to replace the wiring if you're lucky.

To rub salt in the wounds this is supposed to be an adventure focussed motorcycle.

Seriously, RE have to sort out these issues for good. At least tell us if the accesories are messing it up and how. No one likes their motorcycles on the side of the road or adorn a workshop.

Hope you get a resolution soon and we get an answer too, so does the Himalayan

Last edited by shancz : 19th October 2021 at 17:58. Reason: ccl
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:37   #11
BHPian

I am a bit appalled by the diagnostic ability of the RE service center judging by the experience here. The first thing to check when an engine is not starting is either of the 3:
1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Spark / current

Why would anyone change the timing chain for an engine without checking this thoroughly is beyond me. After checking the Fuel and Air, a simple multimeter is sufficient to check the connectivity between switches, battery, ECUs, fuses and ignition circuit which shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at max!

Checking for error codes will mostly not show the error if the problem is just a broken wire unless a sensor is disconnected, wherin in most of the cases the engine goes into limp mode but will start. For instance, I had forgotten to connect back the throttle body of my car after cleaning it, and the car started with a check engine light and a stutter (it has an electronic throttle body).

In my experience RE needs to improve the wiring quality as I have first hand experienced broken internal wiring especially in the areas like handlebar due to the repeated stresses and heat.
- First experience was in a rented TB500 where the bike just stopped after hitting a pothole. After pushing the behemoth for about a km, was able to find a cycle repair guy to open the fuse box as the bike did not have the Allen key to access the fuse box - another design flaw TBH, why not keep the fuse box below the seat. Thankfully the bike started after replacing the fuse
- A test ride BS3 Himalayan kept shutting off on the road. Upon reaching the showroom, it was diagnosed as shorting wires in the handlebar area
- Another TB350 test ride, bike would keep shutting off whenever I would turn it left, same issue as above
- One if my riding buddy's rental Classic 350 kept shutting off whenever he would press the brake, had to be towed in the middle of the ride.

My Apache 150 is on its second wiring harness after 1.2 lac kms and 14.5 years. I mean how hard can it be to provide good quality wiring that wouldn't break due to heat / stress atleast till 50k kms for a motorcycle that costs upward of 2 lacs INR! Also, an adventure motorcycle should have provision to fit accessories like phone charger and aux lights if not heated grips and not have its wiring blown off due to the high current draw.

I have booked a Granite black Himalayan slated for delivery in Dec / Jan '22 but keep getting nightmares seeing Himalayan issues
Grease_Monkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:37   #12
BHPian

While being empathetic to your situation, I wish to give you a contrary opinion purely from a technical side.

Even tough the general nature of the motorcycles have remained the same, the amount of complexity that goes into making a motorcycle has risen a lot. Gone are the days when everything was analog and movement was achieved by a simple interaction of electrical and mechanical systems. Now everything needs a sensor and a computer (Call it ECU if you want) to call the shots.

While ride comfort has definitely gone up, the issues, when they arise are also difficult to diagnose. I work in industrial automation and have come across problems where there are repeated failures of products while the main controlling PLC/DCS (similar to your ECU which takes inputs and outputs) does not show any fault diagnostics. Even while the operating parameters are well within the working range of the failed products and are under tight observation, there would be frustrating failures. Repeated replacement would not yield results and at the end after a lot of rubs and grudges, its often neglected points like faulty grounding, a nipped seal, wrong pipe bends which are the root cause of all trouble.

So if the ASC is not able to find the fault, there is nothing much surprising about it. Its just the fault is still lurking there waiting to strike again.

Last edited by srini1785 : 20th October 2021 at 12:55.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
- I see some assumptions being thrown around here, so just for information's sake heated grips draw around 4~5ah of current which is quite some load hence the reason for the upgrade to alternator, beat guess is a gauge up in winding cause all modern motorcycles come with 3 phase 18 pole setups from factory and I don't see the number of poles changing.

- As for the Indicator hyperflashing, it happens when there is a reduction in load for example if one of your indicator bulbs gets fused then when I turn on Indicator for that side the remaining bulb hyperflashes due to reduced load of the fused bulb.
Sorry missed this post.

- Thanks for the info, my assumption was incorrect, apologies and thanks for clearing it

- Makes sense now, never knew why did the rapid flashes occur.
Its an idiotic question and could be wrong but I have seen a lot of bikes being serviced at FNGs or adding extra lights exhibit this behaviour. So could it also be that they fix a higher capacity relay and if the extra light is broken/removed the normal lights would start behaving like this ? Or if an incompatible relay was added to a stock bike ?

Also the electrical issues being reported on the Himalayan seem to be disproportionately high, IMHO.
Do you think its mainly due to people touring and adding accessories the electricals can't handle or something else ?

Last edited by shancz : 21st October 2021 at 12:52. Reason: added question lc
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 18:34   #14
BHPian

Well, that is really sad. I really thank my stars for staying in Delhi/Ncr. I have done away with the RE service centers and get my bird serviced only at NCR Motorcycles. He also has a Youtube channel on which he keeps on suggesting many things and gives some real time solutions. Let me suggest you something. Can u courier your bike to Delhi/NCR? Or you can book it through railways and send the booking receipt to him. He can get it released and do the necessary work on the bike. Then probably, you could travel to Delhi and ride it down to your home or again ask him to book it back through courier/railways.

I know it is easier said than done. But it is worth taking the risk. But let me tell you that you will never regret it. In case you need his contact details, it is as follows 09210325810, 9911464687. The contact person is Syed Shah Alam. He is the owner. And the gentleman that you see on the Youtube is Rammy. He is owner's son.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:29   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Its an idiotic question and could be wrong but I have seen a lot of bikes being serviced at FNGs or adding extra lights exhibit this behaviour. So could it also be that they fix a higher capacity relay and if the extra light is broken/removed the normal lights would start behaving like this ? Or if an incompatible relay was added to a stock bike ?
Basically there are two types of relays, Mechanical and Electrical, with a mechanical relay if load decreses the indicator stops flashing eg. Karizma.

With an electrical relay with reduction in load the indicators start hyperflashing eg. RTR180.

Now say if I change halogen bulb in a RTR180 to the LED unit from the KTM then the indicator stars to hyperflash at an increasing rate as the indicator stays ON for longer. In this case the light has been upgraded but the LED unit consumes less power and hence reduces overall load which causes the hyperflashing.

Quote:
Also the electrical issues being reported on the Himalayan seem to be disproportionately high, IMHO.
Not a fan of RE per say, but I have to say electrical issues are the norm these days, especially when new riders get a buck load of accessories strapped into a motorcycle. I've seen some of wiring and trust me when I'd say I'd not ride said motorcycle for more than 10 kms without my OCD kicking in hard.

Quote:
Do you think its mainly due to people touring and adding accessories the electricals can't handle or something else ?
Your Charging Unit is the Tap, Your Battery is the Bucket, your Electrical Load is the Mug.

You may feel free to ignore the Charging Unit as supply is not constant i.e you get optimum output around 3k RPM at the very least.

So coming back if you have a 9ah battery, then for the sake of safety you need to ensure your total load(every thing ON at the same time) is around 9ah eg headlight max 60W i.e 60/12v= 5ah etc etc.

Now this would not make much sense when considering say a CBR250R cause it has a 5ah battery and headlight draw alone is 5ah, but the inference we're able to make is that even though the motorcycle has a good charging unit it is almost maxed out from factory, meaning every extra load you add puts direct load on charging unit, speaking of which on a different note the CBR250R is notorious for Stator issues. Hmmm... I wonder why?

Hope that clarifies things, and I'm sorry if I'd added to the confusion. If so please let me know and I'd be more than glad to simplify.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks