Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 19:29   #91
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
re: Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)

Automobile is not a short game,
Even after raising decent amount it took half a decade for Ather to come-up with a launch ready product, If you are building from scratch then there are multiple things which needs to be figured out. It is impossible to precisely calibrate suspension / Handle play / Ride quality with a completely new platform and no learning data in such short span(which TVS/ Bajaj had, they know how to calibrate suspension, handle other stuff)

They are betting on just EV tech, which is the core (code, electric motor & telematics) and plan to figure out solved problems (handling, suspension, chassis, electrical, comfort, practicality) at a later stage

Or they are looking for one of the larger player for acquisition (TVS, Yamaha, Bajaj) and provide know how of building structure and these guys will own just EV tech and not entire platform

Last edited by Asoon : 1st September 2021 at 19:30.
Old 2nd September 2021, 08:15   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Took this screenshot from the walkaroud video
This just shows how far they still have to go to be able to deliver a vehicle to actual customers.
Super research. The bike does look shockingly similar to the Ather in overall design. could even be the same bike re-dressed substantially.

I dont know what it is about the Simple but it did not attract me for a single moment. The guy simply did not inspire confidence, seemed all over the place and it seemed like figures were being thrown on a reactive basis.

Not for a moment did its superior figures even tempt me to think about it. That is completely the opposite of how I reacted to Ola. While part of me wants to be cautious on Ola, overall it already generates an Apple kinda desirability and vibe. And I am fairly ready to be a reasonably early adopter - maybe not a first mover but definitely in the early stage.

Simple seems to have too many question marks. I would follow this out of pure curiosity.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:29   #93
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
But why would a scamster be so stupid that he will present the VIN number before you to decode.
Shows how less attention they have paid IMHO!

VIN is still fine, even the registration number matches! A registration number on a prototype! What joke!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:59   #94
BHPian

A recent interview with Shreshth Mishra, the Co-founder of Simple Energy.
I think the question about the VIN number fiasco and the resemblance with Ather 450X was skipped as I don't see such question in the description timeline. That question should have been taken to add some value to the interview. Otherwise, this feels like just another advertisement.
Comments section is filled with gullible people.

Disclaimer: No vested interest with this particular YouTube channel.

Old 2nd September 2021, 13:36   #95
BHPian

Also, now when I see it, I think this prototype scooter is registered in the name of Suhas Rajkumar himself. Mparivahan app does put asterisks in between the name but it is not uniform. If one knows the full name of Mr Suhas then they can verify the last name too.
Either he has taken the touchscreen and its components including the software and pasted it directly on their self developed prototype scooter or this is just an Ather 450X under the skin! Let's see.

Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)-smartselect_20210815204021_mparivahan.jpg

Last edited by Sherlocked : 2nd September 2021 at 13:42.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:42   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Also, now when I see it, I think this prototype scooter is registered in the name of Suhas Rajkumar himself. Mparivahan app does put asterisks in between the name but it is not uniform. If one knows the full name of Mr Suhas then they can verify the last name too.

Attachment 2201433
Nice try Sherlocked, living up to your name I see

But Suhas doesn't fit into that masked name length. Something like "Tushar" would, however!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:59   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice try Sherlocked, living up to your name I see

Quote:
But Suhas doesn't fit into that masked name length. Something like "Tushar" would, however!
That's why I said that the asterisk placement is not uniform. For eg, in the below attached screenshot taken from the mParivahan app, the middle name is Kumar which is 5 characters but the app shows 6 characters. The first name is of 4 characters but the app shows 5.

Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)-img_20210902_134627.jpg
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:26   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Good guess there. Tushar was the most obvious conclusion but it is registered to a guy named Sudhir. Screenshot from an app which displays the entire name.
Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)-screenshot_20210902141942_carinfo.jpg
A quick search shows that Mr. Sudhir is an account manager at Simple Energy.
Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)-screenshot_20210902142147_chrome.jpg
What inference to draw from this is anybody's guess.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:31   #99
BHPian

Quote:
The Ather a.k.a (SimpleOne) is registered to one Mr Sudhir Rajkumar Kolewad as per below RC check.

Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3)-screenshot_20210902140747_carinfo.jpg
AJ739 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:37   #100
BHPian

What's concerning is that even when people are calling them out for changing specs post reveal and also providing false information, they haven't addressed any of that till now. Why is the company still silent about this even though they might be losing many potential bookings?
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Agreed. When I saw fellow members post about how the VIN number was an Ather product, I realised how dumb I had been by pre-booking it.

This would have been the first scam I had fallen for. Fortunately, after placing the cancellation request last week I have got the amount credited back to my account yesterday.

My wait for an electric two wheeler that can be charged at home continues.
Looks like we both are thinking alike. I too cancelled the pre-booking and got the money back within seconds.
We will wait and watch and see the product, test drive in person and once we gain confidence, will book again, if it is worth it to go forward.
Till then, like you said, wait continues for an electric two wheeler that can be charged at home.

For now, its okay, but I would need a 2W in Jan timeframe. IF nothing is working out, i am afraid, i may have to end up with a petrol scooter.

There is a tussle between Heart and brain - Let's see who wins.

-Ravi
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:44   #102
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Definitely red-flag

Unable to find details about company / funding round / investors

Startup tracking platforms like Techcrunch / Tracxn have no / very little info about them, yourstory has on article but its not as credible as above two

On linked in they have 50+ employees but none with the strong background, most of them are freshers / <2 years exp / have no background of products development (innovation/ idea can be attributed to talent but product development requires experience)

No Info on manufacturer / part provide (automobile development is not one man show, a quick scan on key component provider (e.g. Tyres) will let us know if development is on or not)

Plus there are other companies with same name "SIMPLE ENERGY" to confuse, you can find simple enery which has raised 8.9M USD but its not India based and founders are not same

And launched planned 1st Jan with not funds, manufacturing set up and right team

Would recommend all to get refund, one can always purchase after formal launched

Last edited by Asoon : 2nd September 2021 at 19:47.
Asoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 16:29   #103
BHPian

This is a fantastic investigative work! Going through Linked In, none of the employees seem to have a strong foundation in automobile design, electrical engineering or product design.

Is it possible that they are following a Micromax strategy of importing off-the-shelf components from China & assembling them here by slapping on a sticker?

For me, somehow, this company gives the same whiff as Nikola, the supposedly electric truck startup which was caught faking it's truck & is now mired in securities fraud case in US.
Desi Dybuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 23:28   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
But as of now i will keep my Rs. 1947 with me.
+1

One more point I noticed earlier was that, their presentation was a good 2 hours+ after Ola did their presentation. I'd followed both of them online.

Can't prove it, but they had enough time to catch up with Ola specs if it's a presentation that counts.

And Ola has done a very neat presentation indeed. Quite a concise showcase.

Meanwhile the Simple's all light and show was a bit of drag. When you know that you are upto a task and that too with a formidable foe, you should get it as good as it could be, not a half hearted attempt.

There was a guy to compere the whole presentation who seemed to have the right personality and confidence to give an intro to the scooter than the one delivered by CEO himself and that too in a pair of white shoes.
Old 7th October 2021, 09:07   #105
Senior - BHPian

Walkaround is out
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks