Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2021, 14:53   #31
BHPian

re: Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
If you're coming by then I'd be glad to help,...don't really need an adapter, you can get jumper cables from Amazon that would get the job done.
Your trim values show the compensation of fueling to reach optimal AFR. So if a value is too much off then you would know that something is amiss and you can add/remove parts as required to reach optimum.
Will definitely take you up on this offer when the time comes because all this is way over my head

Quote:
spitting water which denotes a perfect burn, something which many of us are yet to see on our stock bikes, even with the Bullet I would have to finger the exhaust to feel some kind of wetness.
At the risk of sounding like an ignoramus I have to ask! What is this about water in the burn now? In my little brain I always though air+fuel burns and exhaust gas is expelled.

Quote:
In spite of saying all that, I'd recommend you'd slow down a bit. Else it would be hard to figure out what is causing what and you'd eventually end up with a very expensive motorcycle that doesn't run right....
And since you're anyways importing parts why not import a Colortune Plug,
Very sound advice indeed and something we do at work too but dont you worry about that. The Mrs took a peek at my credit card bills for last month and right now the only thing I am authorised to buy is fuel so that puts an end to my upgrades run.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 22:34   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
At the risk of sounding like an ignoramus I have to ask! What is this about water in the burn now? In my little brain I always though air+fuel burns and exhaust gas is expelled.
Water is a byproduct of combustion.

Not sciencey enough to explain the process but if your timing and AFR are bang on you get water dripping out of your exhaust pipe. A friend of mine whose a Car mechanic once told me that due to timing guns being expensive and hard to come by they would set timing on older cars like the Zen etc that had a distributor ignition by shifting the distributor bit by bit and checking the exhaust for water.

This is another reason why I do not recommend starting a motorcycle unnecessarily during lockdown. You start it up for a couple of minutes and the motorcycle running on EFI leaves a healthy amount of water inside the pipe and it starts to slowly rust from the inside.

Anyhow here's the video I was referring to before;

P.S. Watch from 13:42 till the end, that's when he starts to talk about the waterworks.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 5th August 2021 at 22:38.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 12:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Water is a byproduct of combustion.

Anyhow here's the video I was referring to before;

that's when he starts to talk about the waterworks.
Erm buddy..either that guy is a certified hidden genius or he is totally unaware of whats happening with his bike . After watching that video it really piqued my interest and I started searching the worldwideweb, mind you this is the same place we can still find people claiming the world is flat. So I tried multiple searches like "Why is water leaking out of the exhaust", "Is water an outcome of a well tuned carburetor" etc. Guess what I kept coming back to the same reasons why you might see water coming out of any internal combustion engine's exhaust with not a single result of "water coming out is a sign of your tuning powers"
  • Condensation
  • Catalytic Convertor Byproduct
  • Faulty piston
  • Blown gasket
Anyway thanks to my search I stumbled on this article that might be an interesting read for you https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bik...e-carburetors/
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 13:48   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Erm buddy..either that guy is a certified hidden genius or he is totally unaware of whats happening with his bike . After watching that video it really piqued my interest and I started searching the worldwideweb, mind you this is the same place we can still find people claiming the world is flat. So I tried multiple searches like "Why is water leaking out of the exhaust", "Is water an outcome of a well tuned carburetor" etc. Guess what I kept coming back to the same reasons why you might see water coming out of any internal combustion engine's exhaust with not a single result of "water coming out is a sign of your tuning powers"
  • Condensation
  • Catalytic Convertor Byproduct
  • Faulty piston
  • Blown gasket
Anyway thanks to my search I stumbled on this article that might be an interesting read for you https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bik...e-carburetors/
I'm a Commerce Student so I cannot explain the chemical reaction taking place but basically when you burn a hydrocarbon with oxygen water is one of the byproducts.

Again this is something every mechanic worth his salt can attest to, but you really don't need to go that far cause the first link(like literally) when you give Google a shot would clear your doubt;

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-screenshot_2021080613110749_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

As for the reasons you've got from the WWW let's break it down;

1. Condensation: It is possible more so in colder locations where you'd see vapour coming out everytime you start the motor, though not to a noticeable extent when it comes to the southern states.

2. Catcon Byproduct, this is true as Catcons perform oxidation on harmful exhaust by-products;

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-images-3.jpeg

H2O is water.

3. Faulty Piston? This is weird cause as someone who has rebuilt an engine I can assure you that a fault piston will not cause water to come out of the exhaust, though it will cause oil to come out of the exhaust.

4. Blown Gaskets do cause water to enter the combustion chamber but they do not exit unscarred, water breaks down due to combustion heat, this is the principle by which 5 minute Car Decarb Scams operate. Which is why a clean spark plug is considered to be a symptom of a blown head gasket. BUT! Were talking about Air-cooled engines here, the Thunderbird in the video is also an Air Cooled engine, just give it a second to register.

Hope that helps.

As for James Cameron, I'm a longtime fan of his, have gone through every one of his articles, his guide on SP reading is priceless.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 19:31   #35
BHPian

Since the embargo on aftermarket parts for the bike continues, I decided to take advantage of an Amazon sale and pick up an RE Jacket. Cant have a Café racer without a leather jacket, no? I must say for what they are, they are priced really well.

Genuine Leather, looks and feels the part

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2819.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2846.jpg

They do have Back , Shoulder and Elbow pockets for inserts and for reference the knox CE2 pad that came with my Rynox jacket fits perfectly in that pocket. The only draw back is the L1-L5 region of your spine is exposed, though thats the nature of the insert.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2839.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2840.jpg

The jacket looks like it was designed for much cooler climates than ours with no perforation or vents and in fact a lovely strip behind the zip to ensure even a draft doesn't sneak in. But hey at least you will look cool while cooking on the inside

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2832.jpg

The only adjustment you have are at the cuff and a three level cinch at the waist and thats it. No stretch panels.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2843.jpg

YKK zips everywhere and love the buttons.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2867.jpg

Not the easiest jacket to accommodate gauntlets. You can wear the cuff over the gloves but will be a struggle to put on and take off

Cuff over the gauntlet
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2814.jpg

Gauntlet over the cuff
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2815.jpg

There is no way to attach this to your riding pants so good luck with that but hey...Did I already say this jacket looks really gorgeous?

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2850.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2835.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2881.jpg

Would have loved it if they gave an option of selecting the pin based on the bike you own
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_2884.jpg
deepfreak15 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 11:28   #36
BHPian

After having taken my Dad's scooter to Yercaud (Hill-station) link (My Silk White Ducati Multistrada 950 - One bike for many roads) , I wanted to find out how the GT would fare on those sections. Due to personal commitments I have been riding between Bangalore and Salem quite often so made a mental note to ride to Yercaud the next time I was visiting. Unknown to me fellow Bhpian KarthikK had been harboring a craving for chilli bhajiis(fritters) for a while. The stars somehow aligned and it ended up in a group ride with EbmRajesh hopping on board.

After a wet start from Bangalore in the morning, clear skies

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210927wa0006.jpg

This is what KarthikK had come for (PC:KarthikK)

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210925wa0030.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210925wa0031.jpg

Yercaud wasnt very crowded which was surprising considering it was the weekend, so we took the loop road

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210925_114555.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210925_114742.jpg

At the mid point of the loop road there is a quaint cafe where you can stop and have some local coffee (Yercaud is known for its coffee estates). Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210925_123744.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210925wa0019.jpg

The leather jacket wasnt as oppressive as I had imagined it would be. At speed you can feel air creeping in through the neck and the sleeves and it actually mentally tricks you into feeling cooler. At standstill I did feel the heat but staying hydrated helped a lot. I would still recommend the vented version neil.jericho link (Buying a Royal Enfield Leather Jacket | Review & Pictures) bought

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210925wa0014.jpg

In other news, had picked up a pair of the RE/Levis motorcycle jeans. They are comfortable but no idea how they would fare in a slide.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210925wa0021-2.jpg

The GT was a hoot to ride, its not razor sharp but has a very high smiles per miles ratio at not so high a cost. Pleasantly surprised with the performance of the CEAT Cruze tyres. Yeah that tank pad still looks ugly!

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img20210925wa0017.jpg

P.S This ride is dedicated to our dear friend CrAzY dRiVeR who has comfortably parked himself in his hometown and has completely forgotten what it feels like to ride a motorcycle.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th September 2021 at 09:01.
deepfreak15 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:07   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely update, deepfreak15. It looks you guys had a ton of fun (!!) with your Royal Enfields. Yercaud is the perfect destination for riders from Bangalore as it gives you everything - safe and wide highways, amazingly delicious twisties, a nice lake to relax by, lovely viewpoints and so much more. Since I moved out of Bangalore, its the one place that I miss riding to, the most.

Quote:
P.S This ride is dedicated to our dear friend CrAzY dRiVeR who has comfortably parked himself in his hometown and has completely forgotten what it feels like to ride a motorcycle.
Conversely, I think it might push him to test ride the Interceptor 650 once again and I suspect that his Versys might be in trouble! It's days seem to be numbered. May the tribe of 650 twin owners increase
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:26   #38
BHPian

Updates have been sparse as I had the misfortune of tearing my triceps and had to undergo surgery to reattach it. With the weekend curfew being lifted I had a couple of things I needed to test so made a short 200 km round trip.

I am a huge fan of using stand alone inner armor because of the versatility it provides but more important it fits over the parts its supposed to protect and there is little to no scope of it moving around in case of a tumble. And while I already had such armor, in a moment of insanity I ended up buying another set( Highnoteperformance )only a few days prior to my injury.
On a side note, I love dealing with Highnoteperformance, this is the second dealing I have had with them and they are very courteous and professional. I have had the misfortune of dealing with some lackluster and condescending vendors that I feel the need to highlight the ease of doing business with HNP.
Back to the armor. The quality is top notch and looks like it will perform well though I have no intention of finding out. The sizing is based on your torso length and everything else is adjustable. The only draw back is its a bit bulky and I felt like a puffed up pigeon. It will help to factor this in and maybe go one size up on the jacket to accommodate this added bulk.

The fabric that has the company logo imprinted covers some protective material (as per the official blurb) in addition to the obvious protective sections. So protection feels very comprehensive
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20220122_093304.jpg

The protection extends all the way to the coccyx and covers the kidneys too
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20220122_093332.jpg

But on a serious note I have decided to stop buying armor until I can afford a good reputed airbag system.

The second thing I needed to test was how well my arm would hold up and if I can start planning motorcycle trips again. On that front was very happy to find out it held up pretty well though I do have to be a tad bit careful on rough roads and I still havent got full Range of motion of my left arm so making adjustments on my comm unit requires me to use my throttle hand and I am not a fan of that. Though on the plus side I can strap a D ring helmet with just three fingers

Had the pleasure of fellow bhpian ebmrajesh accompanying me on his silver Interceptor
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20220122_072324.jpg
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20220122_072524.jpg
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20220122_072607.jpg
deepfreak15 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 10:58   #39
BHPian

Due to work related changes I have to take a hiatus from motorcycling for the unforeseeable and rather than letting my bikes idle and rot away took the hard decision to let go of them. So sadly my term with the Conti came to a premature end. Sold the bike to an eager chap on the 23rd of May.
Though my time with the bike was short-lived it was immense fun while it lasted. No matter how hard I tried the only negative I could think off were the fact they came with an odd tyre size and were the tubed type. Wishing the new owner many kms of happy riding!
deepfreak15 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 05:36   #40
BHPian

Re: Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!

I read your review, was mighty convinced and booked the interceptor though! What surprised me was the tentative delivery date of end of March. The GT has a delivery date close to the end of April. Royal Enfield showroom experience is the best any manufacturer could give.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks