Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 07:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Urgent need of a Scooter | Should I go for an electric or petrol scooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I've ridden my uncle's electric scooter few times and it's quick acceleration caught me off guard every time. If elderly or women in your family are also going to use the scooter occasionally, electric scooter may not be a good option. Also the range anxiety would always be in the back of your mind. Consider any petrol scooter, given your use case, just fill up the tank and you could ride for two weeks easily before having to tank up again. You can drop Fascino from your consideration as it's floor is not flat, you can't carry stuff easily on it. Do check out new Access too.
Thanks. Have read a couple of reviews of new Access and looks nice. Will go to the showroom and see it live there before taking a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Safest and most practical option would be to go for the Honda (1st) or Hero (2nd) option.

Ola hasn’t even started deliveries yet and quality and long term reliability, after sales is all an unknown scenario at this point of time. if spending so much, go for a peace of mind scooter which is proven in your town.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
In these commuter scooters there is really nothing outstanding at all and if you look at it practically, it’s not even required for the segment. It’s what floats your boat

I bought the Activa 125 mainly because it’s very comfortable, as an all rounder it would have easily been the Access 125.

Cheers
Thanks. Access showroom /service center is very close to my house which will be more convenient for me. Also, my brother in law has old Access 125 which I have driven a couple of time and I liked it (was better than my previous Maestro Edge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
I don't know where entire background and the need. But if running is so low and you need it for only daily shopping of less items, then why not consider a bicycle instead? Till sometime this get good option and choices near your place?
Thanks, but no bicycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Any reasons for not considering the Ntorq? It has all those features (BT, external fuel filler cap) and more. I just test rode the race xp yesterday and loved it. That console has truck load of information and ride modes as well. I know overkill on a 10bhp scooter but it’s probably the best and fastest accelerating (xp) scooter out there. Even service won’t be an issue as TVS is everywhere.

Only thing which I found hard to digest is the 1.12L OTR Bangalore.
I too liked the Ntorq, but as you said it is bit expensive comparing others. In the past, I had TVS Wego, Maestro Edge so thought of trying another brand. I also had the chance of driving Access 125 (old model) and Fascino 110 (old model), but I found Access 125 was very smooth among all above. Sorry, its only my observation.
nairrk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 07:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Urgent need of a Scooter | Should I go for an electric or petrol scooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
1. My average travelling per day will be around 5/7kms only

2. it may take a couple of months before it reaches to my place (Panchayat and village areas).

3. I need to finalise one within a week's time.
1. I have even lower running on my Access and even more erratic, so over time the battery will need to be charged externally if the running isn't sufficient. Just get one of the Bosch chargers (I loan a C3 from a friend when needed) and you're sorted.

2. True I suspect even later than that. Although it suits your needs perfectly but better to wait and let the first iteration go by. I won't recommend getting any vehicle which doesn't have a service center at your location.

3. I understand your desperation, T2/T3 traffic and parking especially in the markets make driving a car a punishment IMO.

My suggestions (not in order) :
- TVS Jupiter : most comfortable suspension of the three, external filler cap
- Honda Activa 6G : most refined of the lot
- Suzuki Access 125 : best acceleration of the lot, haven't ridden the bs6 though, external filler cap, utility pocket on the left apron.

Get any of the three, you won't go wrong with either. Take a TR over your target road surfaces and see the features you need. Small features are added over iterations and models which you won't know of unless you see it.
See the proximity of the service centers to your place as they'll need frequent and on time service to keep the warranty.

Good Luck
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 09:45   #18
BHPian

Re: The urgent need of a Scooter - Should I go for an electric or petrol variant?

Quote:
What you guys think - should I go for a branded low speed electric scooter or once again purchase a petrol scooter?
If this scooter is a long term purchase and if you are interested in electric scooters, I would suggest you to wait till Ola is available on sale, just to avoid 'I could have bought this' moment.

Ola S1 is available at a price point almost similar to a decent ICE scooter. At 7/8 kms a day on average, it will give ROI on feel good factor, if not on running cost.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 26th August 2021 at 09:51.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Urgent need of a Scooter | Should I go for an electric or petrol scooter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
1. I have even lower running on my Access and even more erratic, so over time the battery will need to be charged externally if the running isn't sufficient. Just get one of the Bosch chargers (I loan a C3 from a friend when needed) and you're sorted.

2. True I suspect even later than that. Although it suits your needs perfectly but better to wait and let the first iteration go by. I won't recommend getting any vehicle which doesn't have a service center at your location.

3. I understand your desperation, T2/T3 traffic and parking especially in the markets make driving a car a punishment IMO.

My suggestions (not in order) :
- TVS Jupiter : most comfortable suspension of the three, external filler cap
- Honda Activa 6G : most refined of the lot
- Suzuki Access 125 : best acceleration of the lot, haven't ridden the bs6 though, external filler cap, utility pocket on the left apron.

Get any of the three, you won't go wrong with either. Take a TR over your target road surfaces and see the features you need. Small features are added over iterations and models which you won't know of unless you see it.
See the proximity of the service centers to your place as they'll need frequent and on time service to keep the warranty.

Good Luck
Thanks, all noted.
Yes, I will test drive the Access 125 first, but after a couple of days as Covid-19 cases had suddenly risen here after the recent festival. Many areas have been declared containment zone and I don't want to go and stuck somewhere in between

Also, will check with the showroom if they can bring one TD vehicle to my home.
nairrk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:38   #20
BHPian

Given your minimal running, may I recommend an electric bicycle. They have ranges upto 30 km and are excellent.
I use one called the Lectro by Hero cycles. It costs just 20,000 and can be used in manual, assist and pure electric modes.
matizcrazy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 10:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to go and stuck somewhere in between

Also, will check with the showroom if they can bring one TD vehicle to my home.
Good call, stay safe and postpone your purchase till the cases subside. This is more important than the inconvenience caused by the lack of a scooter.

Call them to your place for TDs after the cases subside, pause for now IMO.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:02   #22
BHPian

Dear Nairrk,

My two cents , electric scooters are usually extremely low maintenance I am told , with bigger brands coming in and some available and considering a 10 km ride I would think that in the long it will be super beneficial and also not have to work about maintenance et al ! I am not a fan of Chinese brands though ( I understand that lot of the parts anyways would be Chinese) - I have not heard of big electric complaints per se. Yes when it comes to battery issues service centre is needed but that's also case with a major breakdown for a petrol 2 wheeler.

It's also environmentally friendly from a emission perspective and gods own country is many ways is our last resort in the country dude - just our bit !

Thanks,

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Dear Nairrk,

My two cents , electric scooters are usually extremely low maintenance I am told , with bigger brands coming in and some available and considering a 10 km ride I would think that in the long it will be super beneficial and also not have to work about maintenance et al ! I am not a fan of Chinese brands though ( I understand that lot of the parts anyways would be Chinese) - I have not heard of big electric complaints per se. Yes when it comes to battery issues service centre is needed but that's also case with a major breakdown for a petrol 2 wheeler.

It's also environmentally friendly from a emission perspective and gods own country is many ways is our last resort in the country dude - just our bit !

Thanks,

Srini
Yes, I agree.
The problem is that all the electric scooters available here are with 250W motor which I don't want to go with even though they promise many things.

One of the local brand (who has manufacturing or assembling unit in my District) told me that they have a new scooter with 2 KW motor and 72V/30AH Lion battery. According to them the scooter is ready, but waiting for RTO approval (since a first timer with high speed electric scooter, I believe they need to get approvals on their company and then to the scooter).

Since Last 12 days they have been telling me that they are in the process of obtaining necessary approvals from RTO. I will wait for another couple of days and if nothing happening then will finalise a petrol scooter.
Old 26th August 2021, 11:26   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

May be a long shot, I assume the scooter is needed in Kannur? Ather has just opened its Calicut showroom and apparently plans to add 3-4 cities by end of the year. You can check if them if they can support Kannur from Calicut or if there is a plan for a Kannur showroom this year.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:34   #25
BHPian

I bought a bicycle for a similar purpose and using it happily. Would recommend you to check one. There are more options and models available today. Low cost , very low maintenance and added health benefits. Additionally, you can check for electric cycles. Something like Adventron 27.5 Electric Bike from the Firefox brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
I don't know where entire background and the need. But if running is so low and you need it for only daily shopping of less items, then why not consider a bicycle instead? Till sometime this get good option and choices near your place?
saisree is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 11:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
May be a long shot, I assume the scooter is needed in Kannur? Ather has just opened its Calicut showroom and apparently plans to add 3-4 cities by end of the year. You can check if them if they can support Kannur from Calicut or if there is a plan for a Kannur showroom this year.
Thanks.
Received similar suggestions from others already. First of all Ather is very expensive and is out from my list.

I am not in proper Kannur town - about 40 kms away from Kannur town towards the north, which means if someone comes from Calicut has to travel another 40 kms to reach my place. They may deliver the scooter, but subsequent services, etc. may be a problem in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I bought a bicycle for a similar purpose and using it happily. Would recommend you to check one. There are more options and models available today. Low cost , very low maintenance and added health benefits. Additionally, you can check for electric cycles. Something like Adventron 27.5 Electric Bike from the Firefox brand.
Not interested in Cycle. (Occasionally, my wife comes with me for shopping or going to ration shop etc.)

Last edited by Sheel : 26th August 2021 at 21:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2021, 19:23   #27
BHPian

Don't lock yourself to old and outdated technology. If you can, stretch a little and get the Ather. Please, please get a test ride from Ather Calicut before you purchase anything. I live in Malappuram and got mine from Kochi when then opened in April. There's nothing to maintain in the electric scooter and you can save yourself the hassle of having to visit a petrol pump every few days especially if a petrol pump isn't available in your usual route.

I would recommend to wait for Ola S1, but you mentioned you have to buy soon.

Petrol scooters are so outdated. Once the Ola S1 is available, I'll get rid of my RE Meteor and replace it with the S1.

Last edited by sreeharipv : 26th August 2021 at 19:25.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 20:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

By seeing your expectations from the new two wheeler that is to be used primarily for marketing trips of 6-7 kms at a time, I would still suggest you on this day in 2021 to buy a petrol scooter of your choice. It's because the EV technology is not yet perfected and newer developments are happening in this very happening domain. Expect your new two wheeler to serve you for about 10-15 years. And thereafter by 2035 or so, the EV technology will be much more evolved and user friendly. At that time you can switch over to a good, branded electric scooter.

Among the two choices of yours, I would suggest that you go for the Honda Grazia 125, as Hero Motors is yet to prove any technological break though ever since it parted company with Honda, a decade earlier.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 20:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

For your kind of very low usage(6-7 kms a day), you should look at a pre owned sparingly used Honda Activa for the time being. Take a call on the electric scooter few months down the line till Ola/other brands hit the market and sufficient product reviews and ownership experiences are out. By then, if things are favourable you can sell your Activa and go for the electric. Being Honda Activa, you won't lose out much on the resale either.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 23:12   #30
BHPian

Is there any particular reason that you are thinking away from Petrol Scooter? If price of petrol is an issue, you may buy a 2nd hand scooter for the time being till EV dealer shops open in your area.

I have been using Pure EV ePluto 7G for the last 1 year. It has a removable battery which can be charged at home and a single charge can run for 100 kms with top speed of 65 kmph. Although I am saving money but I do need to take out the battery to my apartment to charge and again put it back into the scooter which do require some effort. Also range anxiety always come to my mind whnever the charge indicator is half or less.

Since your daily travel is only 7-8 kms, petrol scooters are still good option. If price is a concern, check out the 2nd hand market in your area.
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks