Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 14:55   #1

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review

Hi everyone, this is the first time I am writing an ownership review so please forgive me for any mistakes and also please do share your feedback on this, even if you don’t like something as constructive criticism is always welcomed.
I will try my best to make it up to team-bhp quality levels. Advance apology for the lengthy post.

Also I want to make it clear that I am writing this review based on my own experience and these are purely my views.

As they say “ if you don’t turn around to look at your bike after you’ve parked it, you bought the wrong bike “ and this bike sure makes me turn around a thousand times whenever I park her. Welcome to the story of my black beauty the Bajaj Pulsar NS200 a.k.a “Atrium”.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20200913_204031_688.jpg

Let’s start the review in a typical team-bhp fashion with the likes and dislikes section first.

What I like -

• Engine performance- Quick acceleration and top speed.

• Looks- Those sharp contours and creases.

• Comfortable ride- Nicely tuned suspension.

• Sporty handling- Riding on mountain roads is fun.

• Brakes- Good stopping power & ABS.

• Liquid cooling- For long rides.

• Easy part availability.

• Relatively cheaper maintenance.

• Powerful headlight – 55/60W halogens lights up the roads without blinding the oncoming traffic.

• Nice backlight switchgear.

• Beautiful split tail lamps.
My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-162228792967701.jpeg

What I don’t -

• Older design- Just a few sticker jobs since 2012.

• Basic semi analogue instrument cluster missing basic features such as Gear shift indicator and DTE. Etc.

• Poor paint quality- Prone to scratches.

• Long turning radius- Movement of handlebars feels restricted.

• Uncomfortable pillion seat- The pillion seat is really hard and small, no one wants ride pillion on this bike as it gets painful even on shorter rides.

• Weight- Difficult to reverse on slopes while sitting.

• Mild Vibrations around 4-5k RPM.

• Poor attitude of Bajaj service centre employees.

What could have been better

• Dual channel ABS- Only a single channel variant is available even now .

• Electronic fuel injection- Available only in BS-6 models.

• LED indicators from RS200 should have been provided, these bulb indicators spoil the look.

• Better fuel efficiency- Getting around 30-32 Kmpl in the city and 35-36 on the highway.

Prologue-

This part is going to be long and maybe a little boring, So please feel free to skip it if you don’t feel like reading a long post.

Background-

My mom says I was a born petrol head and the only thing that could make me happy was the sight of moving vehicles. When I was a toddler and used to cry then my mom had to take me out of the house so that I will see the moving vehicles and stop crying. Automobiles have always attracted me.

Cars were a part of my childhood. As my dad runs a taxi business I had access to all kinds of cars that were popular as taxis at that time in Delhi. I literally grew up listening to names of different kind of car parts and related terms from my father.

When I grew up, I was more interested in cars and trucks than bikes but they do attracted me. But because we didn’t had a two-wheeler at home I started my two-wheeler journey a little later.

I learnt to ride on my uncle’s LML NV scooter when I was awaiting my +2 results, and I fell in love with the feeling of riding a two-wheeler. I just loved to ride so much that I was always on the lookout for excuses so I can going out for a ride.

So when I was in the second year of my Automobile engineering diploma, I got to know that one uncle of mine was not using his scooter anymore and it was just standing in his parking and collecting dust. I just casually asked him can I have it and he happily just passed it on to me. Naa..just kidding had to persuade him for weeks actually.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-fb_img_1622037816677.jpg

So that’s how I got my first two-wheeler. That happiness was short lived though, after just seven months the poor scoot got totalled in a freak accident when a car rear-ended me. Let’s leave that story for another day for now.

Coming back to our story, after I recovered from the accident somehow I lost interest in scooters but couldn’t get that feeling of happiness and freedom that riding used to bring, out from my mind.

I started researching about bikes and best riding practices on the internet and learnt many things about bikes and riding. I used to read many forums and watch a lot of videos.

Meanwhile, I was managing to satisfy my need for this happiness and freedom by borrowing bikes from my friends and family for short rides to nearby places. Although these experiences were very far and few.

This riding bug had bitten me and I was really interested in riding now and I wanted a proper bike for myself this time.

Why? What and How?.

Why?

Life moved on and things got changed, after completing the course I got placed in a construction equipment dealership in Chandigarh where I worked as a field service engineer. Providing after-sales service to excavators and all kinds of construction equipment in Haryana, Punjab and Himachal.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20170111_082558899_hdr.jpg

As it was a field job I was travelling long distances everyday mostly towards remote locations and under-construction highways for work assignments.

I started to feel a need for my own vehicle and discussed for the same at home, my parents were not ready for it after the last experience mom was really scared. She didn’t wanted me to be riding a motorcycle everywhere especially when I was living alone in another city.

Things changed again and I left that job after 1.5 years and moved back to Delhi. Now I was in a better position to persuade parents for the bike, although with the workplace so close to the home it was more of a want than a need. Somehow managed to convince them.

This is how Atrium came into my life.

In the end of 2017 , I started my research and shortlisted a few options.

What?

This was the difficult part, with a budget of around one lakh I started my search.

Asked around in my circle and watched lots of reviews. Tried out few bikes of my friends and colleagues. From all this, I realised that I wanted a naked bike with a neutral sitting position, which has enough power for the long rides, is easy to fix so I can work on it myself and it should come with ABS as an option at least.

Keeping these things in my mind I shortlisted a few options.

Options considered

RE Bullet 350 Std.

Always had a soft spot for the bullet, but the only variant in my budget was the Std. 350 which was too bare bones and lacked basic features such self start, disc brakes, even a fuel gauge wasn’t there. The main compromise was going to be the absence of ABS though.

One weekday evening I went to the RE Jhandewalan showroom with my father, It was a really disappointing experience, to say the least. Inquired about the model at reception and they told us to wait and a salesperson will attend us soon.

We waited for almost an hour and literally, no one attended us. Even though the showroom wasn’t looking that busy.
Reminded the receptionist multiple times that we were still waiting to be attended to and got the same response every time.

This experience made me decide that this brand wasn’t worth considering anymore. If these people treat a prospective customer like this, how poorly are they going to treat them at the time of after-sales?

Suzuki Gixxer 150

Went to the Patel Nagar showroom, staff was really nice and courteous. They explained all the features and financing options nicely. And offered a test ride too.

Test riding the bike found it to be really smooth and refined. But somehow I couldn’t feel a connection.

Thanked the staff and went home with brochure and price quotation leaflet in hand. Overall it was a nice experience.

Yamaha FZ

My folks at home didn’t liked the look of this bike, one of our neighbours had it and on riding his bike I felt it was similar to Gixxer in terms of performance.

TVS Apache 4V

I didn’t liked the looks of this bike, the front looked weird with the absence of a visor (no offense to the existing owners) , although it was one of the most feature loaded bike and the newest of the lot.

Bajaj Pulsar ns160/200

Went to the Bajaj showroom in Jhandewalan, liked how the bike looked, the salesperson was a knowledgeable guy and explained the features and specs of both bikes nicely along with the financing options.

Took small test rides of both the bikes and was impressed with 200’s performance. Thanked the showroom guys and went home.

Now after comparing all the options, NS200 was clearly the bike with the best performance and the only one that offered liquid cooling and a six-speed gearbox. And also I liked how the bike looked. I was sold on it.

Discussed about it with my parents and they were ok with it as long as I could afford it.

How?

The next day visited the Bagga link Karol Bagh showroom again and booked the bike against an amount of ₹ 2500. The model I finalized was NS200 BS-4 in sparkling black and matt grey colour with single channel ABS, was told the bike will be delivered the next day.

I wanted the bike with MRF tyres as I had read in reviews that they were better than the Eurogrip tyres that were also offered. Got to know that the ABS variant that they had in stock was shod with Eurogrips only.

Talked to the sales manager and was assured that it will be taken care of and I can take the delivery the next evening.

Went to take the delivery of my bike the next evening she was kept ready with basic accessories installed and tyres switched to MRF nylogrips, performed a quick PDI and every thing seemed to be OK.

Paid the pending amount of ₹47k through bank transfer as the down payment and the rest financed from Bajaj finance.

Didn’t opt for the complimentary helmet and got ₹800 removed from the total amount, as it was a very basic open face helmet that was being provided and I was looking to buy a better full faced one.

Had opted for zero dep. insurance from the showroom itself and was given the printed copy within a few minutes, which was from United India insurance.

Was given a quick walk around of the bike and explained the features, toolkit and first aid kit placement etc.

Temporary number was fixed on the bike and she was ready to be delivered. Took her straight towards Jhandewalan temple and got the pooja done before taking her to her new home.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-fc2ef8967952462bf2cf239c79b0772d.jpg

(The phone I was using at that time got damaged and I lost all the data, so I don’t have any photos from the delivery day.)

The price break-up

Ex. Showroom- ₹111015
Road tax- ₹9608
Smart card (RC)- ₹200
H.S.R.P- ₹69
Zero dep. Insurance (United India)- ₹3644
Total On Road Price- ₹124536

Extended warranty/service package

Extended warranty or service packages weren’t being offered at that time. I would have surely opted for Extended warranty if that was being sold.

Although Bajaj started to offer these later, but extended warranty was only being sold to new bikes.

I later opted for service package for the third year though. Which I got for ₹1545. It covered three free services (Labour charges), Two washings and one Teflon coating, additionally 10% discount on labour (for repair jobs) and 5% off on parts.

Last edited by _nilaygandhi : 1st June 2021 at 18:03.
_nilaygandhi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 16:26   #2

Long term ownership review of my Pulsar NS200 "Atrium"

The name "Atrium"?

Actually, before even thinking about buying a bike, I had already decided on this name that I will be giving to my car or bike when I’ll buy one.

I think it was the result of me regularly visiting Teambhp that I thought about naming my car/bike. As naming one’s ride is a very common thing here.

And why I chose Atrium, actually this has a connection with my own name. Nilay ; निलय is the Hindi word for Ventricle, which is the name of one of the chambers of the heart. The name for the other one is Atrium.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210530_155627.jpg

So that is how I decided the name Atrium for my next ride.

Living with Atrium

Initial impressions

I was really happy riding my first motorcycle bought from my own earned money. That feeling of happiness and freedom was back. Had started making plans for long rides already.

But things don’t always go as planned. Soon actually too soon into the ownership, my new bike started giving me troubles. This was a heart-breaking experience for me. I’ll write more about this part in a separate section.

Apart from this trouble, everything else looked good and felt good I was really enjoying the bike. My parents and friends were happy too.
My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210528_211813_470.jpg

My observations

At the time of writing this review Atrium is 3 years and 4 months old and her odometer stands at 22k km.

My bike sees a very low daily usage as my office commute to work is only 12km which is mainly in dense city traffic.

Rest is covered mainly on Sunday rides or long rides. As I prefer to either walk or cycle to run errands.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20200118_105430.jpg

Engine/Drivetrain performance
My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210530_165346.jpg

This bike is powered by a liquid cooled 199.5cc single cylinder DTSI (Digital triple spark ignition) engine which produces 23.5PS. It has a six speed gearbox which delivers power to the rear wheel via chain drive. I believe these are very healthy numbers.

Mine is a carburetted version as EFI was not available in BS-4. I feel the performance to be adequate for the city as well as highway usage.
The bike is very responsive to throttle and gearshifts are smooth too.

I have done many long rides and it is very easy to cruise at highway speeds. 85-90kmph can be maintained at around 6k RPM.

The exhaust note sounds similar to KTM’s but it isn’t that loud. I like how the exhaust sounds very muted and almost inaudible in traffic noise. As I am not a fan of loud exhaust sounds.

Heat management is an issue in heavy traffic, when the radiator fan kicks in it diverts hot air to my legs. Not a good experience to have on a hot day in Delhi’s summer.

Winter causes different issues, early morning starts are difficult. Although the bike starts in first self but idling is very erratic and it dies very soon.

Choke has to be kept pulled, but that lever also doesn’t holds its position for much longer and comes down automatically. Bajaj service people are not able to solve this even now.

Suspension & handling

Suspension duties are handled by conventional telescopic shock absorbers up-front with a travel range of 130mm and at the rear Nitrox mono shock having 90mm of travel range with 9 step preload adjustment.

I find the suspension to be fairly comfortable, it is neither too soft and neither too hard. And does the work silently.

I have kept the preload set at the 4th stage, which is ok for me most of the times but I have observed if there is a healthy pillion riding with me the reflector under the rear number plate touches the tyre hugger while going through bigger bumps and potholes.

But I ride solo most of the times so that is not much of an issue for me. And also the preload needs a special tool for adjusting so it is not user adjustable anyways.

This bike offers very sporty handling. It features a set of split type handlebars which are nicely weighted, leaning on corners is easy and riding on mountain roads is fun.

Name:  GIF210530_172523.gif
Views: 9777
Size:  4.90 MB

What is difficult though is riding in traffic or narrow roads as the end to end movement of the handle is very less, it is particularly cumbersome to filter through traffic or take tighter turns.

Another issue is that, these split handle bars leave very less space to mount accessories, so mounting phone holders etc on handlebars is an issue.

Comfort and ergonomics

The seating position is a little forward lean and also the rider footpegs are rear set, I am 5’8” and you can observe my seating posture from the below picture.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-7c40cffc444935347f30a27dad629039.jpg

The seating position is neither too aggressive nor relaxed.The clutch and brake levers although of non adjustable type are easy to reach.

I find this position comfortable for my riding style. I have done many long rides clocking up to 750km in a day and I have had no issues so far.

What is not comfortable though is the cushion of the seats, the stock seats are really hard, I have tried to sort this problem by adding a layer of foam from a local seat repair shop and also got leatherette seat covers fitted at the same time.

But the rear seat is another story it is not only very hard but also very small, it remains uncomfortable even with the additional layer of foam that I have also got fixed to the front seat.

Most of the times I am riding solo, so it doesn’t really bothers me but whenever there is a pillion with me they’ve always complained about the discomfort. And most of them prefer not to sit again.

Brakes

It has a twin-disc set-up, a 300mm disc on the front end with double piston floating type calliper from Bybre and a 230mm disc on the rear with a single-piston floating calliper from Bybre. ABS is a single channel unit.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210529_102004.jpg

I feel this bike has sufficient braking power and the bike can be safely brought to halt from decent enough speeds without much fuss.
ABS is nicely tuned and kicks in at the right time. It has saved me many times already.

I would say it was worthwhile investing that extra sum and going for the ABS variant as the non-ABS version was also available at that time. But it would have been even better if it was a dual-channel ABS, which is not being offered even now.

Bajaj auto needs to take a stand and start providing better equipped products at the very least in terms of safety equipment and not wait for the government to make a law about it. Even the competition is offering dual channel ABS in their products now.

Tyre and rims

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210531_184303.jpg

My bike is equipped with MRF zapper tyres in sizes 100/80R17 in front and 130/70R17 on the rear. These are tubeless tyres and are installed on black alloy wheels with a twin five-spoke design. Alloys come with grey stickering on the rim which looks good and matches with the colour theme of the bike.

MRF tyres are durable and offer good grip on dry surfaces, wet road grip is not that good though as they skid and slide easily. Tread life is good and I believe they can easily last 6-7k km more.

Also, there has been only puncture till now, which was on the rear tyre thanks to a nail. Luckily I was able to notice the air leak before the tyre going fully flat.

Instrument cluster

The bike is equipped with a semi analogue semi-digital instrument cluster. It has a round analogue tachometer in the centre which also houses the ABS warning light and a blue backlight digital display on the right.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-162237101154801.jpeg

This digital display consists of a speedometer, odometer, two trip meters. It also has clock and service reminder. The digital display can be controlled by two switches marked M and S. There is also a RPM limit light that starts blinking in amber colour on reaching the red line.

A part of this digital display overlaps with the circular tachometer where a digital fuel gauge is placed. It shows the fuel level in bars, there are seven bars on full tank.

I don’t find the fuel gauge to be much trustworthy, and I am yet to find a correlation between the number of bars and the amount of fuel left in the tank.
I find it better to rely on the trip meter reading which I always set to zero after every refill.

The left side of the tachometer houses various tell tale lights such as temperature, battery and engine oil pressure warnings. Also neutral, indicator On, Headlight beam status along with Bajaj logo.

Name:  GIF210531_205445.gif
Views: 9405
Size:  3.95 MB
Instrument cluster does a full swipe on turning the ignition ON.

Watching that red tachometer needle is a sight to see as it eagerly reaches the redline which is set at 10.5k RPM. The speedometer is easy to read and looks beautiful at night time with the blue lighting shining bright.

Switchgear

The switch cluster on the left handlebar features a toggle switch for high/low beam, a pass switch, along with controls for indicators and horn. Indicators are not self cancelling type, while the earlier pulsar 150 used to have them.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-incollage_20210530_100044770.jpg

Whereas the right group houses an engine kill switch and starter switch. The place which used to have a headlight on/off switch in BS-3 models is now covered by a cheap-looking plastic piece.

The switches are ergonomically placed and offer haptic feedback. They are easy to use and can be operated without taking eyes off the road. Also, these switches are backlit in blue and look beautiful at night.

Lights and Horn

The Headlight is a halogen unit which features a 55/60W H4 bulb, the throw is really good and it lights up the road efficiently.
I am really impressed with the headlight performance so far. Lighting performance has been satisfactory be it rains or even foggy weather.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210531_211141.jpg

Name:  GIF210531_204658.gif
Views: 9651
Size:  4.98 MB

Tail lights are signature split LED units which are a bit different from the other range of Pulsars. They look good on the sharp tail section and grabs attention.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210531_182411.jpg

Indicators are bulb type which I believe don’t look that good. It should have come with the LED units that are seen on RS200 and D400. But anyways these can be swapped, which I am planning on doing soon.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20200115_134746_173.jpg

Horn is a single unit Minda which is not very loud and sounds just about okayish. I prefer the tone of Pulsar 150’s horn more. But I am not planning a swap as I don’t use the horn much anyways.

Storage

Under seat storage can be accessed by removing the rear split seat which opens with the ignition key, storage space is almost non existent and there is only enough place to store the toolkit and either the documents or a cleaning cloth.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-162247434805501.jpeg

I only use that space to keep a micro fibre towel for quick dusting as I carry only digital documents in mparivahan app.

I normally carry my backpack for groceries or a pair of Bungees if I have to carry something bulky.

Accessories and customisation

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210531_194209.jpg

There is not much in terms of accessories that I have added. I have installed a hazard light system and KTM Duke original hand guards. I use the hand guards only during long rides and remove them after the ride.

I have also added a couple of stickers and Ladakh prayer flags along with amber reflectors from BS-6 model on front shockers. I had switched the pilot lights to red/ blue police combo but I have reverted to stock set-up. Also i have switched number plate light with a white LED.

Someone scratched the tank badly when the bike was parked outside and I didn’t wanted to deal with the hassles of claiming insurance so wrapped the tank to hide the scratches and decided to live with it for now.

Riding gears

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-162246691907801.jpeg

Steelbird Adonis helmet, I bought it from the shop just opposite to the Bajaj showroom. Planning on upgrading soon.

Scimitar Razor riding jacket with rain liner and winter liner, purchased this during the 2018 auto expo, got it at a decent price at 25% off.

Basic Pro biker gloves and knee guards bought from Karol Bagh, planning on upgrading soon.

I normally wear my ankle length steel toe safety shoes during long rides.
I also wear a reflective safety vest during late night and early morning rides or where visibility is low.

Currently these are my riding gears I am planning to add and upgrade as soon as financially possible.

Pulsar memorabilia

After Atrium entered my life, I started to buy these goodies related to Pulsar NS series one at a time without even thinking much. Over the years I have come to have a nice although small collection about which I realised only after I started writing this review.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_093807.jpg
Key rings

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_101146.jpg
Phone case

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_094615.jpg
T-shirts (Blue one with actual registration number printed)

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_094053.jpg
Backpack with skull sticker (cut from 3M reflective tape , increases visibility too) matching with the bike's and a custom batch on the shoulder strap with registration number printed.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_103625.jpg
Some goodies I got during Pulsar's Stampede ride.

Last edited by _nilaygandhi : 1st June 2021 at 18:30.
_nilaygandhi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 14:49   #3

Long term ownership review of my Pulsar NS200 "Atrium"

Niggles and issues

The very next morning after taking delivery of my new bike, when I was on my to work I noticed the low engine oil pressure light was glowing continuously. I contacted the Bajaj salesperson immediately and he assured me there is no issue and they will get it checked if I bring the bike to them.

Surprisingly light didn’t glow during the evening commute and I thought maybe it was just a coincidence.

The next day was my off from work so I took the bike for a ride to Murthal, again the same thing repeated. On my way back I took the bike to their showroom. Showroom people just washed off their hands from all this and told me to contact the workshop.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210531_232220.jpg

The issue could not be reproduced there so even the workshop people were not of much help.

This started to happen every day, malfunction will appear in the morning and disappear in the evening. All this was becoming really frustrating for me by now but the frustrating part had not even started till then.

What I had understood by now was the pattern that, the malfunction will only appear only for the first time the bike is started in the day and stay till the key remains in ON position. If I turn the key even once the malfunction won’t glow again for the day.

Every time I’ll complain I’ll have to take a day off from work burning my leave balance to take the bike for a workshop visit, they’ll replace one part but the next day the same story will repeat.

Though I preferred not leaving the bike with them overnight. But I even let them keep the bike for four days once on their request as they wanted to test the bike and were assuring me the resolution.
Still, the issue was not resolved.

Facing this issue was one thing but dealing with Bajaj people was the bigger headache.

I registered many complaints to Bajaj customer care, what will happen is I will get a message confirming my complaint is registered and in few minutes another message the complaint is closed.

On calling the customer care and explaining everything again and again
they were even heard bluntly saying only engine and crank are covered in the warranty.

Just imagine buying your first bike from your hard-earned money and experiencing this.

What level of customer service is this? I can’t understand. Being from the same industry I have seen how much importance is given to customer complaints but maybe I was yet to experience the whole new level of advance customer care from Bajaj auto and the dealership.

Even after so many escalations, it took them three long months to finally resolve the issue after a mad part replacing spree something finally solved the issue and even they were not able to pinpoint what exactly was causing the trouble.

This is the level of their diagnostic ability. Even the thought of burning the bike right in front of their showroom crossed my mind a few times but I just loved riding my bike so much that obviously, I couldn't have done it.

Although even the malfunction glowing the bike used to run absolutely smooth and I was just loving my new ride. But the mere sight of that light glowing would get me mad, It was a really frustrating experience.

I don’t know why I didn’t thought about sharing my experience on teambhp at that time maybe it would have helped.

Service and maintenance

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_153540.jpg

The bike has been regularly serviced at the Bajaj workshop (except for the most recent service), I have tried to follow the manual as religiously as possible and have used only original parts.

When I give my bike for servicing at Bagga Link Bajaj, I prefer to get my bike serviced only by one mechanic Tejpal bhai. Because I like the way he works on my bike giving attention to detail and without cutting any corners.

Servicing experience has been nice so far at Bagga link Bajaj, I can say that at least in the case of regular maintenance and mechanical jobs although not in case of electrical issues as you can tell from my experience above. What is not good is obviously the customer care and the way they deal with customer complaints, they definitely need to improve on this part.

Maintaining the bike has been easy so far as parts are relatively cheap and easily available almost everywhere. And most of the time I can work on the bike myself although it is easier to just go to Bajaj workshop and get the things done, as it is not much far and now I have good rapport with the staff and almost everyone at the workshop knows me.

I clean the chain and lube it once every 500km and pressure wash and polish the bike once every month. I use Wurth products for chain maintenance and Sheeba liquid polish to make her stay shiny always.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-162254211688701.jpeg

Apart from regular maintenance and that low oil pressure malfunction issue the following parts have been replaced on my bike till now.

RHS tank shroud- got damaged in a fall during my Jaisalmer ride.

Clutch lever and LHS rear view mirror- they broke off when a reversing car bumped into the bike and knocked it off its stand.

RHS shocker rod and seals- the rod got damaged due to a stone hit which in turn damaged the seal and caused the shocker to leak.

Cone set bearings- a loud thud noise had started to appear while going over undulations.

Battery- conked off one evening just after it had three years, I was waiting at a signal and it died on me suddenly, had to push start the bike. AHO and lockdown to be blamed here I think.

Clutch and throttle cables- replaced as preventive maintenance only, they didn't had any issue.

Recent service

Just the day before the lockdown 2021 was announced in Delhi, I had arranged Motul 3100 20W50 engine oil, Bajaj Genuine oil filter, a set of front and rear brake pads each and one bottle of Motul coolant and one 5L bottle of distilled water (for Flushing) from a nearby shop as her service was due.

So I utilised my time servicing the bike during the lockdown and I am happy to report she is running much smoother on Motul oil as compared to the Bajaj oil that I was using earlier.

Summary

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_165722.jpg

There have been many ups and a few downs too in this journey with Atrium so far but overall I am quite satisfied with the bike, it still gives me that feeling of happiness and freedom for which I bought it and she brings a smile on my face every time I ride her.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_163712.jpg

I have done many rides with her already and have plans for many more. Hopefully, I'll be able to take care of her in the best way possible and she too will keep taking me to beautiful destinations.

I am planning to keep this thread regularly updated. And will try to post about her upkeep and all our future rides and adventures.

Till then leaving you all with some more pictures of her.
Thanks for reading.

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20190211_150453.jpg
My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_165254.jpg
Few milestones.

Name:  GIF210601_123853.gif
Views: 8082
Size:  2.17 MB

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-33edc56379029c156c9c7c0c23b2433e.jpg

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_174534.jpg

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20210601_174023.jpg

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-162254696730701.jpeg

Last edited by _nilaygandhi : 1st June 2021 at 18:44.
_nilaygandhi is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 07:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review

Awesome review!

Having owned a Bajaj Pulsar NS200 myself between 2013 and 2016, I agree that the motorcycle offers good performance, looks stylish and is a pleasure to ride both in the city and out on the highway.

I also faced a few niggles with my motorcycle though, especially with the stock Eurogrip tyres. I ended up changing them to MRFs, which worked much better.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

_nilaygandhi, welcome to the forum. I really enjoyed your review of the NS200. The quality of the two wheeler section of this forum is increasing with all the detailed and informative ownership threads like this one!

Everyone talks about the Duke 200 but the NS200 is actually a very competent motorcycle as well. I find the NS200 to be of the more underrated bikes in India. My brother owns one and is quite happy with it. What mileage are you getting from your bike?
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of bikes that don't have an official review have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-pulsar.jpg
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Awesome! Seeing you on scooter brought back my memories when i rode 1993 Bajaj chetak to office. I have it on my garage, will plan for a restoration in near future. Great going, all the best.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 20:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Awesome review!
I also faced a few niggles with my motorcycle though, especially with the stock Eurogrip tyres. I ended up changing them to MRFs, which worked much better.
Thanks, 😊 glad you liked the review. Yes, I had read about Eurogrips or Euroslips as they are more famously referred to on the forums that is why I had made it clear at the time of booking itself that I want the bike with MRFs only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
_nilaygandhi, welcome to the forum...
Everyone talks about the Duke 200 but the NS200 is actually a very competent motorcycle as well. I find the NS200 to be of the more underrated bikes in India. My brother owns one and is quite happy with it. What mileage are you getting from your bike?
Thanks, Neil for all the appreciation and yes, I agree with you, NS200 is a much underrated bike here in India.
I am getting a mileage of around 30-32kmpl in the city and 35-36kmpl on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of bikes that don't have an official review have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Attachment 2163167
Wow, I had not expected that my first ever thread will be getting so much appreciation here.
My thread being posted to the Team-BHP homepage and sharing screen space with some of the best reviews is an achievement for me. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreakcbe View Post
Awesome! Seeing you on scooter brought back my memories when i rode 1993 Bajaj chetak to office. I have it on my garage, will plan for a restoration in near future. Great going, all the best.
This is one of the very few photos that I have with the scooter and seeing it makes me feel nostalgic too. Hoping to see a thread about your chetak's restoration soon.
Thanks for the appreciation.
_nilaygandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:31   #10
BHPian

Hi Nilay Gandhi - Great review . Very detailed and spoken from the heart. As a fellow biker who owned a NS 200 (Yellow version ) I can surely confirm that the Bike was a joy to own and drive. I have since graduated to a Dominar 400.

However, I had a niggling issue of a thud in the front wheel whenever I went over a large bump / ditch, which could never be rectified by the Bajaj service mechanics. Despite this I loved the Bike. Quality of Service has never been Bajaj's forte.

Wishing you many more years of safe and memorable trips with your Atrium - Take care and Ride safely
Old 3rd June 2021, 13:34   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review and thanks for sharing. Good to see a detailed NS review. I guess I was one of the first lot buyers when it came out in 2012. Found it a perfect bike for me and I had grand dreams of doing a lot of trips with it and then upgrading to a bigger bike. That never happened and it has ended up being a commuter bike most of the time. But that is one good thing about it, can be used as a regular commuter bike while at the same time has enough grunt for long rides also.

Maintenance has been a challenge with the Authorized centers doing a terrible job and always looking to cheat you. Since couple of years found a reliable shop and things have been good since then. Still going strong after close to 9 years.

All the best for many more miles of happy ownership.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Congrats on your Atrium! I can totally concur with the points you have mentioned and the NS is practical and an emotional machine.

I bought my bike in 2014(that time it was known as 200NS and I liked it that way). Mine is the Ebony Black color with no graphics at all, just the way I like it.
The midrange is very good in this bike and the BS3 bikes were really quick. The BS4 ones are toned down in power due to a canister filter in the back seat

I get about 29-31km/l in Bangalore city, 35-36 on regular highway speeds.Sometimes this number goes to 40 as well if I'm light on the throttle. 33 with pillion on highway.

As you said, Bajaj service guys have no clue and they just rip off on the bills. Every 5k kms changing the engine oil(motul 7100) and the oil filter does the trick. Other maintenance issues, I tend to do it as per kms covered or if there's any wear/tear. The euro grip tyres are actually euro slip tyres. Best tyres I've used is MRF revz s but tyre life is very less at 10k kms and prone to punctures. Also maintain 26 psi for front and 33 for rear tyre.

For the horn, you can try the Skoda horn but not the trumpet type as it'll conk off after a few showers.

This bike is a keeper though! Wishing you many miles with your bike.

Here's my bike after 7 years and still looks good!
My Bajaj Pulsar NS200 "Atrium" | Long-term Ownership Review-img_20201226_095714.jpg
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks