Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:43   #16
BHPian

Re: 1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!

Wow and an amazing restoration.

These mopeds were very inconspicuous on the road when TVS and Hero Majestic used to rule the roads.

Your passion shows in the work execution and as words in the forum. A very well documented one at that. Simple machines with simple pleasures of life. Kudos to all involved
pugram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:44   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Karthik, amazing !

Suvega is one of the earliest two-wheelers for many of us. I am no exception. My mama had one, and have ridden pillion with him (I was too young). I tried to learn on this, but could not. I wasnt even able to start it ! (I later learnt riding a scooter on his 1979 Bajaj Chetak - a blue color one with the number CNM 1031.)

One question - what about the FC ? Any chance of getting it renewed ? It would be awesome if you can.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Loving these threads on obscure barn finds! Keep them coming OP. More power to you. Hope you keep posting such gems.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:21   #19

Amazing!

This is the first time I am seeing a Suvega, didn't knew anything like this even existed. I have seen a luna though in my childhood as my friend's grandfather used to have one but from what I remember it didn't looked even half as good as this.

I am really impressed by its simplicity and originality. Congratulations on a great find and an even greater effort in bringing it back to life.
_nilaygandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 12:26   #20
BHPian

Great. The suvega was a brand labeled product of Motobecane of France, made under license. If i am not wrong there was one more thread in t-bhp which was dedicated to Suvega. There was also another model called Suvega Samrat which had a motorcycle type frame with fuel tank on the frame instead of under the seat.

One of my relatives had this model and it was a spine strength tester on bad roads with the most cumbersome of riding positions. Anyways, Good work.
srini1785 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:49   #21
BHPian

This is awesome work indeed. Took me back to my childhood days, a family doctor used to have a green Suvega and his doctor's kit was hung by the side , with lid half closed. When it was parked we used to climb on it peddle it as if we were riding a bicycle.
Great restoration , and thanks for sharing
srikrishna717 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Karthik on yet another brilliant find and I must say you're blessed to find and own such special vehicles and that too in their original factory paint (other one being the Omini). Please don't paint this Suvega and try to maintain the original paint with factory decals for as long as you can. It looks special this way and very rare to have vehicles so old to be seen in their original paint.

Hearing a barn find been fired for the first time is a very very special moment. For me the day we fired the RD 200 is something I vividly remember and I actually called it a day at work early to just hear it as I had never seen or heard a RD 200 running till I bought mine.

SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 19:29   #23
BHPian

What a detailed and well written restoration log!

Thanks Karthik for sharing this.

Suvega reminds me of one childhood story. We were living in Basavanagudi in a rented house, whose owner had a Suvega, I think it was a green one.

The owners son and I were of same age and spent our afternoon together after school and lunch. The owner was very careful with the moped and never let anyone touch it, but when he was away at work during afternoons, our favourite pastimes was to play with the Suvega.

As the rear wheel was locked with a cable lock, we would spin the front wheel with our hands and see the speedo needle move - whoever clocked higher speed was the winner.

When the owner returned home in the evening, he would see the odometer has run for a few kms and would admonish his college going younger brother who had no clue how the kms increased) for using the bike in his absence, and we would look at each other and enjoy the proceedings

I distinctly remember seeing sparks from the clutch bell once when the engine was idling. The Suvega unfortunately was destroyed in a fire accident.
autocrat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 21:58   #24
BHPian

Thanks for sharing . My grandfather had a 1955 suvega model, which was later used by my Dad. Recently when I was in BLR, my
Mom sold the Suvega to a scrap dealer. Needless to say I was pissed and still not talking to her. These Suvegas do have a charm of their own.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 22:18   #25
CJP
BHPian

The Suvega was the first motorised vehicle in our home when I was growing up. The early seventies, I guess. It was olive green in colour and there are a few things different from this one, the petrol on/off was on top near the fuel filler cap. It was like an airscrew, if the screw was loosened, air would enter the tank, allowing the petrol to flow into the carb.

And the second difference was the decompressor built into the accelerator twist grip, pushing the twist grip away from the rider, decompressed the engine and it would stop. A push-pull switch on the headlight for lights and a spring-loaded button on the left side for the horn.

Lots of fond memories travelling around Bangalore, seated on the hard metal carrier at the back, hanging onto my Dad's belt as we zipped around MG Road, Cavalry Road, Commercial Street and around Ulsoor Lake. The Sunday evening rides around Ulsoor Lake was a special treat!

We had it for quite a while, and then it was sold off and was replaced by the Rajdoot Ranger. Angular tank, full 6V DC Electricals and fancy turn signal indicators.
CJP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 00:07   #26
BHPian

Awesome thread

This thread have me a trip down memory lane. My dad used to have a red Suvega which was later replaced by another moped Hero Majestic on which I learnt riding and have many fond memories.
Everlearner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 16:20   #27
BHPian

Thanks Karthik, for sharing.

Absolutely loved the video where it starts the first time.
And am thankful that Raju and other artists are doing well in the capitalistic world.
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:33   #28
AZT
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. The only Moped I saw growing up was the Luna and that too very rarely. Good to learn about Suvega and it's legacy.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 21:14   #29
BHPian

I had no idea what a Suvega is, I've never even seen anything like it. I care so much about motorcycles that I don't even know how to ride one (IE, not one bit).
But the passion really shows, and the restoration story was deeply engrossing. So, congratulations on completing this project and enjoying the fruits of your labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Raju, the chief mechanic - He did everything and the sole reason the Suvega got a new lease of life. Words cant thank all his great work. He was extremely patient and gentle. Did not do any trial and error nor any jugaads. He had to redo several works many times and did it patiently. Even though the last Suvega he had worked on was over a decade ago, he still managed to pull it off. 100/100 to Raju.
Really well documented and narrated story. It shows how a good mechanic can really swing things in your favour and make them happen.

Great thread!
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 17:20   #30
BHPian

This was our first motor vehicle. My Father brought in early eighties. Pastel Green color. I still vividly remember when my fathers friend brought this home. I was eagerly waiting for them to arrive. Still smell the smell of fresh paint. Have fond memories of going for ride with my father. He used to drop and pick me from school daily. This thread would be etched in the history!! Very nostalgic.
shijinpr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks