Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 12:08   #1

Steps to fire a motorcycle back to life, after keeping it parked for 18 months

Hi Everyone,

Issue: My bike has been parked since December 2019, without even Engine start. I got ill back then and after Corona crisis and lockdown, my bike was parked in my work location flat for almost 1 year with me working from home.

When i finally got the bike picked up to my native place, it won't start (obvious) and battery was dead. Now fast forward, it's still in the same condition as past few months were very tough due to Corona and illness and now, i finally have time to think upon getting bike back to business.

Model : Pulsar Rs 200 (2015)
Insurance: Zero dep with engine coverage
Engine (bike) idle since: Dec 2019 (18 months)

Next steps?

Please suggest what should i do now. What i was thinking first was to get the battery replaced with a new one (as it had already started showing signs of being run out in late 2019) but not sure about the major component being Engine.

Will a normal service suffice (highly doubt) and what should be the best steps. I would really like to know what to do (please read below) from experienced members or someone who knows the best in this situation.

Thanks!
nayan_ncr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 12:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Steps to fire a motorcycle back to life, after keeping it parked for 18 months

If you plan to do it yourself.

Step 1 - Fill air, inspect the tyres. Get it cleaned cosmetically with a good wash.
Step 2 - Remove battery, give it for charging or get a new battery.
Step 3 - Drain the fuel tank and fill fresh petrol.
Step 4 - Ideally replace the engine oil and filter and clean the spark plugs and air filter.

Step 5 - Do some fuel pump priming (switching on the ignition without using starter few times) and fire her up.

Edit: If this is carbed bike, so most likely you will need to do a carb clean up as Step 5/

If you plan to give to the workshop, ask them to do a complete service and attend to the battery and new fuel. All of the above should be taken care of.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th May 2021 at 12:21.
Jaggu is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 12:29   #3

re: Steps to fire a motorcycle back to life, after keeping it parked for 18 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you plan to do it yourself.

Step 1 - Fill air, inspect the tyres. Get it cleaned cosmetically with a good wash.
Step 4 - Ideally replace the engine oil and filter and clean the spark plugs and air filter.

Step 5 - Do some fuel pump priming (switching on the ignition without using starter few times) and fire her up.

Edit: If this is carbed bike, so most likely you will need to do a carb clean up as Step 5/

If you plan to give to the workshop, ask them to do a complete service and attend to the battery and new fuel. All of the above should be taken care of.
I plan to get all of this attended to by the service center.

1) Once the bike is serviced, will get nitrogen refilled after completely emptying the current one.
2) Will get this replaced locally (there is a known person so he will probably help me save few bucks on new battery). Need a new one, as old one was ending its life.
3) Will get this mentioned on top of priority while getting it serviced.
4) Added to (3) for service center notes
5) will do this myself

Quick query: Will this much idle period have adverse effect on Engine? Is engine gonna work the same way or it needs some attention as well. If yes, what should be asked for check up from the service center?

Thanks much!
Old 30th May 2021, 12:43   #4
BHPian

I myself had the same issue with my Apache bike last year. The bike was at my friends place for an year and had not been started due to Covid.
The issue found in my bike was clogged fuel line and the fuel switch was corroded. Cleaned the fuel line and changed the fuel switch and the bike came back to life.

Try checking these two things as well alongwith the steps mentioned bu Jaggu.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 20:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Step 1
Step 5
Perfectly summed up.
Along with his check and replace the cables (throttle and clutch) if required. They tend to weaken since they are spring loaded and left idle for a prolonged period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayan_ncr View Post
Will this much idle period have adverse effect on Engine?
Not at all, unless you try cranking the bike without following the above precautions.

PS: Couple of similar cases from me. They are left in hibernation again
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5046368 (1998 Yamaha RX135 Restoration completed : Now, 5 speed converted!)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5046387 (Black Streak Tale - TVS Scooty Streak Ownership Review)
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 03:59   #6
BHPian

Most importantly, please remove spark plug and pour in a small amount of engine oil. Then fit the spark plug back before you try starting the bike again.

Battery charging/change
Clean brake shoes & change brake oil
Engine oil and oil filter too

Renew insurance and emission certificate.
I think that would be sufficient
SS80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
This is perhaps the most sensible step by step. Kudos.
Besides this I will also suggest inspecting all pipes and wiring. You never know what havoc rats and other vermin might have wrecked.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Steps to fire a motorcycle back to life, after keeping it parked for 18 months

The biggest concern for RS200 is the fuel pump and fuel tank in this case. I have seen many cases where these two get damaged in RS200 after prolonged inactivity. Check Youtube for similar videos and concerns.

I had purchased a pre owned Pulsar RS200 (2016 manufactured) in Sept 2017. It had done 2500km at the time of purchase.

I was riding it for 2km daily till July 2018. The bike saw inactivity between July to September 2018 that resulted in the need for replacement of the fuel tank and fuel pump costing me 9k or something. The service center recommended that I drive the bike daily but did not specify how much. It also advised me to fill just enough petrol for 15-20 days (keeping some margin ofcourse for fuel pump).

I did everything as told but the bike again developed same issue in 2019 when I disposed it off for good.

I learnt the following:
1. Empty the fuel tank if RS200 not used for few weeks/months. Preferably do this at the start of the anticipated inactivity rather than at the time of restarting.
2. Examine for gummy residues etc. Get the bike towed to ASC and get the tank cleaned or serviced if you suspect deposits. This will save the fuel pump.
3. Fill fresh petrol before starting the bike.

My Honda CBR never troubled me even though it was parked for atleast 3 months on two occasions.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 6th June 2021 at 13:01. Reason: Typo while typing from mobile
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 13:38   #9

Re: Steps to fire a motorcycle back to life, after keeping it parked for 18 months

I am having the same situation here with my 200NS. Cleaned up the carb, 2 out of 3 spark plugs were cleaned ( i cannot remove the 3rd spark plug, its too tight and I'm afraid that i may damage it if i put in more force.), Drained the tank. But since its lockdown here I am not able to get my battery charged.
Firoshg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 15:22   #10

I had a similar problem with my Pulsar AS150. It is inactive in Bangalore for about 10 months. I left my vehicle with almost 5 liters of Petrol in March 20. My flat watchman called me saying my bike is leaking oil in around August. I asked my colleague to check on it and was told that fuel lines were cut for stealing petrol.

Cut short to January 21, my bike is not parked at the location I left in March 20. Pushed it to a garage I knew nearby. Got the battery replaced, tank and carburettor are cleaned, fuel lines and spark plugs are replaced, rear brake shoes are replaced. Spent around 4K for repairs and shipped to native. Then during this transit the transporter broke the windshield and hit from bottom at engine while unloading and scratched the tank. Spent again 200 bucks (windshield was paid for by transporter). Need to do something for scratches on tank and damaged oil pressure and side stand sensors.

I suggest to get the tank and carb/injectors cleaned. Same goes for spark plugs. Replace the fuel, get the fuel lines checked. It should be ok.
Old 6th June 2021, 18:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to what Bhpians have added.

1. First and foremost and very important, start off by draining and replacing your the engine oil and make sure your fuel is drained completely irrespective of how it appears or smells. Use fresh fuel of a couple of liters so that the bike can crank, do not fill the tank with the fresh fuel completely.
2. Inspect your air filter and air inlet pipes, for any wasp nest, cobweb and just plain crap lodged from rodents, very important again.
3. Make sure your battery is good, if not make sure you get your battery replaced and recharged depending on the condition.
4. Adequate tire pressure should be foremost.
5. These steps are safe to be followed for a bike that's been stoved for a while, and I'd insist you do the same. If you're not able to carry out these on your own, bring in a trusted mechanic and make sure you follow his advice or share the above steps so that it is easy.

Having a fresh and new battery, will help in starting and general maintenance easy on the bike, so get a new battery if your current battery is dead.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 6th June 2021, 20:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Steps to start a 30 year old motorcycle parked idle for many months...
1. Go to motorcycle
2. Turn on fuel tap
3. Pull the choke lever
4. Kick hard to start; if it doesn't keep repeating the process until it starts

Voila!! The bike started!! Keep it simple says 2 Stroke Rx
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't fret, since its a carburetor version, just ensure you
- Replace the Engine oil
- clean fuel system (carb, fuel lines etc)
- Replace Coolant
- Clean fuel tank from inside if needed
- Clean spark plugs
- Replace/Recharge battery
- Optional: Inspect Air filter, usually it won't clog up if the bike is idle as its inlet is usually hidden below seat)

Once the bike starts and reaches operating temperatures, ride it hard (redline at each gear, maintain safe speeds) for few minutes.

We just started my brother's Hero Honda Ambition (~2007) which has been lying idle for 3 years, took it to a local mechanic who just cleaned the spark plug and carburetor, didn't even have to charge the battery to get started These things are pretty resilient.

*For FI engine, I use a fuel injector cleaner every time I take the bike out after a long gap.

Last edited by NiInJa : 7th June 2021 at 19:13.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 12:47   #14

Hi nayan_ncr,

I also own a Pulsar 200 NS and was in a similar situation as yours. In addition to the valid points already mentioned in this thread, I would recommend you to check for below items too:
1. Check brake pads - both Front and Rear). The pads get rusted with time and do not offer adequate abrasion to stop the vehicle. Also rusted brake pads may damage the brake disc which cost ~2200 for the pulsar.

2. Check the chain and get it properly cleaned and lubricated. Also check for rust. Bad chain can damage the sprockets and the riding experience poor will also be poor.

PS: Not using the bike for a long time can lead to cracks on the tyres leading to poor grip and can make the them prone to punctures. I got my bike's tyres replaced once I got it delivered to my hometown but then they were already at the end of their life. Do check this as well.
BloodyRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 15:39   #15

Need advice to get my Gixxer running smooth after more than 1 year in the garage

I did something very stupid. I filled up my Suzuki Gixxers petrol tank before the first lock down began, more than a year ago, and I barely rode her since. I started her a few times, and covered a few kilometers once in a while. She was running a little rough, but I put that down to disuse, and the petrol in the tank being old. She was making a put-put sound like an Enfield, whilst before she used to purr like a kitten.

I've been very busy over the last 2 1/2 years, and have barely ridden my bike. Even before the lockdown, her tank contained some old petrol, which the service center mechanic told me was the reason for the change in exhaust sound. I didn't drain the old petrol, instead I topped it up reasoning that diluting it would make the problem disappear.

Fast forward 2 years - my bikes battery went dead, and kick starting had no effect. I called a mechanic to service the bike and charge the battery. He informed me that due to the petrol turning rancid, the bikes carburetor had jammed. He put it in paint thinner for a couple of days, and the bike started working.

Initially she ran fairly smooth, and the put-put noise was much reduced.

But then she began stopping while running. I turned the carburetor screw to raise the idle rpm, and that helped for a bit, but soon she began stopping the moment I eased up on the throttle.
I took her to the service center today, where we noticed that there was black smoke coming from the exhaust at lower rpms, but cleared up when we raised the throttle. (The bike jerks a lot at low RPM's, but is pretty smooth at anything above 4000 revs.) The mechanic tried a different spark plug (the tip of ours was black), but that didn't help. An older mechanic at the service center, who didn't look too trustworthy, had looked at the bikes black smoke and told me that the engine head needed to be removed and serviced. The younger guy concurred after trying the spare spark plug.

The mechanic who'd serviced my bike and charged her battery had told me that the carburetor was jammed, and even though he'd cleaned it, it was still rough, and would get better with use.
I'm pretty clueless as to what the problem could be and I'd appreciate some help in getting my girl running smooth again.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st July 2021 at 19:03. Reason: Adding paragraph break for readability. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks