Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 19:19   #1
BHPian

Motorcycle engine dies out after covering 5 - 6 km

I have a 2003 model Pulsar 150CC. It gave me trouble free ride until 2 months back. 2 months back, its kick shaft broke and it took the local mechanic long time to fetch some internal part to make it work again.
However, since the time I have got the bike back, I am facing peculiar problem with the bike.
It would run for 5-6 kms and then stop. I need to rest it for few mins and then it will run for 2-3 kms again and again stop. And the process repeats.
It stops as if its run out of fuel.
My first suspect was air vent of the tank may be blocked. Got it cleaned, but didn't resolve the issue. Tried running the bike with fuel cap half opened, but still the issue persisted.
Next got the carburetor and fuel tank cleaned suspecting it may be water in the tank, but still the issue persisted.
Then I suspected the fuel tap. Though I could see the fuel flowing, I thought may be amount of fuel flowing is low so that might be the issue. I replaced the fuel tap with OEM one but still no good.

I am at complete loss of what might be causing the problem. Any help debugging the issue?

Regards,
Mohit
amohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:51   #2
BHPian

re: Motorcycle engine dies out after covering 5 - 6 km

Since some work on engine was done, check if the crankcase ventilation port is blocked and if there is a tube connected to it, check if it is pinched or the outlet of the pipe itself is blocked.

Also, maybe it's time to retire the bike
iamgyan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 20:34   #3
BHPian

re: Motorcycle engine dies out after covering 5 - 6 km

Do check the magneto. Might be kaput!
rascalangel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 19:22   #4
BHPian

Re: Motorcycle engine dies out after covering 5 - 6 km

Thanks for your inputs. I checked the crankcase ventilation. All was good. But still no joy.
I do not know how to check the magneto. Will take it to mechanic tomorrow to check that out. I suspect it may be the issue. My bike stood in open with its kick assembly part open for good 2 months. That may have lead to some damage to magneto.

I dont want to discard the bike just yet. Waiting for good EVs to come out. May be 2-3 more years.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 7th September 2021, 19:50   #5
BHPian

I figure you have a CDI ignition. Have that checked. You can also try to replace the spark plug to see if it helps.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 20:57   #6
BHPian

Did you check all the electricals?
Faulty fuses, loose wires and connectors ?
Does this happen when you idle the bike or running only ?

Last edited by Aditya : 7th September 2021 at 21:27. Reason: Minor typo
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 21:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
It would run for 5-6 kms and then stop. I need to rest it for few mins and then it will run for 2-3 kms again and again stop. And the process repeats.
It stops as if its run out of fuel.
Since you've already checked the fueling, I have some guesses :
1. Since its raining, check if pushing the key to the ignition position makes it start when it shuts down, spray in some WD40 in the key cylinder and the switches(engine kill, lights etc.) anyway.

2. Ignition and Electricals : could happen if the bike was left outside in the workshop, water could've seeped-in some electricals ? Ask them to dismantle what they had earlier and then check out the electricals especially relays.

Last edited by shancz : 7th September 2021 at 21:31. Reason: removed unrelated content
Old 7th September 2021, 21:47   #8
BHPian

Its the coil or the spark plug that's gone bad here. Probably its failing due to the heat.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 22:44   #9
BHPian

I also faced similar issues, tried everything from spark plug replacement to timing coil replacement.
At last the CDI was the culprit, got it from a scrap dealer, because the original part was not available at any store in my city.
After the CDI replacement I've never faced any issues.
satchit_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 10:08   #10
BANNED

First and foremost check what is causing your motorcycle to stall, when the motorcycle stalls check for spark, if it is consistent then your issue is fueling related if not then it is ignition related.

The above logic would be enough to set you on the right path, now from experience the Pulser Coil/Pickup Coil when on its way out is sensitive to heat i.e it stops working right when hot.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:15   #11
BHPian

Thank you guys.

I was finally able to resolve the issue. Problem was rust/carbon deposits on the Ignition coil terminals. I just opened it up to check if the coil is ok or not. After checking the resistance of the coil, I just cleaned the electrodes with sandpaper and applied some WD40. Put it back in. Bike has been running (not very smoothly though) after that.
Now need to get it re-tuned properly from a good mechanic and may be replace the spark plug. I dont remember when was that replaced last.

Thanks for your inputs guys. I had almost lost all hopes

Regards,
Mohit
amohit is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks