Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 11:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Urgent need of a Scooter | Should I go for an electric or petrol scooter?

I have been using Maestro Edge 110 (2006 model) and recently given it to my relative thinking of buying a new electric scooter.

After searching for good and branded electric scooter, I realized that there are not many branded electric scooter dealers in my area.

There are only two dealers in my area - one is Benling India and other one is Route electric. I liked the Benling Aura but not prefer because of no underseat storage space as well as a hump on the footboard. Route electric has only low speed scooters with 250W motor which is not of my liking.

Though Very much interested to own an electric scooter, but non availability of branded scooters close to my area, I have also looked into petrol scooters and shortlisted to two scooters - The Maestro Edge 125 BS6 with BT connect and Honda Grazia BS6 2021 model.

Without a two wheeler, My daily shopping needs are badly affected (though I am using the car for all small purchases, but it is very difficult to find parking space all the time, all the places and very inconvenient to take the car out for such daily shopping needs).

What you guys think - should I go for a branded low speed electric scooter or once again purchase a petrol scooter? If I go for a petrol one, then which one you guys recommend - Honda Grazia 125 or Maestro Edge 125?

For information - I use the scooter only for shopping needs which means daily running not more than 6/7 kms.

Suggestions are welcome.
nairrk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 11:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Urgent need of a Scooter | Should I go for an electric or petrol scooter?

In your position, I would choose a petrol scooter.

- Limited dealer support for electronic scooters
- Very low running, so no RoI advantage with electric scooters
- Inherent risk in becoming an early adopter of a new technology

Last edited by Eddy : 25th August 2021 at 13:01.
Eddy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Definitely petrol scooter, the Honda Grazia 125 it should be (out of the two you mention) since you have already used the Maestro 110. Use Honda for a change

Very happy with my Activa 125 BS6 bought nine months back, only drawback - it’s boring. If you like a light, easy to flick and relatively more powerful scooter, you may want to look at the Suzuki Access 125 if available.

Happy shopping.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:16   #4
BHPian

Hi,

As of now, its advisable to go with petrol scooter as you have mentioned that there are not enough dealers or after sale facilities too.

It would take another year or so for electric scooters to catch up. With the launch of OLA scooters and bookings going on in a massive scale we would come to know about the pro's and con's of owning a electric scooter soon.

However, if your avg travel per day is over 15kms, then probably your next purchase should be an electric one.

Considering the way in which the fuel rates are increasing day by day , it remains to be seen how far it goes.

Regards,
Anees
Anees_Offl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
For information - I use the scooter only for shopping needs which means daily running not more than 6/7 kms.
So your annual running will be somewhere near ~2k kms mark, and both the ICE and electric options will cost you around 1L mark so I won't consider any RoI.
Your annual savings will be around INR 3-4k excluding the maintenance charges if you opt for electric.
Now the main questions are:
  • Convenience - Do you have the proper space and shed for charging your scooter?
  • Early Adoption - As the EV industry is still in a growing state, facing small niggles with your EV is a common sight. And there are chances that even dealer won't know what the issue is. Don't know if there are any mechanics familiar with EVs in your areas.
  • Durability - Even in the best case scenario, an electric scooter from the current lot won't last as long as a traditional ICE scooter.

I myself own an electric scooter from Pure, and have dealt with some of the irritating niggles with help from the dealer as well as bhpians.
So if you opt for an ev, ensure that the dealer knows what he is selling and that the spares are available if you need them.
Venky03 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After searching for good and branded electric scooter, I realized that there are not many branded electric scooter dealers in my area.

Suggestions are welcome.
I'm going to go against the tide here. It seems like its users like you for whom the Ola S1 with its unique delivery and support model may be a perfect fit. I'd say hold out till mid Sept when the first lot of reviews come out and if you're convinced you could book immediately hopefully for October delivery.

EVs are relatively simple scooters and the price of the Ola S1 should not be dramatically different from a premium 125cc scooter.

I'm not coming into this from a cost of petrol vs charging perspective. Just that the Ola EV may be a more rewarding scooter to own than the run of the mill ICE offerings.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th August 2021 at 17:43.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
In your position, I would choose a petrol scooter.

- Limited dealer support for electronic scooters
- Very low running, so no RoI advantage with electric scooters
- Inherent risk in becoming an early adopter of a new technology
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Definitely petrol scooter, the Honda Grazia 125 it should be (out of the two you mention) since you have already used the Maestro 110. Use Honda for a change

Very happy with my Activa 125 BS6 bought nine months back, only drawback - it’s boring. If you like a light, easy to flick and relatively more powerful scooter, you may want to look at the Suzuki Access 125 if available.

Happy shopping.

Cheers
I have both of them in my list - Besides other features, Maestro Edge 125 comes with BT connection, navigation, etc. (navigation is not at all going to be useful for me as I will be using the scooter only for usual shopping places). Whereas the Grazia do not have the BT connection feature, but it comes with a small storage place in the front (we can keep some handy items which can be taken out without opening the seat) which is missing on the Maestro edge.

I like both Yamaha (Fascino Hybrid) and Suzuki Access 125 but none of them have external fuel filling feature. I used to this feature for long hence I prefer to have this feature in my future scooter also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anees_Offl View Post
Hi,

As of now, its advisable to go with petrol scooter as you have mentioned that there are not enough dealers or after sale facilities too.

It would take another year or so for electric scooters to catch up. With the launch of OLA scooters and bookings going on in a massive scale we would come to know about the pro's and con's of owning a electric scooter soon.

However, if your avg travel per day is over 15kms, then probably your next purchase should be an electric one.

Considering the way in which the fuel rates are increasing day by day , it remains to be seen how far it goes.

Regards,
Anees
Thanks. My average travelling per day will be around 5/7kms only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
So your annual running will be somewhere near ~2k kms mark, and both the ICE and electric options will cost you around 1L mark so I won't consider any RoI.
Your annual savings will be around INR 3-4k excluding the maintenance charges if you opt for electric.
Now the main questions are:
  • Convenience - Do you have the proper space and shed for charging your scooter?
  • Early Adoption - As the EV industry is still in a growing state, facing small niggles with your EV is a common sight. And there are chances that even dealer won't know what the issue is. Don't know if there are any mechanics familiar with EVs in your areas.
  • Durability - Even in the best case scenario, an electric scooter from the current lot won't last as long as a traditional ICE scooter.

I myself own an electric scooter from Pure, and have dealt with some of the irritating niggles with help from the dealer as well as bhpians.
So if you opt for an ev, ensure that the dealer knows what he is selling and that the spares are available if you need them.
Thanks. Yes, I have sufficient space and facility for charging the scooter. But, I am worried about after sales service or repair problems if I buy one from those dealers those who are far away from my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I'm going to go against the tide here. It seems like its users like you for whom the Ola S1 with its unique delivery and support model may be a perfect fit. I'd say hold out till mid Sept when the first lot of reviews come out and if you're convinced you could book immediately hopefully for October delivery.

EVs are relatively simple scooters and the price of the Ola S1 should not be dramatically different from a premium 125cc scooter.

I'm not coming into this from a cost of petrol vs charging perspective. Just that the Ola EV may be a more rewarding scooter to own than the run of the mill ICE offerings.
I too have a booking with Ola (booked on 16 July), but I don't think they will deliver to me even in September. What I heard was (of course, may be rumours) that they will start the delivery beginning with Tier 1 city and then Tier 2 cities likewise and if that is the case it may take a couple of months before it reaches to my place (Panchayat and village areas).

As mentioned in my 1st post, I am desperate for a two wheeler (I handed over my old scooter on the 6th of this month to my relative and since then I have been using my car for shopping purposes which is not convenient at all), and I need to finalise one within a week's time.
Old 25th August 2021, 18:44   #8
BHPian

If charging is not an issue at your residence then electric scooter will make more sense. ROI varies as your usage pattern may change once you will get used to the convenience of two wheeler.
Ola seems to be perfect choice but you may need to wait at least a quarter. If you are in desperate need then go for an used scooter really old one Activa may be less than 10K. Once you have clarity about Ola, get one. It has massive 30l under seat storage which can be apt for groceries shopping especially in rainy days.
Old 25th August 2021, 19:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like both Yamaha (Fascino Hybrid) and Suzuki Access 125 but none of them have external fuel filling feature. I used to this feature for long hence I prefer to have this feature in my future scooter also.
The BS6 Access 125 has the external fuel filling feature/cap. You would still need to get off the scooter and use the key to open it. No idea about the Yamaha Fascino.

I have it on my Activa 125 too with a button next to the ignition to open the flap to reveal the fuel filling cap. Again not a big deal at all as I still get off the scooter put it on the center stand while filing fuel. Whether it’s an external fuel filling cap or under the seat fuel filling cap, I really don’t find any difference or inconvenience either way.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The BS6 Access 125 has the external fuel filling feature/cap. You would still need to get off the scooter and use the key to open it. No idea about the Yamaha Fascino.

Cheers
Thanks.

Yes, I was just going through the reviews of the Access 125 Bluetooth edition, which seems good especially the big digital instrument panel. Otherwise, it has almost all other features as in the Maestro Edge 125 or Honda Grazia.
nairrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:59   #11
BHPian

I've ridden my uncle's electric scooter few times and it's quick acceleration caught me off guard every time. If elderly or women in your family are also going to use the scooter occasionally, electric scooter may not be a good option. Also the range anxiety would always be in the back of your mind. Consider any petrol scooter, given your use case, just fill up the tank and you could ride for two weeks easily before having to tank up again. You can drop Fascino from your consideration as it's floor is not flat, you can't carry stuff easily on it. Do check out new Access too.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 20:47   #12
BHPian

Safest and most practical option would be to go for the Honda (1st) or Hero (2nd) option.

Ola hasn’t even started deliveries yet and quality and long term reliability, after sales is all an unknown scenario at this point of time. if spending so much, go for a peace of mind scooter which is proven in your town.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Otherwise, it has almost all other features as in the Maestro Edge 125 or Honda Grazia.
In these commuter scooters there is really nothing outstanding at all and if you look at it practically, it’s not even required for the segment. It’s what floats your boat

I bought the Activa 125 mainly because it’s very comfortable, as an all rounder it would have easily been the Access 125.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:24   #14
BHPian

I don't know where entire background and the need. But if running is so low and you need it for only daily shopping of less items, then why not consider a bicycle instead? Till sometime this get good option and choices near your place?
saikarthik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 02:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

… Whereas the Grazia do not have the BT connection feature…

I like both Yamaha (Fascino Hybrid) and Suzuki Access 125 but none of them have external fuel filling feature…

But, I am worried about after sales service or repair problems if I buy one from those dealers those who are far away from my area..
Any reasons for not considering the Ntorq? It has all those features (BT, external fuel filler cap) and more. I just test rode the race xp yesterday and loved it. That console has truck load of information and ride modes as well. I know overkill on a 10bhp scooter but it’s probably the best and fastest accelerating (xp) scooter out there. Even service won’t be an issue as TVS is everywhere.

Only thing which I found hard to digest is the 1.12L OTR Bangalore.

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th August 2021 at 02:39.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks