Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 20:19   #1
BHPian

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet story

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-bullet-g2.jpg

1999 was the year when Bill was acquitted, Scotland got its parliament, we won Kargil, Barbie turned 40, Boris resigned and the armed forces sold a 1963 Royal Enfield Bullet.
Obviously the auction had nothing to do with Bill,Boris or Barbie but over the years I’ve realised that my mind moves in various directions.
Most of them illogical and unnecessary.

I) Bitten By the Bug

The Royal Enfield bullet bug bit me in the late 70’s.
If I look back now for someone to blame - It was my fathers fault.
Putting me on his Bullet motorcycle was a mistake.
He had to pay for it dearly.
In cash. (the next line has details)

I owned various motorcycles like the KB125 (my first bike), Rx100 (looked lovely in red), RD350 (bad brakes), DT125 (my first motocross bike), DT200R (loved the bike) blah blah blah. No, I didn't have all of them at the same time. This was over a 5 to 6 year period. Father paid.

I got tired of riding "Japanese" motorcycles.
Sure they were good. No complaints.
They were fast. They were smooth.
They went from zero to whatever in seconds. Sometimes they even went there with the front wheel in the air
The problem was they were like food from McDonalds.
Predictable.
And my culinary preferences had evolved. Along with a lot of other preferences which usually evolve when you are 23.

I had started earning and had some money saved up since I didn't really have any expenses in those days apart from maybe fuel and food once in a while.
I decided I wanted a Royal Enfield.
So when other motorcycle enthusiasts lined up to buy the new Hero Honda CBZ which was launched in 1999 one idiot picked up a 1963 Royal Enfield bullet.

Cut to modern times
I rode the motorcycle quite a bit till 2018.
I then parked it at my house near Deolali.
Visited the bike 2 months ago and found it in bad shape.
Was depressed.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210206_082452.jpg

So I did what any sane middle aged motorcycle enthusiast who’s just sold his Duke 390 would do.
I arranged for the bike to be transported from there to my farm in Raigad (Maharashtra) and decided to do up the bike and use it daily.

The destination is a place which has no mobile network once you turn off the highway (hence no Google Maps). So I drew a map on paper the old fashioned way to make sure the transport guy gets the bike to the right place. Washed the bike(s) and put them on the truck.
The bike(s) reached the farm at around 4am.

Driver - Sir how do you live here in the middle of nowhere with no network?
Me - Happily.

II) Restoration

Restoration is a much abused term these days. Making a bike all glossy with a fancy new paint job and chrome is not really restoration in my book.
Restoration would be making the vehicle look like it did when it was new - you have to use parts and stick to original specifications.
I’ve seen too many bullets which have the old engine in place and everything else is from Delhi. That is not restoration at all. The bike ends up looking very different from what its supposed to look like. Customization would be a better term for those jobs. Not restoration.

I’m okay with some customization but I want the bike to look more or less like it did during the time it was made. If I had to put a percentage to it my bike would be around 85% original and I wouldnt want to go any lower than that because the bike then turns into something else.

Anyway, coming back to the main point, I had to get the bike in shape and like all loving fathers I screamed at my 17 year old son and forced him to help me open up the bike.
Ancient Chinese proverb - man with no assistant must use son.
Slogged for a month fixing things and then put the bike back together.
Key learning - putting a bike back together is more difficult than opening it up.

But things ended well

Seat covers were changed and the tank and tool boxes were painted. Some work on the tank was needed as it was leaking.
The old fuel cork had to be replaced as it went kaput for some reason.
A new battery from Amron was plopped in and a new accelerator cable had to be put in since the old one was about to break.
I did spend quite some time oiling and greasing and cleaning and polishing / buffing.
It was hard work.
Wifey was grumbling about the amount of time being wasted so I did what any loving husband would. I ignored her.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210402_120413.jpg

III) Why this Post?

Most people post ownership reviews for new cars and bikes and I’ve read a number of them over the years here on the forum. One of the things that keeps a good forum in shape is continuous contribution from members. I thought it was time to do my bit.

Royal Enfield seems to be growing in popularity these days.
There was a time when nobody wanted one.
When I used to ride it 25 years ago it was just cops, people from the armed forces and old uncles who would comment on my gleaming motorcycle and ask me what model it was.
Now Royal Enfield has almost like a cult following and I get quite a few youngsters ogling at the bike even in villages.

Local lad around 18 or 20 years old commented last week when i stopped to take a few pics near a village - saheb mast gaadi aahe. Old BS3 model aahe ka? (Sir this looks awesome. Is this an old BS3 model?)
I smiled to myself thinking a BS3 model ( around 2016) was an old bike according to him. But I realised that even a villager who doesn't have electricity had some idea of a bullet so it sure is popular.

This new found popularity has resulted in too many myths around old bikes with people making all sorts of claims in order to show the bike they have for sale as being more superior to others or some special model etc.
So I felt some information was needed around this mythical heavy crank G2 and how to identify one and not get conned.
Anyway, being a stickler for the rules now that I’ve blabbered the way I wanted to I will put down points in the TeamBHP recommended manner.

Purchase alternatives considered

None actually. I was very clear on what I wanted.
I did buy a new Royal Enfield Bullet in 2000 (that's a year after the G2) and I still own that bike as well but that's another story for another review maybe.
If I ever get around to writing about it.

My area of interest was mainly G2 bullet motorcycles which came with Points /Delco so I needed something built in or after 1960.
Magneto / Magdynamo models (called magnet model in local parlance) were manufactured by Royal Enfield between 1952 to 1957 and I've always stayed away from these bikes. My BSA and Matchless gave me a lot of trouble in the rains so I've just ignored these models completely.

G2 bullets were manufactured with 2 types of frames.
a) U Frame - this was till 1962 /1963
b) Bolted Frame - From 1963 onward. You cannot have a U frame in a bike after 1963 unless its some sort of a con job.

There are no advantages or disadvantages of either type. Its just a design change and I was okay with any frame type.
The overall looks of the bike too changed in 1963 as you can see in the photos with the distinctive box type mudguards.
Btw the last year for a G2 Bullet was 1968 / 69
(approximate years mentioned everywhere as manufacturing date and registration dates might be a bit different).

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210521_185032.jpg

IV) Maintenance and changes made

If you’ve got an old motorcycle as your daily ride you have to make some changes over the years because parts wear out etc. I’ve tried to keep the bike as original as possible in terms of main parts. As mentioned earlier I’m okay with making some cosmetic changes.

My objective over the past 20 odd years has been to ride bullets. Not keep them as show pieces and enter them in vintage / classic rallies or events.
Not that there is anything wrong with doing that either. It's just a matter of preference.
I get my kick out of taking the bullet on rides in the rural countryside rather than to a bike show for other people to ogle at.

So I’m okay to make some changes and have some replica parts added etc as long as the bike still looks old and those parts are from more or less the same time period.
What I don't like is taking an absolutely lovely looking old bullet and replacing parts and making it look like it was made in the 90’s or 2000’s.

I added things like the tail light cover with the royal enfield logo - the original one on the bike was plain black. There’s a matching headlight peak too. No, I didn't throw out the old one. I still have it.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_8569.jpg

One of the rear foot rests were of the newer type. I don’t know what happened to the older one. So I bought an original rear footrest last month from a used part dealer. Had to buy 2 because the rascal refused to sell me just one.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210521_174515.jpg

I also found the old original brake pedal with some of my tools last month. I don't know why a brake pedal from a newer model went on the bike and when. I painted the old original brake pedal and put it back on the bike this time.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210521_174450.jpg

The original side stand was like the ones you see on cycles. I changed that to the one in the pic. I’ve got the old one too.
The main stand on the bike is from a later model. The lever you see on the main stand was introduced sometime in the 80s. It's easier to use.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_091757.jpg

I’ve changed brake liners thrice since I got the bike. I checked them this time as well. They seemed to be in good shape so I cleaned them and put them back.

V) Brass Attack

A lot of royal enfield owners fit brass parts on the bike because it results in more time being spent polishing the bike and you get to escape from doing household chores. The brass bug did bite me many years ago but I didn't go overboard like a lot of people do. A few bits and pieces here and there just to keep me happy. You can see some of them in the pics I've shared.

VI) Bullet Quirks

I’ve not segregated them into quirks I like and quirks I dislike or quirks which are pros and quirks which are cons because you need to remember that this bike was made at a time when things were very different. Requirements were different. Roads were different. People were different. Life was different.
So using a modern yardstick won’t serve any purpose apart from telling you that any modern motorcycle today will accelerate better, corner better, have better pick up, stop better, provide better comfort etc etc.

Brakes
Yes they work. Like most British bikes they are on the left which is actually the right side to have the brakes and not on the right side which would be the wrong side.
It's an old motorcycle built in an era when no one wanted to slow down from 120 to 0 within seconds. So while the bike does have a rear brake, you can't slam it hard because the rear end starts sliding. The drum on the front wheel is the older type which is smaller - If you’ve seen later models with drum brakes they had larger drums and twin calipers etc. Pressing both brakes usually works well but unlike a modern bike where I use the front brakes more than the rear brakes, here it's the other way round. So while using both brakes it would be a 70% rear brake and a 30% front brake pressure sort of a usage.

Gears
You can shift up into 1st gear with the toe like you would for any other bike but if you want to do it stylishly like the old army / police officers then you do it with your heel. Using your right heel you pull the lever upwards firmly and you can feel the clunk that will tell you the bike is now in 1st gear. Moving to 2nd is done by pressing down firmly with the front part of your boots. Similarly you shift to 3rd and 4th. But you cannot tap the gear lever like you would with any modern bike. It has to be pressed with some force.

Neutral lever
There is a neutral level next to the gear shifter - this can be pressed if you are in any gear apart from 1st to move the bike into neutral.
If you are in 1st gear and want to go to neutral then you press the gear shifter downwards, move to 2nd gear and then press the neutral lever. The neutral lever has to be pressed firmly with the heel of your boots.
I’m saying pressed but it's more like hitting the lever with your heel.
Pressing the neutral lever doesn't always guarantee you’ve shifted into neutral so an old trick to check if it's neutral is you press the kick lightly while keeping the clutch lever pressed.
If the kick goes down then it's neutral. If the kick doesn't go down then the bike is in gear. So you press it into 2nd and then press the neutral shifter once again.
This time a bit harder.

Blipping the throttle
You do this while changing gears downwards to prevent the “jerk”. It was also considered a stylish way of riding the bike when you rev it slightly every time you shift upwards or downwards. Meaning you press the clutch, rev it slightly and then change into the next gear. I have no idea how this style evolved but it just feels good and sounds good.

Starting the bike
Before computers had the plug & play concept, the bullet had the kick & pray concept which was what all of us did while starting the bike.

1 - turn on the fuel cock
2 - bend down towards the tool box and turn the ignition key towards the right if you are confident about the battery in the bike.
3 - press the clutch lever and push the kick down to free the clutch. This may need more than one kick.
4 - press the decompressor lever and press the kick down till you see the ampere meter needle in the centre
5 - get the kick starter back up and press the kick down firmly
6 - pray

I mentioned pray because the kick has a tendency to hit back with force sometimes when you press it down (Especially if it is a heavy crank bike).
In local parlance people refer to it as “back”. So they’d say something like “back maarta hai”.
The trick is you press the kick down but you need to learn to lift your leg back up along with the kick when it misfires and “back maarta hai”.
After a few sprained ankles people tend to master this art.

Ancient Zen proverb - Sometimes you kick the bullet. Sometimes the bullet kicks you.

All of this will work only if you’ve got a battery which is charged.
The bike does have an emergency start option where it gets the current directly instead of via the battery - you have to turn the key towards the left to bypass the battery. (Centre position is off, left is emergency start and right is for regular starting).

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_092056001.jpg

Lights
There is a knob next to the speedometer which has 3 positions. Off, pilot lamps (those 2 small lights above the headlight) and headlight.
You have to remove your hand from the handlebars to switch on the lights. The switch too as with other parts of the bike needs a bit of a firm hand.
The tail light too lights up when the headlights are switched on.
Upper / Dipper - flip the lever on the handlebar( the one with the horn button).

The lights are quite dim compared to what we are used to these days. Perhaps people didn't need those bright lights that are so common now.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_8745.jpg

As mentioned earlier the headlight switch does need you to move your hand from the handlebars while riding in case you need to flash your lights at a vehicle coming towards you and this might seem a bit scary if you are not used to it. Most motorcycles these days even have a separate button which allows you to flash your lights quickly so you don't need to waste time. To take things even further most bikes these days also have the lights always on. But the bullet is different. Let's just leave it at that without getting into any nightmarish questions like what if I’m taking a turn at high speed and have tilted the bike at an angle and I need to flash my lights at the car coming from the front. How am I supposed to continue taking the turn with one hand and use the other to turn on the lights etc etc?

Horn
The button isn't very well placed to be honest. And the horn faces sideways instead of facing the front like most modern bikes. Its God's way of telling you not to use the horn very often.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_091658.jpg

Turn indicators
The bike doesn't have any.
You use your hand. One of the things I’ve realised over the years is that people no longer understand hand signals.
They understand right turn
They understand the middle finger
But if you put your right hand out and turn it in a clockwise circular direction they’ll wonder what's wrong with you.
So while I do give the signal for turning left out of habit, I’m sure most people on the road have no clue what I'm doing so I just take it really easy when turning left and assume no one’s understood the hand signal.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_7931.jpg

Clutch
It's got the old 3 plate clutch (newer models have 4 or 5 clutch plates) so riding in traffic is a bit of a problem with the clutch burning sometimes..I have no plans of bringing the bike to Bombay again. It would be difficult to ride in the sort of traffic we have in town these days. And it's more fun in the hills anyway.

Suspension
Depends on what you compare it with. Compared to the older prewar rigid frame models this bike is awesome.
Compared to the new bullet which has gas filled shock absorbers, this is a rough ride.
If you are not used to riding an old motorcycles from another era and you ride this bike for about an hour you’ll feel like you’ve spent a few hours working out at the gym.
One tends to get used to it though. My longest ride has been about 8 hours of non stop riding. I think it's a matter of getting used to it.
Look at the bright side - riding the bike keeps you in shape!

Oiling and lubing the chain
In these days of fancy lubes and sprays that we put on chains the old royal enfield beats them hollow. There’s a breather pipe from the engine that is fixed in a way that allows oil to keep dripping on the chain. So you don;t need to oil the chain. The bike does it for you.

G2 Engine
G2 is what I wanted and G2 is what I got.
G2 is actually a prefix to the engine number for these motorcycles.
The G2 numbering started in 1952.
Somewhere around 1969 the change was made to the B series.
A G2 engine would have the famous 3 screw breather attachment, the V cut raised portion below the points and the oil pressure release valve in addition to the engine number and frame number starting with G2 followed by a series of numbers.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_091711.jpg

Crank
People these days are obsessed with a heavy crank in their bullets. There is a lot of misleading information around this and I’ve seen adverts where people want to sell bullets from the 80’s and late 70’s while advertising them as heavy crank.
Heavy crank means bad fuel economy. It also means you have to shift gears quicker. So you move to a higher gear at a lower speed and keep riding in 4th gear without having to shift down when you slow down for speed breakers. But the pick up is slow. It's like something like a train which slowly gains momentum.
A light crank bullet gives better fuel economy. You can also pull the bike in each gear and pick up is better.
A heavy crank or light crank doesn't really make a bike good or bad. It merely runs differently and you have to change your riding style depending on the model you ride.
I have both hence speaking from experience.

Sharing some more information on Crank weights as this is an area of confusion with too many false claims and myths. Royal Enfield changed the weight of the crank along with several other minor and major changes which made these bikes look and feel very different from each other.
  • Between 1957 and 1968 - 9 point something(kg)
  • 1969 to 1972 - 8 kg
  • 1973 to somewhere in the 80s (need to check the year) - 7 point something (kg)
  • 1980s - around 8.5 kg
  • 1990s - around 7 point something (kg)
  • 2004 to 2010 - 10kg
The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210521_185020.jpg

Sound
The old silencer gives the distinctive beat of a classic British single cylinder engine. The “thump” is a bit deeper compared to the newer 2000 model bullet that I own.
I’ve seen a lot of people with new Royal Enfield UCE engine motorcycles changing their silencer to get their bikes to give out a more “bullet” type loud sound.
I think the main difference is in the beat.
No matter what exhaust you put in a new bike you cannot get the same single beat type of a sound that you get from the G2.

Handling
Its a pleasure to throw around corners and handles really well. While it can go a little upwards of 100kmph it feels best in 4th gear with the smiths speedometer hovering between 20mph and 40mph. That to me would be the ideal riding speed for this bike. It's not about how fast you can go on this bike. You push it into 4th gear around 25mph and just keep going slowly along the road. Speed up a bit when needed and then ease back to a comfortable cruising speed of around 40mph.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_8543.jpg

Handle lock
When the rest of the world is fiddling around with remotes and other gizmos, this bike has an excellent handle locking feature. You carry a nice Godrej padlock with you and fix it on the bike when needed.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_091957.jpg

Accelerator Lock
There is an optional fitting of an accelerator lock that was popular in the good old days. I’ve never used it to lock the accelerator. Might be useful if you park in public places and don't like people turning the accelerator.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_091925.jpg

VII) Overall Maintenance

I’ve done one major overhaul as mentioned earlier when I changed the piston and the clutch plates etc. Fork oil seals and some other bits here and there.

Some of the pics from the engine overhaul that was done some 8 years ago.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-bullet.jpg

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-bullet001.jpg

I remember after putting in a new piston.
Mechanic - the bike has to be ridden for about 800 km very gently to free the engine.
Me - roger
I did what any normal sane person in Deolali Cantonment would do in that situation.
I started the bike and rode aimlessly on NH3 ( the Bombay Agra road). Some 400km later I turned around and rode back.

Went to the mechanic after 2 days.
Me - Sir 800km done. Please check if the bike is ok.
Mechanic - Hahaha
Me - go on
Mechanic (after checking the bike) - *** (or rather its hindi equivalent)
Me - Hahaha
Mechanic - Sir bike is absolutely ok. I’m not sure if you are.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_7917.jpg

I painted the bike twice. The tyres are the old type tread patterns and I’ve never felt the need to change them to the new tread type or put in tubeless tyres. I’ve changed the tyres twice over the years.

Haven't had any major issues. Oiling / greasing and cleaning is all that has been needed most of the time. The clutch cable has been changed thrice if I’m not mistaken.
The speedometer cable broke after all these years just last week. Will have to source one from Bombay during one of my visits. It's the longer one with the cable that goes all the way to the rear wheel.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_091830.jpg

Engine oil
Castrol GTX 20w 50 is what I’ve mostly used for the engine. I used to use a single grade oil from Veedol earlier but I’ve not been able to find that very often. I’m not even sure if it's made anymore. I do an oil change every 6 months if I’m riding the bike regularly.
I add the same engine oil to the clutch as well. Castrol gear oil and grease has been used for the gearbox.

VIII) Usage pattern

I ride the bike about thrice a week on rural roads which include some nice twists and turns in the hills.

An old army manual describes the bullet as a “light field motorcycle”. I can't comment about the light bit but the bike is well built and can take a lot of punishment. I’ve ridden on all sorts of terrain.
Good roads, bad roads, I’ve even ridden on hills with no roads. As long as you are relatively fit you’ll be able to manage riding the bike quite easily.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_8733.jpg

I do a quick check before riding. Something like a preflight check any aviator would do.
An aviator does it because he doesn't want to crash, not because he doesn't trust his machine.
I do it because I like my bike and I’m too lazy to push it on the road.
I also clean the bike properly before every ride. I always ride with the paint and chrome gleaming. Even if it's a short ride just round the corner. Old habits die hard.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_86102.jpg

IX) Work to be done / Parts that need changing

There is some leakage from the gearbox. Will be opening it to check once the lockdown ends.
I think I’ll go back to the old cycle type side stand. This one was purchased on a whim and I think it's not very stable. Neither was the cycle type stand. But at least it was original.
Rubber on the kick needs to be put. I couldn't find a large one that would fit this kick so have temporarily put the shorter one from a newer model which has the fold-able type kick.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_092056002.jpg

And yeah I need lots of fuel. I think the bike gives me around 28kmpl. The closest petrol pump is about 20km away.
Need to figure out if stocking petrol at the farm is a good idea.
Scared of something catching fire suddenly and things getting out of hand.

Appendix 1 - Additional Information about old Bullets

Made in England
This is another load of nonsense that people come up with when they claim a particular model as being better because it was made in England. The company in India was officially set up and had a mix of parts some of which were imported from England and some which were manufactured in India. The proportion of made in England parts kept reducing and the made in India parts kept increasing as years passed. By 1964 the bike was more or less completely made in India. Anything after 1957 had a frame made in India so a fully made in England bike is possible only if its a model made before 1957.

B series bullet.
Its an excellent motorcycle and I will be adding one to my collection soon.
After the G2, the next in line was the B series Bullet and I have noticed a few people trying to con people by portraying a B series as a G2.
The engine prefix was changed to B (B1) in 1969 and these engines looked identical to the G2.
Till 1974 the B series engines had the 3 screw breather fitting.
Till 1972 the B series also had the oil pressure release valve.
The crank weight changed to a lighter crank (compared to the G2) after 1972 till the end of the B series.

Epilogue

It's an early morning with hardly a soul in sight. A thin looking chap in Levis and old army boots kick starts his bullet and warms up the engine hoping the fog isn't too thick today.
He's just finished giving the gleaming chrome one last wipe before it becomes too hot to touch.
The bike moves slowly along the dirt track towards the main road and starts its way up the hill, picking up speed a few minutes later.
Songs from another era play in his head while he throws the bike around corners.
One last high speed burst along the straight road with the world passing by at 60mph before he slows down to a steady pace of 20mph.
And so the ride continues with the Smiths Speedometer showing zero (till the lazy chap buys a new cable) and the sound of an old British single reverberates in the hills.....dug dug dug dug dug dug.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_8636.jpg

The End

Last edited by Aditya : 7th June 2021 at 20:09. Reason: As requested
theqca is offline   (97) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 06:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:01   #3
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
..and the sound of an old British single reverberates in the hills...
I'd been reading this like a quirky, funny, well-worded ownership experience but it's actually a love letter to a Bullet masquerading as such!

Our paths may be intersecting, weirdly enough. I'm on a different timeline and have no intentions of selling my Duke 390, but I am infact in the market for a vintage Bullet. Mainly, to be honest, to transport in time my dad to his stonking, supercharged years as a freshly sculpted second-lieutenant in '82.

What a beautiful post. I wish you many thousands of trouble free (as they can be), enjoyable miles on your beloved motorcycle!
Singh101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent write up! Thank you for sharing. Very informative. I must admit I know very little about bikes. I have only owned one: a 1974 Bullet, 350. So would that have been a B then.

I had a modern five speed gear box fitted. Primarily so I had left foot shifting, right foot braking which come more naturally to me. Driving in Indian traffic was enough of a challenge without having to worrry about what foot to shift/brake with.

I bought mine from a little company called Joga in Delhi. They did a very good job of restoring it. It was probably a bit of a mix of new and old parts, but it did have that fantastic cast iron engine. Even my wife, liked the thump of a bullet.

Yours looks gorgeous! Nice to see such a well maintained original bike!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:58   #5
BHPian

This is what a hardcore bullet lover looks like. Love for the machine transcends all obstacles. I too remember seeing the bullet for the first time at the age of 4. Bought multiple bikes, bullets and rode them all. The only thing pending is rescuing an old one and restoring it. If the nature allows, that will happen one day. You must not stop restoring these beauties.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:14   #6
BHPian

One of the most loveliest and entertaining writeups I have come accross on TBHP. Beautiful pics with just the right amount of nostalgia and I was taken back to my college days and my RE. Good times.

Thanks for sharing @theqca.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:42   #7
BHPian

That is a visual treat. What a beauty!
Wishing you thousands of trouble free and fabulous miles.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 12:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
I'd been reading this like a quirky, funny, well-worded ownership experience but it's actually a love letter to a Bullet masquerading as such!

Our paths may be intersecting, weirdly enough. I'm on a different timeline and have no intentions of selling my Duke 390, but I am infact in the market for a vintage Bullet. Mainly, to be honest, to transport in time my dad to his stonking, supercharged years as a freshly sculpted second-lieutenant in '82.
Thank you. Do check with your father what sort of a motorcycle he is looking for or perhaps you decide on what year / era you need. Because each model would look different and feel different (and it's not just the crank weight).

1960 to 1962 will have mudguards which look very different. The frame shape too is different.
1970's the shape again will be different along with the way the bike moves because the internals too changed.
If your father had a model from 1980 /81 /82 it would look a bit different from models from the late 80's. The late 80's is when the bullet started looking more modern (comparatively).

Just to give you a fair idea how a different era will make the bike look different: This is another bike that I have (pic below). A comparatively more modern one -see the shape of the front & rear mudguards, wheel hubs, fork and tank design with the bike in the photos above.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210528_184058.jpg

@Jeroen - Thank you. Yes that definitely would be a B series that you had. Can completely understand the need for changing the gearbox - The last thing you'd want to do is press the gears in an emergency situation thinking you are hitting the brakes.

@commonman - Thanks. All the best in your quest for an old bullet.
@RedTerrano - Thank you.
@amvj - Thank you.
theqca is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 12:49   #9
BHPian

Awesome transformation. Its a beauty to watch vintage vehicle in its original glory. Great work!! Keep riding.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 14:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful thread of the G2 Bullet! Similar to the scooter and mopeds, also the Jawa, Bullets have a special place in most of our memories. You are a true blue Bullet fan and owner!! Thanks for sharing valuable information about the various models, especially the info about the crank. Congratulations, the Bullet looks beautiful!!

My Dad used to own a 1971 Bullet. Used extensively till 1995 and unfortunately gave it off to a friend owing to old age. I was in 6th std back then and years later, I realized what my Dad had done and it was then I started searching around for my Dad's Bullet. Cutting the story short, the search ended in Feb 2021 and I brought the Bullet back home!! A dream come true!! More on this in the upcoming thread.

Here's a picture of my Dad's Bullet.
The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-20210328_124547.jpg

Last edited by arun1100 : 5th June 2021 at 14:44.
arun1100 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 14:43   #11
BHPian

What a lovely write-up. You have a wonderful knack of conveying information with humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Starting the bike
Before computers had the plug & play concept, the bullet had the kick & pray concept which was what all of us did while starting the bike
Everlearner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 16:40   #12
BHPian

Sir, you are a witty magician with words, loved reading the entire thread. Great info and some very incredible pics. I can see the passion. Shared it with a friend of mine who is crazy about the older 'bullets'. Thanks for sharing and kudos!
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 17:44   #13
BHPian

A lovely write up with humor. Enjoyed reading your post.
Rangy62 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 19:38   #14
BHPian

Your bike is beautiful and her story is interesting too. I had fun reading your post. I look forward to reading more from, probably about your Bullet next time. Thank you so much!
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 20:50   #15
BANNED

Wonderful read.

I have a thing for simpler machines and I find your machine intriguing.

If it's not much trouble could you please share specifics about your ignition. I'm curious to know how the Emergency function works.

As for back-kick, presuming compression isn't the issue couldn't you try retarding the Ignition?

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks