Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 19:35   #1
BHPian

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look

Prologue
It has been more than a month since I took the delivery of my Pure EPluto 7G, the washers and rear bolts holding the guards had started to rust.
Rust on any new vehicle is an eye soar as it slowly stains everything around it and ruins the look.

I was trying to find solutions for the same, local workshops straight up denied to galvanize such a small quantity. Tried WD-40 but it didn't do much. Stumbled upon rust converter from Vitarag Chemicals but there were no reviews for the same, browsed their website and then decided to contact them. Sent them a photo of my rusted bolts and asked if any of their product can help, they sent me a video in which they treated rusted bolts and washers; the process was fairly simple and quick. So ordered the minimum quantity(1 liter) of Rust Remover, Cold Blackening Solution and Rust converter(for other application). They shipped the same day and I received the products 1 day later.

Before

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490411590.jpeg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490411606.jpeg

Process

NOTE :Use gloves, safety glasses and a proper mask while dealing with such chemicals; also keep the space well ventilated.
  • (Optional) Sprayed on WD-40 then cleaned the loose rust, used 3M Shampoo and water to rinse it off.

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504241sm.jpg

• Dipping in CORODG-27 solution to remove the surface rust and other contaminants(3-5mins).

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504208sm.jpg

• Dipping in water(2mins).

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504200sm.jpg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504193sm.jpg

• Dipping in cold blackening solution(3-5mins).

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504172sm.jpg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504166sm.jpg

• Dipping in water(2mins) then drying out and soaking in WD-40(5mins).

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504159sm.jpg

Results

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490411598sm.jpg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504153.jpg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504146.jpg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504134sm.jpg

DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630490504140sm.jpg

Very happy with the initial results, I've used up around 200-250ml of both the solutions.
Total cost was : 220(Rust Converter) + 110(CORODG-27) +550(Blackening Solution) + 480(Shipping)
I was a bit disappointed with the rust creeping in so early on a new product, hope that they take necessary steps to avoid these issues in future batches.

Last edited by Venky03 : 1st September 2021 at 19:47.
Venky03 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 05:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a clean look

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 07:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a clean look

Nice DIY. I am not sure if the issue you've faced is with all stock bolts or with just those used on the accessories (chrome plated guards). The stock ones on most two wheelers never corrode since they are galvanized.

I've observed that bolts/ screws for accessories on any two wheeler are always substandard and corrode quickly. Example - the non corrosive stock screws to hold the large black plastic panel around the ignition switch and the choke lever on the Suzuki Access are invariably substituted with longer cheap screws when the body side guards are fixed. Same case with the stainless steel panel guard fitted on the foot panel and the screws/ bolts holding the guards around the body of the vehicle.

Corroded screws on the foot panel guard
DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-suzukiaccess_stepguardscrew.jpg

Corroded screw/bolt holding the body surround guard to the foot panel
DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-suzukiaccess_surroundguard.jpg
vigsom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:08   #4
BHPian

Re: DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a clean look

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Nice DIY. I am not sure if the issue you've faced is with all stock bolts or with just those used on the accessories (chrome plated guards). The stock ones on most two wheelers never corrode since they are galvanized.
Yes, the issue is mostly with the fasteners used for accessories. Here's the one from factory :
DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630553379276.jpg

But facing rust on stock parts as well:

Chrome mirror handle (Both Sides) -
DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630553489224sm.jpg

Rear grip (Both Sides)-
DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look-1630553683294.jpg

I did face rust issues on my Jupiter as well but that was after 2-3 years.
Venky03 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:35   #5

Re: DIY: Black Oxide Coating on bolts & washers for a cleaner look

Agree with you. The hardware supplied for extra fittings are always cheap and inevitably rust. I wonder why the manufacturer does not supply better hardware, considering that we would anyhow pay for it. This is a classic example of penny wise, pound foolish.

Wonderful effort.

On a side note, I just wanted to suggest that you could have gone for Stainless Steel bolts, nuts and washers. They are available off the shelf at most major hardware shops.
vmathews is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:42   #6
BHPian

Great effort but easier to just replace those crappy bolts with SS bolts. That's what I do when I find a rusty bolt on any of my gear.
shankarbn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Hi,

During the process, I can see where "CORODG-27" & "Blackening solution" was used.

Queries

1) CoroDG is the solution in the video, where the bolts were left for 5 min.
And the blue coloured solution is the blackening solution.
Is that correct?

2) But where did you use "rust converter"?
What was it used for?
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:48   #8
BHPian

Great job and a necessary DIY. What is the cold blueing solution you're using here? Everything I've found here seems to be very expensive. So much so that I've bought a butane torch to heat the fasteners and dunk them in oil.
adrena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
1) CoroDG is the solution in the video, where the bolts were left for 5 min.
And the blue coloured solution is the blackening solution.
Is that correct?

2) But where did you use "rust converter"?
What was it used for?
1) Yes the first one is CORODG and the blue one is the blackening solution.
2) Bought rust converter for a different application at my native, they said it inhibits rust and also acts like a primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
Great job and a necessary DIY. What is the cold blueing solution you're using here? Everything I've found here seems to be very expensive. So much so that I've bought a butane torch to heat the fasteners and dunk them in oil.
I was in the same boat, there were many youtube videos with the black oxide solution but was unable to find it here.
The solution I used was : VCBLK HB-18

How well did the hot-dip method work for you?
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
Prologue
It has been more than a month since I took the delivery of my Pure EPluto 7G, the washers and rear bolts holding the guards had started to rust.
Rust on any new vehicle is an eye soar as it slowly stains everything around it and ruins the look.

I was trying to find solutions for the same, local workshops straight up denied to galvanize such a small quantity. Tried WD-40 but it didn't do much. Stumbled upon rust converter from Vitarag Chemicals but there were no reviews for the same, browsed their website and then decided to contact them. Sent them a photo of my rusted bolts and asked if any of their product can help, they sent me a video in which they treated rusted bolts and washers; the process was fairly simple and quick. So ordered the minimum quantity(1 liter) of Rust Remover, Cold Blackening Solution and Rust converter(for other application). They shipped the same day and I received the products 1 day later.

Very happy with the initial results, I've used up around 200-250ml of both the solutions.
Total cost was : 220(Rust Converter) + 110(CORODG-27) +550(Blackening Solution) + 480(Shipping)
I was a bit disappointed with the rust creeping in so early on a new product, hope that they take necessary steps to avoid these issues in future batches.
I was wondering why did you not just go in for New Bolts ( all were Standard Stuff anyway) and Prime and paint the Heads in Black. With a Touch Up now and then. Or get new bolts again. Would still be cheaper than the amount you spent on Shipping of the Rust Converter.
boohooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
I was wondering why did you not just go in for New Bolts ( all were Standard Stuff anyway) and Prime and paint the Heads in Black. With a Touch Up now and then. Or get new bolts again. Would still be cheaper than the amount you spent on Shipping of the Rust Converter.
I was going to purchase the rust converter anyway for other application and for the black coating only 2 solutions were used in a small quantity; overall the pricing was very close to price of a butane torch(for hot dip) and I can also use these to treat the fasteners of my other vehicles.
Venky03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
I was going to purchase the rust converter anyway for other application and for the black coating only 2 solutions were used in a small quantity; overall the pricing was very close to price of a butane torch(for hot dip) and I can also use these to treat the fasteners of my other vehicles.
Where can CoroDG solution be purchased?
Direct from the company or any eCommerce site?

Checked Amazon etc, but couldn't find it.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2021 at 08:41. Reason: Typos fixed, posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE. Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2021, 20:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Where can CoroDG solution be purchased?
You can contact them at : +91 92656 65726 for purchasing items not listed on Amazon.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd September 2021 at 20:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi Venky03,

I really loved your DIY. Its unique, its informative and most importantly very satisfying. Though others do mention there were many alternatives, this one really is nice.

Meanwhile your DIY helped me with a problem which I was procrastinating for a while, needed to paint 600 pieces of nuts, 600 pieces of bolt, plus 1200 pieces of washers with matt black for one of my DIY projects in our garden. Considering the painstaking process of painting them, yeah a spray can do the job, but ensuring it overs all its surface will be a great task, I was procrastinating this stuff for a while. Now I dip then all in your blackening solution and lo, in 5 minutes my job is done .

You are god sent
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 09:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi Venky03,
Now I dip then all in your blackening solution and lo, in 5 minutes my job is done .

You are god sent
Your requirement is perfect for this method, the biggest pro is convenience.
Venky03 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks