Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 21:00   #16
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story

What a brilliant story, and written beautifully. I have a 82 which I bought brand new, and can echo every sentiment you mentioned, especially the kickback if timing was over advanced.

Thanks for making me smile.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 21:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Starting the bike
Before computers had the plug & play concept, the bullet had the kick & pray concept which was what all of us did while starting the bike.
OMG! I fell off the chair reading this bit!

My kids and wife started wondering what I was reading and kept pestering me to show them and when I finally did, they didn't get it! And I was still laughing!

You have a very unique style of writing. Love your sense of humour.
laxmanrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 22:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ayaz this was a rock and roll read. Thank you for sharing your love affair with your motorcycle. I identify with most of what you have written as I own a 1965 G2 (my dad’s to be honest but he lets me get away with the illusion). The only point where our views would deviate would be w.r.t the look of the bikes. While I respect the need to maintain originality of automobiles from a documentary or historic standpoint, I prefer the approach that affords them the same status as a cherished spanner or hammer, a tool but a tool that you can’t live without.

To that effect, my G2 is not original by any stretch. I have most of the original parts in the attic but I’ve kept the motorcycle functional and it still leads a fairly rigorous life. Until recently it was running 40Km every day with the occasional 80Km weekend ride. I expect to be doing similar weekend miles once the lockdown ends.

I grew up with the motorcycle and perhaps it deserves a thread of its own but it has been a while since I contributed to TeamBHP in a meaningful way. Your thread just might be the incentive I needed, the inspiration I craved.

I’ll leave you with a photograph of my dad’s G2...my G2.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-57711a69232f41e1ad7ef8b2b736608e.jpeg  

Last edited by gsferrari : 5th June 2021 at 22:26.
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 22:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post

My Dad used to own a 1971 Bullet. Used extensively till 1995 and unfortunately gave it off to a friend owing to old age. I was in 6th std back then and years later, I realized what my Dad had done and it was then I started searching around for my Dad's Bullet. Cutting the story short, the search ended in Feb 2021 and I brought the Bullet back home!! A dream come true!! More on this in the upcoming thread.

Here's a picture of my Dad's Bullet.
Thanks! Look forward to reading about it whenever you post it on the forum.
The bike looks lovely and I'm glad you managed to get it back.

On looking at the pic - a few modern parts have been added and this most probably was done by either your father or his friend to make the bike more comfortable and convenient to ride on a daily basis like the wiring, switches, seat, indicators, tool box with key, stand, footrest etc.
Good thing they didn't make any major change and have retained the old cycle type hubs and mudguard. I've seen a few B series bullets where the owners have even thrown out the old mudguards and cycle type hubs and put everything from a newer model when they open up the bike for "restoration" or rather, their version of restoration.
Your bike however still retains old looks (which is a good thing) and can easily be made to look like how it did in 1971 if you ever feel the need to do so!

You can check a YouTube channel by the name of SonofaGun run by a gentleman called Anand - he's got some very good, accurate information and photos of old bullets.

@silverstreakcbe - Thanks. Its not completely original though. Mine retains some of the old world charm but I wouldn't win any awards in a classic motorcycle event to be honest.

@Everlearner - Thanks. Its always good to have some humour. Can't take life too seriously.

@mh09ad5578 - Thanks. Hope your friend finds it useful.

@Rangy62 - Thank you

@adwaith - Thanks. I don't know when I'll get around to writing about the other one. Its the silver bike in the photo a few posts above.

@ashwinprakas - Thanks.
The emergency option takes current directly from the alternator and bypasses the battery. This option was there in all old bullets. The bike will need quite a few hard kicks to start and will jerk quite a bit while riding but it will get you home.
The older models with the magdyno (or magnet model as the mechanics call it) have an advance/retard level with which this can be done. The models with the delco points have a governor plate which does the adjustment automatically so you cannot change it as and when needed. Kick-back is part of the bike and its something that you get used to. As I've mentioned in the article - Sometimes you kick the bullet. Sometimes the bullet kicks you.

@keroo1099 - Thanks. 1982 is a great bike to own. Does yours still have the Bing carburetor or did you change it over the years to Mikarb?

@laxmanrk - Thank you. I don't blame them. My sense of humour is a bit dry.
theqca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 01:20   #20
BHPian

Excellent thread, your love for your bike is visible all throughout.

My dad had a 1972 Bullet from 2012 to 2015 until he passed away. Now it's sitting with his friend who has a classic car collection and I'm counting down the days until I turn 18 so that I can lay my hands on it

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210606_011614.jpg

Cheers
Gamerk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 01:44   #21
BANNED

Thank you, I got curious and did some digging to get some more clarity and stumbled on this;

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-screenshot_2021060601062965.jpg

Have to hand it to them for providing this option, quite a contrast to the later models that wouldn't budge without a working battery in place.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 07:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:

@keroo1099 - Thanks. 1982 is a great bike to own. Does yours still have the Bing carburetor or did you change it over the years to Mikarb?
At some point it did run on a Bing but now running on a Mikarb. I also have a 24mm Mikuni flatslide that works best on it that I need to re-fit. Mine is modded for city use, so has a drive sprocket with one less tooth for a better bottom end. The clutch is also modified to a newer 5 plate to prevent slippage that the original units were notorious for. Mine is converted to 12v just to make it more reliable, and I changed all the switchgear to a more modern setup. The head is ported and polished so it runs on an iridium plug. Like you, I try and do most of the tuning myself; tappets, timing, air screw, jetting, etc. but leave the more heavy duty repairs to my mechanic.

I find working on the bike and my old Gypsy very therapeutic, and something I can't do on modern vehicles. I guess that's why I have hung on to them for so long.

Cheers.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 10:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I) Bitten By the Bug
What a lovely Sunday morning read theqca mate. Delighted to see a fellow G2 owner on TeamBHP who has so lovingly restored his motorcycle. I am from the same school of thoughts where my vintage motorcycles (G2 and B1) have remained the same as they were when they left the factory, albeit the G2 needs full restoration. I can relate to the process of restoration you must have gone through but the end result is always worth it. The first Bullet 350 I acquired was a 1996 model "light crank" (still have it.) and that is what planted the bug in me. Over the years slowly and steadily acquired a 1969 B1 followed by 1961 G2.

Once a teen in my building exclaimed, "The Kabir Singh Bike!" after looking at my 69 B1. I smilingly told him, "Buddy it's not The Kabir Singh bike, it's a 69 B1 Royal Enfield Bullet."

I believe like many you too have switched from 6V to 12V as you mentioned to have fitted an Amaron batt. Mine too have the 12V.

Your thread reminds me that restoration of my G2 is long overdue and I need to plan it out.

Owning a 2004 AVL 350 Thunderbird and 2014 UCE Thunderbird 500. My hand still reaches out for the keys of my old CI motorcycles. I am sometimes in a conundrum which one to ride (61, 69 or 96)? So I carry all the keys to the parking lot. This calms me down and helps me choose according to the whims and fancies of my mind.

Once again thanks for sharing your experience and a brilliant write up.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 01:00   #24

Love the picture of the older Bullet with the chrome mudguards and silver tank taken at sunset. This bike has the right stance in muy opinion for a period Bullet. Very reminiscent of the Triumphs of old. I had a 1969 Bullet that I rode all over the south of India in the 40s. Still have it and needs to be restored soon. It had original Dunlop wheels on which the chrome never deteriorated.

Although someone has commented in this thread that there is no difference between parts made in India and in England, in those days, there certainly was. Indian rims used to rust while the Dunlop ones made in England never did and the dirt came clean off no matter how much it was ignored. This was due to the several layers of copper and nickel that were never compromised. Today the process would be cost prohibitive and therefore the compromise, I suppose.

Regarding there restoration, the bike is in Chennai and I would love to hear of a restorer who can bring the bike back to life the way I envision it. I am out of touch with the enthusiasts and Im sure the various clubs can be of assistance.

Good luck with your ride and have a lot of fun , for there is nothing like an old Bullet with the original thumper sound. Congratulations.
John Cooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 05:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful motorcycle.

Riding this generation of motorcycle is an art. Some folks get it, most don't.

I believe there is some truth to the whole heavy crank light crank bit, though for someone selling a motorcycle claiming a heavy crank, there is no real way to prove it unless you strip the engine apart. In my personal view, the way the bike starts and idles is a good indicator on the weight of the crank. There is a certain rhythmic beat at idle and even when you are cruising ~70kmph on these old 350's. Even my Standard 500 cannot replicate that beautiful beat. It sounds as if the engine is spinning way too fast for a beat to register properly. A well tuned cast iron 350 is music to your ears.

Yes, these old bikes with a heavy crank does require you shift early. I feel the engine is more at home just lazing around due to that crank versus the new uce screamers. You're basically riding on torque with the old engine.

Had attended Royal Enfield's Rider Mania event with a fellow FM back in 2009 - 2010, in Ooty. This was the point where the event started to get more mainstream and you'd find mostly loonies revving the nuts of their Enfield's. I can't begin to describe the way they tortured their engines to announce their entry! At this event, there was a competition for the bike with the lowest engine idle speed. It had to idle stable too. I don't remember the bike too well today but it was from one of the older generation with points ignition system. You could not hear a single mechanical component during idle. It was as if every mechanical part was running soaked in oil. Just a nice clean exhaust beat. My bike makes the occasional tappet clank or click and you know what part is moving up and down. There were several G2's on display at this event.

On the gearbox, there is art to using it and the blip isn't really for style (It can be). The bike uses a non synchromesh gearbox so every gear shift needs to be timed right, at the correct engine speed. It is like driving an old Fiat or Ambassador or any old car with a non synchromesh gearbox. Going from 1 to 4 is less of an issue. The other way round is where you need precise timing else you gnash the gears. That blip does not needed to be pronounced. It can be done with gradual use of the throttle and goes almost unnoticed.

I would reposition the mount location of the side stand to where the main stand is located. I've seen folks fix it where you have. It isn't ideal in terms of that particular part of the frame, as it isn't designed to take that sort of weight.

The riding pleasure of these old Enfield's are something else. My Interceptor gives me joy but it isn't anywhere near as satisfying compared to my Enfield 500.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th June 2021 at 05:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 08:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I have most of the original parts in the attic but I’ve kept the motorcycle functional and it still leads a fairly rigorous life. Until recently it was running 40Km every day with the occasional 80Km weekend ride. I expect to be doing similar weekend miles once the lockdown ends.

I grew up with the motorcycle and perhaps it deserves a thread of its own but it has been a while since I contributed to TeamBHP in a meaningful way. Your thread just might be the incentive I needed, the inspiration I craved.
Thank you.

Yes a write up on your motorcycle especially with old pics and all would be a pleasure to read. It's great to have a G2 that was purchased new by your father - most bikes these days have had multiple owners. Not that there's anything wrong having multiple owners but it makes your bike unique. There are too many bullets which are not really kosher so to say.

Since you still have old parts you can always get the bike back to how it was if you ever feel the need. Maybe a few years from now you'll take it up as a long term restoration project. Make it a classic rally worthy entry.

I can see from the photo that you haven't chopped or cut off parts (thank god). Apart from switches, handle and other cosmetic changes I can see that you've removed the old cycle type hubs and added new ones with a disc brake. Do hold on to the old ones and don't junk them - people sell replicas for around 5k these days. You've also got quite a lot of original parts - for example the rear footrest is original even though you've put the new type rubber on it.

I came across this bike for sale yesterday at so sharing this screenshot to give you an idea of what I mean when I say there are too many bullets which have a lot of "gadbad" or "jugaad" as its called in local parlance. Its either done on purpose to mislead buyers, get a higher price or perhaps done out of lack of knowledge but because of these reasons a single owner bike like yours with history has a special significance and value.

The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-img_20210605_134058.jpg

Last edited by theqca : 7th June 2021 at 09:08.
theqca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 10:31   #27
BHPian

@Gamerk - Thanks. Its nice to know that you'll soon get your hands on a nice B series. Have fun!

@ashwinprakas- I wasn't aware of these technical diagrams. Are they from a workshop manual?

@keroo1099 - definitely very therapeutic sir. We are sailing in the same boat.

@navin_v8 - Thank you. Oh that Kabir Singh bike is a very irritating term. Infact if you try googling information about the Kabir Singh bike you'll be surprised at the amount of crap that people come up with.

Some gems from the very first two results google threw up since it's considered healthy to laugh in the morning at the beginning of an important office conference call:

"The model of the Kabir Singh Bullet Bike shown in the movie is Royal Enfield G2. This model of Royal Enfield is a retro classic and it was offered by the Enfield Company based in England. The exact model year of the bike used in the movie is unknown, however, the model of the bike might be between the 1970-1990s."

And this is from Quora. Equally hilarious.
"Its an old model- Royal Enfield G2 the one seen in the image. It was produced in the 1950's. But before Kabir Singh - its Arjun Reddy where the bike is seen !!!!"

Yes the 12v switch had to be done. I've still got the old wiring intact but the maintenance free amron battery seems to be a better option.

That's a lovely collection that you have. Find a nice 80's model and you'll have completed the entire range from the 60s to the 90s.

@John Cooper - Thanks. Its the shorter old British seat that gives it the look that you are referring to. When the bullets started getting more Indian a longer and wider seat (like the ones you see on most bullets today) was one change that the company made. You still get the old type seat frame (Delhi made) so if you need one for your bike you can buy the metal seat frame and then go to any seat guy to add the foam and cover.

That ride you did across South India must've been one hell of a good ride!
Agree with you about the Dunlop rims. They sure don't rust. The also look better because of the pattern they had with 3 spokes on one side and then a single spoke. The new ones do not have the same visual appeal.
I'm sure you'll find a lot of restorers in Chennai. There are a lot of sellers too who sell parts online so its relatively easier these days. Do be careful though as our customer service levels leave a lot to be desired and there is a complete lack of accountability from most of these sellers I've seen online.

@sandeepmohan - Thank you. Yes I agree most people don't get it.

My bike does make some noise (if you want to call it that) and it's not completely silent like the bikes you've described.
I've never attended any events or ridden with a group / club because of those characters you've described. No offense meant to anyone. I'm sure they have valid reasons for behaving and riding the way they do. As long as they are having fun without harming anyone else all the best to them.

I think its always better to live with some tappet noise rather than risk making them a bit too tight and ending up with engine problems. As long as there are no unhealthy sounds from the bike I'm happy.
Making the bike completely silent would be great but difficult for me to do. It would need a very high level of expertise and will have to open it up a few times I think.

Yes I agree blipping the throttle definitely has technical reasons while downshifting but I do it while shifting up as well because it sounds nice. (Hence the reference to riding it stylishly). It's just my way of having fun while riding.

Royal Enfield has had 3 positions for the side stand.
The orignal one on this bike was at the same place but was painted and has a tip at the end (its not a flat end). I fixed this one in chrome thinking it might be slightly better (its made to be fitted at this position and not near the main stand).
You are right about the stand not be very stable. Both the original stand as well as this one do not provide a very stable or sturdy method of resting the bike and hence you'd have noticed the bike was only on the main stand in all the pics.
I do not know why Royal Enfield selected this position for mounting the stand. They did correct it a few years later though.
My main stand is also not the original one. The older one was without the lever type part which you can press with your foot to pull the bike on the stand.
The other 2 positions for the side stand are near the main stand (like you mentioned) but this stand has a different type of a bracket and fitting. The 3rd one is in the front just behind the front wheel where the engine/crashguard bolt is located. I had that type of a stand in my deluxe bullet from the early 90's.
theqca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 13:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

What I love about my G2 is that very few people request to borrow it. They can't wrap their head around the RHS shifter. I would also have to really know the individual before I give them the keys because panic braking with the gear lever while running into the back of whatever came into your path could be devastating...

...for my beloved motorcycle, my heirloom.

I also use the Neutral short-cut lever to shift down from 4-3 and 3-2. It takes a certain "feel" to know how much of a tap you need to give it. I used to do this because my G2 had an issue shifting down using the regular gear-lever (pulling up). It would miss gears a lot on downshifts. I had more success using the neutral lever. Doing the last refurbishing effort this problem was sorted out so I no longer need to use this technique to downshift smoothly.

@Azaz - Yes I do have the original front hub, rim, an old stay and some other small parts. I do not have much else. Even the tank I am using now is larger than the normal RE tank. I suppose I could buy a regular tank and acquire the front and rear fenders and a seat plate to get back some sort of period look. Fortunately the color scheme transfers even with swapped parts. I have a smaller rear rim (18") because I wanted the squatted look but I am not a fan of this and will probably revert to 19" very soon.

It has been 6 years since the refurbishing effort but the bike still looks mint so I am going to be clever about the mods reversal so I don't have to bite off more than I can chew in this pandemic.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 15:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Lovely writeup, to say the least. Not only extremely informative and entertaining, but also heartening, given your undying passion for the lovely motorcycle you have there. Wishing you many happy "dug-duggy" miles on it

I have had the pleasure of owning a 1999 model Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc over 2005-2014. I still kick myself once in a while, for selling it off due to lack of usage, especially after restoring it to the best of my ability. The "kick and pray", the ever-dancing amp-meter, the decomp, "heeling" the gearshifts, those humble screws to adjust the idle & air/fuel mix, that bassy beat at 60 km/h - all these are still fresh in my mind and cannot be paralleled by any other bike today! Thank you so much for bringing those lovely memories back to me.

I will take the liberty of posting a picture of the same. Hope you don't mind.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield G2 Bullet Story-bullet.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 7th June 2021 at 15:02.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 15:04   #30
BHPian

A great write-up.

For somebody who has just gotten into riding, that entire era is a source of inspiration.
I've heard many stories from my dad about his Yezdi, Bullet, RX and RD350's.

Have also often seen him drool over well loved examples such as yours, and I can only hope to ever love my rides the way you two gentlemen do.

Wishing you many more miles of happiness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks