Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 12:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Old moped | Restore or junk it?

Old RX100/135/RD, Shoguns, KB100s, and even some Vespas are fetching good value these days.
However, the same is not the case with Old 2 stroke mopeds.

Restore it, only if you have a strong sentimental value attached to it.

P.S.
I do have an observation on the Hero Puch Manual Transmission versions.
In it's hey days, the sound of the gear shift action on the Hero Puch could be heard a minimum 200meters away.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 27th September 2021 at 12:17.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:10   #17
BHPian

If you have space, store it and let it age. When old enough, fix only what is needed to get the bike running while keeping the exterior as it is.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrao View Post
Hi everyone.
The place of storage is being cleaned out. I have a few choices that i need to decide on
1. Junk it, not worth restoring
2. Restore it , will be a fun project
3. Sell to someone who wants to restore
4. Kick the decision down the road, find another storage space

Essentially heart or head?
It depends on your end objective.
I restored mine Bajaj classic 1996 & still use it at my native place Pen Raigad when i go to Pen which is once in month.
As described by you, it was lying in junk place for 2 decades.
IMO if you are not going to use it, simply junk it.
Old 28th September 2021, 15:18   #19

Might not be true in your case, but this reminds of what is called the "Sunken Cost Fallacy". While the most logical thing to do, is to let go of it, we reason out to hold on it.

IMO, you should just junk it.
Old 28th September 2021, 17:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This was my first owned vehicle. Bought after a lot of financial hardships and struggles.

A very valid point by Karthik here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Remember one thing, you will have to consider the money you spend on restoration as if you never had that money. For any reason you have to sell it later, you may not be able to recover even half the money.

If you restore it, what ever the con's, you will have a very rare vehicle with you. Else, if you decide to Not restore, at least give it to some one who may want to restore it.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 20:03   #21
BHPian

Wow !! , The title pic in the hot threads is my Hero puch. I too stored it dismantled , hoping to restore some day but that day never came . Its still with me with all the steels parts rusted .The model I have is stepmatic , two gears but no clutch.
bullboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 19:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. Wanted some advice on restoration.
Background
This was my first owned vehicle. Bought after a lot of financial hardships and struggles.
I was a 20 year old and wanted to stop commuting by unreliable buses as they were eating into scarce time between 2 jobs and college in 90s Bangalore.
If I may suggest... Please undertake restoration if you are connected emotionally to it and no amount of objectivity or financial analysis can justify it.
Worst case scenario: Strip off all unnecessary parts, repaint and keep it as a lounge decorative, to fulfill the memories.

As another BHPian suggested - Resotration isn't rational. I second that.
Old 1st October 2021, 21:30   #23
BHPian

The two vehicles that come to my mind are Mofa and Hero Puch which used to be affordable to the students during late 80's. I remember that the punks chose Hero Puch and lesser dudes choose mofa. Restoring these vehicles and getting an emission clearance will be a tough one as most of these are 2 stroke vehicles. Not sure, you will also need a FC from RTO which may be difficult to obtain. Its best to scrap and take some pictures after cleaning them and scrap it. I saw a Mofa being used in a Tamil movie by the hero and the vehicle was also part of the comic character

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 1st October 2021 at 21:31.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:03   #24
BHPian

Restore it !
Bangalore once had many of these little machines and finding parts or a donor machine will not be very difficult. Find a nice garage and go for it !
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 23:37   #25
BHPian

Assuming you are able to restore it to be in running condition, what will you do with it? Just start it once a month and have it smoke the mosquitoes away..? Sorry for sounding harsh, but if you are not able to even use it to errands, what's the point of restoration?
Junk It, I would suggest. Finding an enthusiast who would be interested in restoring this, can be a challenge in itself.
Old 2nd October 2021, 15:20   #26
BHPian

I have such fond memories of the Puch. My friend and I used to roam all over town on it. At one stage we used to travel with a big stone kept on the bike. Whenever the exhaust fell out we used to bang it into place with that stone. The parts etc were difficult to get even in those days. It will be a herculean task to get hold of parts now but it's worth restoring IMO. It's a unique piece of Indian automotive history. You could contact Hero, they may be interested in helping you. It was a part of their history.
Old 4th October 2021, 06:55   #27
BHPian

After a lot of thought and really hunting for someone who was willing to take up the restoration, i have decided to junk it.
1. Common consensus- not many people skilled, when i did find one who was willing to do it, he was very pessimistic of finding all the parts especially the plastic tank.
2. No real possibility of me using it regularly after restoring
3. No place to store it again

Go dear one, you served me well.
skrao is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks