Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 14:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Residents snub e-scooter owner while installing charging point | He takes scooter to 5th floor h

I think very soon we will see a company manufacturing compact smart meters which will solve the problem of charging from common electricity points in housing societies. The meters just have to show/log electricity withdrawn in KWh which will be added to the respective flats maintenance bill. A unique code for every user which is to be punched in for charging. There are more smarter options as well like a smartphone app or OTP based charging.

Necessity is the mother of all inventions and I'm sure many products/solutions will be on offer in near future.

And for very big societies/gated complexes, Tata Power is already installing chargers and I happen to live in one of those complexes.
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 17:56   #47
BHPian

Re: Residents snub e-scooter owner while installing charging point | He takes scooter to 5th floor h

My colleague who has an e2O charges his car from a charging point installed in his parking slot. Not sure if is a separate connection or whether the line comes from his apartment. This is a very big society in Hinjewadi, Pune (Life Republic, Kolte Patil).
Old 10th September 2021, 19:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
And for very big societies/gated complexes, Tata Power is already installing chargers and I happen to live in one of those complexes.
Wanted to know more about this. Is it a common setup or to each individual parking slot?

If common,
  1. How do you schedule? Who gets to use when?
  2. What are the costs like? Is there a capital cost involved for the RWA?
  3. How is it billed to you? Along with the maintenance charges or separately by
    the vendor?
Old 10th September 2021, 19:58   #49
BHPian

Just wanted to check the following to better understand the complexities in setting up a charging station:

1. Just how many types of charging pin types are out there? I believe that every manufacturer will have some difference in pin type. Add in the EV two-wheelers, I'm not sure how many types will come up.
2. What will it really cost to operate these charging stations? Some states like Karnataka offer discounts in Electricity. Typically, all EBs charge in two different rate tariffs, residential tariff and commercial tariff. Will the charging station if setup common attract commercial tariff?
3. Taxes will always be there. What is the GST that should be charged if a charging station is set up in a society?
4. Also, if a RWA wants to set up a charging station, there is no point in just putting up a slow charging station. Better get a fast charging one. I'm again not sure how many fast charging types are around.
5. If any of you have setup a charging station, can you please share the initial costs involved?
6. Also, smart charging apps are somehow in the mix. Can someone throw some light on this?

Regards,
lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 10th September 2021 at 20:00.
Old 10th September 2021, 20:19   #50
BHPian

Hats off to this person. Except for the impracticality of taking it everyday to charge at home, he made sure who makes the decisions of charging their own vehicle. Residents (welfare?!) associations can take note, stop complaining and start thinking for future. Architects and construction companies have to work on their age old designs to adopt to growing requirements of consumers and industry.

Old 10th September 2021, 21:50   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Wanted to know more about this. Is it a common setup or to each individual parking slot?

If common,
  1. How do you schedule? Who gets to use when?
  2. What are the costs like? Is there a capital cost involved for the RWA?
  3. How is it billed to you? Along with the maintenance charges or separately by
    the vendor?
I'm not aware about specifics and the chargers are yet to be installed. Tata is providing customised solutions and they are present in 40 cities according to their website. Check out the link below.

https://www.tatapower.com/products-a...solutions.aspx

How I know it's going to get installed in my complex.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...w/86061777.cms
Old 10th September 2021, 23:16   #52
BHPian

The EV charging facilities within housing colonies, multistoried buildings/ housing societies won't be that much complicated.

We need to have a prepaid EV charging card or credit card linked post paid system, or the QR code, bar code enabled unified customer ID/ user ID kind of system (just like our mobile payments wallets/ UPI) etc. The charging stations/ kiosks can have a smart controller unit. Once we show up the card (like touch enabled credit card payment)/ scan QR code or bar code/ link; then the electricity outlet of that charging station/ kiosk will switch on the power and connected EV charging will start. It's nothing extraordinary. We have the technology in place. Connect it to smart grid or some system and you will get all metering, EV analytics data, every bit of information can be made available, battery healthiness, remaining life analysis, range analysis. Yes, in India we have smart but useless brains, and within no time they will find the loop holes and start electricity pilferage.

Anyway, the payment enabled EV charging stations, kiosks technologies are already available. I have seen those in 2018-19 at my vendor's place. Few of them are in Gurgaon, also in Maharashtra.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 08:13   #53
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In a way, this does highlight the biggest threat to EVs = where the heck do owners charge? A small % of our population has a parking spot where they can install a power socket. But over 90% of the country parks on public roads and / or doesn't have a fixed parking spot. Even in the USA where there are so many public charging stations, the general sentiment is, it is best + more convenient + cheapest to charge your EV at home.

Go to Tesla's website and they say the same thing. Charge at home! The fast public chargers are more for inter-city travellers. And don't forget, public charging stations can be expensive.

As an aside, I recently did up my driveways and have installed 6 charging points , with wiring left for 2 more.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 09:35   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A small % of our population has a parking spot where they can install a power socket. But over 90% of the country parks on public roads and / or doesn't have a fixed parking spot.
And those of us with transferable jobs or staying at rented place, setting up a charging point in the parking might not an easy task every time one changes their house. I can imagine running into such difficult conversation with the landlord or the resident welfare associations frequently.

Recently, I rode a friend's new Ather and was blown away by the performance. I feel like getting one for short errands but the above concern is holding me back. I will wait until I move into my own place in a couple of years. Hopefully by then, EVs would have matured further.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th September 2021 at 09:37.
Old 11th September 2021, 09:35   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
this does highlight the biggest threat to EVs = where the heck do owners charge?
The issue highlighted here is yet another example of lack of foresightedness. The approach here by most associations would be to dig the well when they feel thirsty. Just installing cables with meters wouldn't do. They should also have an emergency action plan for possible situations that might crop up eg. electrical fire.

Taking a cue from the above incident, I can think of the following precautions/practices :

1. Charging an EV should always be monitored by someone and not done unattended
2. Adequate inter-car spacing while charging so that a fire in one doesn't damage the other(s)
3. Requisite fire fighting equipment (eg. CO2 extinguishers) always available for use in an emergency
4. Emergency power shut off in the event of an electrical fire. A remotely operated shut down switch should be available
5. Charging should preferably not be done in a basement parking (I know it is impractical but if there is no other way out, monitoring is key)
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
As an aside, I recently did up my driveways and have installed 6 charging points , with wiring left for 2 more.
What type of charging points are these? Is it a regular 15 amp output socket? Or something high end?
Old 12th September 2021, 10:31   #57
BHPian

Found this news article on the prices for setting up charging stations. These are honestly high, but may include safety mechanisms against short circuit(MCB) and electric shock (Earth leakage MCB) and apps for charging.

Quote:
A two-wheeler port costs Rs 6,000 on and a 4-wheeler charging unit costs Rs 40,000 for a standard unit. Fast-charging units start from Rs 2.5 lakh. Charging units for e-cycles cost Rs 10,000, he says.
Here is the link to the article. https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...s-7455401.html
Old 12th September 2021, 10:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I see safety as an important aspect. What safety devices did you install GTO. At the least, I think of short circuit protection and electric shock protection are needed. Also shielding of the wires and plug points against elements is key.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 12th September 2021, 18:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Now just have a look at this link below ! The U.K. is legislating to make chargers at newly built homes and offices compulsory. All newly constructed homes and workplaces will have to compulsorily have charging points. It will be the first country in the world to do so.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...336839728.html

Our leaders here have the habit of making copycat policies, based on new developments in the West.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 08:10   #60
BHPian

I am waiting for the next piece of news to be titled as "homeowner charged extra for elevator repairs after using it to move his e-scooter up 5 floors"

I am hoping the e scooter owner used the freight elevator in his building. But these type of problems are so common in residential complexes. There is that one dogooder with the holier than thou attitude who makes life difficult for the rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks