Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 02:07   #1

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan

Hello fellow BHPians,

This happens to be my first formal post on the forum which I plan to make a bit detailed.

Quick Introduction, I am a fellow BHPian from Gujarat and have a strong inclination for Motorcycles and 4x4 (own a 1996 MM550). This post though is going to be about my journey with Motorcycles and my builds on them.

The First Motorcycle: 2010

I was still pursuing bachelors, I got my first motorcycle, Honda Unicorn Dazzler. This marked the beginning of the many motorcycles and mods through the years.

As a student I had no income, so I started working on Data Entry jobs along with my studies. This was so that I could fund my innate desire to mod my motorcycle. Over the course of the next 3 years, as I saved and spent the money, I gradually modified my Dazzler to probably one of the fastest ones in the country.
This included 7 Engine Rebuilds (4 big bore failures and 2 upgrades to finally reach a steady 185cc build). This earned me the nickname of running in man in my local biking group as I was always doing a run-in / break-in of my own motorcycle as well as sometimes for my friends.

Back to motorcycle, the Dazzler had an extensive list of mods, many of which were imported from Indonesia since it was sold there as Honda Mega Pro. People my age were chasing Android phones and Gadgets, I was chasing mods.

List of Mods:
  1. 180cc Big Bore
  2. Cylinder Headwork
  3. High-lift Camshaft
  4. Protec Ignition Coil (Indonesia)
  5. BRT Racing CDI (Bintang Racing Team - Indonesia)
  6. R9 Mugello Exhaust (Indonesia)
  7. K&N R1100
  8. 28mm Round Slide Carb
  9. Bugbon Quick Throttle
  10. 9power Electric Current Amplifier (Indonesia)
  11. Low Resistance Spark plug Cable (Split-fire Twin Core)
  12. NGK Ix
  13. Custom Rear Sprocket (3 teeth lower)
The outcome of the above was as follows:
0-60: around 3.5 seconds (Was quicker than the 200s available back then)
0-100: 9 seconds (Stock bike did it in around 18 sec)
0-128: 20 seconds (Stock touched 121 in over 1 minute)
Top speed of 138 kmph

You can see the results here (except top speed. Can't find that vid)

But the above was my learning Experience. As mentioned earlier, to reach to the final result above, I had already spent more than the cost of the motorcycle and most of it was lost in engine rebuilds.

Well, the bike was fast, but nothing about it spoke reliability. As I grew more inclined towards long distance riding, I decided to let go of the bike. I converted it back to stock and sold it off, while selling off some of the Mods to other enthusiasts I could find.

Before I proceed to my next ride and its mods, Here's a pic of my Dazzler.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-dazzler-1.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-dazzler-2.jpg

Last edited by MadMotoMods : 22nd May 2021 at 02:53.
MadMotoMods is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 02:52   #2

re: An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan

The Second Motorcycle: 2013

So I decided to move to something that was equally fast and more reliable in its stock trim. I went ahead and purchased a used Duke 200 (22k Kms on the Odo).
It was a from a friend who I knew maintained his motorcycle well. He upgraded to a 390 and I couldn't resist the price offer he made. Also, he had already had a paint-job to suit his "Taste".

Meet the jagermeister edition duke 200.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-duke-jager.jpg

I took it on and rode it like that for sometime. By now, I had started making some good money from Data Entry and was about to complete my masters Degree. This time, I was not interested in getting any engine mods. The bike already had a PowerTronic installed from the previous owner. So, I decided to go crazy with a themed paint job.
What did I go for? DOTA (In-case there are any Gamers in the house).

I decided on going with the theme of the character, Dragon Knight from the game, His armour, Sheild and the logo of the game.

Below are the character and logo inspiration, just so that others can connect.
Courtesy: Valve Corporation

That's the character. I really wanted to get the shine from his armor and the shape of his helmet.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-dota2dragonknightpickrate.jpg

With the idea in my mind, I started off with getting the bike dismantled entirely. Right to the chassis. Then off went everything to paint.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-disassembly-1.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-disassembly-2.jpg

All Parts that could be platted / anodized were bifurcated and the rest went to paint. The front fork went for Anodized silver, the fork caps went for Anodized gold (which turned out yellow).

Every other alloy element, went for the special treatment. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to represent the copper hint of the armour across the bike. Hence, I went with Copper platting.

Here's the Rims post Copper platting.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rims-copper.jpg

The Helmet from vector. This was going to require some stable hands and judgement. Definitely not mine.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-vector-helmet-logo.jpg

And the finished tank with the Dota Logo and Helmet. Before it went for the final clear coat. Notice the Golden outline on the helmet. Again, this was thanks to Chintan bhai and his experience with Vinyl

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-finished-tank.jpg

The paint, anodizing and platting took a fair enough time. Reassembling the Duke was fun as well. We ended up with 6 extra Nuts / Bolts left, without a clue on where they were supposed to go.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-re-assembly.jpg

Now that we worked on reassembly and took 3 days to just get everything right, I am just going to skip to my final outcome to save everyone's time.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-finished-1.jpg
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-finished-2.jpg

and the Gem of a Mechanic (more like an elder brother, Junaid and Moin)
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-finished-3.jpg

This bike stayed with me for 2 years and 29k kms (51k kms previous owner + mine combined). Then came the thirst for something faster, better and just drool worthy.
So what's next?
MadMotoMods is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 03:19   #3

The Third Motorcycle: 2015

So after 2 tastefully modded motorcycles, I decided to go for something quick. That sounds good, is stable and can make anyone drool in its stock form.

I decided to go ahead and get a used Ninja 250. The one I got, was authentically used for 8800 kms.
After I bought it, I realized the clutch was not doing that great.

Managed to source clutch plates and swapped them in.

The Ninja 250r was a fun bike to ride. It was fast, sounded good with the parallel twin and handled like a dream. In a span of Nine months, I ended up riding it for 14000 kms. (without ever crossing into another state).

But the story of the Ninja 250 was short lived. Finding spares for it was becoming really difficult. There were only 33-35 NINJA 250r's sold in Gujarat as per the stats. So they never had any stock of spares at the workshop.

Here are some of the pictures of the Ninja.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-ninja-250.jpg
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-ninja-250r.jpg

While the Ninja was still in the house, In came the 4th Motorcycle.

The Fourth Motorcycle: 2015

The Ninja 250r continued to be the machine to travel across the state over a weekend. But I needed something to satiate my need for something adventurous.

In comes the Impulse 150. Another crazy deal.
5200 kms on the Odo and well maintained. For just 32k

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-ninja-impulse.jpg
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-impulse-2015.jpg

This motorcycle, stayed with me for a long time and also became the choice of my first big adventure. Before I go into the details of this big adventure, it was time to bid farewell to the Ninja250r.

The Ninja was probably the only bike which got just 1 mod. A free flow exhaust. Everything else was stock.
But Spares and then the need for something even more quicker arose.
MadMotoMods is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 04:16   #4

The Fifth Motorcycle: 2016

I was now at the age where I was earning ok and could afford to buy a new bike myself. Had to be fast, handle sharp and look crazy.

I welcome home the KTM RC 390. It was instant love with the discomfort followed by the crazy rush and insane handling. I just loved what this bike could do.

The visible joy on my face.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rc-390-1.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rc-390-2.jpg

As the days passed, my love for the RC grew and so did my thoughts for having some road trips.
I did a few weekend 500-600 kms trip (both ways). But I then decided to take it on a 410 km oneway trip (total of 860 kms) to Diu.
The road to Diu was not fast paced as my previous small trips and was going to take 6.5-7 hours. Luckily I had the company of a Duke 390.
We completed the journey from Ahmedabad to Diu in 5.5 hours.

After reaching Diu, I didn't have any sensation in my pinky fingers for 4 days. My previous trips were just 250 kms one way on fast paced roads. They barely took 3 hours. The additional 2.5 hours of riding the RC wasn't so fun on the wrist.

Here are some pictures from the Trip.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-diu-1.jpg

A lovely Silhouette

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-diu-2-silhouette.jpg

Overlooking the Sea
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-diu-3.jpg

On the RC 390 there was just 1 mod, a ECU Flash by Code6 Tuning.

Now talking of the year 2016, it was a good year for traveling for me. I was able to do 3 roadtrips. 2 with the RC 390 and 1 with the Impulse.

The Roadtrip with Impulse is what made me fall in love with dual-purpose motorcycles and also realizing that you don't necessarily need fast bikes to tour around.

I did a 1900 kms trip to Ahmd - Udaipur , Udaipur to NJP (loaded bike on train),NJP to Phuentsholing (Bhutan), Then 7 days across Bhutan, followed by Buxa Tiger Reserve, Neora valley and then back home. It was a 21 day road trip.

The Impulse did the entire trip without any hiccup. It wasn't fast, but it was just good in whatever came across. Twisties, slush, loose terrain, water crossing almost anything, other than high altitude. The highest I went to was 13000 ft in Bhutan and the bike had to be in 1st and at best 2nd gear.

Irrespective, the experience was an eye opener on what is important for long distances.

Here are some of the pictures:

The spectacular view of the valley while returning from Thimpu to Phuentsholing
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20160912_164154663_hdr.jpg

My fellow riders on a Fz15 and Karizma
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-img_20160909_152647409_hdr.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-bh2.jpg
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-bh4.jpg

After returning from the trip, life was happy, great and golden, until Jan 2017. During some fun with friends, ended up fracturing a bone on my right wrist and tearing a ligament. Doctor simply told me that I will not be able to put pressure on the wrist for at-least a year.

This led to the decision of letting go of the RC 390. The last pic with the RC 390
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-fracture.jpg

Next was a sabbatical from motorcycling for 5+ months, before the next ride came in.
MadMotoMods is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 04:30   #5

The Sixth Motorcycle: 2017

The Dream Come true situation for me. Decided to take the leap and purchase a used Ninja 650 from a fellow rider who had now moved to Jodhpur from Ahmedabad. It was only 14k kms on the odo.

Went with my friends to Jodhpur and drove the Ninja 650 back to Ahmedabad. First ride in itself was 650+ kms.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-650.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-20045732_1586445688034693_7880679489697241048_o.jpg

I was living the dream. Everything was going great. The ride was smooth and fun. I started planning for my next road trip.

I got this Bike 7th July 2017. Had done nearly 1600 kms on it, until the fateful day of 4th Aug 2017. On my way back from office (night shift), while overtaking a dumper truck, a stray dog suddenly ran right in front of me and crashed against the front.
I toppled multiple times and slid across the pavement for atleast 25 ft and so did the bike.

The bike insurance was not yet transferred and the overall cost of repairing the 650 was higher than what it costed me. I had 1 of two options. Salvage and sell what I could and declare it totaled, or try to get it fixed which was not possible for me without insurance.

Had to go with the former unfortunately. Within 28 days, the bike was gone.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-650-crash.jpg

While I was sad, it was a grave reminder of what bikes are and what bikers are exposed too. I was lucky that I survived that with just deep skin abrasion that now stand as reminding scars. I had my helmet and a fully packed back-pack that saved my back from scrubbing against the pavement. The helmet saved me from the topple. Everything else, was saved by luck / fate / God.

Took around 1.5 months to recover before I got on a bike. The Impulse was still with me and stayed with me as the only motorcycle through 2017.
MadMotoMods is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 04:56   #6

The Seventh Motorcycle: 2018

After saving up some money, I finally decided to get myself a ride. The best thing to have hit the market at that time was the new Duke 390.

Went ahead and booked one and took the delivery on Rossi's B'day. (Also upgraded my Gears)

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-duke-390.jpg

Completed my Run-in in 5 days and got it serviced.

In this time frame a colleague of mine was looking for a motorcycle to use. He was new in the city so gave my Impulse to him. In a few months he requested to buy the bike, I obliged. Hence we bid farewell to the Impulse (I still regret selling it).

Through the remaining days of 2018, I did a few short rides of upto 500-600 kms again. Was planning a good one up-north for 2019. However, I expected the trip to be adventurous and not so friendly on stock duke and tyres. Also the ADV 390 was still a fabled unicorn back then. I decided to upgrade my Duke 390 in a way that it could do good on-road and on some trails as well.

Hence Started the Mod List. The plan was to raise the height. I didn't want to spend on getting suspension, so decided to raise height by tyre wall size.
Next was protection for under-body, without increasing too much weight. So a Bash-plate and fork covers for the USD.
Along with it, needed wind protection, luggage carrying capability, better ergonomics etc.

Started procuring all the stuff and narrowed down to the below set of mods.

Additional Mods / Accessories:

# Lluvia Bubble Visor
# Lluvia Front Number Plate Mount
# Lluvia tail mount for Jerry Cans
# Lluvia Fog light Mounts
# Xtreme 20w Fog-lights with separate fuse and Activation switch.
# Waterproof 12v Charging socket + waterproof Usb charging socket x2
# Lluvia 25mm Handlebar raisers
# Kriega Off-road USD Fork boots
# Lluvia front Mudguard raiser.
# Lluvia Alluminium Bash Plate
# Lluvia Touring Sprocket ( 42 teeth for smoother top end)
# Bikers Billet custom Radiator grill / protector
# Bikers Billet Side Stand Shoe
# Autologue Design Stomp Grips
# KTM Tank Pad
# Zana Motorcycles Tail Rack
# Shad sh 37 top box
# Zana Motorcycles Saddle Stay
# Timsun Dual Purpose On-road / Off-road Tyres

And the outcome?
Regular Football for Height reference
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-img20190901wa0059.jpg

Small weekend escapade.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-img20210114wa0030.jpg

And I loved the way the bike looked
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-img20200704wa0058.jpg

Everything was great and golden, except that, I fell in Love with a woman and decided to get Married.
Fast forward to few months before marriage and post marriage. The lovely adventurous duke 390 was just ferrying myself and my wife to and fro from office and weekend city outings. The big ride never happened.

My average riding speed dropped to 45-60 and the duke was never happy and fun at those speeds. Neither was I.

Then came 2020. Ended the entire possibility of riding anywhere. Not even to office. The duke stood still for 3 months, till I decided that I would never be able to do justice to this ride. Neither will I ever be able to ride it the way it was meant to be ridden.

So with a heavy heart sold it off to a lovely enthusiast, who was willing to pay the extra money for the accessories.

Untill 2018, all my motorcycles were roughly averaging at 15k-16k kms. Even the Duke 390 did 11k kms in 2018 and then just 7k in 2019. You guys already read why.

So, I decided to now finally get a motorcycle that can do justice to city riding where it would be tractable. Is comfortable for me and my pillion and is definitely something that I can take on an adventure.

The title of my post, pretty much speaks for itself, on what the next and my present motorcycle is.
MadMotoMods is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 01:44   #7

The Eight Motorcycle

I have a friend who has the BS4 Himalayan Sleet. We had swapped our rides when I had my KTM for a few days. Wifey took a liking to that motorcycle, due to its comfort and the bare-bones look that it carried. This was back in early 2019.

So when the time came for me to decide on my next motorcycle, I had to choose something that could do long distances, be supremely comfortable for me and my pillion, do fairly well in the city and the most important of all reasons was tractability low down.

There really weren't many feasible options available that fulfilled this criterion at that time. (CB350 wasn't yet launched). So in July 2020, I decided to get the BS6 Himalayan. Was informed of a 1 month waiting period after paying the booking amount online. I obliged.

After booking and nearly 2 weeks, I got a call from the showroom stating that if I could make a full payment for the motorcycle, they can try to get me the bike before the others waiting since everyone had just made the booking amount.
I was foolish enough to agree to that and paid in full.

And then began the struggle. Week after week the bike got delayed. I went to twitter, reached out to the regional head for sales. Tried everything that I could to expedite the delivery.

Ultimately, got the bike in Oct'2020 a full 3.5 months after booking (3 months after full payment). As a compensation, I did get a good enough discount on some of the RE GMA parts.

Before we jump to delivery, let me tell you something about myself. I have an innate ability to research on practically any motorcycle and find out every possibility of mods, including ones that can be "Jugaad-fied" to work for the bike I am looking for.

What does the above mean for the Himalayan? Even before the delivery of the motorcycle, I already had a set of accessories and Mods ready to go on the motorcycle.
I talked with the Showroom and they agreed to help with all the changes right after PDI and before delivery.
My initial goal was to continue with rugged look of the Himalayan and losing some weight where possible (since I was adding accessories)

So what all did I order initially:
1. Nexus Gears Headlight Grill
2. Nexus Gears Oil Cooler Guard
3. SW Mototech Header-pipe Guard
4. Nexus Gears Brake Oil Reservoir Guard
5. MotoFusion Master Cylinder / Heel Guard
6. Zana Crash Guard
7. Nexus Gears Side Stand foot (A must buy from any brand for Himalayan)
8. Carbon Racing Tall Visor (Didn't Fit)
9. Barkbuster Handguard VPS
10. LSL Handlebar Cross Brace
11. RE GMA brace pad
12. LSL AS'04 Aluminum Handlebar (820mm wide)
13. GIVI Tank Ring mount and GIVI ST602B tank bag
14. Rox Handlebar Risers (2")
15. Real Carbon-Fiber Exhaust Heat shield (ADV Tribe had run a trial batch)
16. Real Carbon-Fiber Center console cover
17. Autologue Tank Grips
18. EBC HH Sintered Brake Pads for front
19. Philips Extreme Vision H4 55W/60
20. Xram Mobile Mount
21. RK Takasago 520 Pitch 15-38 Chain Sprocket set (Stock is 525 pitch so this is way lighter)
22. Motocaan Mudguard Risers (25mm)
23. Motocaan Footpegs (Must have for anyone touring on Himalayan)
24. RE GMA Pannier Set and saddle stay
25. Timsun Tyre set (Since Ceat Grip XL seems puncture prone)
26. RE GMA Touring Seat
27. Pro-Spec Easy Brake (Extended and 1 side raised brake pedal. More comfy for touring and easier to reach with full size off-road boots)

So as I took the delivery of the motorcycle, it was already a lot more to my liking and a lot far from what the showroom guys had ever thought they would deliver. However, this literally was just the start. "Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost"
All the bigger mods started popping in later.
Without Spamming everyone, I am just sharing some of the pictures during the assembly and the delivery.

The LSL handlebar, brace bar and the CF center console
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-lsl-handlebar-cf-center-console.jpg

The Real deal. Carbon Fiber Heat Shield.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-cf-heath-shield.jpg

The Bling Bling Cha-ching RK XW ring chain sprocket set- 520 Pitch
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rk-2.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-del-1.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-del-3.jpg

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-del-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-ready-delivery.jpg  

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rox-riser.jpg  

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-timsun.jpg  

Last edited by MadMotoMods : 27th May 2021 at 22:00.
MadMotoMods is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 03:18   #8

The bike was in and so began the run-in. Had these been normal times, the 500 kms would have been done in a few days. However, the world as we know it, has changed.
It took me 2 weeks to complete the run-in and on the first service the only major complaint was the bike really loved going to the right.

Seems it was a common issue with many Himalayans, including the sleet my friend owned. Got the wheel alignment done during the service but it just improved the situation, not resolve it.

With the run-in done, began the 1500 kms break-in.
Normally, I wouldn't mod my bike in this phase, but being at home there wasn't much productive stuff to do. So whenever I wasn't working from home, I was making plans on what upgrades to do next.

First Up, the wind buffeting was really annoying. I am 6'1" and the stock screen was not working out for me. The carbon racing visor couldn't fit since I was using the Barkbusters.
So, found Pro-Spec to be making the deflectors / visor extenders for multiple motorcylces, including the himalayan. The only other option was Wunderlich, but I could by 3-4 Prospec visor extenders for that price.

So, the order was placed.
(continuing the count)
28. Prospec Visor Extender

Then the RE GMA touring seats. First of all, I must say, they are really good for an already heavy cushioned butt like mine. But, they get dirty real soon and the dirt sticks on it. Hence, I wanted to fit a cover on top of it.
The Himalayan always felt more retro than anything else. So, I wanted to add more to this. Ordered seat covers from Sahara Seats and boy oh boy were they a treat.

29. Sahara Seat Covers

While I had multiple experience of long distances on a motorcycle and was accustomed to the variance in comfort - discomfort, I thought to make an addition of a back-rest. First it would serve an additional purpose of comfort for my pillion (wife) and second, I felt it would look good with the motorcycle.

Zana made backrests and I have always loved that brand, but it required a tail rack as well. Which I didn't seem to mind at all. I like how tail-racks make the bike look and also the practicality when carrying luggage (I no longer prefer solid top boxes after the duke 390).
So, order 29 & 30

30. Zana Tail Rack with Aluminium Plate / Tray
31. Zana Back Rest

As these were ordered, my wife decided to utilize the work from home opportunity to have an extended stay at her hometown.

The after she booked her tickets, I placed multiple orders with a specific note on each that said, "Please deliver your orders after 22nd Jan".

So what was next?

32. PowerTronic ECU with Map Switch
(A must for the added grunt of the motorcycle. Doesn't make it faster but just better curve I feel)

33. RacingBoy 17mm Radial Master Cylinder
34. YSS Rear Suspension
(will talk about the above 2 later)

35. ChargeDex 3.0 Chain Oiler
36. Vesrah Ceramic Brake Pad - Rear (Better than stock)
37. Splitfire Twin Core low resistance cable
38. NGK IX CR8EIX
39. K&N Stock Replacement
40. Powerage Slip-on exhaust (Simply because this is the only exhaust that has mounts for the Heat shield. Can't let the Carbon fiber go to waste. Also looks like stock)
41. Cylops H4 10.0 Ultra LED (Definitely one of the best light upgrades possible. It's bright. Trust me)
42. Go Charger (Touring necessity)
43. RPC Front Fork Pre-loaders )
44. A4 MotoDesigns Aux Light Mount
45. A2Z Regulus A10 Aux lights
46. Mad Dog Aux wiring Harness
47. Moxi Aluminum Adjustable levers
48. Rubbatech UT7 (Dakar Skull) Tank Pad

This is how they were stacked up at home.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-stack-mods.jpg

Now as these started arriving, I contacted my Mech and scheduled a day to get some of these installed. I left out the Aux light & Harness, Fork & Suspension upgrades, Moxi levers and Master cylinder setup as well as the chain oiler.

Installed everything else.

Updated the PowerTronic Map with a Free Flow Exhaust map and had some lovely short runs. The bike was definitely better than what it was at stock trim.

I couldn't install the remaining parts due to the shortage of time. With the situation of my Wifey being out of town for Extended period, I decided to prance on the opportunity by planning a sudden road-trip with a friend (Planned in 3 days). It turned out to be a 2700+ KM road trip in 10 days across MP. The most epic part of the trip, was the unlikely pair of motorcycles for touring. Himalayan with a Zx10r.

The RoadTrip will have to be a separate post. But here's a teaser pic of both the bikes fully loaded and ready to leave from Bhopal on Day 2.
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-tour-1.jpeg

But this Roadtrip Substantiated that my mods were working in my favor. It also gave me a clear picture to what needed to happen next.
The Suspension which I had already purchased but not installed, was a definite requirement.
I am a tall and heavy guy and along with the luggage, the rear suspension was just too saggy. After returning back, the first thing I did was to change to the YSS rear suspension and never looked back.
The YSS is a height adjustable suspension with Preload and Rebound adjustments. After setting it up for myself, the difference is just noticeable to anyone riding it. The Himalayan feels so much more planted specifically due to the rebound working its wonders.

An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-yss-4.jpgAn enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-yss-3.jpg

The other thing I realized during the trip was the brakes. While I already had EBC upfront, the bite and feel were just not in sync. Himalayan brake Setup was never supposed to be good in terms of feedback. But I wanted to improve that a bit.
Hence the Racing Boy (RCB) 17mm Radial Master Cylinder Setup. RCB is a pretty known brand in Southeast Asia and a sponsor to many factory teams. The product is of good quality and once I installed it and took it out for a spin, the actuation was easy and the bite was instant. A couple of days for the muscle memory to set in and then the braking was just confidence inspiring.

I also got the TRIP machine Grips and Avenger Mirrors (way better than stock). You just need a reversed lock-nut (not sure what it is called) like the ones on Activa, since the thread on the RCB setup is inverse. The other change was an additional brass spacer for the Barkbuster, to fit the setup within the guards.

49. Trip Machine Grips (To add to comfort. It also matches the overall styling)
50. Avenger Side Mirrors
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rcb-0.jpg
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-rcb-grips-mirrors.jpg

Since the time I bought the motorcycle, one thing that I was waiting for and hoping for, was to get a Lithium Battery. Sadly, Shido was the only brand and it was out of stock across India. Lithium, I had a few reasons to consider the change
# It was nearly 75% lighter than Stock Batteries which weighed 3.5kgs
# They retain charge longer, hence no worries even if parked for extensive period (Except at cold temperatures, which wasn't a concern in Gujarat)
# For the occasional off-roading there was never going to be any worry about how the battery was mounted. You could practically mount it upside down if you want.
# The CCA was also better but that wasn't much of a concern.

After a lot of searching, I stumbled upon a brand called Impulse Power. Indian Manufactured LiFePO4 Lithium Batteries with the dimensions that fit the Himalayan battery compartment (actually leaves some space). And the best part, it weighs only 830 Gms.

51. IMP08-X Lithium Batteries

So, swapped that in, cranked the bike up and all was great and golden.
I don't have a picture of it installed, but here's a pic of it from their catalogue. (Product is now called IMP08-X, since they have added more to their line-up)
An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan-liion.jpg

So this was the set of Mods / changes that I made to my machine till now. I term them as Phase 1 and 2.
However, Phase 3, the biggest updates till now is still pending. The parts are here and some are on the way. Due to 2nd Wave, I delayed the installation, but will add further to this forum with the details of all that is planned.
There are still 17-19 more mods to go (Including a Bigger bore).
By now, some of you may have deemed my obsession to be insane, while some may have been appreciative of my tasteful mods. In either case, I hope you would have enjoyed reading through the journey and will stick around for the next phase.

P.S: If any of you need help or information on any of the Mods, I am more than happy to share the details. Please do note, I am just gonna give you details of where to buy from and some background to it as to how it helps (if its a performance mod / technical mod). But I have no relation with any of the manufacturers neither do I have anything to gain from them. All my mods are my choices based on my research and my liking.

Last edited by MadMotoMods : 28th May 2021 at 01:32.
MadMotoMods is offline   (89) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 06:34   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 10:32   #10
BHPian

Re: An enthusiast's journey to the most modded Royal Enfield Himalayan

Wow, congrats on your awesome biking journey. You really are passionate about bikes. I always dream about biking whenever I read such threads, but then reality sets in and just enjoy reading them. Enjoy your Himalayan to the fullest.
Everlearner is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Hey Souvik,

Bro, Let me be the first to comment on this beautiful thread, your passion for bikes is really immaculate and beyond the imagination of many. People dream of having these beauties and very few dare to own one. if all of the beauties shared same parking space together, it would have been a collection of different level. The mods and accessories done on the bikes is really commendable and neat.

Post this, the ownership review and the rebuild story of the MM550 is due now. Bring it on soon.
abhikb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 11:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

WOW! Your user name suits your character. That really is an epic journey through your motorcycling years and the Mad passion for Mods. Was really an interesting read, we all want the best mods, but somewhere it fizzles out due to lack on information or quality products. Your thread will be a big boost to it, do keep updating.

Do add details of riding gear as well! Ride Safe!
Maverick5490 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 11:57   #13
BHPian

OMG! This is the craziest blog I've ever read. The way you've upgraded your motorcycles starting with a Dazzler is really amazing. Your immense knowledge on upgrading the parts is just great!!! And now, the MODS on Himalayan are just awesome. 50+ mods already, really amazing. Your dedication requires a bow. Waiting for your travelouge of 2700KMs trip.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th May 2021 at 12:58. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks.
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:23   #14
BHPian

What a read!

For somebody with a very short span of attention, I was, to my surprise, glued to the screen.
In complete awe of the passion you have and the knowledge you've gained over the years doing this yourself.
Thoroughly enjoyed every bit.
You're an inspiration for every aspiring biker, which will probably lead to a lighter pocket for me sometime soon.
Wishing many more safe and fun miles for you!

P.s. hoping a thread about the Jeep pops up soon on the forum.
Kalash_6324 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:45   #15
BHPian

Souvik, what an incredible journey. Your passion for mods and bikes is completely off the charts. Kudos to your spirit and patience as it must have been excruciating at times to procure all the necessary parts. Looking forward to read more about your experiences and your travelogues.

Best wishes.
sohu9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks